Learning to be at peace and accepting improvement has flat lined

you are not swinging correctly. any reasonably athletic person in the prime of their lives can break 80 with a fundamental understanding of the golf swing. you do not need exceptional hand eye coordination or some supreme mental makeup. 

The problem is, just grinding away doesn't solve anything if you do not understand what to practice. bouncing around videos, drills, golf magazine tips doesn't help. just hitting 500 balls a week doesnt help if you hit them with poor mechanics. you are just sharpening a butter knife. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I'm seeing a lot of posts that are more or less to the effect of, 'you should be able to improve, so just do it', and 'I did it so you can too'.  I'd approach these with a healthy skepticism.  Everyone is different.  I worked incredibly hard for a year and saw little to no improvement in contact or score.  I finally broke down and got some lessons and that helped.  

I can remember one round with my old swing.  I used to dip down really bad in the backswing which lead to all kinds of inconsistency.  I had no idea I was doing it, so I wasn't working on improving it.  I was compensating really well one round on a course I knew well and I shot 86.  I think that would have been my high water mark if I'd never gotten lessons.  

16 hours ago, Wormkiller said:

Now with golf, I think I've reached the limit of my ability.

It's a bad self-image error to conclude you've reached some imaginary limit of ability.  Given how you explained your attempts at earlier activities, it's no surprise, something similar is happening again, this time with golf.  Your future is yours to change.

As it is, you are in your own way.  Lighten up with the obsessing and overthinking, and predicting based on failed expectations.  Take each day as it comes, and do the best you can. 

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I was once where you were..  Non-athletic kid, and throughout my 20s I was a 100-110 golfer, occasionally dipping into the 90s. I was stuck there for a decade but I just kept plugging away. In my early 30s, I discovered Mike Maves video on "The Move" and screwing my back foot into the ground for balance on my backswing.  This was an eureka fix for my full swing and I instantly improved my swing and after a lot of practice, broke 90 and then started shooting in the 80s pretty consistently, getting down to an 82 four years ago (at age 35).. 

I'm 39 now and been stuck at this level for four years now and working hard looking for the next "jump".. I didn't play hardly at all last year, but got back into this year and after being mid-90s for the first couple months I am starting to find my groove again, and shot a 43 on the back to scratch out an 88 the other day.. I feel like I'm very close to giving 80 a run again if I can just tighten up my driver to eliminate blowup holes and sharpening my putting a little..  I'll never give up in my quest to break 80.

Edited by sekrah

Like a few others have said.  If you have been at this for awhile, even had instruction, and you are a 20 cap rarely if never breaking 90, then pretty much everything you are doing is wrong.  Quit right now, do not hit another golf ball for at least two weeks, longer if needed, but no coming back to the game until you have a clear goal.  You had the first goal, go from 150 to not being an embarrassment, so congrats you did that.  Now what is the next goal.  And if it is to get better, to say, breaking 90 every time out, the great, start all over, forget everything you have been doing, and be smart about the plan to shooting in 80s.

It's not that complicated.  I don't need to see your swing.  If you are shooting around 100, it's not good.  Find an instructor who can keep it simple for you, and you can trust.  There are lots of good instructors, but very few who can communicate and teach to what works for you, not anyone else, for you.  If an instructor cannot fairly quickly get you to a point where the ball stays on the course by giving you intents, feels, and instruction that resonates with you, then that is not the instructor for you.

And don't blame the instructor if you are not going to be a good student; totally open minded, try what they tell you, repeatedly and without debate.  Your only feedback is "I don't understand" whenever they ask you to do something totally foreign to you.  Do not ask about what you saw on the internet, or this pro does that, blah, blah, blah.  Work with one person on your swing, nothing else.

And practice your putting!  Starting with distance control.  Anyone can learn to properly lag putt.

I have played with a ton of golfers who shoot 90s or worse; they all have two things in common.  Major flaws in their swing from bad grip to stance to crazy first move off the ball, and too stubborn to change.  I have never seen a golfer who sets up correctly, takes a decent first move off the ball shoot 100. 

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

It's a bad self-image error to conclude you've reached some imaginary limit of ability.  Given how you explained your attempts at earlier activities, it's no surprise, something similar is happening again, this time with golf.  Your future is yours to change.

As it is, you are in your own way.  Lighten up with the obsessing and overthinking, and predicting based on failed expectations.  Take each day as it comes, and do the best you can. 

This 100%. 

You view yourself as a quitter and a failure and then are surprised when life presents you with reasons you're a quitter and a failure.

View yourself differently in a way that scares you or makes you uncomfortable to say out loud

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

I'm seeing a lot of posts that are more or less to the effect of, 'you should be able to improve, so just do it', and 'I did it so you can too'.  I'd approach these with a healthy skepticism.  Everyone is different.  I worked incredibly hard for a year and saw little to no improvement in contact or score.  

I havent read any comment that was sceptical of how 'hard' you worked.. Ive read several, including mine, that suggested you werent working smart.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

I havent read any comment that was sceptical of how 'hard' you worked.. Ive read several, including mine, that suggested you werent working smart.

I'm not the OP.  I was referring to comments referencing the OP.  You probably didn't see any comments skeptical of how hard I worked because there are none, which is probably why I didn't comment on that.  Your earlier post was directed at the OP, not me, so again, I'm not sure what you're talking about or why you're talking to me.

In any event, I do agree with your earlier comment.  The OP should try something new.  Personally, I think lessons or a new instructor would be a good place to start.  As I said previously, I was not able to make a material improvement on my own, and I imagine others may find themselves in similar circumstances.

Another web site which I don't like has a good thread saying, stop conning yourself. I take this as, have you really made the neccessary effort and changes to improve? Have you really practiced and taken enough lessons? Spent an hour on the putting green twice a week? Did you get fit for your clubs or seek professional help for equipment? On one hand, I like your sentiment of just go with what you have, enjoy it and forget it, it would have saved me years of time and frustration-not worrying about it. I think that is ok. But, if you really want to improve, I think it would take a better effort and more money spent.   

• Like 1

Good post OP. 

I find myself asking similar questions.  I started golfing in my late 30's and was instantly attracted to how it wasn't something I could conquer right away.

If I stay focused I can break 90 but when I don't it's because I'm complacent.  Sometimes (more times than not) I just don't focus for an entire round.  I want to rely on muscle memory but find I need to pay attention to what I'm doing from setup to follow through to be somewhat consistent and some days I don't have the focus.

I resisted lessons for the first few years.  Now I wish I would of started with lessons and good practice.  I take a lesson and I'm good for a few weeks, then my old setup and swing flaws/habits want to creep back in. 

Over the years I've taken notes about setup and swing.  Sometimes just reviewing the notes is enough to get things back on track.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

13 hours ago, milesgiles said:

tend to agree

saw op post a similar thread before, dont remember him posting his swing for criticism. Theres just so much good advice on this forum and everywhere, its never been easier to improve, if you want to, and are prepared to work methodically.

Ive said to a few mates before, approach golf like you would your job.. listen, take advice, practise, implement, re adjust etc etc.. you dint just turn up to work and hope for the best 

I'm not posting my swing for advice from non-pros as from experience I've done it elsewhere and I've got nothing from it. In fact its just set me back. I've done a couple of video lessons submitting videos to an actual pro and he gave me advice which took my game a long way from being an 150 shots per round absolute hacker to being at least some what competent on the course.

Like Ive mentioned in a PM to another poster -

I think one factor behind why I'm not improving score wise comes down to playing more golf recently following the rules to the absolute tee. Only the last 6 months or so have I started playing competitively where I have got an official handicap and I've had to count every penalty, play every ball as it lies. Its been an eye opener to my actual ability. Compared to playing social rounds previously where I might have a breakfast ball, kick a ball into a clearer patch, put down a new ball in the rough when I think I had lost my old one...

In Australia we can't submit social rounds to our handicap. Only rounds from formal comps. I've seen many others who have started playing comps with new official handicaps post scores massively inflated from what they believe they normally score. One of my friends got a handicap believing he scores around the 80 mark and he is yet to break 100 in formal comps at my course.

We also can't play off any tee we want. In comps its the green tees only and they are at the back.

Edited by Wormkiller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormkiller said:

I'm not posting my swing for advice from non-pros as from experience I've done it elsewhere and I've got nothing from it. In fact its just set me back. I've done a couple of video lessons submitting videos to an actual pro and he gave me advice which took my game a long way from being an 150 shots per round absolute hacker to being at least some what competent on the course.

Something to consider:

A single digit can see things in your setup and swing that you aren't aware of.  I validate things I'm told and have found out that those who are at a level I'd like to be at have insight as to what is going on most of the time.

My buddy who breaks 100 once a year is not the person I'm listening to.  Low single digit partners who are comfortable enough to tell me obvious things they see are the ones I'll note the observation and check it out next time I'm at the range.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

6 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

I'm not the OP.  I was referring to comments referencing the OP.  You probably didn't see any comments skeptical of how hard I worked because there are none, which is probably why I didn't comment on that.  Your earlier post was directed at the OP, not me, so again, I'm not sure what you're talking about or why you're talking to me.

In any event, I do agree with your earlier comment.  The OP should try something new.  Personally, I think lessons or a new instructor would be a good place to start.  As I said previously, I was not able to make a material improvement on my own, and I imagine others may find themselves in similar circumstances.

i stand corrected. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wormkiller said:

Huge assumption and generalization that. 

I agree with him. A low single digit player is likely to have perfectly valid ideas about the golf swing and is often worth listening to. There are a few of us at my club, luckily, and we help each other out if asked. A lot of pro's were exceptional players from a very early age and havent had to struggle the way we have with ingrained faults and bad habits..

Post these stats and people will be able to tell you where you can improve:

Fairways hit

GIR

Putts per round

Putts per GIR

Up & Down %

Also, do you have any stats on miss tendencies? When you miss a fairway is it more right or left? Greens - short? Long? Left or right?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

3+ years is not a long time in a golfing life, I think it is a little early to accept it. Perhaps, a short break from the game is in order or just turn off, the mental chatter to fix yoursdelf, for a short time.

Also, may say you can't buy a game, but, I think some equipment changes may help a higher capper. There's many companies who allow you to demo their clubs like Tour Edge, Sub70 and Ben Hogan. Our Dicks Sporting Goods allows you to return used clubs after 6 days.

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1

It does feel like you're putting too much pressure on yourself.  You can't play frustrated or scared and expect long term improvement.  Your feeling on the golf course should be something like being comfortably in command.  Have you tried a playing lesson with a pro?  He or she could help you understand why your performance is the way it is.

• Like 1

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

9 hours ago, Wormkiller said:

38. Been playing seriously for about 3.5 years.

Yeah, 3.5 years is not much time. If you're an instant-gratification kind of guy (and willing to admit it), then golf is going to be a real challenge. But it's also something at which you can keep improving, especially given that you're "just" 38 (I'm 50, been playing for years, have been a single-digit for 6 or so years, and am convinced that my best golf is ahead of me).

• Like 1

Just now, stingerfade said:

My friends grandfather just shot his career low 75. He’s 74. He was still so mad he missed his age by 1 haha

Yep.  But that’s the mindset of a player who is still grinding. Which is paramount to playing this game.  If you don’t enjoy a good kick in the jewels , play checkers or tennis or something else.  😂   

It’s important to celebrate improvement , but. Being close to a greater Goal during that improvement , is tough for us hard head types.  maybe that will push him over the edge to go a couple shots lower next time.  His mind now knows he can do it with zero doubt.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

22 hours ago, Follow The Sun said:

What Percentage of Golfers can Break 70? 

According to data collected by the United States Golf Association, only 0.92% of golfers break 70 consistently.

Good Golfing ...