The Champions Tour seems like it's going to be really fun for the next decade

King_Slender

On 5/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, getitdaily said:

The problem with the senior tour, going forward, is that big name players make so much money before 50 that a lot of them won't want to travel and play and keep up their games. 

You'd think a guy like dimarco would have gotten more serious about the senior tour. He basically had like 10 good years on tour and then retired.

Your first paragraph answers  your second.

Chris DiMarco career earnings: $22,656,443

16 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Your first paragraph answers  your second.

Chris DiMarco career earnings: $22,656,443

DiMarco seems to get mentioned a lot here at WRX. 

Here is a sampling from past thread topics.

"Anyone do mountain climbing for golf fitness?" 

image.png.c266638251056c53b0ca8b5dbcdab0a1.png

"Do tour players drink more wine?" 

image.png.47257dbaba8358068ab736535754592e.png

"Sunglasses and golf."

image.png.deefd10ab420d7561b42c01465976abb.png

"Crazy hats, cars and bars." 

image.png.0eb04714acfcd902277fc2050b6cbe2e.png

"Semi-formal pics under crooked lamps" 

image.png.5ba2b85441d7859373c0848d5eb1d51c.png

"Favorite tour pics with Robert Loggia" 

image.png.c098160c8f86fb3bd4e17314c206a756.png

"What up with DiMarco? "

image.png.ea81725724991d9b1dbbebb23c801192.png

On 5/16/2021 at 3:32 AM, TiScape said:

When I made my post I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say one or all of the following.

1) Yeah, but he’d still destroy you on the course.

2) Yeah, but he’s made (insert net worth acquired via Google search) 

3) Yeah, but his wife/GF is smoking hot. 
😂 

Would clearly struggle to beat a veteran golfwrx 4 cap in that shape.

The problem with the Senior Tour is that there is always going to be the PGA Tour. Young guys doing it better on more difficult golf courses. Sure if Tiger played, if Phil played there will be people that watch but if the option is watching Ernie yip another 3 footer or DJ pummelling a course into submission, I know what I would rather watch.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'm already a bigger fan of the Champions Tour over the PGA Tour when it comes to attending a live event. Fewer fans overall, fewer "in the hole clowns" and the people that attend tend to be real golf fans not celebrity watchers. Overall a much more pleasant experience. 

I'm with you, BDP5.   2017 PGA at Quail Hollow was my last. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'm already a bigger fan of the Champions Tour over the PGA Tour when it comes to attending a live event. Fewer fans overall, fewer "in the hole clowns" and the people that attend tend to be real golf fans not celebrity watchers. Overall a much more pleasant experience. 

I also enjoy LPGA events for the same reasons.  Where I live they use to host an LPGA event. Longs Drugs and then the CVS Pharmacy LPGA Challenge. I attended several years and it was just like how you explained the Champions events. Fewer fans and just less of a circus overall. I miss it. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, cgasucks said:

I started golf in 2000 and pretty much most of the guys that were competitive in that decade are now in the Champions tour.  Watching my boy Mike Weir compete and win in a long time made me feel I was in my 30s again.

Things will get really interesting when Tiger will be eligible down the road...

There is almost zero chance Tiger will play on the Champions tour.

• Like 1

I've tried to watch them, but just don't much care about golfers just slightly younger than me (and some a tad older) playing for what primarily seems like fun.  Couldn't care less how many "majors" are won by the old fellas.  I do like to take a look at their swings from time-to-time given I'm in the age bracket at 60, but mostly I like to use them to point out to my 'certified' fitness trainer sons that I'm not in such bad shape after all for my age.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, TiScape said:

Since someone mentioned the Champions Tour I’ll take this opportunity to do some fat shaming. (I don’t feel great about it but I’m feeling a little insecure at the moment) I caught a little bit recently and was shocked when they showed Darren Clarke. I hadn’t seen him since his PGA tour days. Whoa, he looks like he ate his caddy! Was also as surprised when I Googled him and saw that he’s only 52. Looking at him I would have guessed 60. But God bless him for fully embracing and enjoying the good life! 

*Feel free to flame me for my shallow take. I know I’m being petty. Haha

Edited by Lagavulin62
Trying to add a coment.

Tiscape,

This board changes everytime I come back. I can't even add a comment to above so doing it here. 

Anyway never apologize for flaming a tour made up of has beens. It's all about the money so I understand why it's in existance. But as a sporting competition I have never been shy about expressing my plans to od on heroin before I would ever subject myself to watching these old men play in person. Yeah they had a great career, meeting them at a charitable function or at the supermarket would be interesting but I have no desire ever to watch them play golf again. Just not my thing. On the other hand I love these young guys on the regular tour. Thats where its always at. So I see the Champions tour on tv and I can't turn the channel fast enough. To me it's as ridiculous as watching a has been boxer in an exhibition matchup. Just pathetic. 

• Sad 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, TiScape said:

Since someone mentioned the Champions Tour I’ll take this opportunity to do some fat shaming. (I don’t feel great about it but I’m feeling a little insecure at the moment) I caught a little bit recently and was shocked when they showed Darren Clarke. I hadn’t seen him since his PGA tour days. Whoa, he looks like he ate his caddy! Was also as surprised when I Googled him and saw that he’s only 52. Looking at him I would have guessed 60. But God bless him for fully embracing and enjoying the good life! 

Toxic combo when you throw in the chain smoking

5 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Tiscape,

This board changes everytime I come back. I can't even add a comment to above so doing it here. 

Anyway never apologize for flaming a tour made up of has beens. It's all about the money so I understand why it's in existance. But as a sporting competition I have never been shy about expressing my plans to od on heroin before I would ever subject myself to watching these old men play in person. Yeah they had a great career, meeting them at a charitable function or at the supermarket would be interesting but I have no desire ever to watch them play golf again. Just not my thing. On the other hand I love these young guys on the regular tour. Thats where its always at. So I see the Champions tour on tv and I can't turn the channel fast enough. To me it's as ridiculous as watching a has been boxer in an exhibition matchup. Just pathetic. 

How can someone who likes such a solid scotch have so little class.  Head scratcher. 

Someone takes the time to make a nice thread for those of us who enjoy the Champions Tour and you come in and drop a huge pile.  How about next time you just move on to the next thread where you might have something worthwhile to contribute.

The Senior and now Champions tour has a fine lineage of bringing us bonus golf from some of the games most legendary players. From Arnie, through Irwin, to Langer, and now Daly and Ernie. To have them around, active, and playing golf is a treasure for those of us who really love and respect this game. Obviously you aren't one of those people. So, let me try putting this in terms you might better understand. On TV there is a collection of guys over 50 who will be able to knock your d*ck in the dirt on a golf course for as long as they are upright - so show them some respect. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

How can someone who likes such a solid scotch have so little class.  Head scratcher. 

Someone takes the time to make a nice thread for those of us who enjoy the Champions Tour and you come in and drop a huge pile.  How about next time you just move on to the next thread where you might have something worthwhile to contribute.

The Senior and now Champions tour has a fine lineage of bringing us bonus golf from some of the games most legendary players. From Arnie, through Irwin, to Langer, and now Daly and Ernie. To have them around, active, and playing golf is a treasure for those of us who really love and respect this game. Obviously you aren't one of those people. So, let me try putting this in terms you might better understand. On TV there is a collection of guys over 50 who will be able to knock your d*ck in the dirt on a golf course for as long as they are upright - so show them some respect. 

It is all a matter of perspective. To me the PGA Tour, or LPGA if you like the women’s game, is where the game is measured. As a sports fan I want to watch the best in the world compete. When they get to the point they can no longer compete then they retire. I am not into watching retirees play any sport, no matter how good they were in their prime. Do you want to watch larry bird play basketball, wayne gretsky in a senior hockey league? John McEnroe huff and puff on the courts? Golf is the only game that tortures us with a geriatric league and it’s just not my thang. That said I do realize they are making money so good for you if that sort of thing does it for you. No offense intended. I am pretty sure the old guys and their tour don’t care about my opinion. But I have one nonetheless and I love sharing. : ) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

It is all a matter of perspective. To me the PGA Tour, or LPGA if you like the women’s game, is where the game is measured. As a sports fan I want to watch the best in the world compete. When they get to the point they can no longer compete then they retire. I am not into watching retirees play any sport, no matter how good they were in their prime. Do you want to watch larry bird play basketball, wayne gretsky in a senior hockey league? John McEnroe huff and puff on the courts? Golf is the only game that tortures us with a geriatric league and it’s just not my thang. That said I do realize they are making money so good for you if that sort of thing does it for you. No offense intended. I am pretty sure the old guys and their tour don’t care about my opinion. But I have one nonetheless and I love sharing. : ) 

As the a Beatles once sang “you’ll be older soon” Father Time is karma...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Well most of those old guys are still amongst the best golfers in the world, most just not pga tour elite level. Heck most college football is a joke compared to the skills of the NFL guys and yet highly popular. 

Nothing better than going to a Champions Tour event to watch golf without the idiots that infest pga tour events. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

I wonder how much longer the Champions Tour remains in existence?  The way these guys train their careers will be much shorter.  Will DJ, Koepka, and Brysons' bodies last past 50?

I can see DJ and Koepka on the Champions Tour but I can't see an old Bryson doing those moves at 55. He may prove us wrong but what he does sure looks painful. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

I wonder how much longer the Champions Tour remains in existence?  The way these guys train their careers will be much shorter.  Will DJ, Koepka, and Brysons' bodies last past 50?

It will always be a good avenue for average tour players to extend their careers and it's an acceptable thought the top stars of the game won't be playing on that tour once they reach 50 but I think as long as one top player takes up membership every year it will continue to be decent draw for fans to tune into.

Titleist TSR2 9* (turned down to 8.25*) Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

On 5/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, King_Slender said:

Probably just the fact that the guys filling out fields are guys I grew up watching, but it's getting really fun with guys like Furyk, Phil, Stricker, Jimenez, Couples, Vijay etc. being out there and good players aging pretty regularly.  

The early days of the Champions/Senior Tour were great with Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer, Trevino, Floyd, Irwin - very competitive and a lot of fan interest.  We then went through what I'd consider kind of a down decade where there was very little star power - there was Langer basically winning everything, McCarron recently, and mostly a lot of guys who didn't do much on the PGA Tour.  

Case in point - I have way more interest in watching the Mitsubishi Classic this weekend than the Byron Nelson.  

Dont see Phil being out there much same with TW.

I've always been a Senior Tour and LPGA fan and I agree with several posts about the fact there seems to be less drunk fans there than on the PGA Tour (I was going to say, XXXhats, but I think I would draw a suspension for that).

I agree that the future of this tour is solid, but it is hard to beat the names who competed in the 90s. I remember being at a Senior tournament at Rancho Park here in LA back around 1992 or so and it drew Arnie, Trevino, Player, Rodriguez, Stockton, Beard, Barber, Floyd, Colbert, etc, etc. Jack even played on tour regularly. The current "Round Belly Tour" (Trevino's description 🙂 ) lineups are good, but not like that. 

Edited by J-Blade
  • Like 3

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

On 5/16/2021 at 12:45 AM, TiScape said:

I was watching European Tour this week and saw Thomas Bjorn first time in long time and boy has he gained a few kilos.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:01 PM, m d g said:

I'm not sure how many of today's 'name' players will bother playing. Most have more money than god.

The only ones that will be out there are those who still need the money, and the guys wanting to get away from their wives : )

Vijay must be in the 2nd category, because it's definitely not a money issue for him. 

• Like 1