Jaws Full Toe, anyone else disappointed?

BC33

What turned me off was the stock shaft which is too light for most of my wedges. For my 58* however, I do like it light but I already play the CBs. 

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

13 hours ago, sshadow2 said:

What turned me off was the stock shaft which is too light for most of my wedges. For my 58* however, I do like it light but I already play the CBs. 

Spinner 115g fits nicely in my bag as I play MMT 95 shafts in my irons 5-GW and my SW.

Put a ProSoft insert in the Spinner and feels great.

Full Toe fit in the bag well for its first round this past weekend.  Definitely some extra spin in the FT as compared to my MD5 Jaws.

1st round for me with the 58 today and I think it is fantastic, drop and stop and easy to hit from most any lie. Tried several different shots (high floater, low spinner, off the toe from just off the green to run out) and they all came off better than expected. Darn near holed two of them and the others were kick in distance.  It was so good the MD5 52 is in danger now of being replaced.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

The 58 is like cheating around the greens, the only thing I have had a slight problem with is it spinning so much. But that should work itself out with a few more rounds.

SLED # 1  35.5

After replacing the stock shaft, grip and lie angle adjusted, I took it out for the 60 degree full toe for its first round yesterday.  I really like the look of it down at address, the leading edge is more straight and the lines blends well from the hosel down.  I also really like how it looks when its open a bit, gives you a lot of confidence on clipping it even on tight lies.  One thing I'm still getting used to is the sound/feel.  Coming from an SM8 Vokey, short chips feel more harsh, and longer wedge shots feel more muted.  If comparing to my Miura wedges, the feel is definitely a minus.  However, if it gives me confidence over the ball, and keeps performing, it's a good enough product for me.  

DRIVER: CALLAWAY ST ROGUE TRIPLE DIAMOND S 9.0

3-WOOD: PING G425 MAX 15.0

HYBRID: TITLEIST TS2 3H 19.0

IRONS: MIURA CB-1008 4-P

WEDGES: MIURA TOUR SERIES 52; MIURA K-GRIND 56; CALLAWAY JAWS FULL TOE 60

PUTTER: TAYLORMADE SPIDER X

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, marker2037 said:

D2F35F04-B355-4E7F-AA56-380A0D075BB0.jpeg.2d0e3af0130a7800600ac89de3125bb9.jpeg

Loving my 60 so far. 54 is en route finally. 

I'm considering going 54/60 in these. My set gap wedge is 48 and it's about the only set up I haven't tried. I have learned that I pretty much need mid bounce wedges with some heel releif without soles that are too wide or too thin. Basically exactly a middle of to rode offering. Interested to hear how the 54 plays.

• Like 1

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I’m hardly disappointed in these wedges, more very impressed with them. I’m a longtime Cleveland wedge guy and most recently used RTX4 wedges for a few years. I also tried a zip core full face 58 for a bit. On a whim and because I loved the look I purchased the Jaws full in 58 and 54. Shafted them up with MMT 125 shafts and have been very happy with them so far. They feel very solid and great feedback. The sole has ample bounce but great heel relief with a bit more toe bounce than many c type grinds which I prefer. Works great on full shots and square face pitch shots, which personally I feel many full face wedges lack. Many I’ve tried are great for open face flops and not much else. These are very versatile and I’m looking forward to using them more and putting them through the paces on every type of shot. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Just placed the order for the 54* says 6-8 weeks, oh well the heat is finally starting to let off and in 6-8 weeks we will be in prime golfing weather. Of course I fear the snow bird invasion is going to be especially bad this year but that is just part of living in Florida. 

SLED # 1  35.5

image.png.17a6f617dc9b6f6487681c040d6fbfa2.pngBear with me, we'll get to Jaws Full Toe.

I just switched to Mav Max irons 5-PW in Catalyst 65 shafts. Hit on range last week, played first round today.

For wedges, I'm trying to extend the life of MD3 48* and 54*, and MD4 54* and 58* (taper tips). For shafts I was hunting for Catalyst 80 6.0 (85 grams). I ordered three for the wedges listed in WITB. Was able to find them in a components shop in Fresno; ordered three 9i shafts to soften launch a bit.

I had discussed a factory rebuild with Callaway, but they said they didn't have any Catalyst 80 shafts, and the redo would take at least five weeks.

Dropped on my SW andone Catalyst 80 for first reshaft. Along the way I noticed the the Calla  JFT wedges with a gray (proprietary) Calalyst Wedge shaft. I looked on the Callaway web site, and they were very cryptic about the specs on the Catalyst Wedge Flex shaft.

PROJECT X CATALYST WEDGE

MANUFACTURER FLEX TORQUE KICKPOINT
TRUE TEMPER WEDGE MID LOW-MID

Anybody know the weight and tip (assume taper) of this shaft? Has anyone hit it in the JFT wedges?

Does a LOW-MID kickpoint on a wedge shaft risk ballooning the ball?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 9/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, jomatty said:

I haven’t hit the jaws, but it looks much more playable to me.  The PM grind was just to awkward to work for anything except for green side stuff for me.

I got a second-wave MD.PM 60*/10 wedge with the U-grind. Yes, it was great for greenside, but anything more than a half swing was hard to control.

I then found an MD4 58*/8 C-grind at a regional Thanksgiving golf sale a couple of years ago. It knocked the MD.PM out of the bag after a 20-minute tryout.

As for OP, unless you're a natural golfer it normally takes practice and on-course work to get the feel of a new wedge. This is especially true when you're shifting grinds.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

New 54* vs 3 week old 60*

The 54 was so money on the range yesterday. I absolutely love it and it complements 60* perfectly. I’m coming from a 52,56,60 setup where the 52 got virtually no looks as I just never got comfortable with it and it had no purpose for me. The 54* feels like magic compared and the 6* gapping and soon to be 5* down to the 49* Apex Pro 21 AW seems like the best, most versatile combo for me. 

2E1AB48F-B8D2-4E3B-B1F4-EDFCB77D2458.jpeg.1a1c7f9a6b44e6167df64b66fdbd992a.jpeg

• Like 3

Have a 58* on order. Excited to give it a try as I used to play the TM Hi-Toe in my 58* some time ago

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, marker2037 said:

The 54 was so money on the range yesterday. I absolutely love it and it complements 60* perfectly. I’m coming from a 52,56,60 setup where the 52 got virtually no looks as I just never got comfortable with it and it had no purpose for me. The 54* feels like magic compared and the 6* gapping and soon to be 5* down to the 49* Apex Pro 21 AW seems like the best, most versatile combo for me. 

The raw face on these will serve many people well, when they start explaining to their significant other why they need new wedges.

Excellent photo, thank you. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

6 hours ago, getair23 said:

How's the 54* on full shots?

I love mine on full shots, and honestly I don’t really chip with anything but my 58*. The ball flight off the 54 is very consistent height wise. It’s very predictable and the distance control is great because of that. I feel I can be very aggressive as the sole is very forgiving. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

1 hour ago, mogc60 said:

I love mine on full shots, and honestly I don’t really chip with anything but my 58*. The ball flight off the 54 is very consistent height wise. It’s very predictable and the distance control is great because of that. I feel I can be very aggressive as the sole is very forgiving. 

Agreed! I find it to be longer than my Vokey SM6 V-grind loft-for-loft. 

• 1 month later...

I am not disappointed with my Full Toe 58*.  Coming from a CBX full face and PM Grind (original) before that.  Shape is a bit uglier than the CBX to my eye (triangular vs the more rounded CBX), but this thing performs. 

I have more confidence with this club on full and 3/4 shots from fairways, in particular.  Flopping and bunker action is solid and face is large enough I think.  If you want a smaller less heavy PM, I recommend this club.

I did replace the stock shaft, which wasn't working great for me for some reason.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

Put the 54 in play today and it is very good, used it on some full shots and spins like crazy. Longer chips around the green came off very good. Waiting on a Catalyst 100 wedge shaft to match everything up, but it is fine with the Xcalibur RT wedge shaft for now.

SLED # 1  35.5

• 3 months later...

I’m really surprised these aren’t getting more love. I am really really impressed with my 56 and 60 full toe. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I need one with an X grind. The C grind just doesn't work for me

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

7 hours ago, minhjn said:

I need one with an X grind. The C grind just doesn't work for me

Really? I’m coming from X Grind and didn’t notice much of a difference. This C grind has more bounce than previous generations. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

11 hours ago, mackepa said:

Really? I’m coming from X Grind and didn’t notice much of a difference. This C grind has more bounce than previous generations. 

Yea, I was chunking a lot of chips with it. Switched back to my X grind and everything was good again

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I'm probably a rarity.

I'm a solid 9 handicap.  And I've always had a decent short game (not great, but decent)

Got fitted for the Jaws Full Toe wedges this past Nov (52*, 56*, 60*) while upgrading my entire bag.

Played Mizuno S18's for the last 3 years.

I have a local simulator where I get a lot of time in (I live in Upstate NY, so golf season ends around Nov) 

In early Jan I started to suffer from a bad case of the sh*nks (chips and pitches only, no full swing issues)

It got in my head and I started to lose confidence in the clubs (although no doubt some of the issues are mechanical - which I'm working on - but still, I'd never suffered from the sh*nks like this....) 

The Jaws Wedges were originally built with 80g graphite shafts and a D4 swing weight (my irons are also a D4 swing weight)

I thought maybe swing weight was an issue, so I added some weight bringing them up to D8.

That helped a bit, but there were still issues, at least enough to stay in my head.

Then I realized I've always played with overall heavier steel shafts in my wedges.

So given my lack of confidence, I decided to order the most forgiving set of wedges I could find and see what happens.

After a bunch of research I decided on the Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges - and ordered them with the KBS Hi Rev 2.0 105 Steel shaft.

And since I've always played my wedges pretty straight forward, I thought they might be a good fit.

Played with them yesterday and hit them great.  I didn't have a single sh*nk, either in practice or through 2 full rounds (hundreds of shots).

I think the combination of an overall heavier club weight, and the larger more forgiving faces of the CB's were what I needed.

It felt nice to be super confident over my chips and pitches again.

So the CB's it is!

Will probably look to sell my Full Toes on ebay.

Edited by BigEx44

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, marker2037 said:

I have very similar setup arriving next week! 51 degree Apex Pro 21 AW and 55+59 Full Toe all with PX 6.5.