2021 ANA Inspiration (Apr 01 - 04)

Argonne69

Ok, not trying to rain on Patty the bombers parade, but can I assume correctly between the high temps and roll out everyone was hitting it a bit longer. 

According to the LPGA.com in the 4th round Charley Hull was averaging 332, Brooke 317, Nanna Madsen 319,Anna Norquist 281 who usually knocks it 255.

11 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Ok, not trying to rain on Patty the bombers parade, but can I assume correctly between the high temps and roll out everyone was hitting it a bit longer. 

According to the LPGA.com in the 4th round Charley Hull was averaging 332, Brooke 317, Nanna Madsen 319,Anna Norquist 281 who usually knocks it 255

Came here just for this. I didn’t watch the tourney but heard on golf central she averaged 323 off the tee. Needless to say I was impressed. What is Patty’s swing Speed? I couldn’t find anything on the internet. 

1 hour ago, One Putter said:

I agree with the commentator. The way she had Lydia nipping at her heels, trying to chase her down, and to be able to fend that off, that's a special kind of mentality.

Zero bogies. Think about that.

She said in the press conference that she refused to look at leaderboards ... her caddy Ryan did, but he never told her anything (didn't need to).   She said if she had known how close Lydia was, she probably would have chunked her chip at 17!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

According to the LPGA.com in the 4th round Charley Hull was averaging 332, Brooke 317, Nanna Madsen 319,Anna Norquist 281 who usually knocks it 255.

Yes.  It was like prime season conditions out there today.  Little humidity, good roll, dry with hot (thin air), so yeah.  But nonetheless, Patty was outdriving everybody this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iutodd said:

Patty was unflappable. Unbelievable performance today. Also Lydia Ko is back!  

Lydia's comment in the press conference today was that she hoped people would not say that "Lydia's back!" ... she said it was much better to understand that this is the best she could be today and she is not the same person she was then ... older, more mature, leaner, stronger, etc.  with more life experience.   

Not that she won't keep working at it, but her goal is  to be the best player she can be today.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Whitetail said:

Came here just for this. I didn’t watch the tourney but heard on golf central she averaged 323 off the tee. Needless to say I was impressed. What is Patty’s swing Speed? I couldn’t find anything on the internet. 

On Saturday they showed her driver ball speed at 158 mph which is about 105 mph driver CHS.

Which seems to be at least 5 mph lower van Dam, Fassi, and Bianca.

6 minutes ago, mudge said:

On Saturday they showed her driver ball speed at 158 mph which is about 105 mph driver CHS.

I know the conditions are favorable, but she somehow averaged 326 yards or something with those numbers

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

21 minutes ago, mudge said:

Yes ... but interestingly, Patty's ball speed is better than all of them.   So, she is making consistently better contact (i.e.: smash factor)

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes ... but interestingly, Patty's ball speed is better than all of them.  

I like that she loses some flex in her right knee on the backswing. I know that they’re generally more flexible but I’ve always thought that the ladies leave something on the table by keeping the flex in their right knee on the backswing,

2 minutes ago, mudge said:

Different discussion altogether.

Is it though? Controlled Speed and distance vs raw distance......Finau gears back to exude control.....Patty swings within herself while still getting it out there accurately....... I don't have stats in front of me but I did watch her play.....pretty impressive overall.......van dam has that colsaerts length.......Fassi is violent...... but I believe the proof is in the pudding.....quality length is far more important 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes.  It was like prime season conditions out there today.  Little humidity, good roll, dry with hot (thin air), so yeah.  But nonetheless, Patty was outdriving everybody this week.

Patty was easily 50 yards past Shanshan yesterday. Sure, Shanshan is one of the shorter hitters (averged 268 for the week), but that's still impressive.

What's more remarkable is that she had only 4 bogies this week while missing 19 fairways. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes ... but interestingly, Patty's ball speed is better than all of them.   So, she is making consistently better contact (i.e.: smash factor)

She produces what we used to refer to back in the day as "a late heavy hit".  It gives the impression that the ball is coming off faster than what the club-head speed looks like to the naked eye.

Also, if the monitor was saying that her club-head speed was at about 105, I would question the accuracy of the reading.  My guess is more like 110+

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Is it though? Controlled Speed and distance vs raw distance......Finau gears back to exude control.....Patty swings within herself while still getting it out there accurately....... I don't have stats in front of me but I did watch her play.....pretty impressive overall.......van dam has that colsaerts length.......Fassi is violent...... but I believe the proof is in the pudding.....quality length is far more important 

Not disagreeing but my comment was not intended to address some subjective evaluation of length vs accuracy just hard data.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

She produces what we used to refer to back in the day as "a late heavy hit".  It gives the impression that the ball is coming off faster than what the club-head speed looks like to the naked eye.

Also, if the monitor was saying that her club-head speed was at about 105, I would question the accuracy of the reading.  My guess is more like 110+

Your guess is just pulling numbers out of thin air then.

If she actually had a driver CHS of 110 mph with 158 mph BS, that would give her a poor ( by pro standards) smash factor of 1.44, when the LPGA average is 1.48.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mudge said:

Not disagreeing but my comment was not intended to address some subjective evaluation of length vs accuracy just hard data.

And what hard data would you like ? Under pressure tournament driving numbers , majors , 3 day events ......lpga doesn't have a great archive of data..... 

I think Lydia became aware that she was on the brink of sporting immortality, and backed off slightly. But what a round! And congrats to Patty for thrilling us with her free powerful swing yesterday, and her tough tournament play today. As many others have observed, the lip-in to avoid a 3-putt was the defining moment of this epic battle.

Do we believe that Patty wasn't aware of Lydia's surge? I am sure she was at some point, and it would have affected how she played the 18th.

I think the technical discussions about swings speeds are for another forum, and it is inappropriate to be bringing up Van Dam, Fassi etc. at this moment. I am not knocking those two, but they are unproven at the highest level to this time, and we have just witnessed a duel for the ages. And golf is technical, but it's also not. I am more interested in the qualitative aspects of tournament play, even though I am a physicist/engineer. Driving may be club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, air temperature. humidity, etc. but it is also picking a line to match the distance, trajectory, wind, tactical and having the mental strength to play with conviction, not just commitment (thanks for that Lydia), not to mention the tactical aspect in tournament play!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

I think Lydia became aware that she was on the brink of sporting immortality, and backed off slightly. But what a round! And congrats to Patty for thrilling us with her free powerful swing yesterday, and her tough tournament play today. As many others have observed, the lip-in to avoid a 3-putt was the defining moment of this epic battle.

Do we believe that Patty wasn't aware of Lydia's surge? I am sure she was at some point, and it would have affected how she played the 18th.

I think the technical discussions about swings speeds are for another forum, and it is inappropriate to be bringing up Van Dam, Fassi etc. at this moment. I am not knocking those two, but they are unproven at the highest level to this time, and we have just witnessed a duel for the ages. And golf is technical, but it's also not. I am more interested in the qualitative aspects of tournament play, even though I am a physicist/engineer. Driving may be club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, air temperature. humidity, etc. but it is also picking a line to match the distance, trajectory, wind, tactical and having the mental strength to play with conviction, not just commitment (thanks for that Lydia), not to mention the tactical aspect in tournament play!

I was answering a question someone asked about Patty’s swing speed. Mentioning them is completely relevant seeing that they are two of the longest/fastest on the LPGA Tour, any opinions about their golfing ability or similar notwithstanding.