2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kirkland Signature Wedges

ltom

3 hours ago, MattC555 said:

I'd try them out if the logo wasn't the same as whats used on baby wipes and gasoline.  Just doesn't sit right.  Hahaha

This is my biggest hang-up with the Costco golf gear.

Their logo is a bit garish and synonymous with mundane everyday products. I don't want the giant "Kirkland signature" written across my golf glove, my wedges or my putter. I hate being a billboard for a company, and the Kirkland branding is a bit "loud". 

I think Costco would do much better with people like ourselves if they created an offshoot brand that's under the Costco umbrella - they can call it "Costco Golf", and just have a simple and clean CG logo on the equipment for example. That would be much more palatable to me.

I don't mind the logo on the balls (I don't play them), and the wedges are passable, but the "Kirkland signature" is just too loud on their golf gloves and putter. To me, that branding cheapens the product. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ASN21 said:

So the Kirkland wedges spun more in the 52 & 56 and pretty much the same in the 60 when compared to the "best wedges on the market" the Vokeys. Fascinating review. Some people were laughing when this product came out and said Costco has no business making these and that they will be crap. Wonder where those folks are now. 

I highly, highly doubt Costco is making these wedges.

I would bet that these are coming from a factory that produces well established golf equipment. Cleveland, Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, etc. Hell, maybe it's Hogan golf. I'm not sure who is making these wedges for Costco, but I have to imagine that these wedges are being made by a company that knows what they are doing in this arena. 

10 minutes ago, kthomas said:

I would bet that these are coming from a factory that produces well established golf equipment. Cleveland, Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, etc. Hell, maybe it's Hogan golf. I'm not sure who is making these wedges for Costco, but I have to imagine that these wedges are being made by a company that knows what they are doing in this arena. 

Sure I will give you that, but they are definitely picking and choosing who they want to work with very well. Their golf balls, gloves, putter and wedges have all been universally received well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kthomas said:

This is my biggest hang-up with the Costco golf gear.

Their logo is a bit garish and synonymous with mundane everyday products. I don't want the giant "Kirkland signature" written across my golf glove, my wedges or my putter. I hate being a billboard for a company, and the Kirkland branding is a bit "loud". 

I think Costco would do much better with people like ourselves if they created an offshoot brand that's under the Costco umbrella - they can call it "Costco Golf", and just have a simple and clean CG logo on the equipment for example. That would be much more palatable to me.

I don't mind the logo on the balls (I don't play them), and the wedges are passable, but the "Kirkland signature" is just too loud on their golf gloves and putter. To me, that branding cheapens the product. 

Costco Golf with a "CG" logo is brilliant.  I've found and hit around a few Kirkland Signature + balls.  They work well.  If they had a slick logo, and still cost a buck a ball, I'd consider gaming them.  But I just can't get beyond the name and logo.  Especially on a glove.  🤮 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

43 minutes ago, kthomas said:

Pretty sure he's not saying that Costco is making them and I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread(pro or con) knows that.

What clubs are you playing that don't have fairly significant branding on them?

Edited by Bad9

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Pretty sure he's not saying that Costco is making them and I'm pretty sure everyone posting in this thread(pro or con) knows that.

What clubs are you playing that don't have fairly significant branding on them?

My interpretation was very literal. I'm sure that poster didn't mean for it to be that literal. 

My wedges are Ping Glide 2.0 stealths, the branding is pretty subdued, and I love that. Black on black. 

Right, wrong or indifferent, I don't like the Kirkland branding and I think it cheapens the product. That's merely my perspective and opinion. 

I think as far as golf balls go the current KIRKLAND Performance Plus isn't terribly garish. Or maybe I've just gotten used to it since so many guys I play with use them nowadays. 

For the wedges, the branding is a bit much but it's not bad compared to a Callaway MD-whatever with the green jewel things. Or Cameron putters. And don't get me started on some of the high-$$$ Bettinardi putters that look like NASCAR cars. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I'm sure the target market for these wedges isn't the guys buying new stuff, but rather the ones with R7's still in the bag and will live and die by the 52/56/60 lofts that they've grown up with.

I basically live in clothes I've bought at Costco.  Often every day the only thing that isn't from there is the flipflops on my feet.  I'm an informed consumer who has WAY too much gear, and would still get this set if it was my preferred lofts to try out.  I already use their ball for Spring/Fall golf.

I don't believe the biggest drawback is the lack of customization, they are entry level clubs from a big box retailer that perform as good or better than the big boys but at a fraction of the price.  Generations of golfers learned and played on wedges like these, and survived.  The biggest drawback is you have to have a membership rather than find these at the local golf store (tho it saves me way more money just from gas purchases alone that it isn't a drawback).

It is for me. I wear the Kirkland glove and play the Kirkland 3pc ball. I'm trying to figure out whether the Kirkland putter will help me any more than my Odyssey White Hot XG #1, but I'm not sure given that it looks darn near the same.

But the wedges aren't right. The length isn't right for me (I'm 6'5"), the shaft isn't right for me, and the bounce is too much for some of the tight lies you find on SoCal muni courses. It's typically hardpan with scrub grass around (not under) the ball... I currently use standard grips but feel like midsize is probably more suitable for my large hands.

So at this price point, I'd GLADLY play Kirkland wedges if I could customize a little. Of course, if they offered customization they couldn't sell them at this price point. So there's that.

But I am not buying this set of wedges because I don't think the specs make any sense for either my size or the typical shots I'm trying to hit on the lies I deal with normally. If they offered customization, I'd buy them in a second.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

23 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

It is for me. I wear the Kirkland glove and play the Kirkland 3pc ball. I'm trying to figure out whether the Kirkland putter will help me any more than my Odyssey White Hot XG #1, but I'm not sure given that it looks darn near the same.

But the wedges aren't right. The length isn't right for me (I'm 6'5"), the shaft isn't right for me, and the bounce is too much for some of the tight lies you find on SoCal muni courses. It's typically hardpan with scrub grass around (not under) the ball... I currently use standard grips but feel like midsize is probably more suitable for my large hands.

So at this price point, I'd GLADLY play Kirkland wedges if I could customize a little. Of course, if they offered customization they couldn't sell them at this price point. So there's that.

But I am not buying this set of wedges because I don't think the specs make any sense for either my size or the typical shots I'm trying to hit on the lies I deal with normally. If they offered customization, I'd buy them in a second.

Grips I don't consider an issue as that is about the easiest change that can be made.  For you, length will for sure be an issue, along with flex and sw.  For me, at 5'8" and build my own clubs, I would just re-shaft to what I like and go from there.  I have 2 sets of TI S400s and X100s that I will change with the irons I play, so looking at it from a cost per head perspective and that I could sell the shafts for something.  

I haven't looked into Maltby wedges and likely should.  But I also have 5 wedge sets...  I also said I wouldn't buy another set of irons after getting back down to 7 sets and yet picked up a set of 690.MB's the other day, so...

A Revolving Door

Really impressive to see their performance in the TXG video. KS wedges seem to certainly be worth a look for someone who is in the bell curve for fitting. 

Costco sells products in a lot of retail/food categories under it's Kirkland Signature brand and it is their only product brand. The entire brand value of Kirkland Signature is about "quality" and "value" (meaning cheap). I think they nailed that and stayed consistent with the brand. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, dpark said:

Here is a nice review on YT:

I bought the Kirkland wedges a couple of weeks ago based on this review (thanks for posting) and have played four rounds with them so far. Before these played a Maltby 52* and MD4 56* and 60*. Most of the time have played 56/60 as opposed to 54/58. Like many here have bought, sold and traded my share of clubs over the years, usually used however tended to buy wedges new or at least excellent condition from CPO.

The Kirkland wedges have performed great for me surprisingly even off our tight fairways prevalent this time of year in NC. Have been able to open them up and close them down as necessary, hit partial pitches and full out approach shots. My sand game is not good for my handicap (11) but have hit some real nice ones out of the bunker as well as some not nice ones.

I’m average height, 5’11” so no shaft length issues. Currently carrying a 50* gap wedge so the 52* Kirkland gap is awkward but no decision on that one yet. I’m glad I bought them and would recommend them to you.

The Kirkland labeling on the wedges is no big deal for me but I also wear Kirkland gloves so....

• Like 1

The comments I’ve read regarding their branding is spot on!  I said earlier, I use the ball, glove and the 56 and 60.  I would enjoy using them soooo much more if the branding was more conservative.  As it is, I use them but feel the need to laugh it off.  It’d be nice not to have to do that which would be possible if the branding was more tastefully done.

14 hours ago, Wisconsin Terrapin said:

Even LH Vokey offers more lofts and grinds, and customization than most so they make not offer the same value as Kirkland but provide options that are important to a segment of the sports. It is important to me to have different grinds and bounce on my 54 and 58 wedges. The bunkers I face will vary from soft sand to heavy sand/almost mud, and play very differently. Comparisons on mats doesn’t prove much to say Kirkland and Vokey are the same except price. Not saying that forged or high toe wedges are better or not than cast Vokey wedges, but limited options for the Kirkland set misses a large segment of the market. 

I get it but lets be real a wedge should not cost $180 - $200 per wedge.  Vokey's aren't reinventing the wheel yet their prices suggest that they are.  Maybe when they first came out they were ground breaking but now they are not and the price of the wedges should be cheaper.  Microwaves were $7000 initially until the tech became common and now a microwave is $70 dollars.  The fact that Kirkland can even sell their wedges for the price that they do and still make a profit proves that wedges don't cost that much to make.  Different grinds and bounces are great but it still shouldn't cost $200 ish dollars for a custom wedge nowadays.  

• Like 2

I have used my Signature wedges since the season started this year.  Not one single person that I have played with has commented on the clubs.  No one has even noticed the branding.  As for myself, I did change the shafts as I found the original a bit too weak for my liking.  I take a lot of full shots with my wedges.

• Like 1

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

On 4/16/2021 at 2:03 AM, jgonz69 said:

Lol, I can attack Kirkland wedges and spew some bs about how supposedly Kirkland is stealing somebody else's design...but how dare you attack me. 😆😆😆😆😆

cant wait to hear this guy’s take on the Scotty Cameron putters.

I don’t like the putter either. My point is about design theft. Anyone who has had design or intellectual property stolen understands what I am talking about. 

5 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I get it but lets be real a wedge should not cost $180 - $200 per wedge.  Vokey's aren't reinventing the wheel yet their prices suggest that they are.  Maybe when they first came out they were ground breaking but now they are not and the price of the wedges should be cheaper.  Microwaves were $7000 initially until the tech became common and now a microwave is $70 dollars.  The fact that Kirkland can even sell their wedges for the price that they do and still make a profit proves that wedges don't cost that much to make.  Different grinds and bounces are great but it still shouldn't cost $200 ish dollars for a custom wedge nowadays.  

100% agree.  I imagine MFG's are making money hand over fist in the wedge category.  Finally got a chance to watch the TXG video.  Was pretty funny to see how gobsmacked they were. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

22 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

100% agree.  I imagine MFG's are making money hand over fist in the wedge category.  Finally got a chance to watch the TXG video.  Was pretty funny to see how gobsmacked they were. 

Oh don't imagine they are...know they are making a killing.  With all the club snobbery that typically exists in a golf forum I can't believe that Vokeys are still surviving being that they are cast when there are so many other forged wedges out there. No one ever talks about how "clicky" a Vokey is but a cast iron almost always draws this distinction.  They are also making minor adjustments to weighting and such and then acting like it is groundbreaking tech and every year we the consumer falls for it. That being said they do it because they can get away with it.  Just like the Pro V isn't anything ground breaking anymore people still continue to shell out $47 bucks a dozen for something that is basically old tech now and should cost $25 to 30 bucks a dozen because it doesn't cost millions in R&D for the Pro V anymore and the brand is established now and they don't even have to pay  pros to play them anymore.  It is what it is though and year in and year out we the consumer fall for the marketing hype because we want to believe that newer is better. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:29 AM, Northandleft said:

Costco wedges. 
They take the hard work that real golf companies do in research and development to China and say make it as cheaply as you can. They stick the Kirkland name on it (as well as toilet paper, steak spice and multi vitamins) and wait for bored sheep to shove them in the cart full of crap. 
I would be embarrassed to put them in my bag. Have some respect for what Vokey and Cleveland (real people) and many others do for a living. Buy real clubs. 

What design has Costco stolen? A blade style wedge? That is the most ubiquitous design in the world of golf and has been for a century. There appears to be no copyright infringement with their branding  so no theft there. They didn't actually produce the clubs or make the shafts or grips in their own factory. No other club company does either, just like Costco so no theft there. Vokey and Cleveland also take their designs to China to make it as cheaply as possible, its not like they have US factories anyway and haven't for going on 20yrs or more. Did they actually design the wedge, probably not but they undoubtedly paid a club someone (probably a real golf company) to do it so they didn't seal anything there. So again what has Costco stolen from anyone. 

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

From what I've heard they feel harder and provide less feedback than a Vokey however, if you get three wedges for the price of one Vokey and the performance is decent, there is a large group of golfers who would prefer to buy the Kirklands over Vokey or another major OEM. 

Here on WRX we definitely care about bounce and grind options but the majority of golfers have no idea what what those two things mean and what advantages they may provide. They just want a quality product at a good price.

• Like 1

they are very nice.   I tried them for about a week  very good feel to them and I liked the bounce. I did not like the shine, caught a bit of glare here and there.  I also didn't like the leading edge, pretty sharp,I thought it good in sand as it cut through nicely but I didn't like it in turf after I buried that leading edge a couple of times.  I didn't like the toe shape either.  

Play wise they were very nice and they did as asked more often than the wedge I was replacing (ping glide 2 60º) that was and still is pretty worn.

I returned them because of the style stuff I didn't like and because the 56º ferrule separated from the hosel.  That has happened to me more than once.  Last time was with a ping G20 (and your right, no ferrule) but the head came off the nine iron, I repaired that time as they were literally a few weeks old and I was in myrtle beach for a week.  PGA supper store repaired it for me after a brief argument about voiding my warranty.  I was like seriously? Im here for a week and will want that club now not in a few weeks.   

ps, recently replaced the glide 60°, got a Cleveland RTX Zipcore raw and am loving it.  

Edited by 2Down

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

18 minutes ago, Kruegs_4 said:

Would be sweet if they’re actually decent like their ball

Given the reviews and comments from those who have actually played them there is no reason to think they are more than decent. The most vocal critics(at least in this thread) appear to have never seen one in the flesh, much less played one.

I have had mine since the start of the season, so 4 weeks or so. My wife didn't know I had them and just returned from the local Costco with a new set for me.  They are $175 Cdn in store here in Dartmouth.

• Like 1

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

I have my set wedges, Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal, in 50, 55 & 60 deg. , stock Project X LZ 4.5 graphite shafts.

A couple questions- 

Would you think there would be an improvement in performance, spin, etc., with the Kirkland set over these?

Anybody know the shaft weight? Would there be so much difference in the steel shafted Kirkland wedges & my graphite shafted Mizuno irons that there would be a big disconnect in feel?

I like Costco stuff, shop there for a lot of stuff & find the Kirkland brand to be pretty universally excellent. (Kirkland 22 yr old Speyside single malt is really good & comparatively, wayyy cheap)

I’ve seen these many times in my local store but have not taken them out & hit. I suppose I could put my Mizuno wedge shafts in them, would have to regrip them anyway ‘cause I use Jumbomax grips (XS), so regular grips now feel like pencils 😆

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

4 hours ago, denismcg said:

I have had mine since the start of the season, so 4 weeks or so. My wife didn't know I had them and just returned from the local Costco with a new set for me.  They are $175 Cdn in store here in Dartmouth.

This is huge. Fresh wedges mid way through the season for the cost of a single Vokey. People can hate all they want but if they work then you can't argue against the value they bring.

• Like 2