2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pxg gen4 0811x vs everything else….

Hotdocta

2 hours ago, pollock21 said:

Which Model do you have? X or XF?

Pollock let me give you a little more info that hopefully helps you. I’ve only been playing golf about 8 yrs (5-6 seriously) and driving has always been my kryptonite…last few years really worked on that and got a lot better. Since getting the GEN4 (a month and half) my handicap has dropped from a 14 to 11.1 as of Thursday morning.

That’s how good the GEN4 0811x and Smoke Green combo has been for me. It took my kryptonite and made it the number 1 weapon in my bag and that was always my putter. I’m a little longer now (7-8 yds on avg) but I’m striping the fairways ALOT now.  

I’ve always leaned towards the lower spinning options in Driver as I tend to hit down on ball a little bit despite that those heads have always been forgiving enough. My Proto 0811x (9’ set at 10.5 with Ventus Blue 6s) was really good but had a little something that was missing. Then went to Cobra Radspeed XB with Smoke Green because I wanted the Limited Edition version…that was super forgiving and long.  Thought I had found the ONE, but got in on the deal they had for super cheap and found same Smoke Green to have a head to head.   My GEN4 X is 10.5 set standard 10.5 with 10g up front, 2.5g in heel and back…Radspeed XB is 10.5 set at 10.5d with stock non moveable heavy weight back. Both have exact same shaft PXG at 45”, Cobra at 45.75” and the Pxg launches slightly higher and a touch longer despite shaft length. If you look in GEN4 thread there’s pics several of us posted with strike locations. 

Sorry for the long read but hope this helps. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Wow out of town for a couple of days and this thread blows up!

So I played three rounds with my gen4 x. I hate to admit it, but it beat out my sim.    It is not much longer, but it is a way straighter.  The moveable weight makes a huge difference.   

set up that won:

gen4 x 9 degrees.   45.5

gd tour ad tp 6s.

Weight configuration still needs to be tuned , but right now, heaviest in the heal, second heaviest in the back, lightest in the front.   I almost found this to have too much draw.  I have the weight kit and have not messed around too much yet.

keep the stories going

• Like 3

I’ll just put this out here. The Gen4 X driver is insane good for me. Played this morning and getting in a groove and hitting it even longer than the last round. Man this thing is crazy good. Forgiving and looong. Had the OG Sim and Sim Max and this is much better for me. 

At the current price it would be nuts not to pick one up and try it. You won’t be disappointed. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Pulled the trigger on the Gen 4X with hzrdus smoke yellow 60g 6.5 shaft. I haven't found many clubs that I've liked that shaft in, but they told me it would build to D3 so this might work with the counterbalancing and D3 SW. We will see. I have a hzrdus rdx black 6.5TX ready to throw a tip on in case the yellow doesn't work out, so for me it wasn't worth paying them for any upgrades.

I ordered Saturday and it shipped today, can't beat that. "Expected" delivery is that Friday. That would make it 6 days from order to arrival from Arizona to South Carolina. My money says Fedex drops the ball along the way haha.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

46 minutes ago, JAM01 said:

XF - 10.5 turned to 9.5 with 10 grams in heel and front, 2.5 in rear. 45.5 CB Riptide. Beat out the G425 Max. Most controllable driver I maybe ever had. 36 holes played, where I use driver, close to 75% in the fairway, which is amazing for me. Short grass golf is more fun. 

How is the Riptide CB shaft?

• 1 month later...

So I have just about every driver made to man.  In fact I might have them all currently (Lol).  I have all the new ones from this year and a bunch from last year but just pulled the trigger on the Gen4 X in 9* due to the price.  I do have the Proto X but the Mavrik I had custom weighted with hot melt beat it out last year.  I had it moved forward to reduce spin but still had the forgiving head.  It didn’t leave my bag until the Epic Max LS and that was replaced by the Epic Speed TD LS.  I cannot wait for the Gen 4 0811X to get here to put it up against the Cally TDLS, Sim2, original Mavrik, Epic Max LS, Mizuno ST-Z (a sleeper), TSi3 and TSi4 and Rad Speed (least favorite out of the 2021 class).  My only concern is everyone talking abou how high it goes.  I hit a very high ball already (especially with the AutoFlex SF505XX) even with the Ventus Black 6X and 7X, Red 6X tipped almost 2inch, Ventus Blue 6X and 7X, Tensei 1K (50TX and 60TX).  I can flatten it out some with the Black but I hit it farther carry wise when I go for the high bomb as carry for me is what’s important.  Depending on the course you cannot control roll so I go by carry yardage.   So I’m wondering if anyone has tried the 7.5*?  Did you hit the 9* first?  Any comparisons or Info would be appreciated.  

they told me the commercials may say it will be shipped in 5-6 days but some are seeing a few weeks so I won’t have it for a while.  I did pick up a Gen4 5 wood from someone here and paired it with a Ventus Blue 7X, upped the weight with some weights I had from a kit to match an older tour issue Epic Flash SZ 5 wood I had (218g) and it was a beast for me yesterday.  I had one off the tee that I usually hit 3 wood as it’s very tight and hit the 5 wood.  Went to where the normal 3 wood goes.  Hoping the Driver is as good. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

7 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

So I have just about every driver made to man.  In fact I might have them all currently (Lol).  I have all the new ones from this year and a bunch from last year but just pulled the trigger on the Gen4 X in 9* due to the price.  I do have the Proto X but the Mavrik I had custom weighted with hot melt beat it out last year.  I had it moved forward to reduce spin but still had the forgiving head.  It didn’t leave my bag until the Epic Max LS and that was replaced by the Epic Speed TD LS.  I cannot wait for the Gen 4 0811X to get here to put it up against the Cally TDLS, Sim2, original Mavrik, Epic Max LS, Mizuno ST-Z (a sleeper), TSi3 and TSi4 and Rad Speed (least favorite out of the 2021 class).  My only concern is everyone talking abou how high it goes.  I hit a very high ball already (especially with the AutoFlex SF505XX) even with the Ventus Black 6X and 7X, Red 6X tipped almost 2inch, Ventus Blue 6X and 7X, Tensei 1K (50TX and 60TX).  I can flatten it out some with the Black but I hit it farther carry wise when I go for the high bomb as carry for me is what’s important.  Depending on the course you cannot control roll so I go by carry yardage.   So I’m wondering if anyone has tried the 7.5*?  Did you hit the 9* first?  Any comparisons or Info would be appreciated.  

they told me the commercials may say it will be shipped in 5-6 days but some are seeing a few weeks so I won’t have it for a while.  I did pick up a Gen4 5 wood from someone here and paired it with a Ventus Blue 7X, upped the weight with some weights I had from a kit to match an older tour issue Epic Flash SZ 5 wood I had (218g) and it was a beast for me yesterday.  I had one off the tee that I usually hit 3 wood as it’s very tight and hit the 5 wood.  Went to where the normal 3 wood goes.  Hoping the Driver is as good. 

Can’t wait to hear your experience with the Gen4 against the Sim2.

I use the 10.5 and flights lower than the Proto. 

BTW, should ship very quickly. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Gen 4 will ship quick, 2-3 days after order then fedex takes over. 

My driver and hybrid each took a week from order to receive. I’d recommend calling in to order and verify that the shafts and head are in stock just to be sure there aren’t any back order issues. 

0811X finally beat out my 2016 M2. Only one of the dozens I tried in the past 5 years that could do it. I found the right shaft, and invested enough time in fiddling with the weights and adapter, and found a driver that is automatic. It is the one club in my bag that I don't even think about anymore.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Wow!!

Cannot wait to here 🍿ready to see how it compares to ESTD LS ..

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

FedEx screwed up the shipment for my Gen 4 driver. It was scheduled to be delivered Saturday and they sent it to another state. Hopefully they find it and it is undamaged and get it delivered ASAP. This is the 2nd shipment of mine they have screwed up this year.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

8 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

FedEx screwed up the shipment for my Gen 4 driver. It was scheduled to be delivered Saturday and they sent it to another state. Hopefully they find it and it is undamaged and get it delivered ASAP. This is the 2nd shipment of mine they have screwed up this year.

Fedex is the worst. I mean USPS blows them away and it's not even close. Which is sad to say! I actually called PXG to give them the feedback on Fedex since they screwed up my delivery on it.

All that being said, this thing is worth the wait. When I was considering it, my buddy described it as Ping forgiveness with taylormade distance. That's exactly what I found with mine.

The only downside are the stock shaft options. If you like a low/low type of profile, the only shaft they offer is the yellow which is counterbalanced. So there's really nothing you can get in that profile that's not CB.

I'd also recommend spending the extra $10 for a grip of your choice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pdxhak said:

This is what I’m seeing with just bout every order I get using Fed Ex.  The last 4 orders using Fed Ex have been delayed or in a couple cases just lost for a bit and then happen to be found.

had one shipment (I live in CA) where I bought a shaft from a guy in Oregon.  It shipped to Memphis.  Ok it’s their hub but it’s across the country but again it’s their hub. 2 days later (when it was supposed to be here) it goes to Texas.  A day passes and it leaves, 2 days later it arrives back to the hub?  WTF?  Crazy thing was that Fed Ex did this 3 times before finally getting it to me 3 weeks late. 

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

8 hours ago, FredZollner said:

0811X finally beat out my 2016 M2. Only one of the dozens I tried in the past 5 years that could do it. I found the right shaft, and invested enough time in fiddling with the weights and adapter, and found a driver that is automatic. It is the one club in my bag that I don't even think about anymore.  

Thinking of trying to beat out 17 M2 ... for $299 might as well

Ive always come back to her

• Like 1

So I just pulled the trigger on a Gen4 0811X 7.5 head off the bay.  Good price so now I’ll have 2 coming to me to test.  😂. Depending on how this guys ships it, we will see who gets here faster.  Just got notice my 9* is supposed to go out today (Fed Ex 🤢).

I did have some really good testing yesterday as I’m trying to get my swing grooved back in after some surgeries I had late last year, early this year and just 11 days ago.  The one 11 days ago was just minor but needed to relieve some pain.  Swing felt good yesterday and no pain and I was getting up some good swing speeds (at least for me) but spinny on some shots.  Ranged between 108mph( last swing as I was tired after 100 balls) and topped at 116.8.  Most were between 111-114.  My range has normal range balls but they also have a bunch of the distance reduced range balls.  So I go off of swing speed and ball speed as I know the distance and sometimes spin will be way off.  Used my Mevo when testing.  Also tested a couple of driving irons and the Gen4 5 wood.  Boy was it good off the tee again.  Still working off the deck but it wasn’t bad.  Have a Ventus Blue 7X in it. 

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

FedEx still has not found my driver and at this point not expecting it to show up. Either it is truly lost or someone walked off with it. I contacted PXG a couple days ago just to give them a heads up. I asked FedEx how long will they investigate before declaring the club lost and they essentially responded with some gibberish. I'm really excited to hit this club and struggling to be patient 🙂

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I just picked up a Gen 4 0811 X and the main competitor was the TSI3. I went to a club champion fitting and they fit me into the TSI3 with a $380 shaft and it was going to be $900 for a new driver. I was ready to buy but I wanted to make sure it was worth it. I get it, a custom shaft is expensive, but there was just something about the principal of the whole situation to me. Like... $900 feels absurd so it better be CLEARLY worth it. Even if it was subjective, like feel, if the $900 was clearly the winner I was ready to buy. Then 2 days later took my BioCell gamer (same one I took to CC) to PXG for a fitting. Got very similar numbers out of my gamer so I was comfortable with this being a pretty close apples to apples comparison. Because of the $900 sticker shock and a day of doing research on the internet I really wanted to get fit into the 0211 (for $199) so I could give a big middle finger to Titleist and CC. The Gen 4 won out. I didn't like the white alum vapor on the top. I tried to essentially force the 0811 x prototype to win out but the numbers were the numbers, the Gen 4 was just more solid & consistent for me. I'll get use to the white vapor on the top. And I can still give a middle finger to Titleist and CC because they were beat by a $299 driver. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Looks like the price went back up to $399.  I was thinking about getting one for my wife but I’m gonna hang on until there is another price drop.  399 is a fine price but I th8nk they have kind of changed expectations by selling them for less for so long…

IIRC the sale was through 8/31 but would be surprised if they prices drops again.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

25 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

IIRC the sale was through 8/31 but would be surprised if they prices drops again.

Could be they won’t drop it again, but it seems to be their model to periodically slice prices.  I’m sure it is a fine value at 399 but it just makes me not as interested after seeing it at 299 for the last month…

• Like 1

I have been playing the gen 4 XF for about the last 5 rounds. I have always considered myself somewhat of a traditionalist/minimalist. I don't like colors or flashy clubs. I ordered the driver on sale thinking the aluminum vapor would probably be overbearing. Loved it instantly when I set it behind the ball, it reminds me of a race car. Great alignment and inspires confidence. I like it so much I will be hesitant to order a gen 5 or 6 in the future if they get rid of it, by the way, it performs, I believe it is the straightest driver I have ever hit, probably because of the confidence the look gives me.

Edited by Unibrow

3 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

I just picked up a Gen 4 0811 X and the main competitor was the TSI3. I went to a club champion fitting and they fit me into the TSI3 with a $380 shaft and it was going to be $900 for a new driver. I was ready to buy but I wanted to make sure it was worth it. I get it, a custom shaft is expensive, but there was just something about the principal of the whole situation to me. Like... $900 feels absurd so it better be CLEARLY worth it. Even if it was subjective, like feel, if the $900 was clearly the winner I was ready to buy. Then 2 days later took my BioCell gamer (same one I took to CC) to PXG for a fitting. Got very similar numbers out of my gamer so I was comfortable with this being a pretty close apples to apples comparison. Because of the $900 sticker shock and a day of doing research on the internet I really wanted to get fit into the 0211 (for $199) so I could give a big middle finger to Titleist and CC. The Gen 4 won out. I didn't like the white alum vapor on the top. I tried to essentially force the 0811 x prototype to win out but the numbers were the numbers, the Gen 4 was just more solid & consistent for me. I'll get use to the white vapor on the top. And I can still give a middle finger to Titleist and CC because they were beat by a $299 driver. 

Doesn't CC fit PXG? Guess they wanted to make sure they hit monthly revenue goals and pushed you towards another product so they get their bonuses. 😂 Seems people can't get out of that place for much less than $1,000 on driver fittings. Insane! Glad you ended up in the Gen4, the crown is no big deal and you won't even notice it after the first round. Enjoy!

• Like 1

The PXG Gen4 7.5* got here way before the actual one from PXG and Fed Ex.  Updated schedule says next Wednesday for the 9*.  So I took the screw out of the 7.5 and fitted it with the All Fit screw and hit it with a Ventus Black 5X, Ventus Black 6X, AutoFlex SF505XX, Tensei 1K 50TX.  I’ve got some heavier shafts as well.  I also increased the head weight as it came with (2) of the 2.5g and (1) 10g weight.  I swapped out the 10g to a 15g and kept it in the back.  It’s good and feels lively.  Was still testing against other heads with those shafts as well.  Best combo was the Ventus Black 6X as the lighter I went I could really snap it left.  When I smoothed out the tempo and didn’t try and jump on it as hard, it was a beaut.  No problem with launch, even at 7.5*. I will try and maybe add some loft and open it up and then test the lighter shafts.  Head is very stable and feels solid when struck well.  Cannot wait for the 9* to get here.  

I’ve got a Ventus Blue 6X, 7X, Black 7X and a couple other heavier shafts I can try out as well.  Swing is still a struggle at times but getting better and better.  I’m still coming over the top when I try and step on it hard.  When I try and smooth it out, much easier to get in the slot and come from the inside without hooking it.  Just straight or a nice high baby draw. 

• Like 2

PXG Hybrid stand bag

I was fit into the Ventus Black today and agree that when I go smoother with it is much better. Well, either way it is just good. Best shaft I have swung in a very long time. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick