2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pxg gen4 0811x vs everything else….

Hotdocta

31 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I was fit into the Ventus Black today and agree that when I go smoother with it is much better. Well, either way it is just good. Best shaft I have swung in a very long time. 

I would have thought my AutoFlex XX would have been a good fit for the Gen4 0811X 7.5* as it gives a nice high launch.  Could just have been me today as I was trying to muscle it for some reason, rather than smooth it out, which is the best for the AutoFlex.  Will try it again over the weekend when I’m not as rushed and have more time.  I think adding a little weight  (it came at 194g) to play around 198-200grams with the AF XX could be a killer combo.  Nice high launching shaft with a 7.5 head.  Maybe move the weight around a little more or up front.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

4 hours ago, FlyingRev said:

Ping g425 beat out the PXG, and it was not a close battle. 

Looks, feel and performance were much better with the Pings.  

I so wish I could type this and feel like I was being truthful, you will have to teach me how as it would save me a lot of money.  Sadly, I think the PXG's look better, feel better and the numbers suggest that they also perform better for me 🙄

I will say that I like the Ping 425 Driver and Hybrid and find them visually appealing and I like the G425 crossover, everything else, I am absolutely with the PXG...

2 hours ago, TheNug said:

I so wish I could type this and feel like I was being truthful, you will have to teach me how as it would save me a lot of money.  Sadly, I think the PXG's look better, feel better and the numbers suggest that they also perform better for me 🙄

I will say that I like the Ping 425 Driver and Hybrid and find them visually appealing and I like the G425 crossover, everything else, I am absolutely with the PXG...

That’s why there are options in life. I detest the looks of the PXG’s. Just my opinion. I went through an extensive fitting on a trackman and also out on the range using ProV1’s and the ball flight, distance and feel for the irons was decisively in favor of the Pings. 

Buy what you like and feel comfortable with your choice.

10 hours ago, FlyingRev said:

Ping g425 beat out the PXG, and it was not a close battle. 

Looks, feel and performance were much better with the Pings.  

I can't hit a Ping driver to save my life.  Not sure why.  Love their irons and wedges, though.  Been using them for years.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I received my 0811X yesterday (timely delivery from FedEx, have never really had an issue with them...UPS, on the other hand, don't get me started) and took it out to the course for a battle with my Epic Max LS.  I was the last one off in the late afternoon, so I hit each driver on each hole that required a driver.  Most holes, I hit multiple shots with each.

Observations:

- The heavy weight in the front of the 0811X did not work for me.  Reminded me of my experience with the SLDR.  1 out of every 5 shots would be some of my longest drives ever.  The other 4 would be knuckleball duck hooks that went maybe 150 yards.  For whatever reason, I do not get along with weight-forward drivers.  I guess I just don't hit the center of the driver face consistently enough to take advantage of the weight-forward setting.  

- I then put the heavy weight in the back, and started to hit it much better.  Still hooking it though.  Then I put the shaft in the "PXG" setting, which flattened the lie by 3 degrees.  That's when the driver came alive for me.  Started hitting some really nice power fades.  This IS NOT my normal ball flight pattern.  I normally draw/hook my drives.  Had to rewire my brain to not aim down the right side.  

Now to the comparison results.  My driver swing speed is 104 with -2 degree angle of attack.

Length - The Epic Max LS was a few yards longer, on average.  That said, I was drawing the LS and fading the 0811X.  So the 0811X probably had a longer carry distance with less rollout, while the LS carried a little shorter but rolled out more.

Forgiveness - The 0811X was very forgiving in both distance and left-right dispersion on shots hit towards the heel.  Not much distance loss and the ball tended to fly pretty straight.  The LS was more forgiving on shots hit towards the toe.  For me, the 0811X was not very forgiving on toe hits or on shots hit high on the center of the club face.  Fortunately, my miss is more heel-side than toe-side, so this wasn't a big issue for me.  Overall, though, I would have to give the forgiveness award to the LS.  It is pretty forgiving no matter where on the club face you hit it.

Conclusion - I will use the 0811X for a few more rounds, have 30 days to return it if I don't want to keep it, to see if these initial results hold up over time.  Right now I don't see it replacing my LS, but that could change.  If I didn't already have a recent driver, I would definitely give the 0811X strong consideration, especially at the $299 that I paid of it.  I know it went back up to $399, but the price will probably come down again before XMas.  It probably is the best value driver on the market, hands down.  And considering that I could buy it and a 3 wood for the price I paid for the LS, that would be a no-brainer.

Obviously, your results may vary...

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

On 9/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, jomatty said:

Looks like the price went back up to $399.  I was thinking about getting one for my wife but I’m gonna hang on until there is another price drop.  399 is a fine price but I th8nk they have kind of changed expectations by selling them for less for so long…

I snoozed and lost on this. Should have jumped on it when it was $299...kicking myself.

Way easier to take a flier on a $299 driver than a $399 one....especially when you know you missed the sale.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

53 minutes ago, mantan said:

I snoozed and lost on this. Should have jumped on it when it was $299...kicking myself.

Way easier to take a flier on a $299 driver than a $399 one....especially when you know you missed the sale.

Still way better than a Sim2 at $599. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Very true. 

I'll just think about that $100 I coulda saved if I bought it a couple of weeks earlier.

I'm very intrigued by the buzz the PXG is getting. I like my G410 Plus. But don't love it like I did the 400 Max. And I really don't to spend $500 on the 425 Max, especially after rumored 10% price increase PING clubs are scheduled to get on Tuesday.  For $299 I absolutely woulda taken a flier on the PXG, especially with the money back guarantee.  I guess I still could probably get into it for a net $150 or so after I sold my PING.  (Golf ho rationale)

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

12 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Maybe if your fit for both and know you hit each equally.  But I know I get along with Taylor made drivers and PXG is a more of a shot in the dark.  Also, sim is more like $499 and with arguably better stock shafts.  
im not arguing that $399 is a fair price, but at that point it’s right there with the mizuno St Z, the cobras and the tour edge.  And only a little less than the big OEM’s.  Then you look at the stock shafts and it starts to look like a fair deal instead of a steal.  If you get it with a Fujikura 2.0 it’s now $499 and you can get a cobra with a Motore X (not apples to apples I know) for less than that.  If you want a tensei blue pxg has a $200 up charge and it’s stock on sim2.

At $299 I wish I would have got one though, but at 399 the shafts just make it a normally priced driver.  Fairly priced but that’s all imho.

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 1

Yesterday my Gen 4 X 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Yellow finally arrived and took it the range. First impressions of the looks. Much better than expected and the crown looks better in person than online. Love the sound and feel. I hit some nice drives and some really bad drives that were mainly lost to the right. There were a couple of low duck hooks when I attempted to over correct. The good drives are producing the mid penetrating ball flight I'm looking for. I did not make any adjustment and just wanted to get a feel for the club with the standard setup. I plan to go back soon and make some tweaks. I should have ordered the weight kit as other have recommended and will do that today. Once I get the club dialed in it will be a bomber. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

33 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

Yesterday my Gen 4 X 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Yellow finally arrived and took it the range. First impressions of the looks. Much better than expected and the crown looks better in person than online. Love the sound and feel. I hit some nice drives and some really bad drives that were mainly lost to the right. There were a couple of low duck hooks when I attempted to over correct. The good drives are producing the mid penetrating ball flight I'm looking for. I did not make any adjustment and just wanted to get a feel for the club with the standard setup. I plan to go back soon and make some tweaks. I should have ordered the weight kit as other have recommended and will do that today. Once I get the club dialed in it will be a bomber. 

My 0811 X was delivered yesterday too. Haven't had a chance to break it in yet. I got the Diamana S60+ X flex in mine. 

Cheers!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

1 minute ago, Scootre said:

My 0811 X was delivered yesterday too. Haven't had a chance to break it in yet. I got the Diamana S60+ X flex in mine. 

Cheers!

How long did it take from the time you ordered to ship?  I ordered last Wednesday.  Can’t wait to take it out!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

How long did it take from the time you ordered to ship?  I ordered last Wednesday.  Can’t wait to take it out!

On 9/1 I got an email my order was being processed. On 9/2 I got an email my order was received. On 9/5 an email it had shipped. Received 9/8 in Missouri from Arizona.

Edited by Scootre
Added ship from.
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Annnnd another question, do the 0211 weights fit in the 0811?  Thinking maybe I should have ordered the weight kit too. 

All the Proto/Gen4/0211 wood/hybrid weights are the same. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

22 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Would you recommend the partial weight kit? Which weights? Or the full woods weight kit?

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

2 hours ago, pdxhak said:

Would you recommend the partial weight kit? Which weights? Or the full woods weight kit?

After costing me so much money playing with weights I would fork out for a full weight kit. Can always sell the weights if needed once you figure out your “final” setting…. If there is such a thing. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Well said Osprey…same here I ended up with two weight kits piecing it together two at a time when I would have saved so much. This especially makes sense if yu know your going PXG head now and for future gens to come as well. 

• Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

On 9/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, OspreyCI said:

And putters......

I bought a full kit with my last putter, so it made it easy to tinker between all of the clubs. 

• Like 1

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

I got the full weight kit when I got my 10.5° 0811X+ Proto driver. I've only done some limited experimenting. So far, putting the standard 12.5g weight in the heel and the sleeve set on the PXG (3° flat) setting is giving me the most consistent center face contact and overall best results. I do hit the ball with a little fade so I want to continue experimenting and put the 15g in the heel to see what that does for me. I also want to experiment with keeping either 12.5 or 15g in the heel and add some weight to the front port since that is supposed to product the highest ball speed and thus distance. It is nice having options!

On 9/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, jomatty said:

Could be they won’t drop it again, but it seems to be their model to periodically slice prices.  I’m sure it is a fine value at 399 but it just makes me not as interested after seeing it at 299 for the last month…

Sorry I meant to say I would not be surprised if they have another sale 🙂 

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have played two rounds with the 0811X Gen 4 driver and really impressed with the number of fairways hit. The mid trajectory flight is exactly what I was looking for. Distance has been really good and find the club fairly forgiving. The driver is still in the standard setup and plan to adjust the weights to get the club further dialed in. The sound of the driver is very muted and is something I am not used but definitely like it.

• Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 9/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, mantan said:

Actually, they have an ebay store. PXG Express is the name. Gen 4 drivers ranging from $279 to $336 I believe. I just bought one for $311.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Mostly. For a mere 15% re-stocking fee people gave it a spin for up to a month, then sent them back. Little bit better than Global Golf UTryIt program IMO. 

Yes, I purchased a 0811X from the EBay store. Had to be a return and was like new. Had a senior flex shaft I did not need anyway.  Sold that shaft for a good price. Got it for a great price then did a fitting at PXG and ordered a Ventus Black. Great price thru PXG for the Ventus. What a great price for this setup. 

This thing is a straight bomber now! 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Would love to try. Ordered driver and 3 wood. PXG shipped quickly, they should have, charged me $60 standard Fed Ex. Clubs were hour and half from me last night, now they are 7 hours away with no expected delivery. Fed Ex is the worst!

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus