Callaway UW

copegolfer

On 8/19/2022 at 7:45 AM, guymsullaway said:

ok - so need some input.

Started out with the 19* UW with the stock RDX Black Smoke in 80g 6.5 flex.  Love it - no problem hitting it.  Now, i hated my 3 wood, so i went a got the 17* and the 21* with the same shaft.  Love the 21*, but find that I just dont carry the 17* as far as i would expect - just seems that it doesnt spin enough.  Anyone else seen this with the 17*?  Any thoughts on a different shaft?  Was thinking something a little more mid launch/mid spin might fit the bill here for me....or maybe stepping down to a 6.0 flex in the same shaft?  Or adding a 1/2" extension?  i just really dont know....

I kept my fairway shaft (UST Proforce V2 7F5) and it is working great in the 17* UW. I never got along with HZRDUS Smoke shafts and this classic gets the job done. I tipped it 1.5” for the previous build and did not change that, but I did trim the butt down to 41” playing length (I play all my clubs a tad short). The Proforce V2 is always worth a shot - very neutral mid/mid profile and stable.

07E9D193-24FE-4D50-BA0D-CADD264B1043.jpeg

Edited by RolandofGilead
  • Like 2

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

5 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I kept my fairway shaft (UST Proforce V2 7F5) and it is working great in the 17* UW. I never got along with HZRDUS Smoke shafts and this classic gets the job done. I tipped it 1.5” for the previous build and did not change that, but I did trim the butt down to 41” playing length (I play all my clubs a tad short). The Proforce V2 is always worth a shot - very neutral mid/mid profile and stable.

07E9D193-24FE-4D50-BA0D-CADD264B1043.jpeg

What’s the raw shaft length (end to end) before putting in the head to play 41”?

8 minutes ago, TOgolf said:

What’s the raw shaft length (end to end) before putting in the head to play 41”?

Can’t help you there - I did not measure when it was disassembled.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

• 3 weeks later...

I finally hit the UW but the shaft was too light, it was the standard Hazardus shaft, I think 65 gr? In my 3-wood I play a 80 gr shaft and am thinking that I would prefer the same weight, or even a bit heavier (85)? As I do not have the possibility to test different weights, I ask the experts here: do you play a shaft similar to the one in your 3-wood, or did you go even heavier? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Nic1972 said:

I finally hit the UW but the shaft was too light, it was the standard Hazardus shaft, I think 65 gr? In my 3-wood I play a 80 gr shaft and am thinking that I would prefer the same weight, or even a bit heavier (85)? As I do not have the possibility to test different weights, I ask the experts here: do you play a shaft similar to the one in your 3-wood, or did you go even heavier? Thanks.

Going by head weights the 19* model should be fine with a 70g range shaft for most people and 80g in the 21* - just like a 5w and 7w. If you go shorter at all in length by about .5" or more you may want to go 80g in both or find a heavier 80g-class-shaft by about 5g or so thats pushing 90g. 90g .335 shafts are hard to find.

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

4 hours ago, Nic1972 said:

I've always played heavier.  My previous trusty decade+ old hybrid I had prior to this one had a nunchuk shaft in it, that was going to be put into the UW.  After hitting the hzrdus I just stuck with it, the thing hits straight, high nukes with that shaft and felt great so I decided to stick with it, but yeah generally I seem to always try and use a heavier shaft in the hybrid. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a new experiment with this club. I have been looking for a club between my 3 wood (stealth plus 14.25*) and my u85 4 iron. Looking for a driving iron style club with forgiveness and decided to go with the 17* apex uw cut to 40.25" and D4 swingweight. I have a 80 TX kai'li white. Going to see how this goes. Anyone else ever think of going this route?

• Like 1

So does the 21* play more like a 5w or 7w for folks? Stuck between that and a sub70 7w to fill a gap in my bag to follow my rouge ls 4w. I wish there was the new AV blue in 85g to put in there. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

16 hours ago, wayward_points said:

So I have a new experiment with this club. I have been looking for a club between my 3 wood (stealth plus 14.25*) and my u85 4 iron. Looking for a driving iron style club with forgiveness and decided to go with the 17* apex uw cut to 40.25" and D4 swingweight. I have a 80 TX kai'li white. Going to see how this goes. Anyone else ever think of going this route?

Honestly, after owning many UWs the 17 degree is probably going to be a lot closer to your 3 wood then providing a gap between the 3 wood and u85 4 iron.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

?

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

7 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

So does the 21* play more like a 5w or 7w for folks? Stuck between that and a sub70 7w to fill a gap in my bag to follow my rouge ls 4w. I wish there was the new AV blue in 85g to put in there. 

Definitely for me. I game a 17 and 21 and 21 performs exactly like my old 5 did in terms of carry distance but just so much easier to hit straight. The 5w just launch so high it was hard for me to keep on line. The UW with its neutral weight and address has been such a weapon on par 5s going for 2 and fits that 235-240 gap for me that always been a nuisance. 

21 hours ago, wayward_points said:

I have a similar gap having a zx 4i utility as my longest iron and I can tell you the 17 does play more like a 3 wood. I know it doesn’t make sense in terms of loft but you’ll be better off with the 21* to fill that gap between 3w and 4i. The UWs are hot!

Depends somewhat on what playing length you play them at.

I play mine 3/4” short with Diamana ZF 70’s and play my 21* for 185-200 and my 17* for 205-220.

I was hitting both too long for my gaps at stock length.

3w is right around 235-245 for me and driver about 255-265

6i is my longest iron (PXG Gen4 0311XP) so it’s the same loft and length as my old 5i and it gaps perfectly with the 21* UW.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, wayward_points said:

I would go with the 19* or 21* instead of the 17*.  I had the 17*, but it was more like a 3 wood for me than a 4 wood.  I had a harder time launching it than I thought I would.  I switched to a PING G425 5 wood from the 17* UW and the PING works better for me.  I really don't launch the ball that high with my woods, so the 17.5* 5 wood gives me the launch I need.  I'm thinking of trying out the 21* UW as an option instead of my 19* 3 hybrid.  

Based on your shaft choice, you swing much faster than me, so the 17* might workout fine for you....I don't think I could elevate that shaft and head combo you're going with off a tee 😂 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

8 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I would go with the 19* or 21* instead of the 17*.  I had the 17*, but it was more like a 3 wood for me than a 4 wood.  I had a harder time launching it than I thought I would.  I switched to a PING G425 5 wood from the 17* UW and the PING works better for me.  I really don't launch the ball that high with my woods, so the 17.5* 5 wood gives me the launch I need.  I'm thinking of trying out the 21* UW as an option instead of my 19* 3 hybrid.  

Based on your shaft choice, you swing much faster than me, so the 17* might workout fine for you....I don't think I could elevate that shaft and head combo you're going with off a tee 😂 

Shaft choice makes a big difference with the UW and even more so with the 17*.  

I hated it with the RDX Black but liked it with a IZ and love it with the ZF.

It wants to fly low but with a higher launch shaft it came alive for my swing.

I have always played fairway woods and prefer them over long irons or hybrids, but the UW is a special club and it’s worth trying to find a shaft that fits your swing.

12 hours ago, Radeon962 said:

Shaft choice makes a big difference with the UW and even more so with the 17*.  

I hated it with the RDX Black but liked it with a IZ and love it with the ZF.

It wants to fly low but with a higher launch shaft it came alive for my swing.

I have always played fairway woods and prefer them over long irons or hybrids, but the UW is a special club and it’s worth trying to find a shaft that fits your swing.

I went through a few different shafts in the 17* and just could find the right mid launch shaft for me.  They all worked well off the tee, but I couldn't find the right combo for the shots off the deck.  I did like the UW a lot when I had it, but the 17* just didn't fit my needs the way I thought it would.  The 21* is a club that I'm seriously considering to replace my 19* Super Hybrid.  I love the way the UW sets up behind the ball.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 9/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, Nic1972 said:

I tend to go heavier in shafts and found that one of the stock options with a bit of customisation goes alright. 

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

Plays like a 6w in that 3i-4i spot with lots of height, consistent spin and an extra gear when I need it.

• Thanks 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

Is there anyone who has tested the 17* and the 19* extensively and can compare the two?

Is the 17* more like a 3W and the 19* more like a 5W?

I’ve got a 21* Hybrid 4 that I really like (Cally Rogue ST Max OS), and am looking to replace my 3W and try a different option between Hybrid and Driver. I just find I don’t pull the 3W out of the bag more than probably once per round, and just don’t practice with it enough to really trust it or hit it well.

Hoping this UW performs more like my Hybrid, and just don’t want another club that’s tough to manage/hit that I won’t trust to pull out of the bag.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Has anyone has success with the UW after failing to find consistency with a 3w, 4w, or 5w? 

I'm sick and tired of trying to make a fairway wood work. My driver is fine, but fairway woods never gave me any meaningful improvement in accuracy off the tee.

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

55 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Has anyone has success with the UW after failing to find consistency with a 3w, 4w, or 5w? 

I'm sick and tired of trying to make a fairway wood work. My driver is fine, but fairway woods never gave me any meaningful improvement in accuracy off the tee.

I find the UW to be way more consistent than my previous fairway woods (OG SIM Ti), although the peak distances were slightly longer with them.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the shorter length, head profile, etc. but I don't see the UW leaving my bag for a long time.

• Like 1

I was chatting with a buddy last night about clubs.  I revamped my bag last year and the UW was the last to make it, but I was mentioning that I think this is the most impactful golf club I've played with in a long time.  It's been a reliable fairway finder,  even crazy mishits the thing just flies.  I also don't recall hitting so many greens in two on par 5s prior to this club.   It's long with a regular swing, you can choke up on it and it still works, you can hit a 3/4 shot and it still works.  It's great out of the rough and fairway bunkers.  It's one of the most versitle clubs out there I think. Despite it not being as long as my 3w, it's still goes far enough to where it's rendeded my 3w almost irrelevant.  I almost think I can count on one hand how many times my 3w has come out since putting this club in the bag.  I know I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I'm very seriously considering dropping the 3w and grabbing changing out the 19 for the 17/21 giving me some more options with the club. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 minutes ago, wsupjs said:

I find the UW to be way more consistent than my previous fairway woods (OG SIM Ti), although the peak distances were slightly longer with them.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the shorter length, head profile, etc. but I don't see the UW leaving my bag for a long time.

for me it was a hook machine. I know it was lie angle but could not find anyone to bend it.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

4 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I was chatting with a buddy last night about clubs.  I revamped my bag last year and the UW was the last to make it, but I was mentioning that I think this is the most impactful golf club I've played with in a long time.  It's been a reliable fairway finder,  even crazy mishits the thing just flies.  I also don't recall hitting so many greens in two on par 5s prior to this club.   It's long with a regular swing, you can choke up on it and it still works, you can hit a 3/4 shot and it still works.  It's great out of the rough and fairway bunkers.  It's one of the most versitle clubs out there I think. Despite it not being as long as my 3w, it's still goes far enough to where it's rendeded my 3w almost irrelevant.  I almost think I can count on one hand how many times my 3w has come out since putting this club in the bag.  I know I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I'm very seriously considering dropping the 3w and grabbing changing out the 19 for the 17/21 giving me some more options with the club. 

This really helps MountainKing…that’s exactly the type of club I’m looking for.

The 3W should be a safety option on tight Par 4’s and Par 5’s, and ideally be able to hit off the deck for 2nd shots on long Par 5’s, but I don’t have enough practice time, or enough reps on the course with my 3W to make either option consistent and reliable.

Really hoping the 19* UW can fill that role, because right now I’m using my 21* Hybrid 4 in those situations over the 3W, but it’s obviously not that long.

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

Definitely majority of people on this thread and myself all have rave things to say about this club. I do not carry a fw anymore as I carry a 17 and 21 respectively 

8 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Is there anyone who has tested the 17* and the 19* extensively and can compare the two?

Is the 17* more like a 3W and the 19* more like a 5W?

I’ve got a 21* Hybrid 4 that I really like (Cally Rogue ST Max OS), and am looking to replace my 3W and try a different option between Hybrid and Driver. I just find I don’t pull the 3W out of the bag more than probably once per round, and just don’t practice with it enough to really trust it or hit it well.

Hoping this UW performs more like my Hybrid, and just don’t want another club that’s tough to manage/hit that I won’t trust to pull out of the bag.

I have the 17 and 21 and while the 17 is easier and more consistent than my 3 wood it’s not as easier to hit than my 21 just due to less loft. So you can’t compare the 17 to your hybrid cause of the loft but with the 21, most definitely 

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Couldn’t have said it better. I definitely don’t know when I’ve hit more par 5s in 2 with my 21 UW. It’s suck a weapon

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RCGA said:

I've always been pretty decent with my fairway woods off the tee and off the deck.  That being said, the UW is like an easy button when it comes to the fairway wood spot in my bag.  It's every bit as long as my SIM Ti but I never get the random left hook ball with it.  For the most part the SIM is pretty consistent but sometimes I catch it and it draws off line and gets me into trouble.  The UW hasn't ever done that either off the tee or in the fairway.  I actually wish Callaway would make this exact club in a 15* loft but the 17* UW absolutely gets the job done for me.

3 hours ago, Orange Hog said:

I've always been pretty decent with my fairway woods off the tee and off the deck.  That being said, the UW is like an easy button when it comes to the fairway wood spot in my bag.  It's every bit as long as my SIM Ti but I never get the random left hook ball with it.  For the most part the SIM is pretty consistent but sometimes I catch it and it draws off line and gets me into trouble.  The UW hasn't ever done that either off the tee or in the fairway.  I actually wish Callaway would make this exact club in a 15* loft but the 17* UW absolutely gets the job done for me.

Find somebody reputable to measure the loft and face angle of your UW 17°. I would borderline guarantee the true loft of that sucker is somewhere very close to 15°. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glock917 said:

I have the 17 and 21 and while the 17 is easier and more consistent than my 3 wood it’s not as easier to hit than my 21 just due to less loft. So you can’t compare the 17 to your hybrid cause of the loft but with the 21, most definitely 

Makes sense, definitely good to know…thanks.

From reading the comments on this thread I ordered the 19* instead of the 17*. Don’t want anything that’s even remotely comparable to the difficulty of hitting a 3W since I just don’t have time to put in the reps it takes to hit that type of club well.

We’ll see how it goes…fingers crossed for a quick delivery!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, supafield said:

This thread helped me out a lot, thought I'd put my experience up.

Bought a 21 degree with the stock hzrdus shaft in 80 grams and it was a revolution for my game.

I'm a 11 HCP, that punches above weight with my irons, and am relatively awful with a Driver/Fairway wood in hand. Tend to lose longer clubs right, despite being a drawer of the ball 6 iron and down. I've had a love hate relationship with hybrids, but never like that I feel like I need a separate swing feel for 1 club in my bag. The only other long club I've ever liked in my bag was a TSi2 five wood. I struggled with 3 woods, can nuke them, but dispersion gets so wide, it's not worth it.

I don't know why the UW was so easy to hit for me, as I said I lose the ball right on longer clubs, I have such an easier time controlling the clubface of the UW's. They're unbelievably hot off the centre, but maintain speed off centre better than most clubs I own. My dispersion at the distance is the best it's ever been.  I played the TSi2 5 wood at 18 degree about 240-245 total. My 21 UW is 225-235.

Obviously I ran out and bought the 17, again with the stock shaft.... it was again super hot, but I couldn't get any height out of it. I took an old GD IZ driver shaft and had it cut/tipped which helped a little. But then I tweaked my backswing with the UW's and started seeing much better ball flight on both. I probably unnecessarily cut up a GD IZ, but it was surplus haha. I get about 250 out of the 17, but have a couple that have rolled out to 270.... My driver tops out at 270-280. The 4 wood (Stealth) I played in the past generally gave me 260/265.

Both for me play relatively neutral ball flight, unusual I hit them too high, my one knock on them is that they're quite low spin, maybe overly so at times. I would have a hard time flying and holding a green. I can knock 20 yards off each with a bit of an open stance fade that spins more and can hold greens. I likely would have benefitted from being fit... putting something spinnier in the 21.

All in all, they are the favourite club I've purchased maybe ever. I have no regrets. I've struggled with long game, and right misses. I have no idea why, but I hit these straight, long and with little spin. Highly recommend others trying. If you really want to understand how much I struggle with the right side in my long game, my driver is a G425 SFT.... I play relatively straight with about 20 yards of fade/slice correction.

So for you the stock shaft worked in the 21?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV