Brooks Koepka on Tiger, “I’m going to catch him on majors”

bscinstnct

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

So it’s definitely possible for these world class athletes to “turn it on and off”.

I don't buy this in either this specific context or in the context of Brooks just turning it on in majors.

Obviously, I'm not of the same talent or work level of these guys but when I do literally anything, I want to win. Whether I'm playing a video game with my 15 y/o step daughter or a cash game at the club or, hell, a car next to me at a stop line and I wanna get off the line faster - I want to win. And I always believe I *CAN* win. Doesn't matter what it is or who the opponent is. 

When I played Carnoustie in 2019, I remember stepping on 11 tee and recalling that's where Tiger really lost the Open in 2018 with that unfortunate double. That was absolutely on my mind when I teed off, split the fairway and stuck my approach to 10 feet and made par. The first thought that came to mind when I tapped in was "I beat Tiger on this hole." 

I do indeed believe if you have that drive where winning is what matters, you CAN'T turn it off. That's just how you are, regardless of the competition; real or perceived. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

40 minutes ago, aenemated said:

I don't buy this in either this specific context or in the context of Brooks just turning it on in majors.

Obviously, I'm not of the same talent or work level of these guys but when I do literally anything, I want to win. Whether I'm playing a video game with my 15 y/o step daughter or a cash game at the club or, hell, a car next to me at a stop line and I wanna get off the line faster - I want to win. And I always believe I *CAN* win. Doesn't matter what it is or who the opponent is. 

When I played Carnoustie in 2019, I remember stepping on 11 tee and recalling that's where Tiger really lost the Open in 2018 with that unfortunate double. That was absolutely on my mind when I teed off, split the fairway and stuck my approach to 10 feet and made par. The first thought that came to mind when I tapped in was "I beat Tiger on this hole." 

I do indeed believe if you have that drive where winning is what matters, you CAN'T turn it off. That's just how you are, regardless of the competition; real or perceived. 

I understand what you are saying. I know for myself I feel like I can turn it on and off. If it’s something I don’t care about, like video games, I honestly don’t care if I win or not. I don’t put in a lot of effort. If it’s something I care/am passionate about, I definitely do want to win and will give more effort.

So what do you believe contributes to the big discrepancy in reg season vs. playoff hockey for instance? I’m no hockey expert, but there is most definitely a huge difference in speed/effort in the playoffs. 

*congrats on beating Tiger btw! 😉 haha

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Sorry, Mr. Spock.

Lost me on the reference.  Do you mean I'm logical and the slam job on Cabrera isn't logical?

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

35 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Lost me on the reference.  Do you mean I'm logical and the slam job on Cabrera isn't logical?

I mean that I was joking and that the joke was lost on you.  Similar to how jokes were lost on Spock on Star Trek.  Personally, I could not care less one way or another about Cabrera.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

7 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

I mean that I was joking and that the joke was lost on you.  Similar to how jokes were lost on Spock on Star Trek.  Personally, I could not care less one way or another about Cabrera.

"Fascinating" and a eyebrow raise 🙂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

You remember Spock sometimes lost his sense of humor, yes.  Maybe I am Mr. Spock.  😁

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 9/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, bscinstnct said:

Good stuff PTm. Definitely worth keeping in mind that golf is a game with an extended range of age for being competitive.

BK, and credit to his honesty, cites a pretty poor health picture for himself. He could be playing possum though. 

Let’s see how long it takes him to win…one more! If he can do it next year, he only has to do it 10 more times ; )

Doesn't seem to be that type of dude.... it doesn't fit his personality. I think he's confident which is respectable but nah. Self belief makes dreams possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

🤤 Lucky you! 

I wish I still had it!🤑

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, bscinstnct said:

Nice. This was my Uncle Rico mobile in HS. 

Engine was called 350 Rocket. Had a 4bbl. 

Could run with a lot of newer cars…if you were going straight 🤣. Handling? Not so good ; )

A764E9F3-2C6B-4BCA-BEEA-C6757133CB56.jpeg

You be like this with that car. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

It sounds to me like Brooks may have had a convo with Jack, or read some of his older thoughts.  In a nutshell I recall Jack making these sort of statements.  

1.  Focus on personal and family time, when you are away from work, stay away from work.  (golf)  Jack was able to compartmentalize.  When he focused he focused.  Better than anyone.  

2. Forget about the bad shots and rounds, they never happened.

3.  The majors are the easiest to win, stay calm, play your game while everyone else is choking.  If you linger on the leaderboard sometimes they will fall in your lap.  18 wins, 19 2nd's.  73 Top 10's.  2nd place goes to Tom Watson and Sam Snead with something like 43.......  Crazy.  

4.  Strong self belief. I don't think anyone believed in themself more than Jack, Brooks is trying to emulate that.  It does come off as a bit cocky.  

5.  Down play the amount you practice and your love for the game.  Jack always acted like he loved fishing and tennis more than golf.  Trevino always said Jack was a closet practicer.  

6.  Only practice if you have something specific to work on, don't beat balls, don't tinker, hit shots you would hit on the course, visualize yourself playing a round at the range.  Jack would literally go through his pre-shot routine on every shot on the range.  R7.  People often accused Jack of being somewhat arrogant and a know-it-all.  

That being said, I don't think he can catch Jack, or Tiger.  He might win more than anyone of his generation though.  Who is going to pass him?  Spieth, Thomas, Rory, DJ, Morikawa, DeChambeau?  Spieth might have a chance if he keeps getting back on track, maybe Morikawa, but his putter is too inconsistent.  

THIS^^^^^^

M

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

On 9/14/2021 at 11:53 PM, TiScape said:

Most great athletes use visualization techniques to obtain specific goals. Visualization combined with a specific training program/schedule is a powerful tool for an athlete.

So you're saying my intermittent intrusive thought of "don't shank this" at the top of my backswing is not conducive to a good golf game?

• Haha 3

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

10 minutes ago, rooski said:

So you're saying my intermittent intrusive thought of "don't shank this" at the top of my backswing is not conducive to a good golf game?

Haha. Funny you mention that. As I was typing that I was thinking. The average golfer is indeed thinking about all the ‘what not to do’s’.  Guilty myself. No bueno. As we know all the pros are doing the opposite and envisioning the shot they want to hit. I need to be better at that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

Haha. Funny you mention that. As I was typing that I was thinking. The average golfer is indeed thinking about all the ‘what not to do’s’.  Guilty myself. No bueno. As we know all the pros are doing the opposite and envisioning the shot they want to hit. I need to be better at that. 

Yeah its certainly tough and requires a lot of mental work. Usually I'm quite good at it after lots of practice but there's just that one stupid "don't shank this" thought that pops up once or twice a round in the middle of my swing. 

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

It sounds to me like Brooks may have had a convo with Jack, or read some of his older thoughts.  In a nutshell I recall Jack making these sort of statements.  

1.  Focus on personal and family time, when you are away from work, stay away from work.  (golf)  Jack was able to compartmentalize.  When he focused he focused.  Better than anyone.  

2. Forget about the bad shots and rounds, they never happened.

3.  The majors are the easiest to win, stay calm, play your game while everyone else is choking.  If you linger on the leaderboard sometimes they will fall in your lap.  18 wins, 19 2nd's.  73 Top 10's.  2nd place goes to Tom Watson and Sam Snead with something like 43.......  Crazy.  

4.  Strong self belief. I don't think anyone believed in themself more than Jack, Brooks is trying to emulate that.  It does come off as a bit cocky.  

5.  Down play the amount you practice and your love for the game.  Jack always acted like he loved fishing and tennis more than golf.  Trevino always said Jack was a closet practicer.  

6.  Only practice if you have something specific to work on, don't beat balls, don't tinker, hit shots you would hit on the course, visualize yourself playing a round at the range.  Jack would literally go through his pre-shot routine on every shot on the range.  R7.  People often accused Jack of being somewhat arrogant and a know-it-all.  

That being said, I don't think he can catch Jack, or Tiger.  He might win more than anyone of his generation though.  Who is going to pass him?  Spieth, Thomas, Rory, DJ, Morikawa, DeChambeau?  Spieth might have a chance if he keeps getting back on track, maybe Morikawa, but his putter is too inconsistent.  

Great post.

Id just mention that doesn’t seem like Jack ever had trouble being focused on every event and every single shot. Major or not. 
BK has said he has trouble getting motivated and focused in “regular” events.

Then, there a lack of reality on his part in suggesting he’s anywhere near the caliber of golfer as Tiger.

I mean, to underline this, old broken down, back fused TW just beat him and all the young guns in their prime in the event the vast majority of them hold as the most coveted. 

Jack had the game to beat anybody he was playing. Tiger as well. They were just straight up *better than everyone. 

BK is as good as any of the top guys out there. But he’s not better than them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Great post.

Id just mention that doesn’t seem like Jack ever had trouble being focused on every event and every single shot. Major or not. 
BK has said he has trouble getting motivated and focused in “regular” events.

Then, there a lack of reality on his part in suggesting he’s anywhere near the caliber of golfer as Tiger.

I mean, to underline this, old broken down, back fused TW just beat him and all the young guns in their prime in the event the vast majority of them hold as the most coveted. 

Jack had the game to beat anybody he was playing. Tiger as well. They were just straight up *better than everyone. 

BK is as good as any of the top guys out there. But he’s not better than them. 

Yeah, but you can't play with that attitude. I couldn't. Unless I believed I was better than everyone, I'd never win. We're all different psychologically. Some people, in order to play well, have to believe they are better than everyone....some have to play with a chip on their shoulder and be pissed off all the time. We're all different. I see pro athletes as patients all the time, and most of them are more like BKs attitude than not.

• Like 2

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

42 minutes ago, physasst said:

Yeah, but you can't play with that attitude. I couldn't. Unless I believed I was better than everyone, I'd never win. We're all different psychologically. Some people, in order to play well, have to believe they are better than everyone....some have to play with a chip on their shoulder and be pissed off all the time. We're all different. I see pro athletes as patients all the time, and most of them are more like BKs attitude than not.

100%. He should have this attitude that nobody can beat him if he plays well.

Well, None of the guys out there now…

But compare himself in any way to Tiger?

People say and I’m sure the young golfers think now,

I can’t believe that guys like Ernie Els and other pros would think they are playing for 2nd

And in Jack’s day, the thinking was, “Jack knew he was going to beat you. You knew Jack was going to beat you…..”

BK just aint at that level. 

Is like in Uncle Rico football. We were pretty good. Had some great talent and played against some. But just one time we played this school and they had an RB. 6’1, 220, and extremely fast. We won the game, it’s a team sport after all. Our D was an insane wolf pack!

But on one play, their QB fumbles in the backfield. Our guy picks it up in stride and takes off down the field. He’s gone, we are all cheering, thats 6 for us. 

Then, this RB I mentioned closes like 30 yards on our guy. It was like watching a superhero in a movie, like special effects or something lol. Especially at his size. He catches our guy from behind. He was just straight up better. 

I know, “great story bro” 🤣 But BK knows he’s not TW. But not to say he can’t  view his goal of 1 per year and getting to 15 or 18 in another context I suppose. 

Edited by bscinstnct

42 minutes ago, physasst said:

I agree with this.  I feel this way myself.( inside my peer group of course )   If I’m honest.  But.  What I think he missed was the class on hiding it in public.  Phil could teach him.  Phil let’s it out.  But in playful self depreciation  mixed with some  figjam moments.   Brooks acts like he has turrets .  Just blurts out “ I’m the greatest ……” amid a mundane conversation.  

sounds like this to me “ Brooks.  How’s that ice cream you got at the turn “? 

“ man it’s ok.  I prefer Ricky road. But chocolate works.  I mean it’s whatever. I guess they didn’t have time to get any real ice cream ….. I’m going to pass tiger ….. but the waffle cone is spot on.  I mean not as good as at moms house.  But good.  “ 

Maybe I sound  the same way ?  If so I apologize to all. 😂

• Haha 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 hours ago, TiScape said:

I understand what you are saying. I know for myself I feel like I can turn it on and off. If it’s something I don’t care about, like video games, I honestly don’t care if I win or not. I don’t put in a lot of effort. If it’s something I care/am passionate about, I definitely do want to win and will give more effort.

So what do you believe contributes to the big discrepancy in reg season vs. playoff hockey for instance? I’m no hockey expert, but there is most definitely a huge difference in speed/effort in the playoffs. 

*congrats on beating Tiger btw! 😉 haha

Haha I said it to my caddie - who was this awesome old Irish fella - and he was like "Aye, lad, bit less pressure out here today though."

Anyway, I feel like that happens in a lot of professional sports. Like, there's just SO MUCH MONEY even if you're a middling level player in any sport that the drive to really put the work in isn't there anymore. Obviously you don't reach that level in the first place without a drive to be the best but once there, seems the fire goes away for most. 

So it's why guys like Tiger or Tom Brady are so rare. Brady has absolutely nothing left to prove but he's still out there doing Tom Brady things at 44 years old ... because he still wants to win. And if Tiger can still swing a golf club after his recovery, I totally believe he'll be back out there still trying to catch Jack. 

As to why playoffs or majors seem to matter more for a lot? My guess is because that's where the money comes from and what people remember. What was the bit in Moneyball about the A's 20 win streak not mattering - all that matters is the championship? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, physasst said:

Unless I believed I was better than everyone, I'd never win.

Yeah, this.

On my good days, I can shoot around par. On my bad days ... let's not talk about it. BUT ... if I were to tee it up against any pro, in my mind I'm thinking "I can beat this guy." In reality, of course I can't. But I THINK I can. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Yeah, this.

On my good days, I can shoot around par. On my bad days ... let's not talk about it. BUT ... if I were to tee it up against any pro, in my mind I'm thinking "I can beat this guy." In reality, of course I can't. But I THINK I can. 

Exactly. I played D1 college tennis. I remember several times saying "bring Agassi on, bring any of them on!" Could I beat them? Almost certainly not....but in my mind, to play at my peak, I needed to think that way. I remember being down at Van der Meer's in 1990 and getting to hit some balls with Stefan Edberg. It was amazing...did I come away respecting him yeah, but there was a part of me that thought "On the right day, I can beat that guy"....I have no problem with what BK said. Do I think he'll do it? Probably not, but if that's what he needs to believe to play at his peak....good on him...

M

Edited by physasst
  • Like 2

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

It's certainly a great goal but the math says he's run out of runway...  TW had 12 majors by 31 vs Brooks 4 and Tiger wasn't falling apart at 31 either. 

I get your point, and you are correct, except Tiger was starting to fall apart at 31.  He had already had a couple of knee surgeries I believe.  The 2008 US Open with the broken leg was about 2 years away.  Except for the 2019 Masters Tiger was done winning majors at the age of 32.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

5 minutes ago, physasst said:

Exactly. I played D1 college tennis. I remember several times saying "bring Agassi on, bring any of them on!" Could I beat them? Almost certainly not....but in my mind, to play at my peak, I needed to think that way. I remember being down at Van der Meer's in 1990 and getting to hit some balls with Stefan Edberg. It was amazing...did I come away respecting him yeah, but there was a part of me that thought "On the right day, I can beat that guy"....I have no problem with what BK said. Do I think he'll do it? Probably not, but if that's what he needs to believe to play at his peak....good on him...

M

Yeah. I always think about a time during my sophomore year on my high school golf team. I got grouped with our best player for practice one day - and yeah. He was a good. Definitely better than me at the time. And also a mad s*** talker. And it just really got to me that day till I was finally like "Ok dude, 9 holes. Match play. Tomorrow. For $100."

"You're on."

I went on to play probably the best round of my life at that point that next day. Match was square going into 9 and I rolled in a 25 footer for birdie to win. 

I shouldn't have won. No one on the team thought I was going to. But I did. 

So same. If I were in his position, I'd be thinking the same thing he is. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, physasst said:

M

Very cool.  I was a big Stefan Edberg fan.  That topspin serve was legit!!

OIP.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Yeah, this.

Sure, it’s good to think this way, keeps you focused. 

I remember Rory talking bout playing TW the first time, see TW hit a certain “traj” and he like,

”I don’t even have that shot”

I’m sure this was the case for the pros of TWs time. Some of them HoF guys.

Theres only so much abuse and demoralization they could take before just acknowledging

This guy is just better than me.

Doenst mean they didn’t go out on Thursday to win.

But come Sunday, you see TW top of the leaderboard, and the guy close every frickin time, it’s gotta have an impact on your perspective. 

3 hours ago, rooski said:

Lol.  Mine is "don't hook it into the woods."

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX