Golf-specific exercise?

bobfoster

It is already getting cold here in the north. Other than a couple of golf vacations, my season is mostly over for the year. 

I commonly work out in the winter. Have a small gym in a spare bedroom - basic weights and cardio (used to run marathons, but that gets kind of hard on the knees over time). But have also done yoga off and on for years. This winter experimenting with the latest "golf yoga" (some form of it has been around for a while - in fact, more than one pro does it - and it has advanced ... sports medicine and exercise has gotten quite good with science). I'm getting older, and muscle mass (weight training) is becoming a lot less important than flexibility. For those that that have never tried it, yoga is actually astounding. Doesn't seem like you're doing much, but is actually a serious workout. Believe it or not, you sweat. Really low impact on the body (80 and 90 year olds do it). Really liking the latest iterations of golf yoga.

Got me wondering. I know a lot of men and women on WRX are actual athletes, many that play multiple sports, so they are no strangers to gyms. But these days there are workout regimens tuned to particular sports (baseball players work out differently than football players, or soccer players, or golfers). Anyone here do golf-specific exercise? If so, what?

FYI - this is the yoga I am messing with right now (and it is seriously, almost surprisingly good - I'm doing two 45 minute sessions a week - it is boring to watch, and boring to do 😞, but if you watch all the way through, you'll get why it might really improve your game):

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

About 7-8 years ago I started doing some yoga. Didn't go to a teacher, just grabbed one of the wife's DVDs and gave it a try. I liked it, but I think it contributed to the bulging disc in my back that I eventually got. I think it's easy to over-do a move in yoga, or do it incorrectly and hurt yourself if you are not careful. The fact that I was trying to do it on my own probably caused me to do something wrong, and back injury. 

But that's kinda my point. I think if done right and under the guidance of a good teacher, yoga can be awesome for your golf game. I also think you're one wrong move away from messing yourself up too. I have a couple other friends that were absolute yoga freaks. One even taught yoga at a high level, and both of them eventually ended up with bad back injuries. 

If it works for you, great. I think I will stick to normal stretching and safer core exercises, but that's just my experience. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

8 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I'm getting older, and muscle mass (weight training) is becoming a lot less important than flexibility. 

Edited by Rosco1216

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Bob- science and health says opposite actually. Muscle mass and strength is much more important to maintain as best we can as we age. For the most part, Flexibility can always be improved or maintained. Muscle mass and strength, however, obviously becomes more difficult to gain or maintain as we age. 

• Like 3

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Flexibility without the muscle strength to support the range of motion is a recipe for injury.  A lot of standard forced stretches can produce this condition.  I recommend getting some muscle activation technique done.  M.A.T. has been a life changer for me.  I learned a number of isometric stretches that seem to help me a lot when I am not too lazy to do them...

I think any combo above is decent. The one thing I always add to any fitness question is compound lifting. Weight doesn't matter but getting your muscles to fire in those compounds is similar to a swing in that you have different parts firing at different speeds doing different things.

1 hour ago, Warrior42111 said:

I think any combo above is decent. The one thing I always add to any fitness question is compound lifting. Weight doesn't matter but getting your muscles to fire in those compounds is similar to a swing in that you have different parts firing at different speeds doing different things.

That is kind of interesting. Hadn't occurred to me.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Warrior42111 said:

Can you elaborate more on these particular compound movements? A push up, bench press and bent over row are all compound movements and I don’t see the different parts, firing at different speeds aspect there… Do you possibly mean ‘Olympic lifts’? 

50 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Can you elaborate more on these particular compound movements? A push up, bench press and bent over row are all compound movements and I don’t see the different parts, firing at different speeds aspect there… Do you possibly mean ‘Olympic lifts’? 

even a push up has three different muscle groups working together, but squats or deadlifts would be great examples. Try a free weight squat if you never have before, even with an empty bar, and note how tough it is to balance, and how you feel glutes, back, core all working to stabilise. Will it help your golf? Can't possibly hurt.

• Like 1

I don't do golf specific exercises but I do a lot of exercises that transfer over to golf, simple compound lifts, rotational strength work, posterior chain work, pulling movements off the ground, lots of rehab work from previous injuries, etc

Being flexible definitely helps but there comes a point where being too flexible can be a hindrance if you don't have the strength to get the club moving from and through those positions.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Studies have shown that static stretching before an activity  ( holding a stretch for 30 seconds) is neither effective at preventing injury or improving performance. Static stretching does have its place after an activity , but one should emphasize DYNAMIC stretching if your goal is increased performance . 
After the age of of 30, it has been estimated that you lose 3% of muscle mass each decade . This muscle loss accelerates after the age of 60. But the good news is that this loss can be slowed down or actually reversed through resistance training . Does that mean that you need to do heavy weight training . Definitely NOT. As I have aged , I have become more concerned about injuries caused by heavier weights. My re sistance workouts now emphasize using body weight  and elastic bands as resistance . As examples I do push-ups , pull-ups  for my upper body , pistols  and wall sits for my legs and prone cobras ,locusts and dragon flags for my core . I also add in some  plyometric speed training specific for golf and some balance exercises .
And watch your diet. It is amazing how we as Americans have devolved  into being overweight .  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, milesgiles said:

even a push up has three different muscle groups working together, but squats or deadlifts would be great examples. Try a free weight squat if you never have before, even with an empty bar, and note how tough it is to balance, and how you feel glutes, back, core all working to stabilise. Will it help your golf? Can't possibly hurt.

Oh yeah, I was in the fitness/sports performance industry for many years. Sold my company about 7yrs. ago. Any movement that incorporates more than one joint and more than one muscle group is considered a compound movement. I’ve done countless front and back squats (still do). And you are right. When performed properly, one of the best exercises one can do. I asked the question of Warrior above because his comment didn’t make sense to me and was just looking for some clarification. 

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Oh yeah, I was in the fitness/sports performance industry for many years. Sold my company about 7yrs. ago. Any movement that incorporates more than one joint and more than one muscle group is considered a compound movement. I’ve done countless front and back squats (still do). And you are right. When performed properly, one of the best exercises one can do. I asked the question of Warrior above because his comment didn’t make sense to me and was just looking for some clarification. 

I see what you are saying. I equate Olympic lifts to compound movements. For golf I think those lifts where upper body, core, and lower body are all activated really relate to the golf swing

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warrior42111 said:

I see what you are saying. I equate Olympic lifts to compound movements. For golf I think those lifts where upper body, core, and lower body are all activated really relate to the golf swing

I would not get involved with olympic lifting if you are trying to get fitter for golf. Too much risk for too little reward even in the very unlikely event you have access to an excellent coach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I would not get involved with olympic lifting if you are trying to get fitter for golf. Too much risk for too little reward even in the very unlikely event you have access to an excellent coach.

I'm not advocating heavy weight for it. That why I tend to say compound lifts, often olympic is equated with lots of weight. Even as a big guy I'll do lightweight dumbbell snatches as an example. Just getting all the muscle groups firing is what I am attempting.

Also yes you need proper form. I remember back in the day was at a football combine (American) and some kid was bouncing the weights on a Bench off is sternum. Cracked it right then and there and lost all his offers.

Edited by Warrior42111

1 hour ago, Warrior42111 said:

I'm not advocating heavy weight for it. That why I tend to say compound lifts, often olympic is equated with lots of weight. Even as a big guy I'll do lightweight dumbbell snatches as an example. Just getting all the muscle groups firing is what I am attempting.

Also yes you need proper form. I remember back in the day was at a football combine (American) and some kid was bouncing the weights on a Bench off is sternum. Cracked it right then and there and lost all his offers.

compound lifts simply mean multi joint. 

Youd be far better off to get decently strong at the conventional powerlifts than even attempting O lifts with light weights. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, Rosco1216 said:

Bob- science and health says opposite actually. Muscle mass and strength is much more important to maintain as best we can as we age. For the most part, Flexibility can always be improved or maintained. Muscle mass and strength, however, obviously becomes more difficult to gain or maintain as we age. 

This is so important I'm quoting it to give it more visibility.  Forget golf, OP's thinking (not to pick on him) is so harmful to living a quality life as we age.  

Edited by jut111
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Warrior42111 said:

But you have to really acknowledge what heavy is.  A number of people will say a 200lb squat is heavy, simply because, well, it seems heavy.  But in reality, anything less than 2x bodyweight is not a heavy squat at all.  Need to do it right(Starting Strength is a great resource for proper form), but it's a long time before anyone gets anywhere that will "hurt" the golf swing.  People seem to think a 55" chest and 24 inch pythons are just around the corner with a good barbell program.  No, and if you are worried about that, I can just about guarantee you are so far away from it I would almost wager you'll never reach that point.

Not to mention, there is the fact that the earlier you can squat/do other lifts at good weights, the more likely you don't end up in your 70s needing help to get off the throne.  There are benefits beyond golf to think about. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jut111 said:

This is so important I'm quoting it to give it more visibility.  Forget golf, OP's thinking (not to pick on him) is so harmful to living a quality life as we age.  

It is unfortunate that so many men think that as they get older and it gets more difficult to maintain strength and muscle that it means it’s less important and it’s natural to lose it so they stop trying to keep it. 

The more muscle/strength someone keeps longer and later in life, the better quality of life physically they will be able to enjoy. 

You want to look and feel like 10-15-20 years younger by the time you’re 50 or 60? Keep working to maintain strength, muscle, testosterone levels as long as possible. 

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 1

Piretti Savona 

2 minutes ago, jut111 said:

Another common axiom that doesn't help.  Good luck getting "too bulky".  

Lol yes. That takes me back to my early days in the industry. The individuals that were worried that they would get too “bulky”. I would laugh to myself and think ‘the odds of you looking like that even if you wanted to are slim to none!’ Haha

6 hours ago, milesgiles said:

As a former Olympic style weightlifter, I would say don't do it

Most of our training revolved around front squats, heavy bent rows,  hi pulls ,rack supports and push presses

That is what builds the foundation that allows you to work on speed and form in the actual lifts

Not the best way to help your golf game and a good way to get hurt without proper coaching