ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

1 hour ago, kyungchoi said:

how do these compare to titleist? say something like 716 ap2?

I think it all comes down to which sole works better. I can't comment on 716 but I love the 718 ap2 and the t100s, the sole of the srixon just worked better for me in my fitting which made it marginally more consistent and more forgiving

I waggled the 7’s last weekend at Golf Galaxy.  Surprisingly big, but still very sexy.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

1 minute ago, Mattn1106 said:

I was fit indoors and got better results with sole of srixon vs others. I have played a set of 785s for the past year and my friends have t100s and 718 ap2 so I've hit them all outdoors. Srixon works better for me

was just curious how the sole worked better for you off an indoor mat versus the grass which s what the srixon sole is built for....how do the two models compare for you off grass?

the srixons are so beautiful Good luck with them,

3 minutes ago, tsecor said:

was just curious how the sole worked better for you off an indoor mat versus the grass which s what the srixon sole is built for....how do the two models compare for you off grass?

the srixons are so beautiful Good luck with them,

In terms of numbers I don't know much about my swing (angle of attack) but during my fitting I was told I am more steep than I am shallow and do not pick the ball. Before the fitting we went through the standard questions about misses and while I do miss both fat and thin, I hit it fat more often than I do thin. Prior to playing the srixons I played MP18SC and when I missed it a touch fat the I found I get a lot more out of the srixons than I did the mizunos (my guess would be the sole works better for me). Both the t100s and zx7 irons look great to me and I would happily game either of them but my fitting suggested I will get away with more with the srixon than other options. Unfortunately I have not hit the zx7 off grass yet. Both options are incredibly good and I think at that point it comes down to which one will work better for your game. 

34 minutes ago, Mattn1106 said:

In terms of numbers I don't know much about my swing (angle of attack) but during my fitting I was told I am more steep than I am shallow and do not pick the ball. Before the fitting we went through the standard questions about misses and while I do miss both fat and thin, I hit it fat more often than I do thin. Prior to playing the srixons I played MP18SC and when I missed it a touch fat the I found I get a lot more out of the srixons than I did the mizunos (my guess would be the sole works better for me). Both the t100s and zx7 irons look great to me and I would happily game either of them but my fitting suggested I will get away with more with the srixon than other options. Unfortunately I have not hit the zx7 off grass yet. Both options are incredibly good and I think at that point it comes down to which one will work better for your game. 

same for me....when i have two in mind, i lean on what looks good to my eye as well.....i went with the T100-S over the srixon zx7 for the simple reason the zx7 looked a little chunky to my eye....both felt great and both performed pretty much the same.....

While I was picking up my new 3 wood today decided to hit the T-100 and the ZX-7.

Was swinging the 7 iron at about 82-88 via quad. The T-100 I was launching it @20 degrees getting about 168-173 yards with 5K spin using Project X LZ 6.0

For the ZX7, I was using a modus 105S and was launching at 16-18 getting 189-194 carry with 3.4K spin. 

Titleist felt good on center strikes, but Srixon’s felt fantastic! I’m assuming the spin difference is because Titleist are 3 degrees weaker. I’m also caulking up the lack of spin in both because the balls were off brand and would assume if I was using Z Star or ProV the I’d be up to 5-7K. 

Order is placed for the ZX7, guess if the spin/launch is too low, I can always a a bit of loft. 

For those smarter then me (sure it’s most) are my numbers alarming in any way?

Note that I was about 3 from the inside with about 5 down, and with the Titleist he said I was delivering around 26 degrees of loft. 

My nearly complete combo set of ZX4/5 are sitting right next an XP/P combo set. When I started looking for what irons I wanted to play I really had two MAJOR criteria: Long blage length, Minimal offset. 

The ZX4 is .146" and 0311XP is .15" in offset so a push. Zx5 8 iron has a slightly smaller profile compared to 0311P but offsets are .12 vs .110 respectively. The ZX5 is a chunkier iron that is clearly seen especially on the topline. Even the ZX4 is a really good looking iron so once my Ohio dept of health 10 days are up.... To the range for testing. 

So I got fitted last week after several years of bagging the i200’s. It was probably the best fitting experience I’ve ever had. 

I’ve always wanted to be fitted outdoors and although we couldn’t hit off the grass because there’s still snow on the ground, it was the next best thing. Hitting out of a garage onto the range using Flightscope to gather data. 

We started by narrowing down the shaft. I’ll spare the details and just get to the fact that the best performing and best feeling shaft for me was the KBS Tour 105. 

From there we moved on to heads. The fitter told me up front that he was a Callaway preferred fitter so he nudged me towards the Apex but I we also tried the ZX5, P770, 919 Forged and HMP, basically everything out there except the new Ping G425. 

I was determined to be open minded and just go by results and feel and the clear winner was the ZX5. I loved the weight, the feel, the sound and especially the ball flight. 

The fitter is building out the set for me and next week I’ll go back and we will test each club for loft and lie angle. I’m really looking forward to getting out there once’s the snow is gone. 

• Like 3

I was fitted for shafts yesterday on the Mizuno optimizer, so naturally the pro pulled out a 921 head and away I went. Well, the assistant pro is a Srixon rep and towards the end, he put a Zx7 head on for me. That was a mistake, because now I want a set. I won't trade in my CB's, but I could easily play both sets. Fantastic feel, wow!

• Like 1

Srixon irons have been sweet feeling forgings for a long time. Over the last ten years I’ve played i506’s and Z765’s. Everything else feels harsh to me. I especially dislike these new foam filled heads. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Srixon irons have been sweet feeling forgings for a long time. Over the last ten years I’ve played i506’s and Z765’s. Everything else feels harsh to me. I especially dislike these new foam filled heads. 

Absolutely, was gaming AP2's for about 7-8 years and got lost in the p790 distance sauce in a simulator.  However, once it came time to hit them(and mishit them) on the course I hated the feel and turf interaction, either an ok feeling in the sweet spot or miss it and get the worst dead feeling I've had with an iron. Sold em on ebay and just ordered a new set of Zx7's to get back to that forged feel. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kepeollie said:

I sense the sarcasm. My 7 iron carry has always been around 155, which is why I was alarmed. . Guess we will see. 

LOL

If you normally carry a 7 iron 155 and now you're carrying ANY other 7 iron almost 194 you should be alarmed.  shocked.gif

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

So I took the ZX5 7i out to hit along side my 919 HMP 7i. The ZX has a Recoil 95R, HMP has LX Tour 90g S. My swing is still a bit of a hot mess, was off for over a year trying to get elbow tendonitis to calm down (made worse by hitting off mats imho). Was keen to try the ZX5 due to the v sole, I find that I was a bit better with my i210s I had before switching to the HMP. 

When I got the ZX5, first thought was, “beautiful”. But second thought was that the sole seems about as wide as the HMP. I had a little better turf interaction with the ZX on the range (grass, but pretty hard pan). At this point I’m curious about the ZX7 mostly for the thinner sole. I’ve already gone to hybrids for my long irons, just more consistent results. But I used to be a good short iron player - maybe a pipe dream but I would like to get back to that. Fwiw I tried 919 Tour PW and didn’t get along with that, but am fine with full swing with a 58 Ping Glide2 with the TS grind and 55 Mizuno T20 in C grind. Go figure...

I suppose the only way to test it is to test it.

Reference photos - 919 HMP and ZX5

2082474681_7i-1.jpeg.119e90123be31c3513ddbbc85e5339ed.jpeg1528851102_7i-2.jpeg.18d6e333bfe93e312ff115cf60d17624.jpeg1167034125_7i-3.jpeg.571f577d8d416dfc6026d1a4f0d7b694.jpeg

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

So I took both 7 irons back out to the range today and as the song says, "what a difference a day makes..."

While I"m still sorting some swing issues, path was better and most importantly ball focus was good. For me, the ZX5 was performing much better, mostly with how it dealt with the turf. We had some rain yesterday but the range is still pretty hard pan. On good contacts the ZX5 was flying out to the 150 flag (range balls) and plenty of height. When I wasn't finding the center at least it was getting out there - not too bad of a penalty (short but in-play).

I have a couple of the new 0211 irons coming, will be curious to compare those, and I'm still pondering picking up a ZX7 8-iron to give another data point. But the HMPs will be heading out as I couldn't quite bond with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nostatic said:

So I took both 7 irons back out to the range today and as the song says, "what a difference a day makes..."

While I"m still sorting some swing issues, path was better and most importantly ball focus was good. For me, the ZX5 was performing much better, mostly with how it dealt with the turf. We had some rain yesterday but the range is still pretty hard pan. On good contacts the ZX5 was flying out to the 150 flag (range balls) and plenty of height. When I wasn't finding the center at least it was getting out there - not too bad of a penalty (short but in-play).

I have a couple of the new 0211 irons coming, will be curious to compare those, and I'm still pondering picking up a ZX7 8-iron to give another data point. But the HMPs will be heading out as I couldn't quite bond with them.

why haven't you tried the new KING Cobra Tour MIM irons with Recoil shafts as I would be very curious as to what you would think about them 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

2 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

why haven't you tried the new KING Cobra Tour MIM irons with Recoil shafts as I would be very curious as to what you would think about them 

well, budget isn't unlimited at the moment 😉 That said, I ordered a ZX7 8i. If that works for me then I'd add a few ZX7 short irons and maybe a ZX5 6i. While I love my F9 3H, I still prefer looking down at an iron shape most of the time but my diminishing swing speed says hybrids. I am curious about the Cobras though...

16 hours ago, nostatic said:

A direct comparison with the 0211 is to compare the loft and length, not club number. A buddy of mine ran the numbers and the PXG is virtually identical to the ZX7 EXCEPT they are numbered one club stronger. The PXG 7 iron says 6 on the Srixon.

1C0CF761-7E0C-4B29-B4A8-3733A78B91DE.png

0B9E4476-EA21-4733-87EA-87410905B03D.png

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

These 

18 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

A direct comparison with the 0211 is to compare the loft and length, not club number. A buddy of mine ran the numbers and the PXG is virtually identical to the ZX7 EXCEPT they are numbered one club stronger. The PXG 7 iron says 6 on the Srixon.

1C0CF761-7E0C-4B29-B4A8-3733A78B91DE.png

0B9E4476-EA21-4733-87EA-87410905B03D.png

preaching to the choir. I have the ZX5 7i, I didn't bother to get an 0211 7i, instead starting at 8i (although it is a bit more complicated as I typically get irons +1/4" long). These days I ignore the iron number as it just serves as more decoration. When I say "compare", I'm talking more about feel, turf interaction and just generally how I hit the package. Comparing two "7 irons" indoors and focusing on distance doesn't really tell me anything. Even if they have the same loft they still could have very different feels, spin, descent angle, etc.

I've been fit a couple of time indoors and also did lessons indoors. I'm never going to do either of those again for a variety of reasons, but I can say I learned a lot - particularly that most online reviewers focus on things that sell clubs but don't help me score.

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, realmfg said:

Hit the zx7s yesterday. Great looking golf club thats for sure, but didnt make me want to part with my i210s.  If I were in the market for new irons, I would take a hard look at the zx7, but for some reason I think I expected more from all the hype.

End of the day ZX7 is just a one piece forged. How different can it be? Sure look sexy as hell in the bag though haha. 🤣

Frankly I’m ready for ZX8 though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, realmfg said:

Hit the zx7s yesterday. Great looking golf club thats for sure, but didnt make me want to part with my i210s.  If I were in the market for new irons, I would take a hard look at the zx7, but for some reason I think I expected more from all the hype.

They’re workhorses. Did you hit them off grass? It’s hard to understand how good they are until you game them to be honest. I think I’d have a lot of trouble moving out of Srixons at this point. The sole works so well for me. We have a crazy mix of soft and firm up where I am and somehow it excels at both. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, realmfg said:

I left i210's for the ZX7's.  I was playing a G410 4 iron, and 5-PW i210 set.  

The soles of the i201's are crazy good, well that is until I compare them to the soles of the Srixon's.  I am in Atlanta and in the winter it becomes a wet mess, bunch of rain and dormant bermuda grass does this every year.  However because of the clay and lack of rain in the summer it gets really firm.  Shoot there are some places where it is already firm on my home course.

Luckily I had 765's in Scotland (2018) and in Atlanta before going to the i210's and can say the Srixon's performed great on firm turf as well.  Honestly I wasn't a huge believer in turf interaction until 2017 when I joined a club in Atlanta where the Srixon PGA Tour rep is a member and got to try them.  Honestly the 785's were good and I could not find any decent prices or I would have gone with them over the i210's.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One