It's OK to not be OK sometimes - Bubba Watson

Circaflex

Agree with Watson. One thing to remember is that haterz are going to hate. If you're getting hated on it's because you are successful, keep being successful and let the haterz keep on hating. If you stop even for a second to care what the haterz are saying then the haterz have won. Do your thing, ignore all distractions, ignore all haterz.

A great man once said "judge me by my haterz". More greatness, more haterz, that's just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

If you haven't been in his position it is really difficult to understand the pain. I saw my brother go through it and eventually he took his own life. Speaking out and being honest about the struggle is a wonderful step in the right direction. It takes a lot of guts to open up ... I wish him and anyone else struggling the  strength to persevere  and overcome. Be well everyone!

Sorry to hear about your brother.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

6 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:
22 minutes ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

If you haven't been in his position it is really difficult to understand the pain. I saw my brother go through it and eventually he took his own life. Speaking out and being honest about the struggle is a wonderful step in the right direction. It takes a lot of guts to open up ... I wish him and anyone else struggling the  strength to persevere  and overcome. Be well everyone!

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Than you MattyO1984 

37 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

I would look at it in another way, it’s not gotten dark, it’s become enlightened and that, in this instance is thanks to Bubba and to the OP for posting it.

Yep.  I agree.  The dark is constant.  Finding accepting conversation is actually light.   

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep.  I agree.  The dark is constant.  Finding accepting conversation is actually light.   

Agreed! My appreciation for golf and all it encompasses only grew when I realised I was struggling.

Golf on my own was good, golf with friends, watching golf, coming onto WRX - it gave me peace and helped quieten down whatever it was racing through my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

It’s always been pretty clear to me, that despite all his quirkiness, Bubba is a good guy. I actually think he’s pretty entertaining even if he’s had a few cringe worthy moments.  I hope he gets back to winning a few tournaments soon. 

Makes you wonder what turned the corner for him.  May have been meeting his wife, who knows.  He was pretty well publicized when he first got out on Tour for being pretty "difficult", if not entitled, and was known for not being real friendly to volunteers, overly concerned about free stuff, etc. - I remember an article that really raked him over the coals for the way he acted then a couple of years go by and seemed so much different, almost like success made him take a look at himself.  Still going with good family base and growing up a little bit.  Applaud him for talking about it, you never know who you might help.

Interstate article. Helps me understand bubba a little better. I have never liked him due to some of his on course antics, but this sheds a bit more light on those. I have thought a lot about the reasons behind peoples behavior, and this proves to be another instance of not fully knowing what’s behind the curtain for someone. I don’t really follow any players very closely and I did not know of his off course struggles in the last couple years. Glad to know he’s doing better.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 3:10 AM, Circaflex said:

Awesome to see his evolution as a person and understanding showing vulnerability is ok and there's nothing wrong with that. There will always be people who will attack him for it, and try to take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean you should hide that vulnerability.

• Like 3

@bladehunter I can relate, as well, and maybe why I sympathized with Bubba.  I recall his first interview where he opened up about his challenges. 

Testing in the 70s uncovered my faults; dyslexia, ADD, autism symptoms, and high IQ.  Just enough of each to not require strong meds but have their say in my life.  It took a long time to learn how to control their influence and mask their negative effects, especially when public speaking.  The high IQ was my savior, it brought balance to what could be chaos.  The good has always been seen though my accomplishments; with my skills, the bad, nobody wants to see mad.  😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

4 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

@Pepperturbo   I get what you mean on the IQ.   

Edited by bladehunter
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 hours ago, tw_focus said:

Agree with Watson. One thing to remember is that haterz are going to hate. If you're getting hated on it's because you are successful, keep being successful and let the haterz keep on hating. If you stop even for a second to care what the haterz are saying then the haterz have won. Do your thing, ignore all distractions, ignore all haterz.

A great man once said "judge me by my haterz". More greatness, more haterz, that's just the way it is.

Pretty good advice for a 12 year old 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:23 PM,  tw_focus said: 

Pretty good advice for a 12 year old

I think this commentary is more reflective of the ‘dance-off’ subculture mindset. Started w/West Side Story then Beat Street-Electric Boogaloo.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:49 AM, WhostherealSlimShady said:

I am sorry for your loss. People dont really understand and part of the issue is, trying to talk about it. For the longest time, there was this stigma that you cant talk about your feelings or whats bothering you; i grew up in a household like that and I am sure most others did here. Men were taught to be tough, dont show emotion, dont cry, dont talk about your feelings, just suck it up and move on. Times seem to be changing and more people are realizing mental health matters. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:06 AM, Christosterone said:

We are all human alike...

FWIW, he has a beautiful move...his lag is underrated and his ability to manipulate his hands at impact with that lag is unbelievable...

LOVE his swing

748E4D64-2433-4198-8381-03BAE405A084.jpeg

B9C24FAE-7D2B-4091-AF30-A739A93591CC.jpeg

47FC450E-E9A7-4929-B705-0A6399B6F994.jpeg

I've often told myself and my golfing buddies, if I could have one swing it would be Bubba's. His hands are remarkable and he's so consistent with his ball striking. Its truly remarkable.

• Like 2

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

35 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I've often told myself and my golfing buddies, if I could have one swing it would be Bubba's. His hands are remarkable and he's so consistent with his ball striking. Its truly remarkable.

Agree.  Bubba has physical agility, but what people fail to realize, for Bubba to control all the moving parts, it takes a certain type of mind.  Unfortunately, that kind mind comes with some consequences.  I know this first hand.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

44 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I am sorry for your loss. People dont really understand and part of the issue is, trying to talk about it. For the longest time, there was this stigma that you cant talk about your feelings or whats bothering you; i grew up in a household like that and I am sure most others did here. Men were taught to be tough, dont show emotion, dont cry, dont talk about your feelings, just suck it up and move on. Times seem to be changing and more people are realizing mental health matters. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

True.  And a very interesting subject to me. 

See I’m a watcher of people.  I learn by sight.  Most do to some degree. But I do near 100 %.  Write it down.  Nope.  I won’t get it.  Show me once. And I can do most anything.  So I watch to learn.  Anyway.  

I was finally raised by my grandparents, specifically my grandpa as I was attached to his hip most days.    He was a very hard, but fair man.  A ww2 draftee who later became an airborne ranger that later transferred to the air force (8th) before getting out.  Not bad for a guy who finished the 6th grade.   He had no quit.  He saw no obstacle that was too high.  And his bar was work from sun up to sun down.  

Said that to say.   He is my measuring stick for tough men.  And I saw that man cry more than any other man I can name.   Never in public. Never in a crowd. And never during adversity, only after.  During he was the calmest man I ever met.  

Certain things would trigger it.  Usual family or pet/animal related. loss etc.   He’s where I got my love of the land. Animals and self reliance.  But I never thought him weak for shedding a tear.  It made him real.  And I’ve never been ashamed of it because of this. 

I think the answer to this is better male role models for our boys.  This video game tough man crap isn’t the path.  It’s real actual examples being shown.  I could have told him anything and he would have heard me and helped me.  I don’t think that’s common place though.  But I try my best to talk to my boy daily.  Ask how he is. Make sure he can talk to me. And not pretend to be tougher than I am by hiding how I am for the day.  

this reminds me of my grandpas favorite saying , “ respect isn’t commanded. It’s earned , 100% of the time.  You can’t get it with a stick “      Was said to me the first time about animals on the farm because I tried to have a heavy hand with a horse.  Later reiterated about people.   I’ve found both to be exceedingly true. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It takes a healthy ego and a killer instinct to drive anyone to perform at a top level in pro sports. What's often different from sport to sport is the attitude of fans toward the obvious ego and killer instinct of their sports heroes. 

No one expects the average F1 driver to be relatable. It's understood that they're preternaturally talented, physically gifted and often become as rich as kings. Their quirks are accepted and embraced by fans. But then none of us can drive the way they do or even afford to try. 

Most golf fans play golf. They like to think their heroes are down to earth and totally relatable when in fact many of them have huge egos that probably bruise easily. Many of them are probably quite snobby toward the average player or fan but manage to hide it well to keep their sponsors happy. But let's be clear: if they didn't think they were better than 99.999% of all golfers they'd have never gotten to where they are. 

I think Bubba has evolved and grown up a lot since he first made it to the tour. He came up through the same high school and mini-tours that Boo Weekley and Heath Slocum rode up, and he's clearly distinguished himself from those former peers as well as nearly everyone else on Tour. He is never going to be as big a draw as Tiger but he's definitely in that next tier down that every tournament wants to have at their event. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 2/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, me05501 said:

It takes a healthy ego and a killer instinct to drive anyone to perform at a top level in pro sports. What's often different from sport to sport is the attitude of fans toward the obvious ego and killer instinct of their sports heroes. 

No one expects the average F1 driver to be relatable. It's understood that they're preternaturally talented, physically gifted and often become as rich as kings. Their quirks are accepted and embraced by fans. But then none of us can drive the way they do or even afford to try. 

Most golf fans play golf. They like to think their heroes are down to earth and totally relatable when in fact many of them have huge egos that probably bruise easily. Many of them are probably quite snobby toward the average player or fan but manage to hide it well to keep their sponsors happy. But let's be clear: if they didn't think they were better than 99.999% of all golfers they'd have never gotten to where they are. 

I think Bubba has evolved and grown up a lot since he first made it to the tour. He came up through the same high school and mini-tours that Boo Weekley and Heath Slocum rode up, and he's clearly distinguished himself from those former peers as well as nearly everyone else on Tour. He is never going to be as big a draw as Tiger but he's definitely in that next tier down that every tournament wants to have at their event. 

Very well said. 

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 

I have always liked Bubba as I saw a lot of me in him.  I don't have his anxiety, but I have quirky behavior that constantly make me a bit of an outsider and misunderstood.  I like that he does things his own way and isn't afraid to speak his mind most of the time.  I feel a bit the same about Bryson.  I think he is also just unique and quirky and comes off in a way too many people tend to judge and dislike.  Bryson I can also relate to, on the quirky thinker side of things.

• Like 3

Swing hard in case you hit it!