Callaway UW

copegolfer

My shaft experiment did not work out with my UW 19. Stock shaft was much too low launching for me. Anyone recommend a high launching shaft that won't break the bank?

TM 300 Mini 

Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 20*

Callaway X-Forged UT @24*

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Odyssey WH XG #9

All tucked in a Jones Utility with a single strap

On 6/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, M1KL83 said:

I asked Golf Works which weights to use for the UW and their response -

Callaway has told me that they made a weight just for the Apex Utility Wood. They told me their other weights would not fit.

What have you all found to fit the UW?

I dropped half an inch in length and to make my swing weight I want to replace the removable weight.

Sure lead tape or hot melt but swapping that weight is the clean fix.

As far as I can see most of the Callaway wood weights fit the UW. The hybrid do not and there are two different finishes to the bottom of the weight screw from different generations. Usual rules seem to apply, each 2g of weight is about 1 sw on the UW

53 minutes ago, pitchnputt said:

My shaft experiment did not work out with my UW 19. Stock shaft was much too low launching for me. Anyone recommend a high launching shaft that won't break the bank?

Project X Evenflow Riptide. It's a no-upcharge option. Definitely on the softer side -- I have stiff shafts in most stuff but go 6.5 in the Riptide. But it kicked the launch and spin on my UW up meaningfully. 

Tensei AV Blue is another one that comes to mind, but I like the Riptide better. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Project X Evenflow Riptide. It's a no-upcharge option. Definitely on the softer side -- I have stiff shafts in most stuff but go 6.5 in the Riptide. But it kicked the launch and spin on my UW up meaningfully. 

Tensei AV Blue is another one that comes to mind, but I like the Riptide better. 

I would agree Riptide over the AV Blue.  Wonder about the Mitsubishi MMT or Aldila Rogue White (both stock shafts and both mid launch like the Riptide and AV Blue)?  Even higher launching, but still stock, is the Aldila Orange NVS.  I have thought about going back to the 17* UW as my longest club after driver, so am interested in this discussion also.

Edited by Jut

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Taylormade TP5

6 minutes ago, Jut said:

I would agree Riptide over the AV Blue.  Wonder about the Mitsubishi MMT or Aldila Rogue White (both stock shafts and both mid launch like the Riptide and AV Blue)?  Even higher launching, but still stock, is the Aldila Orange NVS.  I have thought about going back to the 17* UW as my longest club after driver, so am interested in this discussion also.

I went with the mmt in 80g. Waiting for it to arrive. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

14 hours ago, wobgon said:

Anyone know if Callaway plans on releasing this type of club or something similar in their upcoming releases?

No idea but I really, really hope so. I would pay so much money for a left-handed 21 degree UW or something similar.

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

56 minutes ago, eric61 said:

No idea but I really, really hope so. I would pay so much money for a left-handed 21 degree UW or something similar.

Same here!  I went so far as to email Callaway with a plea to make a 17* and 21* in lefty...I'm sure they will listen to me 😂

• Like 1

Just had my first try out with a tour issue head 19* at 41" playing length with Ventus velocore 7s. This thing was giving me about 6mph ballspeed more than the other 19* hybrids I tested it against, all of which have been fit for me and included two TEE hybrids. The tour issue head looks to sit more open than retail which really suited my eye, I've just increased the weight from 14 to 19g to get it back to D4, I'm guessing the tour issue heads come in a little lighter to allow for hotmelting and the combination of 1/2" under and a 70g shaft pulled swingweight down too.

I've got a really good feeling about this club, just hope it does not kill the gapping with my 3 wood though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Just had my first try out with a tour issue head 19* at 41" playing length with Ventus velocore 7s. This thing was giving me about 6mph ballspeed more than the other 19* hybrids I tested it against, all of which have been fit for me and included two TEE hybrids. The tour issue head looks to sit more open than retail which really suited my eye, I've just increased the weight from 14 to 19g to get it back to D4, I'm guessing the tour issue heads come in a little lighter to allow for hotmelting and the combination of 1/2" under and a 70g shaft pulled swingweight down too.

I've got a really good feeling about this club, just hope it does not kill the gapping with my 3 wood though.

You've got a 19g weight in the sole of the 19° UW? 

I have a pretty specific question for everyone. 

I am very interested in the UW as my second longest club to replace the 3 wood spot in the bag because I have always struggled with woods off the deck. Problem is, I’m a lefty which means the 19 degree is my only option. Can anyone comment on how much further this goes than their 19 degree hybrid? I have a 19* hybrid that will not leave my bag, it’s old reliable. 3 wood normally carries 235-240 at 15.5 degrees, so I’m looking to get as close to that as possible. Am I better off going with a 17* ping hybrid and lofting it down? Has anyone compared the yardage of a ping 17* hybrid to this UW? 

45 minutes ago, doctorgolf said:

I am very interested in the UW as my second longest club to replace the 3 wood spot in the bag because I have always struggled with woods off the deck. Problem is, I’m a lefty which means the 19 degree is my only option. Can anyone comment on how much further this goes than their 19 degree hybrid? I have a 19* hybrid that will not leave my bag, it’s old reliable. 3 wood normally carries 235-240 at 15.5 degrees, so I’m looking to get as close to that as possible. Am I better off going with a 17* ping hybrid and lofting it down? Has anyone compared the yardage of a ping 17* hybrid to this UW? 

I'm not sure about the clubs you're asking about. But, you can order the 19 bent to 18 from Callaway. This will definitely give you a yardage gap from your hybrid. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vmann said:

I'm not sure about the clubs you're asking about. But, you can order the 19 bent to 18 from Callaway. This will definitely give you a yardage gap from your hybrid. 

Yeah I saw that. I guess I’m hoping to confirm that the gap will be large enough to warrant getting rid of 3 wood all together and relying on this as that 230-235ish carry club. 

41 minutes ago, doctorgolf said:

Yeah I saw that. I guess I’m hoping to confirm that the gap will be large enough to warrant getting rid of 3 wood all together and relying on this as that 230-235ish carry club. 

I honestly think you’ll be fine coming from a 235-240 3W. You might be looking at more like 225-230, but you won’t be far off. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

I play a TS2 16.5* around 240-245, UW 19* 225-235 and an Adams Pro 20* hybrid around 200-210.

I rarely hit the TS2 from the fairway and starting to hit it less from the tee. The UW is within 10 yds from the deck and tee. I would have gone 17* and 21*, but I’m a lefty and my only option was the 19*.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, vmann said:

13 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

In addition to the bending option, a big part of the UW's additional distance is length since it's stock playing length is 1"-1.5" longer than an equivalent hybrid, much closer to a 5w. The head itself has room to be lightened by decreasing the stock weight, so you could potentially push the UW even longer. That combined with having it bent to 18* should give you plenty of space between it and your hybrid. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 12/17/2022 at 4:44 PM, EaglesGolf99 said:

You've got a 19g weight in the sole of the 19° UW? 

Yes. It's the same weight port as you find in their driver or fairway wood line. So for instance the flash SZ fairway woods come with a 14 and 2g as standard and the 19g weight is the same size as the 14g, just made of denser material. Remember that the UW head is heavier than the SZ fairway as standard too to be built to a slightly shorter playing length, having a bit more weight low and neutral works fine in the UW. I gather a fair number of the pros using the UW are choosing to go shorter than the retail standard lengths too, many will hot-melt but you can literally use the weight port for anything between 2 and 19g on these, it will impact launch and spin a little, but the heavier the weight the more solid they feel and it's a low spinning head.

• Like 1

What shaft are people liking for the 21 degree as a 7 wood replacement. Tried and AD DI but don’t get along with Graphite Design shafts

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

17 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

What shaft are people liking for the 21 degree as a 7 wood replacement. Tried and AD DI but don’t get along with Graphite Design shafts

What are you trying to achieve? Everyone's answer will be different.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

11 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Yes. It's the same weight port as you find in their driver or fairway wood line. So for instance the flash SZ fairway woods come with a 14 and 2g as standard and the 19g weight is the same size as the 14g, just made of denser material. Remember that the UW head is heavier than the SZ fairway as standard too to be built to a slightly shorter playing length, having a bit more weight low and neutral works fine in the UW. I gather a fair number of the pros using the UW are choosing to go shorter than the retail standard lengths too, many will hot-melt but you can literally use the weight port for anything between 2 and 19g on these, it will impact launch and spin a little, but the heavier the weight the more solid they feel and it's a low spinning head.

Did you find the heavier weight(s) in the UW to....

Increase Launch? 

Lower Spin?

I can see rational for either. But I don't believe I'm seeing it clearly. 

I'm struggling with the 17.0°. I've got an 80g Shaft in it, Playing 42 1/4", and the Launch isn't what I would expect. HOWEVER, I have only a 5g Weight in the Head in an effort to kinda keep the Swingweight down because the 80g Shaft and additional Playing Length drive the Swingweight up quickly. 

I've been considering switching out the 80g Shaft for the 70g Shaft, and adding more to the Head Weight. 

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

What are you trying to achieve? Everyone's answer will be different.

Higher launch and spin then the stock hzrdus, but similar feel

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

36 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

Higher launch and spin then the stock hzrdus, but similar feel

RDX red? Or go hzrdus but softer in flex? Tensei blue also launches my 4w very well, good option there. All those have stiff handles and varying tip and mid stiffness profiles.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Grabbed one of these to test out finally and it delivers on the brief. Very workable - much easier to flight down than a wood but prefer it to hybrids for hitting soft cuts.  Super fast off the face and really forgiving low in the head which is nice. Ball speed just did not seem to drop. 19* goes maybe a little further than I need it to but I have no complaints with the club at all. I think they’ve hit a home run here. 80g rdx black 6.5 in mine. Wish I’d cashed in on the glitch when they came out!

Edited by TigerInTheWoods
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Did you find the heavier weight(s) in the UW to....

Increase Launch? 

Lower Spin?

I can see rational for either. But I don't believe I'm seeing it clearly. 

I'm struggling with the 17.0°. I've got an 80g Shaft in it, Playing 42 1/4", and the Launch isn't what I would expect. HOWEVER, I have only a 5g Weight in the Head in an effort to kinda keep the Swingweight down because the 80g Shaft and additional Playing Length drive the Swingweight up quickly. 

I've been considering switching out the 80g Shaft for the 70g Shaft, and adding more to the Head Weight. 

More weight in the bottom will reduce the centre of gravity and increase launch. On this model it will also pull the centre of gravity back a little which will add a little spin. Going to a lighter shaft can add spin and launch too. By going to a longer 80g shaft and lighter weight you are doing the opposite of all these things. I can't tell you that the changes will make the full difference you are looking for but they will help. For many this seems to be a low spin head and comes with a low spin Hzrdus shaft as stock, so just increasing spin can make a fair bit of difference as that's what keeps the ball in the air.

Edited by Pleasedwith3putts
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:59 PM, wobgon said:

Anyone know if Callaway plans on releasing this type of club or something similar in their upcoming releases?

JohnnyWonder answered "No plans" when I asked him about a new UW for 2023 during a reddit ama

• Like 1

#1: Titleist TSi3 9* - Ventus Black 6X 

#3: Titleist TSi3 15* - HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

3H: Titleist TSi3 20* - Motore 8.8 X

I: National Custom Works CB/MB DW - MMT 125 TX

W: Titleist SM8 Raw 56.14F & 60.14K - TT X100 TI Black Onyx

P: SC Newport 2 Centershafted P r o t o t y p e

In my experiences with hybrids, i always found that i could hit a 4 hybrid as long as a 3 or 2 hybrid, i guess due to the trajectory and carry i get with the 4.....Any one find this to be the case with the 19 and 17 UW.....I just grabbed a 17 and 21 to try but kind of wish I could compare the 19 to the 17.....Also, anyone playing a 19 and 21 in place of 17 and 21?

Edited by wobgon