Could a 4 Handicap beat Bryson on the back 9 at Torrey?

caniac6

4 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

A 4-cap couldn't beat any pro for 9 holes anywhere. These type of post (and we see them all the time) are really ridiculous. The Golf Pro is so much better at the game than an average low capper it's crazy.

Sorry a solid 4 capper could beat a pro for 9 holes if the pro had his game go sideways like Bryson did, that is what the post is about

THIS SITE HAS A LONG HISTORY OF 4 CAP THREADS FWIW . .I've started a few of them in jest myself

However I'm in Obee's line of thinking.  A proper 4 (per Richard) with tourney experience and a better game historically who is used to pressure could do it, we are talking 43 FFS.  I know I personally could do it, not sure what percentage of the time to be honest

If Timberlake can go around BPB in 88, I know I can do that.  I have gone around tour tracks from the tippy tips right after the event, Muirfield Village and The Canadian Open, and broken 80 both times

Anyways, fun debates.  All 4's are not the same as I am sure most golf junkies are aware.  Same with all cap levels.  There are scratches and there are travelling tourney scratches

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

5 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

A 4-cap couldn't beat any pro for 9 holes anywhere. These type of post (and we see them all the time) are really ridiculous. The Golf Pro is so much better at the game than an average low capper it's crazy.

Relax, guys! I used the 4 handicapper line as a joke. What I was trying to point out was the fact that the defending champion had the lead on the back 9 of the final round of the US Open, and went 8 over on the back. I don't know if that is the worst final 9 by a leader, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, I seriously doubt many 4s would beat that score from the Open tees, It wouldn't surprise me to see a 4 score better from a yardage they are used to playing. 

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, TiScape said:

No mere mortal can be compared with the original JT in anything! 

02C6D052-353D-4E97-859E-DFE4A86D0A2D.jpeg

Not to sidetrack another glorious wrx  “what could a 4 capper do”  thread….and I know JT is not really country….but seeing this made me think of my favorite Bob Newhart quote….

93AB0D9C-0C37-4D57-89B5-B1934DDFE10B.jpeg

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

22 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Not to sidetrack another glorious wrx  “what could a 4 capper do”  thread….and I know JT is not really country….but seeing this made me think of my favorite Bob Newhart quote….

93AB0D9C-0C37-4D57-89B5-B1934DDFE10B.jpeg

No worries. You’re hardly in his “demo”. 😂  
And yeah, God forbid we detract from another ‘4 cap’ thread. 🙄 And for you country music fans, ‘detract’ means to to distract or divert from 😉

Edited by TiScape
  • Haha 1

Regardless of the 4 cap, I know if I ever get the chance to play Torrey Pines as a 7-8 cap from the whites or perhaps blues in its peak muni condition as far from tourney time as possible, I will try incredibly hard to break 44 on the back. 

It won't mean anything, but it's part of the fun of getting to play the "same" course as the pros in some sense.

When I played Royal St. George's two years ago, I remember going to the back box on 14 and thinking "If I don't make double, I did better than Dustin Johnson can say." Does that really mean anything? No. But if it improved my experience playing a hole of golf, is that so bad?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

I thought Lurch was a low single figure handicapper.

I doubt it. He hits it far, but is inaccurate and is a terrible putter. As much as I hate his swing, Riggs is the best golfer of the 4 followed by Lurch and Frankie. I think if Frankie slowed down his tempo and fixed his short game he would kill Riggs on the course

8 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Hey Brotha, how goes it👊

As @MtlJeff stated, most know that it can be done, and as I prefaced, while I know that it can be done, I do not believe that the "average club 4~" would get it done. I am not speaking to a sh*ts and giggles round with buds, however say, in a group with you, MtlJeff and @isaacbm, the day/Monday after the tourney concluded, with some money on the table. 

I actually would put $1000 down that the average club 4~ wouldn't break 💯 in that scenario with that group. The only reason that I'm so steadfast in my opinion is that I've Played a couple Mondays/days after at Oakmont in private member sponsored events and not only did legit 4~'s not break 💯, 6-8 legit scratch/2~'S didn't break the magic century mark. Now you could say that a 2~ that couldn't break 💯 on Oakmont from the greens(US Open tees) was not legit, and trust me, no one is harder on what constitutes "legit" than myself, however the two guys that I'm thinkin of have Played in USGA events, broken par in USGA events and also executed shots and putts with $1000+ on the line, so they were legit. 

Madison just texted me and I had forgotten about a guy that Played with us in a charity even the Monday morning after Angel Cabrera(285, +5) had won at Oakmont in 2007, he was a 4+ and he had an 88. I do remember that he kept the ball in the fairway, the driver in the bag, and basically played for bogies, which he practically played to. I'd say there are more than 1 out of 100, more like 10-15, and I'd bet that the majority of those travelled north to a 4~, being former Competitive Am Pluses and Pros, who are capable of turning back the clock in any given round, versus those who have travelled south and 4~ is the lowest that they have ever been.

But just some 4~ from the public links league or a ~4 from some pedestrian club/track or even the average 4~ from my place???

NoFrigginWay Brotha😜!!

I do agree with ya though that there are guys that could/would do it and I actually believe that it would be more than one and I don't even think that they'd have to "play out of their skin," only keeping the ball in the fairway and below the hole😊

Stay Well and have a great summer/season my Friend👊
RP

The other thing is putting. Going to be a lot of 3 putts and some 4 putts. Greens are murder in the open.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, orr444 said:

The other thing is putting. Going to be a lot of 3 putts and some 4 putts. Greens are murder in the open.

The greens at Torrey aren't that crazy...They aren't easy if you're in the wrong spot. But there's plenty of golf courses with wacky greens. Torrey's aren't that bad. They can make anything challenging if they are running crazy speeds, but i don't recall having too many really wacky putts there.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

36 minutes ago, orr444 said:

Yah, I can only speak for Oakmont, where they were 14-15 and that's why I stated "stay below the hole," cuz I don't care who you are, be you an Am or a Pro, it's gonna be a lonnnnnng *ss day if you're comin from above the hole🥴

Thanks for responding👊
RP

• Like 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Those of you who think it's not possible, I just wish you have played in tournaments with Timberlake (<<<<Not a humblebrag, just a full-on brag!) 🙃

My buddy and I won a tournament that he plays in at his home club, an invitational called "The Bob Hope." Hope was a member at Lakeside back in the day and they got the name back from the family and hold the tournament in his honor (see photo, below).

Well on the second day of the tourney, there's a "derby" where there's betting galore and drinks all around. On the very first hole of the derby, my partner and I make bogey and are in a "chip-off" with three or four other teams to see if we move on to the next hole. My buddy has to chip against one other guy from each of the teams in the playoff and Timberlake is one of them. Each of the players not pitching the ball has to turn his back before hitting his shot.

Well when it's Justin's turn, he's chain-smoking and looks over at everyone and nervously says, "How the phock to you guys do this?!" He then proceeds to skull a relatively simple pitch shot 20 yards over the green, and that was that. LOLZ

He's a super nice, approachable dude and a good golfer. He's been between a 3? and a 6? for years now, and trust me, he feels pressure on the golf course like everyone does who's not a pro or an elite am ... and he shot 88 at Bethpage Black from the U.S. Open tees in U.S. Open conditions. 

BobHope.jpg

• Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 hour ago, Obee said:

Those of you who think it's not possible, I just wish you have played in tournaments with Timberlake (<<<<Not a humblebrag, just a full-on brag!) 🙃

My buddy and I won a tournament that he plays in at his home club, an invitational called "The Bob Hope." Hope was a member at Lakeside back in the day and they got the name back from the family and hold the tournament in his honor (see photo, below).

Well on the second day of the tourney, there's a "derby" where there's betting galore and drinks all around. On the very first hole of the derby, my partner and I make bogey and are in a "chip-off" with three or four other teams to see if we move on to the next hole. My buddy has to chip against one other guy from each of the teams in the playoff and Timberlake is one of them. Each of the players not pitching the ball has to turn his back before hitting his shot.

Well when it's Justin's turn, he's chain-smoking and looks over at everyone and nervously says, "How the phock to you guys do this?!" He then proceeds to skull a relatively simple pitch shot 20 yards over the green, and that was that. LOLZ

He's a super nice, approachable dude and a good golfer. He's been between a 3? and a 6? for years now, and trust me, he feels pressure on the golf course like everyone does who's not a pro or an elite am ... and he shot 88 at Bethpage Black from the U.S. Open tees in U.S. Open conditions. 

BobHope.jpg

First, let me say that I'm not one of those doubting Timberlake. You tell me that he's good, that's all I gotta here🤙

Secondly, there is no such thing as a "humblebrag," however someone who's words would fall under such a category of "humblebrag" if one existed is simply a dick😉

Third, it ain't braggin if ya do it Brotha, it's merely stating fact👊

Ok, there was a fourth thing, though my memory's goin and I can't remember what it was😜🤪

With that I bid you adieu👊

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever Bro
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have no comment on what the four would shoot, I’ll just stay out of that. 

But I do have one question. Do people think the rough doesn’t get bad at your local muni?  Try a place that grows good thick bluegrass, gets rain for a few days, and is understaffed on the maintenance crew. I guarantee the rough is as bad as what they had there. I would suspect almost everyone has played out of rough just as bad as they had at Torry.  If not worse. It’s not like it’s a foreign substance people have never seen before. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Sorry a solid 4 capper could beat a pro for 9 holes if the pro had his game go sideways like Bryson did, that is what the post is about

THIS SITE HAS A LONG HISTORY OF 4 CAP THREADS FWIW . .I've started a few of them in jest myself

However I'm in Obee's line of thinking.  A proper 4 (per Richard) with tourney experience and a better game historically who is used to pressure could do it, we are talking 43 FFS.  I know I personally could do it, not sure what percentage of the time to be honest

If Timberlake can go around BPB in 88, I know I can do that.  I have gone around tour tracks from the tippy tips right after the event, Muirfield Village and The Canadian Open, and broken 80 both times

Anyways, fun debates.  All 4's are not the same as I am sure most golf junkies are aware.  Same with all cap levels.  There are scratches and there are travelling tourney scratches

Bro, you're a Player, you don't count, I don't care what your cap is presently😊

Some of the finest threads to ever grace the pages of this great community were "Can a 4~ Cap....," lol

I was gonna do a thread titled, "Can a 4~ Cap Play TE for the Stillers," and then they went out and drafted friggin Freiermuth, nippin that thread in the bud🥴

For those of you wondering WTF am I talking about regarding Cards, ya see, he Played Collegiate golf, he was a competitive Plus and regardless of what his current cap is, he's got decades of incredible shots, low rounds, victories and success "under the gun"  in his subconscious memory bank and mind's eye to call on when he steps behind his ball. THIS is what I am talking about and this is what a 4~ who has travelled "south" to that 4~ versus Cards "northern" path does not have in their subconscious mind. 

THE most critical factor in competitive golf is CONFIDENCE, a confidence borne from hitting thousands of successful shots under the gun in the past and KNOWING that your next shot will be a successful shot and Cards has decades of it where he KNOWS that he can hit that next required shot, where a southern bound 4~ HOPES that he can hit it.

You know what "hope" and "hoping" gets ya under the gun????

SLAUGHTERED😉

Oh, and 100+ on the Monday after😉

Nuff said

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

Just now, isaacbm said:

What I wanna see is some guy at my Club named Neil or Dale who is a legit 4 from 6400 but hasn’t had a posted round  outside of our club in three years.  Doesn’t own a. rangefinder because he doesn’t need one on his home course, doesn’t even bother reading Greens cause he remembers them all since he was a kid. Guy is great. But he’s a travelling 11 at best.  Now that guy can’t beat 1 hundo at  a hard course in Calgary much less Torey the final day of the U.S. Open! 

Thank You😘

You F'd up neighbor to the South😘

RP

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

But I do have one question. Do people think the rough doesn’t get bad at your local muni?  Try a place that grows good thick bluegrass, gets rain for a few days, and is understaffed on the maintenance crew. I guarantee the rough is as bad as what they had there. I would suspect almost everyone has played out of rough just as bad as they had at Torry.  If not worse. It’s not like it’s a foreign substance people have never seen before. 

Lolol, you just described Pete's goat track🐐😂😂😂

He always said that he'd put his 3-4"+ second cut up against Oakmont's or our club's and your right, by the end of the week, after a few days of steady rain, it was worse than our place and on par with Oakmont, lol. 

He used to take pride in that though all of his regulars played winter rules lift 'n clean minus the "clean" all season long😂😂😂

Ya gotta love a Publinks 4~😜🤪

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

More power to any 4 handicap that can match up. 

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

THE most critical factor in competitive golf is CONFIDENCE, a confidence borne from hitting thousands of successful shots under the gun in the past and KNOWING that your next shot will be a successful shot...

Richard's brought up the great plus α (alpha) of scoring - something rarely talked about. When faced with any shot, go back in your memory to a similar shot with a great outcome and use that image (an internal video memory) to execute it again.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I have a match against a 4 handicapper tonight…my question is could a 4 handicap beat me? That way I have been playing, absolutely!! 😂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

13 hours ago, KRAMER1997 said:

I doubt it. He hits it far, but is inaccurate and is a terrible putter. As much as I hate his swing, Riggs is the best golfer of the 4 followed by Lurch and Frankie. I think if Frankie slowed down his tempo and fixed his short game he would kill Riggs on the course

I heard Lurch mention he was a 4 handicap to maybe DJ in one of the TM videos.

I was surprised given he has a severe over the top swing.

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

I’m a 2.2 right now, likely a 1.8 after today and tomorrow’s men’s nights at both my clubs

STRIPE show right now, signing breastases on the range sort of action going on .. the knuckle fall right fade is GETTING GROOVED ,,,, anyways 

Great comment by @isaacbmon the 4 from a goaty home track 6400 yarder

I have brought many of these fellas to my primary course which is a mere 7,000 and rated 74 / 140, hazards down both sides of the fairway, and small sloped and FAST greens.  Normal score .. low 90’s

Old 53, and somehow I am in the Canadian Am later this summer,  coming in hot !!!!!

Keep getting hot!!!  Get to scratch or better and maybe we can make a thread about "Can cardoustie break (yada, yada, yada)?"  I'll be pulling for you!  👍

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

40 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Keep getting hot!!!  Get to scratch or better and maybe we can make a thread about "Can cardoustie break (yada, yada, yada)?"  I'll be pulling for you!  👍

that is the goal,  .. +0.5 actually .... was 1.9 last summer. 0.9 previous summer

Now that the Srixy's have perfect shafts for me, as does my driver, only screwing around with the shafts in the 5h and 6 DI, all is else is set and firing on 8 cylinders

Monday saw me hit 14 greens and 14 fairways in steady 40kmh winds, same GIR previous day, could've been low but my cottage course (where I am moving in 6 weeks permanently) has POA greens, PITA, still learning

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

16 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I was there and can tell you unequivocally that 99%+ of golfers have never, ever played out of rough like that. Many would be lucky to advance the ball more than 10 feet.

• Like 2