Titleist not offering 4-for-3 in 2022?

Shadrach

5 minutes ago, ajestrada3 said:

Is the callaway offer strictly through your club or do you know if they have online retailers offering it as well?

This is all the email said (other than local club items):

Callaway Chrome Soft & Chrome Soft X Golf Balls 
Buy 3 dozen, get 1 dozen at no charge
Free Personalization
Callaway is the only manufacturer to offer buy 3, get 1 free this year
4 dozen balls for only $150.00
>>Contact the Golf Shop to place your order

• Like 1

This is what we got from our pro shop.  They said that the Callaway one is not confirmed yet either.  

Capture.PNG

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Can confirm no deal, anywhere in the world.

They can barely keep up with current demand and couldn’t cope with the huge spike of orders.

gutted to be fair, been an annual ritual for a good few years now.

hopefully we will get a free personalisation offer or similar at least - I should have asked that too 🙄

I would count $50 a dozen as an already discounted price at this point. Guarantee the '23 ProV1 will be $55+/doz. Every other new ball release has gone up in price this year. I expect Titleist to do the same next year. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / BRNR 13.5 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

If there is no deal then I am switching to a new ball for the upcoming season. I have taken advantage of the 4-for-3 the last few years, and gone on to buy many more boxes as I play the same ball for the season. Well no more if the rumors are true.

Titleist, take note, you are losing long-time customers, and may want to re-consider.

• Confused 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

6 hours ago, tw_focus said:

If there is no deal then I am switching to a new ball for the upcoming season. I have taken advantage of the 4-for-3 the last few years, and gone on to buy many more boxes as I play the same ball for the season. Well no more if the rumors are true.

Titleist, take note, you are losing long-time customers, and may want to re-consider.

True.  As technology advances all products tend to equalize in performance.  Just like 30-40 years ago I would only buy an IBM computer.  Now I just get what's on sale.  

Edited by cristphoto

13 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So you'll switch from your preferred Titleist and pay full price anyway for another ball (unless you take the Cally 4-3) ?

And then, after you've saved your $1 per ball for the first 4 dozen Callys, you'll pay the SAME price as the ProV for subsequent balls from Cally or Srixon, or TM, or whoever else, rather than use your preferred ball ?

All this just because Titleist doesn't offer the 4-3 this year ???

Focus tw, focus. :classic_laugh:

I understand what you are saying but..

Taylormade, Srixon, Wilson have joined Calloway in running 4 for 3 promo's. 

I have played Titleist for about 8 years, but I have to admit I am tempted to hit some other brands and see if I like something else better as Titleist is messing with my normal spring prep for the season. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So you'll switch from your preferred Titleist and pay full price anyway for another ball (unless you take the Cally 4-3) ?

And then, after you've saved your $1 per ball for the first 4 dozen Callys, you'll pay the SAME price as the ProV for subsequent balls from Cally or Srixon, or TM, or whoever else, rather than use your preferred ball ?

All this just because Titleist doesn't offer the 4-3 this year ???

Focus tw, focus. :classic_laugh:

No, that is not what I said, and I don't appreciate your bogus strawman argument.

1. "Full price" on other balls is cheaper than "full price" of ProV1.

2. Many, many vendors offer 4-for-3.

3. The price difference is often > $1 per ball. But $1 per ball is significant (considering ball price is ~$4 per ball = 25% discount).

4. 4-for-3 means 8-for-6 or 12-for-9, just buy enough balls for the year / season.

Basically everything in your post is wrong, but thanks for the misinformation.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, cristphoto said:

True.  As technology advances all products tend to equalize in performance.  Just like 30-40 years ago I would only buy an IBM computer.  Now I just get what's on sale.  

It's not about performance but rather consistency of manufacturing process and QC. Titleist is light years ahead of competition in that department, as MGS studies have shown. How much that is worth to you requires your own judgement about your own game.

Edited by tw_focus
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, tw_focus said:

It's not about performance but rather consistency of manufacturing process and QC. Titleist is light years ahead of competition in that department, as MGS studies have shown. How much that is worth to you requires your own judgement about your own game.

I’m sorry but I don’t take MSG’s studies as gospel. I’ve reviewed their testing procedures and they are flawed IMO, there tests samples are too small to be that accurate.

That being said I do believe Titleist does have the the best QC process in the ball business.

I have used the Titleist Loyalty Program for the last 4-5 years and have settled on the ProV1x LD two years ago and prior I played the 2015 & earlier ProV1x, but the recent change in the ProV1x had me searching for a new ball before the LD was available, so having an alternative like the CSX LS & the Bridgestone B X are now viable options. 

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* @ 18* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

It's already been mentioned here, but I got an email from my club today saying that Callaway was going to be offering the "buy 3 get 1 free deal" starting today through April 7th.

There was no mention of any other brands doing it, and since in years past they have been included in the email I'm guessing this means Callaway might be the only one running the promo this year. Or at least they are to this point.

20 hours ago, tw_focus said:

No, that is not what I said, and I don't appreciate your bogus strawman argument.

1. "Full price" on other balls is cheaper than "full price" of ProV1.

2. Many, many vendors offer 4-for-3.

3. The price difference is often > $1 per ball. But $1 per ball is significant (considering ball price is ~$4 per ball = 25% discount).

4. 4-for-3 means 8-for-6 or 12-for-9, just buy enough balls for the year / season.

Basically everything in your post is wrong, but thanks for the misinformation.

Strawman ? :classic_laugh:

2) Thanks. I wasn't aware, or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, that most(?) of the other majors were doing the 4-3. My bad.

1, 3 & 4) I was assuming (Yeah, I know 🙃), we were talking mainly about tour level balls, e.g. Prov1 vs. Chrome Soft, TP5, etc. I don't pay any attention to Top Flites (or similar).

$1 off of a $4 ball IS 25%. But scale baby, scale !!! $1 is 1.6% of the cost of a $60 greens fee; a relative pittance.

If that $1 per ball (round ?) is that significant to one who's paying $2K for their full bag and $30-$100 per round, one is probably playing the wrong sport.

I haven't met any serious player who would compromise his round for $1.

So regularly Provs are $50 (4.15 per), Srixon is $45 (3.75 per); $.40 per ball.

WITH the 4-3, Srixons are 2.70; a whopping $1.45 per.

I don't speak for anyone else but when I'm paying from $35-$90 for a round of golf I'm not "compromising" my game for <$2.

There's an expression across the pond, "penny-wise and pound foolish". I think that applies here.

And if you, as you're suggesting, change your mind for a couple of bucks on a whim such as your favorite(?) not offering the 4-3 deal, why on earth would you buy MULTIPLE 4-3 deals of ANYTHING ?

Mightn't you change your mind again ? Then what do you do with all those "extra" dozens of balls ?

And if Titleist's "consistency of manufacturing process and QC", is so much better than the others, as you yourself suggest, why on earth would you "risk" your game with other balls for about a $1 per round when you're paying FAR MORE for that round and your other golf equipment ? Makes no sense,,,,, to me anyway.

But hey, maybe that's just me ? Dunno1.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

The two balls that performed best for me last year and then again this year are the LD and the CSX LS. I’m switching to the 22 CSX LS. The 22 got better. I like yellow these days. I like the tracks. It’s way more accessible. I can grab a dozen in my pro shop anytime. The performance was nearly identical. And yeah, it’s a better deal. 

So I’m not mad Titleist isn’t doing it this year. There are just so many good options these days, which is great for all of us. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, tw_focus said:

I beg to differ.  Its all about performance.  I agree with Sparty about the Spy Guys.  I've commented to them several times about how their testing methods could be improved.  What I would like to see is when they comment about a certain ball all of a sudden going off line or flying short they should set that ball aside and send it to their "ball lab" to compare to a ball that performed fine.  Then we would see if a flaw caused the issue. Why not x-ray them like Titleist does to confirm proper core centering. Otherwise once you cut a ball open you can never test to see any flight deficiencies. Does a ball have to have zero defects? At what point does a slight flaw actually show up in ball flight?  Lots of causes for differing ball measurements. Did the robot swing identically each shot? Did the shaft flex slightly differently? Did a gust of wind hit the ball during flight?   Conversely a ball that has zero manufacturing flaws could be a dud performance-wise.   

Edited by cristphoto

20 hours ago, nsxguy said:

But hey, maybe that's just me ? Dunno1.gif

Nope, not just you. Said it earlier - people whining that they don't get free stuff this year, in the midst of massive supply chain issues still, never had any "loyalty" to Titleist or anyone else. They just want to save money. If folks came out and just said that, it wouldn't be a big deal. But instead folks gotta whine about "losing long time customers" like they're special or something. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems like the Titleist guys are saying all these your pros winning majors and golf tournaments with Cally, Bridgestone, and Srixon are giving up a few strokes per round and still winning.

I'm impressed.

(Of course, they may have played 20 rounds with the current offerings of each brand and determined that Titleist is the best ball for them).

MSG are the only ones trying in this regard, with every other review it's "long and straight" or "I hit 5 shots, here are the averages". MSG takes a sample set of balls and tests variance on characteristics, Titleist is light years ahead.

Now as to whether it matters, I'd say if I were playing golf where a given shot could be worth $100,000 or more then yes, variance definitely matters, I am playing Titleist all day. If I'm a 30 handicapper on a budget who can't hit the ball consistently no matter the ball then I am playing budget balls all day. In between? It's up to you, you figure it out, there is no right answer except for YOU. Inconsistent ball construction might cost you a stroke or two on occasions if you don't play the best. Does it matter to you? YOU DECIDE.

If you want the best then Titleist is the only option. There's no contest here, data proves it. It's like all the other OEMs copied Titleist's marketing without spending the R&D on manufacturing process. But buy what you like, it's your money and your game.

3 hours ago, tw_focus said:

MSG are the only ones trying in this regard, with every other review it's "long and straight" or "I hit 5 shots, here are the averages". MSG takes a sample set of balls and tests variance on characteristics, Titleist is light years ahead.

Now as to whether it matters, I'd say if I were playing golf where a given shot could be worth $100,000 or more then yes, variance definitely matters, I am playing Titleist all day. If I'm a 30 handicapper on a budget who can't hit the ball consistently no matter the ball then I am playing budget balls all day. In between? It's up to you, you figure it out, there is no right answer except for YOU. Inconsistent ball construction might cost you a stroke or two on occasions if you don't play the best. Does it matter to you? YOU DECIDE.

If you want the best then Titleist is the only option. There's no contest here, data proves it. It's like all the other OEMs copied Titleist's marketing without spending the R&D on manufacturing process. But buy what you like, it's your money and your game.

trying to be a neutral 3rd party in this discussion, as I grew up playing titleist balls and something about the script of the titleist  letter down to the dimples feels nostalgic and proper to me when I tee it up. but as I get older and still able to maintain a + cap I think the ball manufacturers have all caught up in terms of performance but like you said maybe not consistency of quality? even as a + cap who considers tee to green game as my strength I don't strike it the same all the time and honestly I wouldn't ever blame the ball if it flew shorter or longer, faded more or less etc....always felt it was me and the swing path or club face. if titleist was more consistent I'd never would've known...for the 99.9% of us that aren't on tv it doesn't matter really IMO. I'm a huge Tiger fan as are you, are you saying Tiger is using an inferior ball with b-stone? I've honestly felt the Tour B line should be more consistent than the prov's as they're injection molded covers as opposed to 2 halves being fused together. 

• Like 2

It still amazes me that every one bows down to Titleist marketing while loads of online testing shows that many of their balls are not the best performing. In some cases they are, but in many cases lately, even Snell and Maxfli are neck and neck and in many cases, ahead of Titleist in performance categories. Of course, you didn't just spend $1,500 on new Snell irons, a hat, and a bag so there is that "belief" that you play the best in Titleist, but my belief is that you just got taken by the company spending the most on marketing. Remember how that marketing giant began the Pro V journey....on the back of Bridgestone technology and patents.

• Like 4

What a disastrous post this has turned into.   If you want to play Titleist then play it.   I do to support our club pros.  If the main reason is the 4 for 3 and ok to switch then switch.   Most companies make good equipment and sure either marketing, certain characteristics, etc. of one you may like better or worse but that is individual prerogative.   Personally not a Callaway fan and their marketing but that is just me.   I like Srixon and Bridgestone and would be ok with them.  I do find Srixon not as durable.

Just about every global company is having supply issues and cost increases.    Global is great and can keep prices lower but not given the last 3 years.

as for normal pricing, I was in local Golf Galaxy and other store and Titleist, Cally, TM and new Bridgestone all the same or maybe a dollar difference for a dozen.  Srixon I think was 4-5 less.   The 2-5 players behind the market leader could try and use this as a way to boost sales even if short term and nothing wrong with that.   Maybe new loyal customers, maybe not.   

in the end, buy and play any ball and clubs you want and your budget permits.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

Can you only get the callaway deal through a club? I’d love to order some!

I split time between the UK, Canada and the US. Funny thing...

UK Online retailers are running this deal (ie clubhouse golf)

Canada online retailers are running this deal (Srixon, TM and Wlison are running 4 for 3 deals in Canada too) (ie Golftown, Sportscheck etc)

but it does not seem like any of the US retailers are yet.🤷‍♂️

Edited by 2bGood

7 hours ago, scottaz said:

In the past, I remember getting the notification from my club a few weeks before seeing them available elsewhere. Maybe that will be the case this time. It also says while supplies last. 

It is absolutely categorically not happening this Spring for any country.

I’m a retired HS teacher-coach, so money matters, always.  But I’m also VERY serious about trying to play golf as well as I possibly can.  Like others, I’m disappointed that Titleist isn’t doing the loyalty program this year.  But it’s only a disappointment, not a deal-breaker, at least for me.  I rarely if ever pay retail anyway; pro shop credits, gift cards, Xmas and BD gifts; heck, just train your in-laws to give you gift cards!  They don’t want to shop for you anyway!

When I think about what I spend on golf (and I try not to!) saving a few bucks on each dozen balls seems sort of a joke.  My golf clubs, my club dues, tournament entry fees, and on and on, just dwarf what I spend on golf balls.

Suppose I played 144 rounds a year, and used a new ball at the beginning of every round; that’s 12 dozen balls a year, right?  If I figure out a way to save $10 a dozen on each dozen, that’s $120 a year.  In the scope of what I spend on golf per year, I’m not sure $120 is a measurable percentage, and it certainly isn’t worth NOT using whatever golf ball I want to use.

And I’ll add one other personal opinion about ProV1s.  IF you don’t lose a lot of golf balls, the per round cost of ProV1s goes WAY down because the covers are just stoopid durable.  Ferrari performance with Toyota durability is a pretty good combo, and worth a few extra bucks to me.

Edited by bluedot

If you want to play X then play X.

Data shows Titleist balls are by far manufactured to the highest tolerances and nobody is even close.

If you have data that shows otherwise (and you don't) then please reply with data. Otherwise there is nothing more to say.

"X ball by X is long and straight" - Ok, go play X ball, which is not manufactured to the highest tolerances. That's your decision. Play what you like.