Nothing I do fixes my slice..please help

akronswitness

Hey all, I'm hitting a Ping G400 Max driver. Have it set lower at 9 degree because I hit everything high. I have a faster swing speed than average but I'm not swinging out of my shoes. Not sure what it is but I would guess around 110.

I replaced the lighter Alta shaft with the Hazardous Black stiff shaft. I believe it's 65g? I even bought a heavier weight for the G400 club head thinking a combination of stiff shaft + heavy weight head + lower loft would get me to hit less slices.

Nothing has worked and now I'm just frustrated. I go to the range and tinker all day long and nothing works consistently. I still sent 70%+ of my drives with either a fade or it starts right and slices hard right. Occasionally I have the Lazer straight left drive.

I took a lesson, he corrected my grip and turned my left hand over the grip, my thumbs are no longer straight down the grip. He even TD me to close my front shoulder, so now I feel like I'm curling into a ball at the address.

Still, slice/push everything and it's from my outside/inside downswing. I just can't square the clubface no matter if I have a stiff shaft/heavier club head and a rolled over grip.

Any advice?? Should I change the loft back to 10.5? Should I put the stock lighter weight back in (7g?). Should I put the Alta shaft back on? I desperately need something to help me square my clubface and not come through the ball outside/in combined with a open face. Is the heavier/stiff setup I have hurting me? I bought all of it thinking it would help and get away from the lighter "whippy" downswing that sends balls spinning off the face of the earth.

For everyone saying the G400 Max is a ' fairway finder'....not for me. I find nothing easier/better about this driver than I did my 2011 TaylorMade Rocketballz driver. I know there is some combo of shaft/head weight/ loft that would help me better keep it straight but I don't know what that is.

Edited by akronswitness

44 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Hey all, I'm hitting a Ping G400 Max driver. Have it set lower at 9 degree because I hit everything high.

Any advice??

1. Get on video with an instructor

2. Listen to their advice

3. Apply that advice

4. Profit

You are steep and over the top. At best you will pull the ball if you can square the face. Try to get the toe closed (face pointed down) before it gets to the ball at impact. Try to smother it into the ground in front of you. If you want to fix your swing, follow the steps.

20 minutes ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

1. Get on video with an instructor

2. Listen to their advice

3. Apply that advice

4. Profit

You are steep and over the top. At best you will pull the ball if you can square the face. Try to get the toe closed (face pointed down) before it gets to the ball at impact. Try to smother it into the ground in front of you. If you want to fix your swing, follow the steps.

I already got with a instructor, he changed my grip and closed my front shoulder. He also told me to back up and reach for the ball at address with my arms all the way straight. Still nothing consistent even after multiple range trips and rounds.

That's why I'm confused. Felt like I was fed a bunch of nonsense.

Is your grip pressure too strong ? Think holding a bird. You don’t want to squeeze it too tight and not too soft. 

if it’s over the top you need to work on shallowing the golf club. Right foot back chest and head pointing behind with the shoulders sloping. Left shoulder being higher 

Edited by TallGuy90

1 hour ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

You are steep and over the top.

If what OP is saying is correct and consistent, thats not necessarily true. He said his miss is a push or a push-fade. The only way the happens is an in-to-out club path with an open face. Assuming that information is accurate, my guess would be a right hand grip that is too weak or a non-perfect rotation making him come out of it and leave the clubface open. Granted he did say he sometimes pulls it, so it sounds like a massively inconsistent club path more than anything else

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Just now, rooski said:

If what OP is saying is correct and consistent, thats not necessarily true. He said his miss is a push or a push-fade. The only way the happens is an in-to-out club path with an open face. Assuming that information is accurate, my guess would be a right hand grip that is too weak or a non-perfect rotation making him come out of it and leave the clubface open.

Alternatively, OP it might just be that your ball position with the driver is too far towards the middle of your stance.

When I had a time where I did hit it straight-- I 'snapped' my wrists in my downswing to close the face over right at impact.. Problem with that is you have to snap your wrists at the perfect time. Doing that gets some lazer straight shots, but is still far from consistent.

14 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Is your grip pressure too strong ? Think holding a bird. You don’t want to squeeze it too tight and not too soft. 

if it’s over the top you need to work on shallowing the golf club. Right foot back chest and head pointing behind with the shoulders sloping. Left shoulder being higher 

The instructor showed me video of my swing. Back swing is too straight up and not at that 45 degree angle and when I come down--i come down outside to in.

I've tried everything in my power to shallow the club out. Almost rotating it around my body in the backswing. I still couldn't get anything to be straight. If anything that caused more problems with topping the ball and having no control of striking the ball in the middle of the clubface when it comes back around in your downswing.

39 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

The instructor showed me video of my swing. Back swing is too straight up and not at that 45 degree angle and when I come down--i come down outside to in.

I've tried everything in my power to shallow the club out. Almost rotating it around my body in the backswing. I still couldn't get anything to be straight. If anything that caused more problems with topping the ball and having no control of striking the ball in the middle of the clubface when it comes back around in your downswing.

Then you need training aids the help you. Look up the golf room. He uses pool noodles that will give u feed back if u get too high 

You hit a slice because of your club face to club path relationship...period. When you understand this relationship then you will end the cycle of believing that your equipment or your swing are responsible.  There is a point along your swing arc in which the club face points where you want it to so that the ball starts where you want it to and also a shoulder plane line that will create your desired ball flight of straight, draw, or fade. You just need to understand that relationship and then make sure the ball is present at that location along your swing arc.  Your plane line reference is your shoulder line at impact and the path in reference to where along the swing arc the ball is struck...prior to low point is and in to out swing path (iron shots)....post low point is an out to in swing path (driver shots) and any given swing has both present.   

Here is a video that is the solution to your woes as it is the foundation of golf along with the ball flight laws: 

10 hours ago, akronswitness said:

A good instructor should do more than just tell you what's wrong, they should help you find the "feels" to correct the problem or drills that work for you to help you fix the problem.  Different players need different stimulus to make a change in the swing.  A good instructor needs to be able to adapt to the needs of the student.

Make sure your expectations are realistic.   It can take a lot of time and effort to make the change.  It's not something that's going to happen over the course of a few swings or even several buckets of balls.   It might take months or longer.

You also should be using video yourself to monitor your changes - to see if what you are doing is actually accomplishing what you want it to.  What you feel changing isn't always a real or accurate representation of what really is happening.  "Feel isn't always real".

Finally, swing changes are hardest to implement with the driver.   You should be working on changes with the irons first.  It's also harder at full speed.  So slowing things down (as a form of a drill) can sometimes help.  Do 3-4 swings as slow as you can (try hitting the 7i only 100 yards or less), working on the feels, verifying the move w/ video, then follow that up with one at full speed.  Keep repeating until it becomes more ingrained.

Finally, if you want a second opinion - you can always post videos over in the instruction forum.   Now it is a public forum so you not everyone who responds actually knows what they are talking about.  But there are some good people over there.  You just have to know who to listen to and who to ignore.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I already got with a instructor, he changed my grip and closed my front shoulder. He also told me to back up and reach for the ball at address with my arms all the way straight. Still nothing consistent even after multiple range trips and rounds.

You have been making your previous swing motion your entire life. Ever consider it may take more than 1 lesson or a few times at the range for something to change? Give it 6 months to a year and then check back with us.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie

12 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Post a video of your swing. I feel you on the frustration, but sometimes it's getting the right feel for you more than anything else.  Everyone else is going to tell you what they think the feel is, but it has to make sense for you.  e.g. take normal stance than try and step back your right foot straight back all the way behind your left, like your right foot toes are behind your left heel and take a swing, would it still slice?  Im curious what you've tried on the range that is not working.

irons-Rogue ST pro 4-G, Nippon 130x

driver-Rogue ST Max LS, Fuji F1 X

wedges-Cleveland OG

putter - SC Phantom x8

the outside in swing needs to be corrected......take the club straight back....not outside... when you initialy take the club back, you go way outside which pulls your left elbow out and away from your body. Then you are forced to use a ton of wrist action to get the club back on path...so in essence, your swing is out of control within the first second and has to correct itself all through the delivery....you come across the ball creating wicked side spin resulting in your slice. If you do a frame by frame on the takeaway, you can clearly see how you make the club go way outside as opposed to straight back and a natural turn around the body......The follow through is nice 

Edited by tsecor

19 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Nothing fixed your slice because your swing is a huge slice machine. Just because you feel like your doing the advice from the instructor doesnt mean you're actually doing it.

In my swing, I need to mentally give myself really stupid feels to actually do what I need to do and most times they are the OPPOSITE of what my body physically does.

You are still way over the top and probably with an open face.

Instructor: do a neutral swing path

My body: over the top

My brain: ok, actually do an exaggerated over the top swing

My body again: oh look, a neutral swing

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

18 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the outside in swing needs to be corrected......take the club straight back....not outside... when you initialy take the club back, you go way outside which pulls your left elbow out and away from your body. Then you are forced to use a ton of wrist action to get the club back on path...so in essence, your swing is out of control within the first second and has to correct itself all through the delivery....you come across the ball creating wicked side spin resulting in your slice. If you do a frame by frame on the takeaway, you can clearly see how you make the club go way outside as opposed to straight back and a natural turn around the body......The follow through is nice 

That's the weird part, I feel like I'm slowly taking the club head straight back. I even follow the club head with my eyes for a split second on my takeaway to almost guide it straight back.

Then I see a video of myself and it's like holy s*** that is over the top.

Should I keep my wrists shallow and inside? Maybe shorten the backswing? I just physically don't know how to get a more neutral swing path because my muscle memory takes over and/or I can't see myself swinging so I don't know if I'm doing it correctly 

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, akronswitness said:

That's the weird part, I feel like I'm slowly taking the club head straight back. I even follow the club head with my eyes for a split second on my takeaway to almost guide it straight back.

Should I keep my wrists shallow and inside? Maybe shorten the backswing? I just physically don't know how to get a more neutral swing path because my muscle memory takes over and/or I can't see myself swinging so I don't know if I'm doing it correctly 

im not a pro and I do not teach golf. lets start there. 

a drill you can try is to pin your right elbow to you side, keep your left are a little straighter (keep it from becoming a chicken wing) and let your wrists break naturally after the take away....other than that, see your instructor for tips.....golf is the hardest sport on the planet so take this drill with a grain of salt....what works for me may not work for you

as we all know, its incredibly tough to be a really good player and it seems every guy who shoots 80-110 has advice for others.....its crazy....

i just slowed down the video and noticed your path was off.....by no means am i a swing guru

11 minutes ago, tsecor said:

im not a pro and I do not teach golf. lets start there. 

a drill you can try is to pin your right elbow to you side, keep your left are a little straighter (keep it from becoming a chicken wing) and let your wrists break naturally after the take away....other than that, see your instructor for tips.....golf is the hardest sport on the planet so take this drill with a grain of salt....what works for me may not work for you

as we all know, its incredibly tough to be a really good player and it seems every guy who shoots 80-110 has advice for others.....its crazy....

i just slowed down the video and noticed your path was off.....by no means am i a swing guru

Right on, Im headed to the range soon. I'm going to try to exaggerate bringing the club back/inside with my left arm leading-- and keeping the right arm along for the ride with elbow in.

Right now I have too much baseball in my swing. I do a lot of controlling of the club with my dominant right arm--which is where the chicken wing comes from. I think I need to reverse that.

And maybe change the loft of my driver to 10.5 because apparently that helps close the face.

Edited by akronswitness

1 minute ago, akronswitness said:

Right on, Im headed to the range soon. I'm going to try to exaggerate bringing the club back/inside with my left arm leading-- and keeping the right arm along for the ride with elbow in.

Right now I have too much baseball in my swing. I do a lot of controlling of the club with my dominant right arm--which is where the chicken wing comes from. I think I need to reverse that.

And maybe change the loft of my driver to 10.5 because apparently that helps close the face.

my philosophy is to make sure my swing path is correct.......equipment changes come after because regardless of loft, coming across the ball will result in slices and missed fairways. 

good luck. 

5 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Be careful taking swing advice from strangers on the internet. As one of those strangers - here is my advice:

- You cannot build a good golf swing by assembling a random assortment of tips and fixes from different users. The net result could be a Franken-swing where the parts and pieces don't fit.

- You cannot build a good golf swing overnight. Every OTT swing you've ever made has been essentially ingraining this motion.

- You cannot fix everything at once. It might take 3-5 range sessions to ingrain a single change in your golf swing. I know my golf swing ADHD has taken over at the range, and after 100 balls I accomplished absolutely nothing.

- You CAN find an instructor or method and spend days, months, years incorporating the concept. Whoever created the method has had success working with many players and students, and the system is comprehensive - stick to the plan and every day you will be 1 step closer.

- Equipment can mitigate tendencies, but is not a corrective measure. I'd recommend building the swing you want to have first, then get fitted second.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Your posting in the wrong forum.  There's no equipment that will cure a slice.  You adjust your equipment to fine tune things, not resolve swing issues.   Work on the swing with an instructor, it's generally not an overnight process.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy