Callaway UW

copegolfer

2 hours ago, endy said:

Lofted down to 12.5 ?!?!!? That could almost be a driver replacement LOL

3 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

I would love to know so much more about it. More than @JohnnyCallawaywould ever want to share. 

1 minute ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Wedged to about 4.25° Open. 

Mine is Open to just about 5.00°. BUT it is a 17° Head. Not a 15°. LOL. 

I gotta believe that 14g honker of a weight has to be more for height rather than reduced spin. 

• Like 1

Ordered up a 19 UW from Callaway preowned to fill the gap from 4w to 4hybrid.... delivers yesterday just in time to grip it up and get ready for this weekends rounds.... Until I notice they send me the wrong flex.

Womp womp womp.

• Sad 1

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

Soooo.....Had a chance to do a little testing yesterday and results where what i was afraid of.....All tests with stock HZRDUS 70 shaft....I hit the 19 and the 17 almost the exact same distance unless i tee the 17 up a half inch and swing like i am hitting a driver. I hit the 21 about 15 yards shorter....Why this is I am not sure except i have never hit real low degree hybrids well.....I own a 17 and a 21 that i bought at CPO in like new condition for a good price sight unseen...Now it seems i would be better off with just a 19 which in my mind is way easier to hit than the 17....Has anyone else had the same or similar results.

Lower launch with 17, but more roll? If so, that same thing happens with one length irons when you meet the threshold when you don't have enough swing speed for the loft in question. Shafts are the same length, like they are in your 17 and 19 UW, so you don't get any help from there. Shaft change for something higher launching could help, but that's a maybe.

2 minutes ago, Antmeister said:

Lower launch with 17, but more roll? If so, that same thing happens with one length irons when you meet the threshold when you don't have enough swing speed for the loft in question. Shafts are the same length, like they are in your 17 and 19 UW, so you don't get any help from there. Shaft change for something higher launching could help, but that's a maybe.

Swing speed with a driver now is around 105 with driver but had the same issue with low lofted hybrids when i was 112 to 115.

Didn't mean to say you are slow or anything. Let me say it with example: I played F7 one length irons when I started playing. My threshold was between 4 iron (20 degree, 7 iron length) and 5 iron (23 degree, 7 iron length). So 3 degrees. 5 iron I could hit like any other iron. High, nice shots. 4 iron was low bullets all day. 3 degrees and the difference was enormous. That 4 iron for me was redundant.

If this is not what causes your problems with the 17 UW, then I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antmeister said:

Didn't mean to say you are slow or anything. Let me say it with example: I played F7 one length irons when I started playing. My threshold was between 4 iron (20 degree, 7 iron length) and 5 iron (23 degree, 7 iron length). So 3 degrees. 5 iron I could hit like any other iron. High, nice shots. 4 iron was low bullets all day. 3 degrees and the difference was enormous. That 4 iron for me was redundant.

If this is not what causes your problems with the 17 UW, then I don't know.

Nope, I didn't take it that way. I appreciate the feedback. What you say makes sense.

I have a 17 degree UW with Rogue White X shaft.  I took to an outdoor hitting bay that has a flightscope.  I had a bunch of shots where the smash was 1.5 and my ball speeds were north of 160.  Honestly I never felt like I 100% pured any of these shots.  This club is crazy fast and may replace driver on most par 4s.  I just hit middle of club so much more with this club than a driver.  I ordered with shaft shortened as well so it would feel more like a hybrid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reider69 said:

I have a 17 degree UW with Rogue White X shaft.  I took to an outdoor hitting bay that has a flightscope.  I had a bunch of shots where the smash was 1.5 and my ball speeds were north of 160.  Honestly I never felt like I 100% pured any of these shots.  This club is crazy fast and may replace driver on most par 4s.  I just hit middle of club so much more with this club than a driver.  I ordered with shaft shortened as well so it would feel more like a hybrid.

I use my 19 off the tee a lot more than I thought I would when I bought this thing.  Anything that I used to pull my 3w out on, now defaults to the 19 UW.  If I'm having a rough day with the swing and the driver is all over, I default to the 19 UW.  It's not as long as me 3w, but it's long enough to where I'd only be hitting one more club in, and I know it'll be in the fairway.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Been a while since I posted to this thread, but I keep up with it since I love these clubs. 

I agree and in similar situations as @reider69 and @MountainKing. I have played my 17* with a UW Tour AD DI shortened for over a year. Absolutely, love the UW’s and play all my mine a bit short (from memory -1”). This club kicked my Epic Speed 3W with a Tour AD UB out of then bag almost immediately. Plus, is a nice play if the driver is not fully on as well. After this experience for a few months I added a 21* with a Tour AD UB early last spring. With this addition I removed a long iron/hybrid from the bag. Both of these clubs have been great.

I just added a 19* with a Tour AD IZ this week. I had the shafts swapped by my builder this week with the DI (now in 19*) and IZ (now in 17*).  I added the 19* primarily just for use from the deck/rough and to get more height from the deck into green.  The 17* is a mid/mid high bomber, but can come in hot if not struck well at times.  I plan to use the 17* primarily from the tee or for any long distance shot that needs some accuracy. With these scenarios the gapping should not be an issue since I am really using the 17* as a tee club. I believe from others experiences from this thread the 19* will play as hot as my 17*, but come in a bit steeper. 

These clubs are pretty much point and shot for me. They have really helped the top end of my bag especially from the deck or any tight shot. I am taking the 19* out tomorrow and it’s straight into the bag. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

On 1/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, TomVexille said:

For some reason, despite having advertised it, the UW didn't seem to make it into stores here in Australia. I even asked the Callaway head office and they didn't have one for a fitting either. I ended up ordering a 17* from CPO. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

I asked both Callaway Australia and USA why I couldn't get a lefty model ordered here in Australia.  Nobody had a valid reason except for wanting to focus sales on the Rogue ST line.  They had a few demos floating around in stores that were sold, but no stock was ever ordered for Australia.  I eventually got mine ordered fully custom from Callaway USA and shipped to my sister in Texas who sent it on with some Tour Issue Mavrik fairways.

Edited by aussieb
  • Like 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

On 1/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, wobgon said:

Soooo.....Had a chance to do a little testing yesterday and results where what i was afraid of.....All tests with stock HZRDUS 70 shaft....I hit the 19 and the 17 almost the exact same distance unless i tee the 17 up a half inch and swing like i am hitting a driver. I hit the 21 about 15 yards shorter....Why this is I am not sure except i have never hit real low degree hybrids well.....I own a 17 and a 21 that i bought at CPO in like new condition for a good price sight unseen...Now it seems i would be better off with just a 19 which in my mind is way easier to hit than the 17....Has anyone else had the same or similar results.

Yeah I had the same issue with the 17° with the stock hzrdus rdx shaft but I have no need to change it in my 21° as that this is a straight weapon in that 235-245 range. 

What I did was I put a more mid bend shaft in a GD VR 8 playing at 42.25” and it definitely helped with launch. So try a shaft change and play it a bit longer and see what you find

Finally got one of these and the 17 degree is wormburner all the way for me, no launch, too low spin. 

Do I stand a chance of getting it in the air if I can find a 19 degree instead? (UW are very hard to find in Australia so my chances of finding one are low).

Driver S/S 95mph, H/C 13 for reference. 

3 minutes ago, mc2 said:

Finally got one of these and the 17 degree is wormburner all the way for me, no launch, too low spin. 

Do I stand a chance of getting it in the air if I can find a 19 degree instead? (UW are very hard to find in Australia so my chances of finding one are low).

Driver S/S 95mph, H/C 13 for reference. 

Fitted for a better shaft would be best. 

11 minutes ago, FifeRiviera said:

Fitted for a better shaft would be best. 

I get it, I've been fitted for irons and driver recently with very good results.

BUT can shaft really change launch conditions enough for me?

Curious to know if anyone around the same swing speed as me can make a 17 or 19 work for them. 

Im also a low hitter and have my irons bent 3 degrees weak, so maybe the odds are against me here. I'm thinking a shallow faced 5 wood is probably my last option (looking for an off the deck club between driver and 3 hybrid). 

1 minute ago, mc2 said:

I get it, I've been fitted for irons and driver recently with very good results.

Curious to know if anyone around the same swing speed as me can make a 17 or 19 work for them. 

Im also a low hitter and have my irons bent 3 degrees weak, so maybe the odds are against me here. I'm thinking a shallow faced 5 wood is probably my last option (looking for an off the deck club between driver and 3 hybrid). 

A shaft can do silly silly things yes. I typically deloft woods but throw in a Tour Ad DI and I launch em normally. 

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

On the shaft question, I'm awaiting a Tensei Blue 21° UW which should help with launch..

I have the blue in my 4w. Wanted it in my 21 uw but didn’t have 80g I could order so went stiff mmt. When I get to the range I’ll let you know how it goes

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

* Just because a 17.0° UW hits worm burners, does not mean you will experience the same with a 19.0° UW. First hand experience. I hit the 17.0° very (very) low. The 19.0° I can launch to the moon. Same shaft, same length, same swingweight, same head weight, same grip, same lie angle, and face angle. *

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FifeRiviera said:

A shaft can do silly silly things yes. I typically deloft woods but throw in a Tour Ad DI and I launch em normally. 

20 hours ago, mc2 said:

Looking for same. Plan to keep (new to me) SuperHybrid 16* …but it’s feeling like it’s primarily (auto-fairway 215) off tee club. Thinking to drop 3w to 2/3+(D2) at 13-13.5* (Epic Speed, TSR?)… and still need something 18-19 for turf. Have an 0311x 21.5 (4i) and strongly considering that in 2/3i bent to 18. Graphite hybrid stiff shaft ~80-90g, not the common TX DI setup. 

Epic Max LS (HZRDUS HC Red) // PXG Gen5 (HZRDUS HC Yellow)

Epic Flash 14* (HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX)

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

Apex21 5-7, Apex Pro 8-GW

PING Glide 3.0 54/ 58 (Eye2) // TM Hi-Toe 54/ 58

Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11 // PING Karsten B60

ALWAYS, ALL WHITE FOOTJOYS 

I've had every hybrid combination on the planet for the last 10 years and nothing could beat my jet speed and this new Callaway UW is the first one to replace it they didn't have the 19 when I bought it on CPO so I got the 17 and it's the best missile launcher I've ever carried it can be a phenomenal hybrid or just replace the three wood it's just so hot off the face it's unreal