ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

They’re workhorses. Did you hit them off grass? It’s hard to understand how good they are until you game them to be honest. I think I’d have a lot of trouble moving out of Srixons at this point. The sole works so well for me. We have a crazy mix of soft and firm up where I am and somehow it excels at both. 

That is a fair point because I did not get a chance to hit them off grass. I typically pick the ball and dont take a divot (working on that).  Definitely a beautiful club though.

19 minutes ago, realmfg said:

That is a fair point because I did not get a chance to hit them off grass. I typically pick the ball and dont take a divot (working on that).  Definitely a beautiful club though.

Generally speaking, they are a better fit for a player with an attack angle >4 with a mid iron. Koepka 6 iron:

FDF339D5-594F-40BE-A7D0-79A87203C36B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Generally speaking, they are a better fit for a player with an attack angle >4 with a mid iron. Koepka 6 iron:

FDF339D5-594F-40BE-A7D0-79A87203C36B.jpeg

I have never even considered attack angle when choosing irons so this really interest me.  I just looked at my last Trackman report and each one of my irons averaged about 3.4

Where would that take me on a search for irons.  I currently play Srixon Z945’s.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

29 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I have never even considered attack angle when choosing irons so this really interest me.  I just looked at my last Trackman report and each one of my irons averaged about 3.4

Where would that take me on a search for irons.  I currently play Srixon Z945’s.

To be clear, it is very possible to play good golf with a more shallow attack angle. I started breaking par when my 8 iron was only 2-3 down. I do find that with moving my low point forward and increasing my angle of attack, my iron play is much better. Moreover, it allows you to be MUCH more successful out of the rough. As you can see, BKs low point in 7.5 inches after the ball - that is quite a ways. Mine is around 5-6 with about 6 AoA on a 6 iron. I think the 945 is probably a good fit for you at 3 down as the sole is a little more narrow. The first set of 745 I had I struggled with when my swing would get a bit "picky". I felt like I'd thin them a lot. Now I can't imagine playing without a Vsole.

I think the most important number is the low point. TXG often speak about how the Titleist or Miura sole grind can assist shallow players. In reality, it's less to do with AoA and more to do with low point. If your low point is only at or slightly in front of the ball, a sole like the Srixon may hinder your contact, and a sole like a Mizuno may cause you to hook up and catch it fat. A player who's low point is well in front but angle of attack is shallow may REALLY suit the Mizuno sole grind.  A player like myself who's low point is much in front but angle of attack is still steep benefits from the V sole greatly. I think the Srixon sole favors a) forward low point b) steep angle of attack (but can work for shallow as well if low point is forward) and c) delivers decent shaft lean. 

I’ll post this again because I think it demonstrates what the V sole does well. No swing critiques as it’s early season here (see: snow) but you can see the pitch mark beside my ball from my tee shot with driver. The ground is EXTREMELY soft and you can see how as the club enters the turf after the ball it does not dig it just glides right through. With the mizunos I used to play that would be rather trenchy. 

Edited by TigerInTheWoods
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To be clear, it is very possible to play good golf with a more shallow attack angle. I started breaking par when my 8 iron was only 2-3 down. I do find that with moving my low point forward and increasing my angle of attack, my iron play is much better. Moreover, it allows you to be MUCH more successful out of the rough. As you can see, BKs low point in 7.5 inches after the ball - that is quite a ways. Mine is around 5-6 with about 6 AoA on a 6 iron. I think the 945 is probably a good fit for you at 3 down as the sole is a little more narrow. The first set of 745 I had I struggled with when my swing would get a bit "picky". I felt like I'd thin them a lot. Now I can't imagine playing without a Vsole.

I think the most important number is the low point. TXG often speak about how the Titleist or Miura sole grind can assist shallow players. In reality, it's less to do with AoA and more to do with low point. If your low point is only at or slightly in front of the ball, a sole like the Srixon may hinder your contact, and a sole like a Mizuno may cause you to hook up and catch it fat. A player who's low point is well in front but angle of attack is shallow may REALLY suit the Mizuno sole grind.  A player like myself who's low point is much in front but angle of attack is still steep benefits from the V sole greatly. I think the Srixon sole favors a) forward low point b) steep angle of attack (but can work for shallow as well if low point is forward) and c) delivers decent shaft lean. 

I’ll post this again because I think it demonstrates what the V sole does well. No swing critiques as it’s early season here (see: snow) but you can see the pitch mark beside my ball from my tee shot with driver. The ground is EXTREMELY soft and you can see how as the club enters the turf after the ball it does not dig it just glides right through. With the mizunos I used to play that would be rather trenchy. 

Great post!!

Thank You 

FWIW, my low point almost matches my AoA, about 3.6 average with my 6i.

I may consciously try to address that now it has been brought to my attention!

Thank You again!

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 1

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

how do u like the recoil 110 F4?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

11 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

how do u like the recoil 110 F4?

Good evening!

I really get along well with that shaft.  I require graphite due to injury and I have found the Recoil 110F4 and the SteelFiber in regular flex are great for me.  The Recoil has more “feel” while the SF feels more like steel.  The great thing about both are they lend themselves to a wide range of swing speeds.  If you have a driver SS from upper 90’s all the way to 110 depending on tempo they can work well!!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

11 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

Good evening!

I really get along well with that shaft.  I require graphite due to injury and I have found the Recoil 110F4 and the SteelFiber in regular flex are great for me.  The Recoil has more “feel” while the SF feels more like steel.  The great thing about both are they lend themselves to a wide range of swing speeds.  If you have a driver SS from upper 90’s all the way to 110 depending on tempo they can work well!!

Agree with your assessment of SF! I had a demo iron with i95 reg and usually play DG X100 or PX 6.5 and I thought it actually felt stable! Very surprising.  Could easily play the stiff version! I see them in my future. Great shafts. 

• Like 2

Just ordered a set of ZX7's with KBS $ Tapers from DD's. quoted a 3 weeks but hoping they come sooner, really excited to get em on the course!

• Like 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, xandersingh said:

Just ordered a set of ZX7's with KBS $ Tapers from DD's. quoted a 3 weeks but hoping they come sooner, really excited to get em on the course!

Awesome!! Good luck, hope both our clubs get delivered soon!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I'm 2 early spring rounds into the ZX5's, I like them, have two concerns, my normal left miss is being accentuated (it seems), and i'm not sure i'm getting enough spin out of the mid to long irons, I noticed some mid iron approaches running out more than i'd like.  Still too early to say.  Wondering if i should have gone w the i210 but will give the ZX5s a fair shake.   

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

13 minutes ago, jjl said:

I'm 2 early spring rounds into the ZX5's, I like them, have two concerns, my normal left miss is being accentuated (it seems), and i'm not sure i'm getting enough spin out of the mid to long irons, I noticed some mid iron approaches running out more than i'd like.  Still too early to say.  Wondering if i should have gone w the i210 but will give the ZX5s a fair shake.   

Have them bent a degree weak to help with the spin and they may be a bit more stable. It will also remove a bit of the offset to help with how it looks at address for you.

8 hours ago, jjl said:

I’d also add that if they are going too far left when you weaken, go a degree flat. That will also take away a bit of left. 

12 hours ago, jjl said:

Were you fit for them? If not, are you playing them with a shaft you have played before with better results?

Edited by rondre3000

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

4 hours ago, mootrail said:

All the ZXs are 1/2" over the listed spec.  Didi you account for that when ordering?  Double check the shaft length before changing lies.

I remember someone telling me that Mizuno would always be 1/4”longer because they measured prior to installing the grip. 

1/2 in seems a bit much. My new set will be here next Tuesday. Will check and report back. 

4 hours ago, mootrail said:

All the ZXs are 1/2" over the listed spec.  Didi you account for that when ordering?  Double check the shaft length before changing lies.

I’m confused. I ordered a set at 1/4 inch short. Does this mean they’ll be 1/4 longer than listed on their website?

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

23 hours ago, mootrail said:

This is not correct. I've ordered 2 sets now at stock specs and neither were at 1/2" over.

• Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

2 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

This is not correct. I've ordered 2 sets now at stock specs and neither were at 1/2" over.

I will second this experience, my sets have come in at the stock spec lengths as well.  the srixon stock lengths match the mizuno stock lengths and when i compared the srixon irons to my mizuno irons, they were the same length.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, raywutang said:

I will second this experience, my sets have come in at the stock spec lengths as well.  the srixon stock lengths match the mizuno stock lengths and when i compared the srixon irons to my mizuno irons, they were the same length.

My Srixons are the same length as my Mizunos as well. Both were ordered standard length. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 8:46 PM, jjl said:

Have to tried bending them flatter? That could possibly help move your start line further right, and increase launch and spin. Generally the left miss is caused by either and closed face at impact that decreases launch and spin. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 4/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, rondre3000 said:

This is not correct

Let me rephrase my statement in that I did not check the ZX7s.  But the stock ZXUs, ZX4s (I bought one) and the ZX5s I picked up in the store were all plus 1/2".

So whether the ZX7s and or custom order lengths are different I can't say, but I'm not the only one to find the ZXs longer than specified by Srixon.

^^^ I found the same too.  I’m a long time Mizuno guy who has rebuilt many sets.  My found in my recent ZX7 / ZX5 build that the Srixon head weights were several grams lighter.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

For you Mizuno guys who switched over to Srixons, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the change.

I recently hit the new Srixons in a store and I thought they felt ok but not buttery like Mizunos.  But I only hit a few balls and didn't really dive deep into them.

The v sole is intriguing to me being somewhat of a thin ball hitter at times who mostly plays on tight lies and doesn't take many divots.

I play zx7 4-p and i do not take too many divots either.  My miss is hitting it thin sometimes and for me, the v sole has helped tremendously (particularly out of the rough and uneven turf) with confidence to go after it and it moves through it so smoothly.  Noticeable difference compared to my t100s which I felt went through rough decently. 

• Like 1

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

Why is it that when some who demo'ed the ZX7's with something else and they don't pick ZX7 or someone who left their PING i20's for the ZX7's and regret it the topic get's locked? Very interesting. They were not slamming them or did it sound like they were trolling, it was just a fact and not everyone will like hitting the ZX7 off a mat or hard pan surface. No matter what they would be in my bag if it were not for the fact that nothing has impressed me as much as the KING COBRA TOUR MIM irons do. No I do not need a back up set either.

Edited by Tiptx1122
mis spelled a word

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip