ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

That may be why I don't get so many jokes nowadaze !!! :classic_laugh:

Brevity may be the soul of whit but it's often the enemy of clarity.

And given how we live today in the new twitter-verse,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

I googled "attention span" and got "12 seconds". Sounds about right.

And the very first hit I got tells me the snippet below (after all, who looks at more than the first google result - unless the first link doesn't immediately answer our question hysterical2.gif)

"Fierce competition for consumer attention

In 2000, Microsoft conducted a study measuring how long people can focus on one thing for a specific amount of time. The results showed the average person’s attention span was 12 seconds. About 15 years later, it dropped to 8 seconds.

A recent study from the Technical University of Denmark suggests our collective global attention span is narrowing because of the abundance of information presented to us. So much demands our attention that we can only focus on each new “trend” for a short time.

These dips correlate strongly to mobile phone adoption and the growth of social networks and video sharing online. The Oracle ID Graph shows that the average person has about 5 devices, which means they have endless choices about what content to consume and how. The competition to capture their attention through advertising will only grow more intense, and the most successful marketers will be able to strengthen their consumer relationships with compelling ad creatives."

I highlighted the germane points,,,,,,, just in case you couldn't focus on the entire snippet. hysterical.gif 

hi sorry I got 12 seconds in distracted by the moving gif emoji's and didn't see anything about those beautiful ZX7/5s.

Let's see more pics and opinions about how great they are!

🙂 

Edit: to clarify, my Sarcasm font is ON but apparently not working 

Edited by PNW

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

12 minutes ago, PNW said:

hi sorry I got 12 seconds in distracted by the moving gif emoji's and didn't see anything about those beautiful ZX7/5s.

🙂 

Yesterday I had my best range session yet, happy that I've filled out my ZX7s from 7-PW. I confirmed that I prefer the ZX5 6i to hybrid (hybrid will hit the BST shortly) and am contemplating adding a 5i back to the mix and dropping back down to only a 3H - and perhaps trying 6i in ZX7, though 6-7 may be my break point.

Only other tweak may be bending them 1* upright as I think I'm a bit toe-down at impact. But still working through some swing details so that can wait.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

2 hours ago, PNW said:

🙂 

Edit: to clarify, my Sarcasm font is ON but apparently not working 

ZX7/5s ??? :classic_blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Tested both yesterday and Zipcore wedges. Visually I preferred the ZX5 over the 7 and performance backed this up for me. Miyazaki Codex 8 surprised me and performed very similar to my Steelfiber i95 which I've been using for 10 years. Zipcore were nice although that Spinner shaft being soft stepped really feels loose coming from S400. Didn't seem like an upgrade from RTX4 to me although they're nice wedges.

Whatever works.

Anyone have direct comparison/experience with the ZX5's and Cobra Forged Tec ('20) ?

The seem to be in the same class.

I have some Cobras that I have a love/hate relationship with. 

Love the 6-9, hate the PW & GW. Cannot hit them consistently to save my life!

Wondering about the Set wedges in the Srixons.

Thanks

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Does anyone happen to know the head weight on ZX7s? I haven't been able to find this elsewhere. 

• Haha 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

9 hours ago, MitchCumstein said:

I’ll make sure to relay your really great story to the many guys playing 5 series Srixon irons on the PGA Champions Tour and that their irons are likely making certain shots worse and harder to play.  I’m sure they will take this very seriously coming from me because I also played D1 golf, and so did they but they are cashing checks on the golf course for a living, not me.  Many of them have won events on the PGA Tour as well.  There are also former PGA Tour winners playing G series Ping Irons on that tour.  I bet you’re a better ball striker than those guys because you got fit and your college coach made you play blades.  Great story by the way.  

Not sure why you took it personal, just said it’s important to get fitted.  Just because a club is classified as easier hitting doesn’t mean it will work better for everyone.  Everyone has different swings and different strikes, so different off sets and different bounces work differently for different people.  Again the importance of getting fit over assuming one club will be better then the other.  The ZX5 feels very different then the ZX7, that again is a personal choice.  

• Like 1

anyone with the name Mitch Cumstein should get booted immediately

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

55 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

anyone with the name Mitch Cumstein should get booted immediately

still pissed about the whole night putting thing, eh?

• Like 1

This thread sure has gone off the tracks again . I'm surprised it keeps finding its way back on.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

37 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

This thread sure has gone off the tracks again . I'm surprised it keeps finding its way back on.

This is the way. 🙂  I'll put up a review of my ZX5s once I Have more seat time with them, but preliminary results are nothing short of fantastic. Just working on dialing in distances, but weather keeps going from 50 degrees to 70 degrees to 50s and 60s. So ball flight will be slightly different until the steady warm weather hits here in southern new england.

--kC

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

20 hours ago, RainShadow said:

Anyone have direct comparison/experience with the ZX5's and Cobra Forged Tec ('20) ?

The seem to be in the same class.

I have some Cobras that I have a love/hate relationship with. 

Love the 6-9, hate the PW & GW. Cannot hit them consistently to save my life!

Wondering about the Set wedges in the Srixons.

Thanks

I managed to get ahold of a 5,7,9 set of Forged TEC's and take them out on the course during my trialing time before settling on my irons.

IN short the ZX5 long and even mid irons I like more than the Forged Tec.  I personally did not care for the ZX5 below 7 iron from a looks perspective, and preferred the Forged Tecs in the 9 iron vs the ZX5 in the 9 iron.  I did not try them on the same day, but I am confident in my feelings there.

This is why I did a combo set.  In the end the ZX7's were easy to hit in 7 iron down, and the 6 makes me work a bit, which is why I use it on the range a bunch.  I almost went 4,5,6 in the ZX5's, but decided on just the 5 since I wanted the 6 to be ZX7 and use it to work on my ball striking.  I also decided to go ZX4 in the 4 iron.  I took a complete flyer with it instead of the utility.  My thinking was that the ZX4 should launch higher than a same lofted utility with the same shaft, and I am on the lower ball flight spectrum.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

15 hours ago, Pkcpga said:

Not sure why you took it personal, just said it’s important to get fitted.  Just because a club is classified as easier hitting doesn’t mean it will work better for everyone.  Everyone has different swings and different strikes, so different off sets and different bounces work differently for different people.  Again the importance of getting fit over assuming one club will be better then the other.  The ZX5 feels very different then the ZX7, that again is a personal choice.  

Nothing personal here but which is it?  Get fitted or blindly accept a set of blades from a college coach or any random stranger because that is what we should all be doing like you did because its better even though they weren't fitted?  Forgive me if I'm skeptical, I know many former mini tour players that could barely break 80 but whose well meaning parents continued supporting them in spite of this fact until after several years of not cashing a single check and joining reality.  

14 minutes ago, MitchCumstein said:

Nothing personal here but which is it?  Get fitted or blindly accept a set of blades from a college coach or any random stranger because that is what we should all be doing like you did because its better even though they weren't fitted?  Forgive me if I'm skeptical, I know many former mini tour players that could barely break 80 but whose well meaning parents continued supporting them in spite of this fact until after several years of not cashing a single check and joining reality.  

Whole point of what I wrote was, my college coach was the first person that properly fitted me, now Club Champion.  Getting fitted into what works for you is more important then reading a blind review.  No blanket statement about a so called more forgiving club being better for everyone is not the case.  Every swing is different and every person has what looks and feels better to them to evoke more confidence.  Finding a club that gives you the numbers you are looking for and the consistency you are looking for is more important then the style or what club is so called better or more forgiving.  Some of my college teammates still play on tour, my college instructor and shortly after college while on the Nike tour was a PGA tour player, then retired and instructing, Lighthorse Harry Cooper.  After that I’ve worked with other well known instructors and did run out of money before breaking onto the PGA tour, did have two top 10 finishes on the then Nike tour right before it switched to the buy.com tour, now called the Korn Ferry Tour.  Never won or made enough money to stay on tour, but I tired and often played under par.  Will say the prize pool was not nearly as much money back then as it is today.  Back then the player ranked 1st was lucky to earn 150k, today it’s around 500k, plus today sponsors pay rather then just give you free equipment.  Which is great means golf’s minor league has grown in the last 20 years.  
Sorry way off track, my point still is get fitted or at least try the clubs and see what works best for you.  No manufacturers or reviewers description is enough to buy blindly.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pkcpga said:

Whole point of what I wrote was, my college coach was the first person that properly fitted me, now Club Champion.  Getting fitted into what works for you is more important then reading a blind review.  No blanket statement about a so called more forgiving club being better for everyone is not the case.  Every swing is different and every person has what looks and feels better to them to evoke more confidence.  Finding a club that gives you the numbers you are looking for and the consistency you are looking for is more important then the style or what club is so called better or more forgiving.  Some of my college teammates still play on tour, my college instructor and shortly after college while on the Nike tour was a PGA tour player, then retired and instructing, Lighthorse Harry Cooper.  After that I’ve worked with other well known instructors and did run out of money before breaking onto the PGA tour, did have two top 10 finishes on the then Nike tour right before it switched to the buy.com tour, now called the Korn Ferry Tour.  Never won or made enough money to stay on tour, but I tired and often played under par.  Will say the prize pool was not nearly as much money back then as it is today.  Back then the player ranked 1st was lucky to earn 150k, today it’s around 500k, plus today sponsors pay rather then just give you free equipment.  Which is great means golf’s minor league has grown in the last 20 years.  
Sorry way off track, my point still is get fitted or at least try the clubs and see what works best for you.  No manufacturers or reviewers description is enough to buy blindly.  

I agree all should get fitted.  Glad its working out for you.  

Back on track, how about those Srixon irons eh? 

Night putting is not acceptable on golf wrx, check the rules

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I know Srixon and a few other OEM's don't get the Love that they deserve but I think we have talked enough now about the ZX5 and ZX7, just going on in circles now, getting to be overkill now. Threads keeps getting off track. Get fitted, hard to hit off hard surfaces ZX5's in the long irons ZX7 mid to short, feels fantastic we all heard about them and what Brooks Koepka has done with them his 1st time out. Hope he get his 1st Major soon with his new Srixon's or they may end up like his previous set of Mizuno's which he has 4 Major wins with. Too bad Keegan Bradley mishit that shot into the water which cost him the tournament but what a nice eagle he had Saturday. Thread is jumping all over now but I'm glad people are enjoying them but what else is there to talk about that we haven't already heard, well for one there is going to be a new kid in town and has anybody notice the new i59 PING's WOW. I hope when the new i59's do get release regardless on how popular PING might be they get the recognition as I know they will be a hit. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

25 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I know Srixon and a few other OEM's don't get the Love that they deserve but I think we have talked enough now about the ZX5 and ZX7, just going on in circles now, getting to be overkill now. Threads keeps getting off track. Get fitted, hard to hit off hard surfaces ZX5's in the long irons ZX7 mid to short, feels fantastic we all heard about them and what Brooks Koepka has done with them his 1st time out. Hope he get his 1st Major soon with his new Srixon's or they may end up like his previous set of Mizuno's which he has 4 Major wins with. Too bad Keegan Bradley mishit that shot into the water which cost him the tournament but what a nice eagle he had Saturday. Thread is jumping all over now but I'm glad people are enjoying them but what else is there to talk about that we haven't already heard, well for one there is going to be a new kid in town and has anybody notice the new i59 PING's WOW. I hope when the new i59's do get release regardless on how popular PING might be they get the recognition as I know they will be a hit. 

There was nothing new to add in the Kirkland ball thread a couple of years ago after about 10 pages but that didn't stop anybody from posting.🤣

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Time to lock the thread

The consensus is here, now

ZX7 best?

(a haiku in honour of the ZX5 and ZX7)

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

No reason to lock, maybe just unpin. But I’m not a mod, don’t play one on tv, and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

it’s the internet - thread drift happens. Almost every topic has been covered ad nauseum. The rabbit holes keep it interesting…

On topic, today was a gapping session with ZX7 9i, PW, and CBX2 50 and 52 wedges. I think the 50 is the right fit as I can hit it smooth rather than try and press the 52. Will get to play a round on Friday, hopefully the swing holds up. It’s getting there. Now that I’m more consistent I should hit some of the ZX5 short irons to compare again.

Then let's try to stay on the topic nothing personal as sometimes people just want to keep a thread open as long as they can without realizing they are off subject and then what.  Thats why you have facebook. I like their irons and I would own a set if I was in the market for a new set...maybe. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

1 minute ago, Peterman6068 said:

Is it possible to get a free upgrade to $ taper in stiff flex? I only see R and X available. 

Are you on the Srixon site? I ordered from Carls - they have all the options. The Srixon site was wonky for me - I could never customize and get Recoil 95 in F3 - it only showed F5. Ordered through Carls and got the clubs quickly so it likely wasn't a stock issue, not sure why all the options didn't show.

1 minute ago, nostatic said:

Are you on the Srixon site? I ordered from Carls - they have all the options. The Srixon site was wonky for me - I could never customize and get Recoil 95 in F3 - it only showed F5. Ordered through Carls and got the clubs quickly so it likely wasn't a stock issue, not sure why all the options didn't show.

Yeah, I was looking at the Srixon sure. I’ll check Carl’s out. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Peterman6068 said:

Yeah, I was looking at the Srixon sure. I’ll check Carl’s out. Thanks!

Most likely removed from Srixon’s site because KBS and Srixon are both out of stock right now.  KBS seems to be very out of stock on all their shafts, I use KBS tour V tour spec S+ and I ordered a few wedges a 6 weeks ago, shafts are still not in.  Club Champion has the heads and grips but no shafts from KBS yet.  S tapers are great shafts, played them for a few years.  

I did the combo breaking at the 6i.  My thoughts on each
- The ZX7 is everything I expected with one exception...I have gained some serious distance going from the Z945 with 110 F4 Recoils to the ZX7 with the 95 F4 Recoils.  It is every bit of one club consistently.

- The ZX5 lets you get away with more and is a little longer yet.

Both superb but I do like the size and sole width of the ZX7 more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD