2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

9 hours ago, ernotte said:

For those that have the 19*, have you went 10 or 20 grams heavier in the shaft compared to your driver?

My opinion and just my opinion but the UWs just do not perform with a lighter shaft. I also find if I go up in flex I see better results. When you take a 70 gram wood shaft tip it and then cut it down to this length you end up with a mid/low 60 gram weight. I have done this on several and weighed them all. For how I play this club, more like a long hybrid, I think you should start in the 80 gram range. I had a Ventus 9X in one and it was the best fit for me yet. Even that 9X was an upper 70 gram raw shaft. With a 70 gram class shaft overall weight of the club stays well above the 3 wood and driver but for some reason I just get along better with the higher weight shafts. Im fortunate and Ive tried probably 5 different shafts in mine and came back to the stock 80 gram RDX 6.5.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

My opinion and just my opinion but the UWs just do not perform with a lighter shaft. I also find if I go up in flex I see better results. When you take a 70 gram wood shaft tip it and then cut it down to this length you end up with a mid/low 60 gram weight. I have done this on several and weighed them all. For how I play this club, more like a long hybrid, I think you should start in the 80 gram range. I had a Ventus 9X in one and it was the best fit for me yet. Even that 9X was an upper 70 gram raw shaft. With a 70 gram class shaft overall weight of the club stays well above the 3 wood and driver but for some reason I just get along better with the higher weight shafts. Im fortunate and Ive tried probably 5 different shafts in mine and came back to the stock 80 gram RDX 6.5.

Thanks. That backs up two things I was thinking about. I currently play a 6x in my driver and had a 7s in my UW so I was thinking about either switching to a 7x or 8x in the UW.  The UW has been great for me but I'll have these odd tops every once in a blue moon with it and was wondering if the shaft was too soft. (can't be user error, right!? 😁)

Edited by ernotte
spelling

1 minute ago, FifeRiviera said:

Well the UW lost its place in the bag today. It’s too good at everything yet perfect at nothing it seems. 

What beat it out?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Tried out a UW 19* against a Cobra SZ Tour 17.5 @ 19* (both at 41") and prefer the Cobra fairway. A little more launch and spin with the Cobra and the rails work for me out of poor lies. In person, the shape of the UW surprised me a little bit too. Kind of oblong. I'm not opposed to hybrids at all, but the shaping is kind of strange. I prefer both the standard hybrid and fairway shape over the UW. Agree with the comment above. Jack of all trades, master of none in my hands.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 2/9/2023 at 5:46 AM, ernotte said:

For those that have the 19*, have you went 10 or 20 grams heavier in the shaft compared to your driver?

I went with the stock RDX black 70g in the UW 19*

My driver is the TSR3 (9*) with the stock HZRDUS Black 4G at 60g. 

Both stiff

The UW is a low-spin club, to add weight in the shaft might transform it into an even lower spinning club. (but I'm no expert)

I really like it. It's not the most tolerant club, but when you flush it, the feeling is crisp (crispier than my G425 19* hybrid and crispier than my TSR3 driver). And the trajectory is a low spin bullet with a mid-flight. It goes well in windy conditions. 

(96mph swing speed with the UW and goes 230 yards on average)

Edited by AverageFrenchGolfer
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 6:20 PM, cw1209 said:

Tried out a UW 19* against a Cobra SZ Tour 17.5 @ 19* (both at 41") and prefer the Cobra fairway. A little more launch and spin with the Cobra and the rails work for me out of poor lies. In person, the shape of the UW surprised me a little bit too. Kind of oblong. I'm not opposed to hybrids at all, but the shaping is kind of strange. I prefer both the standard hybrid and fairway shape over the UW. Agree with the comment above. Jack of all trades, master of none in my hands.

I'm actually trying to decide on getting a Cobra SZ Tour or a similar previous 5 wood model to play at 19* or a UW (19* or 21*).  I had a F6 Baffler for a long time and really liked that club, and did enjoy the Radspeed Tour set to 18.5*, but didn't stick with it because I preferred my 19* Adams hybrid a bit more at the time.  I now want to go back in that direction because I don't want to work as hard to hit the ball high as a stock shot.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 2/8/2023 at 8:46 PM, ernotte said:

If you had read through the 50 previous pages you would know that lol jk.

But there was a mention to that and I believe and others as well the 80g being the sweet spot. Unless it’s one of those heavier 70g that are more like 80g. But 70g feels way too light unless you gonna try to play it like a 3w length. But try 80g first as that is the stock weight of the stock shaft it comes in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I'm actually trying to decide on getting a Cobra SZ Tour or a similar previous 5 wood model to play at 19* or a UW (19* or 21*).  I had a F6 Baffler for a long time and really liked that club, and did enjoy the Radspeed Tour set to 18.5*, but didn't stick with it because I preferred my 19* Adams hybrid a bit more at the time.  I now want to go back in that direction because I don't want to work as hard to hit the ball high as a stock shot.  

I found the flight and spin of the UW to be closer to a hybrid. Just has a lot more speed to it, mostly due to the longer shaft. If you are looking for higher launch than your 19* hybrid, I would check out the 21* UW or a more traditional fairway like the Cobra Tour.  

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, Glock917 said:

If you had read through the 50 previous pages you would know that lol jk.

But there was a mention to that and I believe and others as well the 80g being the sweet spot. Unless it’s one of those heavier 70g that are more like 80g. But 70g feels way too light unless you gonna try to play it like a 3w length. But try 80g first as that is the stock weight of the stock shaft it comes in. 

If I had the time I definitely would! Always more to learn. 

10 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I was a but disappointed in the UW. Tried the 17 and 19. I mean, they are great clubs, but don’t come close to the capabilities or read of use of the Cobra King Tec or the epic super hybrid. 

the cobra king Tec is the same shape and size as the UW, but offers insane adjustability. The face is crazy hot and give you fairway wood type flight, but they are so easy to launch. 

the epic SH is a beast. More of a simple high and straight ball flight with a soft landing….. but just launches the ball so easy…. 

I don’t love fairway woods… when you consider these to clubs as an alternative to the UW…. And their ease of use vs a FW… it’s just amazing how far tech has come in this space. 

6 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I was a but disappointed in the UW. Tried the 17 and 19. I mean, they are great clubs, but don’t come close to the capabilities or read of use of the Cobra King Tec or the epic super hybrid. 

the cobra king Tec is the same shape and size as the UW, but offers insane adjustability. The face is crazy hot and give you fairway wood type flight, but they are so easy to launch. 

the epic SH is a beast. More of a simple high and straight ball flight with a soft landing….. but just launches the ball so easy…. 

I don’t love fairway woods… when you consider these to clubs as an alternative to the UW…. And their ease of use vs a FW… it’s just amazing how far tech has come in this space. 

I tried the 17* UW and couldn't get it to work the way I wanted to.  I just couldn't find a shaft combo to launch high enough for me, which is why I was thinking about the 21* UW if I went back that route.  The Cobra Tour woods are compact and I know I can launch those high enough, so that's why I'm kinda leaning that way, but I do prefer the way the UW sets up when choosing between it and the Cobra Tour woods.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

7 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The SH is a beast, but it only does one thing well, which is what you described.   The UW, is far more versitile in terms of high/low, playing from the rough, fairway, as a teeing club.  There's days this past year where I couldn't hit crap but could hit that damn club and figure I shoudl just lay up to my UW yardage.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I don't work very far from the 2nd Swing store that just opened in the DFW area.  I'm going to drop by there after work today and try a 19* and 21* just to see which one is closer to what I want in ball flight.  I want something to land high and soft, so my mind is leaning towards the 21* before testing.  

WITB

21* is just awesome for me. 9x shaft. Hits it super high. I had the 19* and it went too far and too low for what I wanted. Kind of a tough club to experiment with if you don't have a tour truck at your disposal since the heads are not adjustable and fairway shafts are WAY more expensive than hybrid shafts. I got lucky with mine. I actually bought it used from 2nd Swing. I can't imagine that the person that traded it in got good trade in value for it with the Ventus, but I'll take it. 

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

14 hours ago, halfsumo said:

21* is just awesome for me. 9x shaft. Hits it super high. I had the 19* and it went too far and too low for what I wanted. Kind of a tough club to experiment with if you don't have a tour truck at your disposal since the heads are not adjustable and fairway shafts are WAY more expensive than hybrid shafts. I got lucky with mine. I actually bought it used from 2nd Swing. I can't imagine that the person that traded it in got good trade in value for it with the Ventus, but I'll take it. 

The lack of ability to test this out with different shafts is what’s making this difficult for me. I don’t get along with the Hzrdus black shaft at all, so everything comes out low and low spin.

There wasn’t much difference in spin and launch between the 19° and 21° with the Hzrdus Black shaft at all, except for the 21° did go a bit higher, and carry was about the same between the 2. 

I’m 90% sure I’m going to get the 21° head with some sort of mid launch shaft, like the Rogue White, so something similar in the 80g range just so I can get something that wants to go high and hold some greens a bit easier. 

WITB

First nine with the UW today and it performed. My swing was off but I was hitting this solidish. Also judged it in a punch out situation sitting on pine needles and hit a nice 170 stingy draw back into the fairway

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Back in the bag, hopefully this one doesn't rust on me

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Not sure how long I've had this in the bag, but it sure has been worth the investment.  Had 267 left over a tallish tree to a middle pin out of some wiry rough, and even though it didn't hit the green, I had a left side front edge chip for eagle.  It'd normally be a layup or fading the 4w/3w that probably wouldn't hold the green anyway.

I find I'm using this out of junk from a 4i distance when all I can realistically achieve would be a 7i hack at it.  Plenty of height when called for, but can also rope a stinger off the tee.

I was looking at the Titleist TSR 7w, but can't see what I'd gain that the UW hasn't provided.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

A bunch of tour issue heads as well as a few 23* heads have popped up on ebay recently.

Pretty much confirms there will be a new Apex UW out soon.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Anybody play 19 & 21 degree UW’s? I absolutely love my 21 degree with ventus red 9X tipped 2” at 40.5”. I just bought a 19 degree off of a great seller on classifieds and it has an untipped ventus red 8TX in it at 41.5” I believe. I just don’t get along with 3 woods and the 17 degree uw was too low spin for me. I cut my driver if I have it back off my driver but still get it down there enough. Worried they will be too close but we’ll see!

On 2/21/2023 at 1:27 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

A bunch of tour issue heads as well as a few 23* heads have popped up on ebay recently.

Pretty much confirms there will be a new Apex UW out soon.

This is what i was thinking too, but the way prices are trending I'm not sold on the Tech being that much of an improvement for what i am needing a 21* to accomplish. So far very pleased with the 21* perfect gap between the 5w & 4H.

SIM 10.5

Ai SMOKE TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

24 minutes ago, texcellence86 said:

This is what i was thinking too, but the way prices are trending I'm not sold on the Tech being that much of an improvement for what i am needing a 21* to accomplish. So far very pleased with the 21* perfect gap between the 5w & 4H.

IMO in the smaller fairway wood and hybrid heads there's only so much they can do and everything post 2018 is pretty good. The Mavrik line is still fantastic for example. But, some people werent sure if there would be a new Apex UW.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC