2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

GAINBRIDGE LPGA (FEB 25-28)

52 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Nelly Korda what's in the bag?

(BTW, I am a huge Brooke Henderson fan as I live within a couple miles of the border.)

Pretty much a Titleist bag at this point. 

Nelly WITB

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I enjoy reading this artiticle written by Keely Levins of Golf Digest!  It's more intimate and in depth compared to Beth Ann Nichols of Golf Week.

Too bad, Keely doesn't write often and she doesn't cover LPGA like a blanket!  Otherwise, it would help grow LPGA.

Korda sisters grab first two LPGA titles of 2021 with Nelly winning at Lake Nona

"Nelly Korda is one of those golfers who looks like she’s virtually always in control. Her stoic face doesn’t change much during a round—unless she’s joking with her playing partners. She gives off a calm, balanced vibe.

So it was surprising to see her break down in tears after winning the Gainbridge LPGA at Lake Nona on Sunday, her fourth LPGA Tour win."

This interview is certainly a big improvement over Lisa Cornwell, it looks like the Golf Channel is on the right track personnel wise.

A Golf Channel video:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/jessica-kordas-win-motivated-nelly-korda-ato-win-2021-gainbridge-lpga

Edited by 18majors

I guess I could congratulate Nelly on her win!  LOL

It was impressive, you know, once I pretended not to know who won...

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It was interesting to hear Nelly's comments during the interview with Jerry on the 18th green. She said she was stressed. Boy, she sure didn't look stressed out there. Looked like a walk in the park. If she can manage her emotions that well on the course, she'll have a great career. Inbee comes to mind when one thinks about players who look cool as a cucumber, yet admit to having a big dose of nerves.

Oh, and her quip about her caddie being to positive at times was good for a laugh.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Had hopes for Patty or Lydia.  Maybe next week.

And must say am disappointed in the WWGR website   Now more than one full day has passed since  the tourney ended and still no data update.  Compare the OWGR, and there you will find near immediate results.  Naturally we must plow thru the WWGR Rolex ads before any info.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Pretty much a Titleist bag at this point. 

Nelly WITB

Actually, I don't think that list is 100% correct. Jerry mention during yesterday's broadcast that she was hitting a 7 wood, but the list includes a 4h.

11 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Tell me I wasn't the only one that laughed for a good two minutes when Judy pretty much scolded Angel Yin after her approach on 18. 

Angel needed to be that player from the third day of Solheim 2019 today.

I caught that from Judy. And I also caught the comments from Jerry Foltz talking about how much Nelly had to stand around and wait on her playing partners. 

6 minutes ago, North Texas said:

I caught that from Judy. And I also caught the comments from Jerry Foltz talking about how much Nelly had to stand around and wait on her playing partners. 

Yeah...that was interesting.  He seemed more frustrated than Nelly and the other commentators didn't take the bait and jump in.  I couldn't tell if he meant how bad the playing partners were playing that made them slow or they were just slow players in general.  Are those two known for being slow in general.  

Edited by jt2gt

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

It was interesting to hear Nelly's comments during the interview with Jerry on the 18th green. She said she was stressed. Boy, she sure didn't look stressed out there. Looked like a walk in the park. If she can manage her emotions that well on the course, she'll have a great career. Inbee comes to mind when one thinks about players who look cool as a cucumber, yet admit to having a big dose of nerves.

Oh, and her quip about her caddie being to positive at times was good for a laugh.

The irony after all my bitching about the 8 PM tape delay is that I got caught up doing something else and completely forgot about the golf and missed it lol.  It was 11 PM and I remember "Oh the LPGA" lol  Good job guys when one of your most dedicated fans misses the airing of your coverage.  I think they replay it during the day tomorrow, so I'll check and see and DVR it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jt2gt said:

Yeah...that was interesting.  He seemed more frustrated than Nelly and the other commentators didn't take the bait and jump in.  I couldn't tell if he meant how bad the playing partners were playing that made them slow or they were just slow players in general.  Are those two known for being slow in general.  

I haven't seen enough of Patty to tell if she's slow or not, I've never thought Angel was slow when watching her.  Although, I do remember in Hawaii  about 4-5 years ago Christie Kerr used slow play as a weapon to throw her opponent off and over come a deficit to win the tournament.  I remember being very offend by the use of such tactics and yet somehow impressed by the caginess of this move from the wily vet.  Maybe someone thought slow play could throw Neely off her game.

4 hours ago, North Texas said:

I didn't watch the full broadcast, but it seemed like they were waiting on the group ahead of them at times.

They also mentioned that Nelly plays really fast and I thought there was an interview piece where Nelly mentioned she has to slow herself down sometimes. 

I'm thinking Nelly and Angel were having a good time playing together because they were chatty. I believe I heard them discussing pace of play once and Angel mentioned something like, "At least Nelly wasn't a jerk about it when pace of play was slow."

• Like 3

Nelly is definitely a fast player. I swear she hit her approach shots a few times when here opponents ball was still in the air. She doesn't mess around.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Nelly is definitely a fast player. I swear she hit her approach shots a few times when here opponents ball was still in the air. She doesn't mess around.

Reminds me of when my son was playing junior college golf at McCook, Nebraska. Watched him tee off from the right side of the tee on one hole. Son picks up his tee and takes a quick look at his ball and we hear a whack. Another kid had hit literally before my son's ball had started its descent, lol. 

Edited by North Texas
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 18majors said:

This interview is certainly a bifg improvement over Lisa Cornwell, it looks like the Golf Channel is on the right track personnel wise.

A Golf Channel video:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/jessica-kordas-win-motivated-nelly-korda-ato-win-2021-gainbridge-lpga

Ouch..throwing some shade on Lisa Cornwell..

On 2/28/2021 at 4:49 PM, Argonne69 said:

This is very difficult to post without using a massive dose of profanity, but I'll give it a try. Is it absolutely necessary for NBC/TGC to announce the results of the LPGA tournament during the PGA coverage when they've made the decision to not show the event until the wee hours of the night? I simply don't understand the utter stupidity of the clowns managing the schedule and broadcast. Grrrrrr. 

I sent Dan Hicks a personal message on Instagram expressing my frustration regarding no spoiler alert! LOL That should take care of the problem. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I'm a big fan of Nelly but that writer has no clue. Nelly can be a walking F-bomb out there. In fact, it was this event last year in which she unleashed one F-bomb after another, specifically during the second round. She got plugged against the lip of a bunker on #3 but didn't know it. Nelly was looking for her ball between the two greenside bunkers. When I pointed out where it was, Nelly exploded with a pronounced F-bomb. The two guys next to me laughed and said, "I don't blame her."

There was another F-bomb on #8 when her wedge approach hit the flag and ricocheted off the green. Granted, Nelly was playing poorly and obviously frustrated. I heard her tell her caddie that she had no idea where she was aiming. I think I mentioned that comment here.

Nelly manages the profanity and uses it primarily when she's in an obscure situation without cameras guaranteed to capture. But anyone who follows her regularly fully understands how often she can explode, unlike Jessica who is less emotional out there. The same thing happened in CME 2019 when Nelly's errant tee shots were seldom but when they did happen she was receiving awful breaks...up against a tree, etc.

That writer must be someone who sits in the press room and merely inherits the visual version instead of actually following the groups.

Regardless, excellent win by Nelly. She's definitely transitioning her game to avoid the left miss. The blocks are now more frequent and kind of boring but mostly harmless. 

However, Nelly's putting is not even close to as aggressive as it used to be. It's kind of a startling change. When I began following her in Florida several years ago Nelly was the most undervalued player out there because it was a mix of aggressive accurate shotmaking combined with aggressive putting. Then the short miss started to show up. In particular I remember an 18 inch par miss on 16 during the third round of 2019 CME. Nelly is not nearly as confident now on those short putts. It translates to her putting in general. It can be like Michelle Wie circa 2015 with every putt needing another 18 inches of pace. 

Nelly is now decelerating and babying the short putts. Great fortune yesterday on that round the world putt when the outcome was in doubt. The only putt I saw on the weekend that resembled her prior putting style was the birdie on 16 on Saturday. That putt startled Judy Rankin to such degree she said it dove into the hole. 

It will be interesting to see how her putting holds up the remainder of the year. I don't agree that the Koreans will fade away, especially Jin Young. She is clear the best player out there. Sei Young was always going to be erratic given that frame. Inbee was extremely motivated to make the Olympic team at this time last year. Now that she's there in Rolex she knows she doesn't have to play as much or be as effective. Everything will be geared toward Tokyo. 

Unfortunately, this is how internet journalism is done these days and covid only makes it worse.  Not many actually go out and see for themselves.  That's why when we do see stories where it is obvious the reporter went out and actually experienced what they are reporting on, it is so much better.