Playing partners constantly wanting yardage

Strange question, but I have a kid who plays tourney golf. He uses a rangefinder which is legal. He’s a sweet kid, barely a teen.

The issue is, as soon as everyone in the group see he has a rangefinder, they literally bug him nonstop for yardages… literally every one of their shots! He’s kind, and doesn’t want to be rude but he’s getting frustrated to the point it’s hurting his focus and concentration and feels like the groups caddy. I’ve told him, shoot all the par 3 tee boxes and tell the group but other than that, they need to get their own yardages, so you can focus on your own game. He’s actually not even using it lately in tournament because he doesn’t want to bugged every shot which is counter productive in my opinion. Any advice to give the kid without being rude to his partners on tournament days? Thanks 

• Like 2

Isn't it against the rules to ask other players for yardages? Or do I have that wrong?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

That problem is NOT limited to youth.  I have a fenix 5x GPS watch and Garmin Approach Z82 Laser/GPS unit.  It annoys me when someone blatantly asks me for yardage cause he saw I had a Laser.  Being a nice guy has limits, and my stuff is NOT up for the asking.  If I volunteer yardage or…, that's my choice, but it ends there. 

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

23 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Isn't it against the rules to ask other players for yardages? Or do I have that wrong?

I think, and I emphasize "think", that yardage is public information and it's not against the rules. You definitely can't say things like "what club did you hit" or "do you see anything wrong with my swing", etc.

There's been so many rule changes, honestly not sure if I'm correct or not. 

• Like 1

For me and buddies/randoms I usually don't mind if I have the finder out.  For advice for your junior, No is a complete sentence.  Boundaries are important to set and maintain - especially in this case because it's making a difference in a competition, it sounds like.

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Since this has become a bigger issue and has personally affected your kid's performance, I'd step-in (if you don't want to put him in a position where he has to reject other players) and announce before teeing off to not ask your son for yardages. If he feels comfortable, he could do it himself to the other partners so it's not on occurrence during the tournament and there's a ground rule established before play. 

Edited by robcha
  • Like 1

My son played Junior golf, my niece currently plays Junior golf as well, as HS golf.  I've played in many amateur / stroke and match events too.  New rules say you can ask an opponent for yardage. 

But let's be real about ROG tournaments for kids.  It's NOT the same as mid-week league tournaments for men.  Trying to be the nice person isn't always the best way to play your best golf in a tournament.  Yes, all events are meant to be fun, but everyone that signs up for a ROG based kid/amateur event, wants to win or at least place.  Making new friends is secondary.  The child has to make a decision about priorities, why he/she is there.  If there's a point where your child is constantly distracted by others asking for yardage, he/she should talk to the tournament committee after the days round to see how they suggest handling the distraction.  It's not the parent's role, but the child's decision.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I am with Pepper. I could see asking once or twice if, and only if, he/she was close by. Otherwise figure it out on your own. Or get one. To constantly ask is bad etiquette. 

The battery on my laser went dead a few weeks ago during a round. No big deal. Get on with it. 

Edited by mark m
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

According to the USGA.. It is illegal to give or ask for advice from anyone other than that player's own caddie (or partner if it's some sort of team event). 

The tricky part is that under the definitions of advice they do not have yardage as a defined form of advice and I think it is technically considered "public information". So someone could ask for or give a yardage to someone else and not violate any rules. However, you CANNOT ask about or give up information regarding club selection (i.e. "I hit a 7 iron" ).

As far as your predicament goes @Swashbuckler... If it were me, I wouldn't give anyone any yardages. They can either get their own rangefinder, or they can pace off the yardage themselves. However, I think your solution of letting him tell them the Par 3's only is a good middle ground if you don't want to go full throttle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since it is distracting to your son that others are constantly asking for yardages he needs to be a bit selfish and say no.  Him calling out on the par 3’s May give the impression they can keep asking.  I would have a hard time in a competition helping anybody out.  If I was playing with my 3 best friends, wouldn’t care as much.  

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

I have a Bushnell watch and I don’t mind letting my playing partners know what yardage , front, middle, back, we have from say a par 3 tee. 

I’ll give them the yardage I have from anywhere I am if they ask me. But I’m not going out of my way to stand at their ball and give them their yardage.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone asks, say on a tee box,  I give them what the watch is showing  and then they grab their own device and dispute what I gave them.  WTF did you ask me for!?!?

For the OP, maybe have your kid give the yardage he has from where HE is if he has his RF out, if it isn’t out let them know he put it away. 

Edited by 7ironDave
  • Like 1

If you have just lasered the flag, then handing out the yardage to anyone who asks doesn't appear to be much of a chore. But if you are constantly being asked, it grows old pretty quick, especially when they are asking from the fairway, and you're not even close.

I played with a guy last week who was doing just that, the best part was he actually wore a GPS watch. I asked him why did he have a watch if he wanted more accuracy, he said he was looking for a laser.

If they want the distance on the fairway, they can have it, from where my ball lies.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I have a GPS watch but only use it on courses i don't play much. At my home course i rarely use.

My general rule is don't ask more than 2-3 times in a round.

My general comments are the younger the person , the more willing they are to share it. I played with a 15yr old the other day, he told us all the yardage on every par 3 without prompting and if his ball was close to yours he'd also tell you without asking. Very nice kid

I think it's rude to ask on every shot

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, CaseyC said:

It's junior golf, have fun and don't be a jerk.  He may even make some new friends who will help him later in life....

You’re completely missing the point. Not referring to casual rounds of golf. This is tournaments I’m taking about.

imagine giving yardages to two others for entire tournament round, that you’re playing in. He’s a sweet boy and kind, and always makes friends but it’s not a casual round with the fellas slapping balls all over the course on a Saturday afternoon. 

• Like 2

There's a guy in my foursome that always asks for yardage.   I will point to the score card or the nearest yardage marker and say there's the 150.   It get tiresome to always get asked for yardages.    There have been times I've purposely decided to get a yardage after he's hit his ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

I have a GPS watch but only use it on courses i don't play much. At my home course i rarely use.

My general rule is don't ask more than 2-3 times in a round.

My general comments are the younger the person , the more willing they are to share it. I played with a 15yr old the other day, he told us all the yardage on every par 3 without prompting and if his ball was close to yours he'd also tell you without asking. Very nice kid

I think it's rude to ask on every shot

Exactly. It’s odd and something I never thought about before, but I saw two playing partners literally ask him to shoot 90% every yardage every shot even from across fairways asking him to come shoot their yardages..

im simply asking to find a way to help him say the right thing and be kind but not sacrifice his own game to be the groups Casdie as soon as they realize he has a rangefinder.

2 hours ago, Bob Cat said:

I was on a buddy's trip last year when a good friend kept bugging me for yardages.  Finally, I suggested he buy one, soon.  Next morning we're in line on the first tee and he asks me if my RF is for sale.  Dang straight I sold it!  No rangefinder was better than being asked 15 times a round!

Please tell me you then proceeded to ask him for yardages for the rest of the day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Swashbuckler said:

Strange question, but I have a kid who plays tourney golf. He uses a rangefinder which is legal. He’s a sweet kid, barely a teen.

The issue is, as soon as everyone in the group see he has a rangefinder, they literally bug him nonstop for yardages… literally every one of their shots! He’s kind, and doesn’t want to be rude but he’s getting frustrated to the point it’s hurting his focus and concentration and feels like the groups caddy. I’ve told him, shoot all the par 3 tee boxes and tell the group but other than that, they need to get their own yardages, so you can focus on your own game. He’s actually not even using it lately in tournament because he doesn’t want to bugged every shot which is counter productive in my opinion. Any advice to give the kid without being rude to his partners on tournament days? Thanks 

Question ... is it like "Hey, what yardage do you have from there?" after he shoots his yardage ... or is it "Could you come here and shoot this for me?"

If it's the first, or like you said par 3 tees, I don't see a problem just repeating a number you already know ...

But ain't no way I'm shooting a target for somebody else in tourney play ... and I sure ain't walking to somebody else's ball to do it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jwin323 said:

Giving some one a bad yardage a few times usually cures the problem. 

That is against the rules ... I know that much. You could argue to the officials you didn't know, but it goes against everything golf is about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Start giving the wrong yardage.  If they’re gonna rely on you for distance then they get what they deserve.

See above ... against the rules.

Honestly i think we make waaaaay too much of this stuff sometimes. No one needs to be a jerk

He can just tell people "I'm happy to provide a few yardages to you guys when you really need it --Just please don't ask me every time because i'm also competing and want to prep for my own shots"

Most people are not jerks and will respect this

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, Swashbuckler said:

You’re completely missing the point. Not referring to casual rounds of golf. This is tournaments I’m taking about.

imagine giving yardages to two others for entire tournament round, that you’re playing in. He’s a sweet boy and kind, and always makes friends but it’s not a casual round with the fellas slapping balls all over the course on a Saturday afternoon. 

You are completely missing the point.  It is junior golf!   Lighten up.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1