Give yourself some credit...what are you proud of this year?

ZacR88

Broke 100 this year and then the next day out almost broke 90. Game is in much better shape

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Moved to a push cut type shot off T.  Committed to it.  Finally got it down.  Won a long drive in scramble to boot.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Getting to single digits hdcp

• Like 1

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, Max21 said:

Struggled a lot with the swing at some points but I stuck with the lessons and practice and have made huge changes. Dropped down to a 12 handicap and broke 40 for the first time ever this year and it was just an amazing experience and showed the hard work paid off

After posting in August that i broke 40 on 9 holes for the first time, a few weeks later i shot my best round ever and first round under 80 with a 77

• Like 3

Will share a moment of brilliance from Friday's round.  Had a drive hit the fairway which took a rather unfortunate bounce right into a small clump of trees. Approaching the ball it was almost directly behind a tree and it looked as though the best thing would be to punch it back into the fairway and hope from there.

Playing with a long time golf bud who always says he's rather see me in the middle of the fairway than in this kind of dilemma. He asked me what I was going to do and when I said punch it into the fairway, he said, that's not you, create something. I was 184 out, a very tiny opening between bunkers in the front of the green, literally about a 6 inch gap between the trees, the ball would need to be flighted down and oh BTW, cut about 60 yards.

For some wacky reason, I had taken the 4h outta the bag and put the 4i back in.  It's the easiest club to use for manipulating the ball and I hit a shot that missed the overhanging branch, found the 6 inch gap between trees, and started on a 60 yard left to right journey that found the gap in the front of the green but because of the trajectory, it ran through to the back fringe.  I was laughing my arse off and my golf bud didn't find the same delight as that shot ended up closing out our match.  

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 2

I shoot in the 90's but have been working on my swing to have the potential to shoot in the 70's and have made progress on my swing with the woods and long irons, still my short irons and pitching suffered.

However, very recently I remembered videos by Bobby Jones and others talking about how to hit bunker/pitch shots by staying more on the left side and setting the wrists earlier and voila now my short irons/pitching is manageable. I never realized it but to me this is a different swing technique and understanding this is all I needed to have the confidence to stick with it.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I did shoot a pb but its not that

What im really proud of is that finally, finally, Im slotting the downswing and have got rid of the steep transition. Took a few thousand swings and a couple of months, and I almost dont want to say it too loud just in case.. but Im hoping its finally stuck.

Imo if you suffer a steep transition, nothing will light up your world as much as shallowing it out. Make it your priority, for as long as it takes..

ps, thanks to all here on the instruction section, advised me several times the last two years, when Ive really committed to getting a technically better swing

Committed to a consistent left-to-right ball flight. No more draws or trying to shape shots both ways! Unless I'm forced to hook something around a tree or where absolutely necessary. This has really freed me up to commit to my shots more fully, knowing the range of outcomes is narrower. Found my groove the last few months, handicap back down into plus territory, won my club championship last month!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I returned to the game after a 10-year hiatus in 2019 when I retired and this year broke 90 (shot an 87 at North Kingstown Golf Course) and by late season was typically shooting in the low 90's.

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

I had 4 goals for 2021:

1) Play 18 holes in level par or better - Done on July 4th by burying a 25 foot putt on 18 to play the inward 9 4 under to shoot 72 from 6800 yards.

2) Get my index under 5 from 7.something at the start of the year, currently at 4.1

3) Get into the final 3some of the annual Am tournament where I finished T6 in 2020- Shot 35 on the final 9 on Sunday to close a 5 shot gap with the leader and won...

and...

4) Win one or both of the trophies at stake during my annual buddies trip... - 0 for 2, lost my individual match 4&3 and got smoked on round 2 of the points game... c'est la vie.

Great year of golf, and living in the desert SW there is no offseason 🙂

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Another interesting accomplishment happened today.  Played a two day 54 hole tournament.  Each day we play 9 holes of scramble, alternate shot, and best ball each.  My partner and I got third which is our best ever (net event with everyone stroking off my +2).  My partner is a 7 or 8 cap so we don't get many pops.

The notable accomplishment was we shot -2 on our alt shot 9 today... gross!  Partner played great and I was reading putts very well, driving the ball great, and pulled out a couple sublime short game shots.  Being under par gross in alt shot is very, very tough to do.

Anything under par in alt shot is an accomplishment.  Well done TP and congrats on the great finish!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Anything under par in alt shot is an accomplishment.  Well done TP and congrats on the great finish!

Thanks!  It was our best finish in this tournament (my favorite net event).  I feel a little bad for my partner always getting stuck with me in these net events.  Because of the handicap restrictions, I can't play unless my partner's cap is low enough to avoid giving up some pops (10 stroke max separation) so it feels good when we sneak into the money.  In flight 1 we still end up competing against teams of mid-double digit players.  Tough to overcome the avalanche of pops.

I've improved a ton on 30-60 yard pitch shots, by practicing into a net with my PRGR early in the season.  I'm a 10 handicap and my 25-50 yard shots are at tour level this year according to Shotscope (9 feet average proximity).  It's not the most impactful skill on a strokes gained basis, but Shotscope says that I'm gaining 1 stroke vs. a 10 handicap solely based on 25-50 yards shots. 

I've also been battling De Quervain's (thumb pain) since May, so I essentially stopped practicing for most of the year and only have 15 rounds in (split between 9 and 18 hole rounds).  My handicap has stayed the same and I'm confident that it will drop once this pain issue is healed.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

4 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Thanks!  It was our best finish in this tournament (my favorite net event).  I feel a little bad for my partner always getting stuck with me in these net events.  Because of the handicap restrictions, I can't play unless my partner's cap is low enough to avoid giving up some pops (10 stroke max separation) so it feels good when we sneak into the money.  In flight 1 we still end up competing against teams of mid-double digit players.  Tough to overcome the avalanche of pops.

Sucks to be good sometimes TP.  Fortunately I don't have that concern.

• Haha 1

It's too early to say for certain, but I think I've fixed my one major swing issue this year. I can still play good golf with the issue, but it's holding me back from the next level. If I've actually fixed it, it's a massive accomplishment and will allow me to focus on other finer points. I'm excited about what's to come. 

One positive I can take from this year is finally getting over hip surgery and the bursitis (that was worse than the surgery) from going too hard too soon.

The other is fixing chipping yips that crept in, ironically enough by forgetting about using the bounce and simply focusing on “covering” the ball and making good contact. Otherwise I played like Word not allowed

Edited by GolfTurkey