OK, Let's talk Bryson From First-Hand Experience.

Soloman1

46 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Oh no, not another Bryson thread!? Yes, another Bryson thread.

But this one's a little different. I want to talk from first-hand experience with him and not third, forth, or no-hand experiences or random feelings that I do or don't  like the guy because of (fill in the blank).

Quick background: He was an earlier adopter of my 3D motion system because it was portable and gives objective data, not myths of feelings about the swing. Why guess, when you can measure tilts, rotations, body angles, wrist angles, swing planes, etc.?

Bryson had won one tournament and was struggling a little the beginning of his second year on tour. Plenty of tour pros used it in the office or around country - lot's of names that you'd know and others you may not know. They all get the same time and energy.

I was asked to go to Dallas to spend a couple of days with Bryson in the summer. I had just gotten back from an extended trip to Asia and was worn out. My wife had died 6 weeks before, I had to empty a house full of memories in Tokyo where we lived for decades. Bryson and others didn't know this, so it had no influence on how he treated me.

- First of all, Bryson was unfailingly polite. Some of you may be disappointed by that... 😉 He was polite the several other times we met at tournament sites. The golf course is his world, like all professionals, so on course and off course can be very different. You may not be the same person in your work environment either.

- Is he driven? Of course, as all tour pros are, but I would say more than the average pro. He had spent time playing some practice rounds with Tiger, the ultimate driven professional, so he knew first hand what being driven looks and sounds like from the best in the world. There are plenty of guys (and women pros) who can be unpleasant to be around because their ego, but Bryson wasn't anywhere near some of the them. Now, on the other hand, I'll tell you who is really a.... Just kidding. I'm mot going to tell.

- In most all cases, the player doesn't want to know, or need to know, the gory details of the mechanics that's being looked at carefully. Their coach will translate it into a feel and a few words that the player needs to hear, based on their experience with the player. Bryson wants the details and drives the ship.

- OK, so Bryson started being interested in wrist movements. He was hitting irons on the range and not very well. He was frustrated and had been that way for half of the year. He couldn't cure the lefts he had, and that is trouble city. I have to give him credit, he listened to what I said after only 2 minutes after I showed up. He had been there for hours. I moved one part of his body and that one thought for him. The next ball and the rest after were perfect, and he was like a kid with a grin who just hit a ball flush for the first time. He just needed to hear a different voice and I give  him credit for listening.

One of my favorite ideas in engineering, business and golf is that you can't hear a good idea if you aren't listening.

- The next day was raining, so we were indoors. He was still asking a lot about wrist angles and he was working on driver and woods. Now, this was before bulking up and speed-distance quest. Even early on tour, Bryson was one of the longest guys out there and that is a fact. He had a "Fairway Finder" driver swing that he used a lot. His distance stats were affected by that, but trust me, he could flat bomb it even then when he chose to. Of course, today is a different beast. He's just trying to find the way for him to be as good as he can be.

- Here's his "Fairway Finder" swing back then. His swing is very different today in many ways.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/594939223

- He was getting frustrated again because his launch monitor numbers for his 3-wood didn't match the ball flight. He was +4 path and -2 face to path, but the ball was starting a little right and dropping right from the top instead of a little push draw. Well, he decided that the balls were wet because they were brought in from the range and this was the cause of his angst and shot shape going awry.

Again, I have to give him credit. He did listen, but he didn't believe me.

The reason was obvious, but I had to prove it. He had to be hitting it a little on the heel, but he wasn't having any of that. We put a sticker on the face, and sure enough, there it was. Now he accepted it. But I told him that I didn't think it was good idea to change anything in his setup or make him try to manipulate the swing until I saw what his pressure trace from my other product.

He resisted again, but got him to do it and Voila, he had move that was a little too much toward his toward his toes in near impact. I asked him not change anything, but try to make more of a lateral move with pressure.

His next ball was not only that little push draw on target, he gained 20 yards (yes, 20 yards...) of carry. Boom, mic drop. I was done. 🙂 I'm kidding.

He's an athlete. Sure, he works hard and is intense when things don't go perfectly. Is that a fault? It can be if you start to think you know everything and you did it all by yourself.

He won The Memorial two weeks later. He won three tournaments within three months.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I think it was ungracious to not reply to my simple text of congratulations after The Memorial. Maybe the politeness only applies in person? I think a better man would have said thanks, that maybe I'd helped him a little, since he'd been hitting it poorly for six months, but I've never heard a word from him.

Don't worry, I don't need counseling... haha. I'm old fashioned, so I still think expressing a little gratitude is something people of substance do. He didn't figure it out all by himself and everything going wrong is not always something else or someone else.

I just thought I'd give a first person account of my short experience.

msb_sm.jpeg

Cool story. Thank you for sharing. Curious, it seems overall you had a very pleasant experience with Bryson. That said, based on a lot of your post regarding him, is it safe to say you don’t have a lot of respect for his uh, “science mind”?

He was 100% positive, interactive, and friendly on pro-am day. No cameras or media around at all. Just being genuine, friendly, and patient with everyone. He did more with fans than any other player i saw, and I was out there 8+ hours arms length from the players inside the ropes.

A lot of players I expected to be friendly and engaging were not.

Just my .02 from first hand experience.

Edited by GoTime
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Oh no, not another Bryson thread!? Yes, another Bryson thread.

But this one's a little different. I want to talk from first-hand experience with him and not third, forth, or no-hand experiences or random feelings that I do or don't  like the guy because of (fill in the blank).

Quick background: He was an earlier adopter of my 3D motion system because it was portable and gives objective data, not myths of feelings about the swing. Why guess, when you can measure tilts, rotations, body angles, wrist angles, swing planes, etc.?

Bryson had won one tournament and was struggling a little the beginning of his second year on tour. Plenty of tour pros used it in the office or around country - lot's of names that you'd know and others you may not know. They all get the same time and energy.

I was asked to go to Dallas to spend a couple of days with Bryson in the summer. I had just gotten back from an extended trip to Asia and was worn out. My wife had died 6 weeks before, I had to empty a house full of memories in Tokyo where we lived for decades. Bryson and others didn't know this, so it had no influence on how he treated me.

- First of all, Bryson was unfailingly polite. Some of you may be disappointed by that... 😉 He was polite the several other times we met at tournament sites. The golf course is his world, like all professionals, so on course and off course can be very different. You may not be the same person in your work environment either.

- Is he driven? Of course, as all tour pros are, but I would say more than the average pro. He had spent time playing some practice rounds with Tiger, the ultimate driven professional, so he knew first hand what being driven looks and sounds like from the best in the world. There are plenty of guys (and women pros) who can be unpleasant to be around because their ego, but Bryson wasn't anywhere near some of the them. Now, on the other hand, I'll tell you who is really a.... Just kidding. I'm mot going to tell.

- In most all cases, the player doesn't want to know, or need to know, the gory details of the mechanics that's being looked at carefully. Their coach will translate it into a feel and a few words that the player needs to hear, based on their experience with the player. Bryson wants the details and drives the ship.

- OK, so Bryson started being interested in wrist movements. He was hitting irons on the range and not very well. He was frustrated and had been that way for half of the year. He couldn't cure the lefts he had, and that is trouble city. I have to give him credit, he listened to what I said after only 2 minutes after I showed up. He had been there for hours. I moved one part of his body and that one thought for him. The next ball and the rest after were perfect, and he was like a kid with a grin who just hit a ball flush for the first time. He just needed to hear a different voice and I give  him credit for listening.

One of my favorite ideas in engineering, business and golf is that you can't hear a good idea if you aren't listening.

- The next day was raining, so we were indoors. He was still asking a lot about wrist angles and he was working on driver and woods. Now, this was before bulking up and speed-distance quest. Even early on tour, Bryson was one of the longest guys out there and that is a fact. He had a "Fairway Finder" driver swing that he used a lot. His distance stats were affected by that, but trust me, he could flat bomb it even then when he chose to. Of course, today is a different beast. He's just trying to find the way for him to be as good as he can be.

- Here's his "Fairway Finder" swing back then. His swing is very different today in many ways.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/594939223

- He was getting frustrated again because his launch monitor numbers for his 3-wood didn't match the ball flight. He was +4 path and -2 face to path, but the ball was starting a little right and dropping right from the top instead of a little push draw. Well, he decided that the balls were wet because they were brought in from the range and this was the cause of his angst and shot shape going awry.

Again, I have to give him credit. He did listen, but he didn't believe me.

The reason was obvious, but I had to prove it. He had to be hitting it a little on the heel, but he wasn't having any of that. We put a sticker on the face, and sure enough, there it was. Now he accepted it. But I told him that I didn't think it was good idea to change anything in his setup or make him try to manipulate the swing until I saw what his pressure trace from my other product.

He resisted again, but got him to do it and Voila, he had move that was a little too much toward his toward his toes in near impact. I asked him not change anything, but try to make more of a lateral move with pressure.

His next ball was not only that little push draw on target, he gained 20 yards (yes, 20 yards...) of carry. Boom, mic drop. I was done. 🙂 I'm kidding.

He's an athlete. Sure, he works hard and is intense when things don't go perfectly. Is that a fault? It can be if you start to think you know everything and you did it all by yourself.

He won The Memorial two weeks later. He won three tournaments within three months.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I think it was ungracious to not reply to my simple text of congratulations after The Memorial. Maybe the politeness only applies in person? I think a better man would have said thanks, that maybe I'd helped him a little, since he'd been hitting it poorly for six months, but I've never heard a word from him.

Don't worry, I don't need counseling... haha. I'm old fashioned, so I still think expressing a little gratitude is something people of substance do. He didn't figure it out all by himself and everything going wrong is not always something else or someone else.

I just thought I'd give a first person account of my short experience.

msb_sm.jpeg

Thanks for positing that.  Real experience is always worth more than things we glean from the media.  Very good read.  

impressed that he’s not easily swayed by words.  “ show me “ is a good mantra.  If it’s worth knowing or seeing. Then prove it. Make me believe.    I like that. And I like that you had no issue obliging that requirement.  Some teachers require blind faith , as if they’re a divine entity.    Some give and take is required in m mind. Respect to you for playing that game.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Cool story. Thank you for sharing. Curious, it seems overall you had a very pleasant experience with Bryson. That said, based on a lot of your post regarding him, is it safe to say you don’t have a lot of respect for his uh, “science mind”?

Some people are adept at memorizing words or equations. Others are adept at more adept at problem solving. I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but perhaps he has some kind of inferiority complex and needs to show that he knows everything or at least more than you do. He's not alone. There are a lot of people who are the same way.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Thank you for the story. I guess I'm weird in that I don't really have an opinion on him. I really liked hearing about how polite he was and how he was willing to take input from others. I think it would have been nice of him to send a response after he won the memorial, but his phone could very well have been blowing up after it. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Great read.

So this is 2nd hand, I chatted with a Callaway rep who hung out with him early days. This convo is  two years ago. He said he was a totally great and gracious guy. Enjoyed beers with boys, had a good time and was fun to hang with. 

I'm not a fan, happy Cantlay threw down and beat him but he's somewhere in between the extremes of genius or an insufferable tool. Dude needs to grow up a bit and STFU about ''physics'' and just win. Folks despise Koepka but the dude wins the big ones. We all love winners, winning redeems.

First of all his media boycott started after he bashed Cobra in the press, so it’s hard to blame the media when he kinda started it.

His quest for knowledge or analytics makes perfect sense, does he take if further than most yes, but in a sport where inches and feet can be huge, it makes sense.  

Never having any interaction with him I can’t say if he is a good guy or not, but as I have mentioned in other Bryson threads, there just something that makes me not root for him, a lot he brings on himself.

Soloman1, great write up, and it seems you did help him, but agree he could have responded with a simple thank you, only takes 15 seconds.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

4 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Great read.

So this is 2nd hand, I chatted with a Callaway rep who hung out with him early days. This convo is  two years ago. He said he was a totally great and gracious guy. Enjoyed beers with the boys, had a good time and was fun to hang with. 

I'm not a fan, happy Cantlay threw down and beat him but he's somewhere in between the extremes of genius or an insufferable tool. Dude needs to grow up a bit and STFU about ''physics'' and just win. Folks despise Koepka but the dude wins the big ones. We all love winners, winning redeems.

Definitely an old story. Someone here yesterday told a 3rd hand story that Bryson is a chocolate milk guy at bars now. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Definitely an old story. Someone here yesterday told a 3rd hand story that Bryson is a chocolate milk guy at bars now. 

It was 2 years ago on the conversation, it was prior to US Open win and his interaction was prior to that by how much I don't remember but the kid was an aspiring industry type. He could ball, had a good swing, nice kid.

4 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

It was 2 years ago on the conversation, it was prior to US Open win and his interaction was prior to that by how much I don't remember but the kid was an aspiring industry type. He could ball, had a good swing, nice kid.

My response to your post was just silly as I found the chocolate milk at a bar story funny. Based on Bryson’s social media content, it does appear as though he enjoys “broing out” with the boys. At least in the gym. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Very cool story, thank you for sharing and sorry for the loss you were grieving at the time. 

Most people aren't just ONE person in all contexts, I think that is important consider when finding middle ground in these discussions. We all have a spectrum of ideas and behaviors based on the context, it is just a matter of how wide/deep that spectrum is. It doesn't surprise me at all that a guy like Bryson would be gracious and personable in personal and business situations, especially when the company in this case has proven to be an asset. It doesn't surprise me because passionate and insecure people are often kind, but it is when their ego gets tested that the other stuff comes out. Bryson is clearly someone obsessively driven based on what he has done and continues to do, but his skin isn't equally thick to match that yet. Thankfully the growing up part is a more natural process, and if the off the course guy is by default pleasant and kind then that is where he'll hopefully settle as he matures. 

A very thoughtful post.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

There's a line between mindless chatter on internet forums about who BDC really is (and countless other subjects) and reality.  A very clear line.

The former is at best entertainment because when you are not playing golf, it quickly gets boring so you have to make sh*t up to keep the attention.  

The latter no one here knows.

But make no mistake, when it comes to opining on who BDC is, we are all full of it.  It keeps the threads going, but keep it in perspective, none of us have even the slightest of what makes BDC tick.

Do I fault him for not being more gracious in defeat? Yes.

Does it matter? No.

Do I want him to win all his matches at RC? Yes.

Do I want him to win next year's Masters? No.

Does that matter? No.

I still think that chip on 17 in regulation was pretty bad.  And I know he does too.  The question is, who got over it faster?  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Very cool story, thank you for sharing and sorry for the loss you were grieving at the time. 

Most people aren't just ONE person in all contexts, I think that is important consider when finding middle ground in these discussions. We all have a spectrum of ideas and behaviors based on the context, it is just a matter of how wide/deep that spectrum is. It doesn't surprise me at all that a guy like Bryson would be gracious and personable in personal and business situations, especially when the company in this case has proven to be an asset. It doesn't surprise me because passionate and insecure people are often kind, but it is when their ego gets tested that the other stuff comes out. Bryson is clearly someone obsessively driven based on what he has done and continues to do, but his skin isn't equally thick to match that yet. Thankfully the growing up part is a more natural process, and if the off the course guy is by default pleasant and kind then that is where he'll hopefully settle as he matures. 

very insightful nice to see on here

• Thanks 1

Good story and well written. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of text back. I have some close friends who can't respond to a text to save their lives. I don't understand it but I don't think it's malicious.

Maybe he'll get back to you later. Either way you got a cool experience, right?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

I saw Bryson at the 2019 3M Open, and he was ok. Thought he was a little crazy with all his pre-shot antics and seemed a little awkward, wasn't a huge fan but in all honesty he was ok. But this was skinny Bryson before his feud with Brooks. That seems like a million years ago.

His feud with Brookes started conveniently after the move the needle bonus the PGA announced. I highly doubt is anything but Brookes really wished he played a team sport perhaps he’s trying to get into that top 4 sport atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, capking said:

His feud with Brookes started conveniently after the move the needle bonus the PGA announced. I highly doubt is anything but Brookes really wished he played a team sport perhaps he’s trying to get into that top 4 sport atmosphere.

Makes sense. Wouldn't surprise me if the 2 of them were in on it together.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foreplease said:

Just now after reading a GolfChannel.com article and something on Golf.com about how they believe Bryson has a "responsibility" to talk to the media, but doesn't, and that the media is "the proxy" for the fans, I am now fully in the Bryson-for-Tour-Championship camp. I would find it so satisfying for him to double-down, be even more 'Bryson' than he's ever been, and bulldoze the field this week..... and then send a big f-u to these media Karens by heading straight home.

Look, Bryson has to have so much stupid pressure on him, and the media now kicking and screaming like a spoiled child when they don't get what they want and throwing countless negative articles his way.... it has to motivate him. And I at least would love to see him triumph... big time...this week and just sit back and laugh. 

Go for it Bryson, screw 'em!

No.

The Cam Newton model is never a good one.

Edited by pktaske

Bryson and I share the same hometown. I've never interacted with him but did see him on the course a few times when he was only working with Mike Schy. On the other hand I have run into Bryson's dad at of all places, the local goat track. He could be playing his golf at the top country clubs in our area but he chooses to stick to his roots. He is one of the friendliest people I've met on the course and seems very genuine. I've seen him around exchanging pleasantries with all who come out. It has really left an impression on me as I strive to be a nicer/better person. I have to imagine that Bryson shares at least some of the personality traits of his father.

• Like 4

I understand the negative feelings that people have towards him from watching on TV. I felt the same way before I met him.

I can't get into details, but as I have said before, he is the nicest professional golfer I have ever met. I'm an introvert, he is definitely an extrovert. But he goes way out of his way to show his appreciation for the people who are involved in his success. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TexasTurf said:

I understand the negative feelings that people have towards him from watching on TV. I felt the same way before I met him.

I can't get into details, but as I have said before, he is the nicest professional golfer I have ever met. I'm an introvert, he is definitely an extrovert. But he goes way out of his way to show his appreciation for the people who are involved in his success. 

Let me guess… You installed artificial turf for him??? 😁

• Haha 2