Rory switching to X7’s

He is trying the X7's because of the new TP5X.  That info is straight Wade on the tour van.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I like the x7 move. Soften the shots, flight the ball, easier to control. 

The missed cut was all swing... Not that I know anything about swing mechanics. I probably know the least. 

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

21 hours ago, mizuno player said:

Maybe he is prepping for firm fast greens for a tournament in April? 

I find it interesting if he only switched because of the ball. Why wouldn't he just keep using the old ball?  Or maybe the new ball is better with his driver? 

There must be something worthwhile in the new balls aerodynamics that make it worth switching for. The testing out there on YouTube shows the 5x spins a bit more than last year, while the 5 stayed about the same. He may be looking to go to the firmer ball for driver performance while swapping the shafts and keeping spin closer to the 5.

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Not sure if he was testing a lot beforehand but would think he needs a good amount of range time to be proficient with this shaft change on a PGA tour setup. Even though the profiles are similar on paper the project x 7.0 literally has almost no kick feeling to it and is right "with you" like rebar the entire swing. The X7 has much more of a "laggy" feeling where the clubhead feels just a tiny bit behind the shaft you get with Dynamic Gold. Also going to take some more time to figure out his gapping numbers as the setup is going to behave differently in different winds and conditions  you see on the course. Riv with the small landing area, crazy firm, and undulating greens is just such a tough setup to put these in play on. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

In 4+ years since switching to TM he only has 5 worldwide wins and no majors. Given how well he drives it, how about we look into the TM irons, wedges, and ball being inferior to what he was playing before. 

You think he has enough star power to pull a Tiger and have a different ball deal?  I would imagine BS would provide him a ball if he could do it.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

15 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

You think he has enough star power to pull a Tiger and have a different ball deal?  I would imagine BS would provide him a ball if he could do it.

It is crazy to think what it could be with that swing, driving prowess and already proven ability to get it done on the biggest stage. Is it the TM clubs? The ball? Changes physically? Marriages/family? Did it come too easy initially and he got complacent? It’s not like he hasn’t played great golf at points and he has consistently stayed in the top rankings, but what could it be? The last 6 years from 26 to almost 32 should have been his absolute prime. I’m a big Rory fan but really can’t put my finger on it.

• Like 3

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

18 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

No. Probably not. Rzn platinum was such a good ball too. IMO the Bridgestone XS is almost as good. TM ain’t in same ballpark (Fowler hasn’t busted an egg since he switched either) With that said, I think for rory it’s more irons and wedges. He oughta have TM pick up the phone and call MT. Not like it hasn’t happened before. 

4 minutes ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

No. Probably not. Rzn platinum was such a good ball too. IMO the Bridgestone XS is almost as good. TM ain’t in same ballpark (Fowler hasn’t busted an egg since he switched either) With that said, I think for rory it’s more irons and wedges. He oughta have TM pick up the phone and call MT. Not like it hasn’t happened before. 

You would almost think they would already prototype just about anything he wanted, no?  He’s had ‘proto’ stuff for ages. Could TM be standing in the way of that or he just hasn’t asked for the right things yet?  From the nosebleed seats, it sounds like he’s trying to band-aid a ball that just doesn’t work for him as well. Switching from X to standard last year, now switching iron shafts to dial in numbers...seems like a difficult way to go about it. 

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

11 minutes ago, Pomps said:

It is crazy to think what it could be with that swing, driving prowess and already proven ability to get it done on the biggest stage. Is it the TM clubs? The ball? Changes physically? Marriages/family? Did it come too easy initially and he got complacent? It’s not like he hasn’t played great golf at points and he has consistently stayed in the top rankings, but what could it be? The last 6 years from 26 to almost 32 should have been his absolute prime. I’m a big Rory fan but really can’t put my finger on it.

Significant others...been complicating the game for centuries. 

*That’s a joke everyone...no need to freak out. 

• Haha 3

Spider Tour X3

1 hour ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

In 4+ years since switching to TM he only has 5 worldwide wins and no majors. Given how well he drives it, how about we look into the TM irons, wedges, and ball being inferior to what he was playing before. 

Interesting, DJ, Morikawa and Wolff seem to have done ok with TM but We don’t have comparison points for the young guys.

I’m surprised that guys with as much money as Rory would limit themselves to one manufacturer. It doesn’t necessarily have to be inferior, simply not as good a fit as one of the others e.g. what are the odds that TP5X or TP5 are the best fit for Rory out of the dozens of balls on the market?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Interesting, DJ, Morikawa and Wolff seem to have done ok with TM but We don’t have comparison points for the young guys.

I’m surprised that guys with as much money as Rory would limit themselves to one manufacturer. It doesn’t necessarily have to be inferior, simply not as good a fit as one of the others e.g. what are the odds that TP5X or TP5 are the best fit for Rory out of the dozens of balls on the market?

For good players it’s not always even a matter of “not as good” or best fit. If it’s different than what you were successful with even if it’s technically better it can make a player worse because it induces uncertainty and then they start trying to recreate the things they saw before and then they start making unconscious adjustments to technique. Brilliance of tiger is he always insisted that whenever he tests equipment it better do exactly what he expects it to do given the swing he made. He is making no adjustments for equipment particularly launch, and spin on irons and wedges. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

You would almost think they would already prototype just about anything he wanted, no?  He’s had ‘proto’ stuff for ages. Could TM be standing in the way of that or he just hasn’t asked for the right things yet?  From the nosebleed seats, it sounds like he’s trying to band-aid a ball that just doesn’t work for him as well. Switching from X to standard last year, now switching iron shafts to dial in numbers...seems like a difficult way to go about it. 

He has always been a good team player and very agreeable. In reality he probably needs to be more demanding. Pull out a set from 2014 and play with them and see what’s different. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

Significant others...been complicating the game for centuries. 

*That’s a joke everyone...no need to freak out. 

It’s funnier because it’s true, in most cases 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

In my fitting last weekend the X7 and PX 7.0 were two of the shafts the fitter pulled. I’ve played the X7 before but was curious about the PX 7.0. The PX spun significantly less. It felt okay, had a decent kick, but was harsh on misses.

The X7 felt smooth and the numbers were similar to my X100’s with the exception that I could swing hard without snapping it left. The X7 was by far the best shaft in the drawer for me and I’m looking forward to getting them back in play, but it would be a huge change if I were coming from the PX like Rory is.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

9 hours ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

He has always been a good team player and very agreeable. In reality he probably needs to be more demanding. Pull out a set from 2014 and play with them and see what’s different. 

Agreed.  I also don’t think he’s doing himself any favors trying to hit cuts all the time.  Much more success when it was predominantly draws.  He misses so many greens with wedges it makes no sense

• Like 2

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Man with that talent should be able to win with any brand.

• Like 1
Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

10 hours ago, Sef said:

In my fitting last weekend the X7 and PX 7.0 were two of the shafts the fitter pulled. I’ve played the X7 before but was curious about the PX 7.0. The PX spun significantly less. It felt okay, had a decent kick, but was harsh on misses.

The X7 felt smooth and the numbers were similar to my X100’s with the exception that I could swing hard without snapping it left. The X7 was by far the best shaft in the drawer for me and I’m looking forward to getting them back in play, but it would be a huge change if I were coming from the PX like Rory is.

Where did you get your fitting that has a X7 as one of their shafts?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

12 hours ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

Rickie won the Phoenix Open in 2019 after switching to the TP5x. He’s been doing a lot more with his swing since then, so his issues probably aren’t all because of the golf ball. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

54 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

Rickie won the Phoenix Open in 2019 after switching to the TP5x. He’s been doing a lot more with his swing since then, so his issues probably aren’t all because of the golf ball. 

That was in the first month of the 2019 season. Adjustments to technique wouldn’t have started from equipment change yet. I know he has made some swing changes but you’ll never convince me some of it didn’t stem from adjusting to higher launch and lower spin from his ball and then changing shafts that came from that. 

1 hour ago, youngwaldo said:

Wk

PGA Superstore. You have to do the paid “Tour Van Experience” fitting, it’s not available as a shaft option for their regular on the floor fits. Upside if you order clubs the fitting cost is applied so essentially it’s still free if you’re able to make a choice and place your order.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

On 2/19/2021 at 10:34 PM, Fort Worth Pro said:

Dj and Rahm use the TMAG ball, no issues

haven’t looked at the stats, unquantified measure from the peripheral his putting sux 

followed by his 120 yd wedge game 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

22 hours ago, youngwaldo said:

Wk

I love my x7’s in both r9 tp B stamps txxxx and mb712

great in the wedges believe it or not - x100’s on steroids IMOP , with phenomenal feel , had c taper X 130 also, BUT the x7s aren’t simply a heavier x100

Major draw back for me x7 while had an amazing  sixth gear vs an x1 , they want to be hammered all the time.  Lastly 3-4 iron depending on the day where demanding clubs with those shafts in them.  Can’t say enough about them  In the wedges 

settled on x100 hard steeped 1 x time , nippon tour 125 x wedges 

Edited by drbonesvt

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 2/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, bigeasy said:

Man with that talent should be able to win with any brand.

Agreed for the most part. And it’s not like his irons/wedges are directly off the shelf either. But let’s say it is the equipment, this is the bed Rory made. He could have went as Brooks did and played whatever he wanted to focus on the best to win with but he chose the payday (rightfully so in every respect) to join TM. 

3 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

Dj and Rahm use the TMAG ball, no issues

haven’t looked at the stats, unquantified measure from the peripheral his putting sux 

followed by his 120 yd wedge game 

He has always struggled with the putter. Some years less than others. Other than 2019 his ball striking stats have been worse every year since switching. I think it’s a combo of ball change, wedge change, iron change, and as someone above said, trying to hit too many cuts. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fort Worth Pro said:

He has always struggled with the putter. Some years less than others. Other than 2019 his ball striking stats have been worse every year since switching. I think it’s a combo of ball change, wedge change, iron change, and as someone above said, trying to hit too many cuts. 

I didn’t know about the shot shape change 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN