Tiger playing in 22?

ppal

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Man, not sure if CW should take on golf as a job.

Thats like being Einsteins kid and taking on Physics.

Who knows?

My kids went to the same high school as the kids of an iconic HoF NFL player. Neither of the boys could break the starting lineup. Lots of pressure being compared to a legend (and always falling short)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Man, not sure if CW should take on golf as a job.

Thats like being Einsteins kid and taking on Physics.

Who knows?

Btw, the bike 🚴 rollers are dope! I got them in this little hallway so I can’t fall! 🤣 But gettin pretty good. I just jump on and listen to

i highly doubt Charlie will, Tigers admittedly is pretty protective of him following his tour path. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Maybe not everyday.  However, how many of those walkers need a finely tuned professional level of play four days in a row where one little mishit on the back nine can cost you the tournament? 

You got me, I just checked and none of those 80 year-olds even qualified for the Masters 😜

The conversation was about Tiger's ability to even walk the course

On 12/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, m d g said:

My kids went to the same high school as the kids of an iconic HoF NFL player. Neither of the boys could break the starting lineup. Lots of pressure being compared to a legend (and always falling short)...

Absolutely. Joe Montana’s son Nick went to a HS close to my house. Well until Joe pulled Nick out and transferred him after it was determined he wouldn’t be the varsity starter. I thought the pressure that kid faced must have been immense. Knowing that he would always be compared to his dad, and never be anywhere near as good/successful… He shoulda stuck with baseball! Haha 

20 hours ago, dmbolp said:

You got me, I just checked and none of those 80 year-olds even qualified for the Masters 😜

The conversation was about Tiger's ability to even walk the course

This is what you quoted and agreed with, "I think people are overplaying the physicality of walking. I play a couple of very hilly courses."

I certainly haven't questioned his ability to walk a golf course and I don't think many here have.  The conversation is if walking four days with his new injuries will impact his quality of play over four days in tournament conditions.

Perhaps I should be more precise in saying that comparing fat, middle-aged men walking hilly courses a couple of days a week to the level of walking and play of a PGA Tour player is ridiculous.

That said, Go Tiger!  (and would love to see Monahan approve a cart for Tiger since walking is no big deal)

• GwrxMod changed the title to Tiger playing in 22?

“I couldn’t walk this golf course even right now, and it’s flat,” Woods said. “I don’t have the endurance. My leg is not quite right yet and it’s going to take time. I told you in the Bahamas, I’m a long way, way from playing tournament golf. This is hit, hop in a cart and move about my business just like I would at Medalist. Being able to play tournament golf and being able to recover, practice and train and hit balls after a round and do all of the things that I need to be at a high level, I’m a long way away from that.”

https://news.tigerwoods.com/what-we-saw-and-heard-in-tiger-woods-first-public-round-back-at-the-pnc-championship/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

“I couldn’t walk this golf course even right now, and it’s flat,” Woods said. “I don’t have the endurance. My leg is not quite right yet and it’s going to take time. I told you in the Bahamas, I’m a long way, way from playing tournament golf. This is hit, hop in a cart and move about my business just like I would at Medalist. Being able to play tournament golf and being able to recover, practice and train and hit balls after a round and do all of the things that I need to be at a high level, I’m a long way away from that.”

https://news.tigerwoods.com/what-we-saw-and-heard-in-tiger-woods-first-public-round-back-at-the-pnc-championship/

He might be a long way from tournament golf but from what I've seen today, it's going to happen. And if Tiger can walk 4 rounds he's going to win again. It's just a matter of time. Phil is 5 years older he won a major this year.

Tiger still has time...

Edited by Mustard_Tiger

On 12/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, m d g said:

All that matters is if Charlie actually wants to pursue it, and if he has the game.

Tiger is definitely not pushing him into it.

but as of now Charlie seems to love playing golf and he clearly has talent. Who are we to stop him?

Of course the odds are against him playing on Tour, but it’s his choice if he wants to try. 

Those kids in your story obviously had no talent or no desire to play.

Charlie could make a high school golf team right now. And the second his body matures a little more, he’ll be at the college golf level.

Edited by straightshot7

10 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

All that matters is if Charlie actually wants to pursue it, and if he has the game.

Tiger is definitely not pushing him into it.

but as of now Charlie seems to love playing golf and he clearly has talent. Who are we to stop him?

Of course the odds are against him playing on Tour, but it’s his choice if he wants to try. 

Those kids in your story obviously had no talent or no desire to play.

Charlie could make a high school golf team right now. And the second his body matures a little more, he’ll be at the college golf level.

My post was not about talent, it was about expectations. Even if Charlie wins a few majors he will compare unfavorably with his father...

But if he enjoys it, I'm not one to stop him...

15 minutes ago, m d g said:

My post was not about talent, it was about expectations. Even if Charlie wins a few majors he will compare unfavorably with his father...

If CW is good enough to “win a few majors” that would be awesome. Assuming *he know how great that is and not disappointing at all. 

I think he will know by the time he’s 16 or so just how good his game stacks up and if he should pursue or not. 

1 hour ago, m d g said:

My point was that if a kid can’t break into the starting lineup of a high school football team, it’s not because of pressure of being compared to an all time great.

It’s because they must not be athletic or they have little to not desire to play. Unless we are talking about Mater Dei and they are stuck behind the #1 QB in the country.

some children of all time greats have game. Some do not. 

charlie has the swing and the game. He’s an elite player for his age.

but I agree the media attention and pressure could affect him negatively later on. 

Edited by straightshot7

3 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

It’s because they must not be athletic or they have little to not desire to play. Unless we are talking about Mater Dei and they are stuck behind the #1 QB in the country.

It was De La Salle and I don't think they fit the system there...

Many kids of famous athletes have 'game,' but it is very rare (Bonds, Griffey) that their game exceeds the parents'.

If they don't pass up mom or dad, even if they do great things, they will be compared negatively.

Which is fine if they know what they're getting into...

11 minutes ago, m d g said:

It was De La Salle and I don't think they fit the system there...

Many kids of famous athletes have 'game,' but it is very rare (Bonds, Griffey) that their game exceeds the parents'.

If they don't pass up mom or dad, even if they do great things, they will be compared negatively.

Which is fine if they know what they're getting into...

I agree. Exceeding the parent is a whole different story.

I just think it is more so because the odds of anyone being as good as a legendary player is minuscule. Whether they are a child of the legend or not. 

john Daly jr and Charlie woods both seem to be really passionate about the game and good at it.

maybe it’s easier in an individual game like golf, where you can play your own game and not deal with the politics of a team environment. 

but of course I would wager that neither exceeds their dad’s records. 

2 hours ago, GreenCoat said:

Young Woods is coming along nicely.  Is Dad his one and only coach? 

Tiger said he is only a Dad to him, not a coach. I read an article in golf magazine that Charlie went and took a lesson from Faxton on putting so I think Tiger is blowing some smoke when he says he didn’t help him with his swing or others. Charlie takes it back on plane and is in a nice position at top, you have to be taught that. 

Edited by Redjeep83

5 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

Tiger said he is only a Dad to him, not a coach. I read an article in golf magazine that Charlie went and took a lesson from Faxton on putting so I think Tiger is blowing some smoke when he says he didn’t help him with his swing or others. Charlie takes it back on plane and is in a nice position at top, you have to be taught that. 

Comment direct from Tiger is JT's dad is swing coach.

9 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Comment direct from Tiger is JT's dad is swing coach.

yea, I’ve heard him say JT’s dad has given him a few tips but it’s mostly all natural. I’m not sure I fully buy that, his swing is too fundamentally good especially for being 12

Edited by Redjeep83

1 minute ago, Redjeep83 said:

yea, I’ve heard him say JT’s dad has given him a few tips but it’s mostly all natural. I’m not sure I fully buy that, his swing is too good for 12

Agree. Kid mimics in many ways, don't he? Tiger talks perfect and executes perfect. He says 'happy to be walking, can retire' but he's grinding every day to get back to form. Same with dad role. 'I'm not coach' but it's probably ' Charlie WTF?' Tiger's stature grows here. I'm in awe.

• 4 weeks later...

“Tiger Woods’ next start? Here’s what one of his close friends thinks”

“I don’t see it in the next 12 months,” Cook told Golf Channel. “I think next time we see him will be [at the PNC Championship] next year [in 2022]. I don’t think his body will be physically ready. He can’t train the way he’s going to want to train.”

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-next-start-what-close-friend-thinks/?amp=1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

“Tiger Woods’ next start? Here’s what one of his close friends thinks”

“I don’t see it in the next 12 months,” Cook told Golf Channel. “I think next time we see him will be [at the PNC Championship] next year [in 2022]. I don’t think his body will be physically ready. He can’t train the way he’s going to want to train.”

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-next-start-what-close-friend-thinks/?amp=1

WHAT?! So he won’t be teeing it up in The Farmers at Torrey in 16 days?!! Thanks a lot tw_focus!!! 😡 🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:58 AM, Redjeep83 said:

Why does Charlie have a tour quality swing and so many other juniors don’t, lol. I’m thinking he’s getting good advice. 

Lot's of other juniors do have swings as good and some better than him. They just don't have a famous father where they are in front of a camera.

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

WHAT?! So he won’t be teeing it up in The Farmers at Torrey in 16 days?!! Thanks a lot tw_focus!!! 😡🤣

TW and his buddies playin possum but he’s not teeing it up at an event for a long time.

Be cool if he could play St Andrews, even if it’s with the understanding it may be just to get some reps, let the fans see him, and him to play the old course one of the last times, if not the last, he’ll have a chance to. 

No idea whether Tiger will play in 2022, but I will guarantee that he wakes up creaky.  Tournament play, 6-7 miles walking every day, uphill and down, that's a challenge by itself.  As to Charley, his dad is a freak.  Jack was a freak, Joe Montana was a freak, the product of some weird combination of DNA, smarts and determination.  Anyone can spend hours a day hitting sand shots and get really good out of the sand.  Becoming a great sand player requires some innate ability that cannot be learned.

• Like 1