Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Agreed on the stamping — that’s cosmetics— but shaft length is not and I believe that is the point @reider69 is making. If the lofts are the same, I do find a 37 inch club easier to hit consistently than a 38 inch club if the shorter shafted club flies just as high with similar spin. Some of these high-tech face designs, not all of them but some, can do that. It is in the short irons where it does not seem to make any difference. 

Agreed on club length for sure. I don't think anyone would debate shorter is easier. At the end of the day the strengthened lofts do tend to put larger physical loft gaps in the short irons though which I don't love. On the other end of things my dad switched to Ping G425 from T100s this year and despite his swing having a lot of shortcomings, he is able to get around a 6500 yard course pretty well and average around 80 at 65 years old. He is having a better time hitting a little less club into green and in this case he hits them a bit higher with more spin so it's all a win. For me, I'd have no advantage hitting my 8 iron 180. I hit my 7i at a comfortable 180 carry so my gapping works well. I wouldn't want to essentially lose a club in the shorter range because of lofts. For the slightly slower golfer, so long as the spin remains high, I'm all in for them having less club in. My dad has dropped his HC 2 or 3 points since switching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Agreed on the stamping — that’s cosmetics— but shaft length is not and I believe that is the point @reider69 is making. If the lofts are the same, I do find a 37 inch club easier to hit consistently than a 38 inch club if the shorter shafted club flies just as high with similar spin. Some of these high-tech face designs, not all of them but some, can do that. It is in the short irons where it does not seem to make any difference. 

Ok whats to stop you from making up a set of traditional lofts made shorter than standard?

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Ok whats to stop you from making up a set of traditional lofts made shorter than standard?

Not a thing. Then it’s just a question of whether the golfer has the speed to produce the same ball speed, apex and spin with that head. No doubt some can. For the most part, I can. I play my irons 1/4 below standard but at the old Mizuno standard because I saw no reason to change when 5 irons went to 38, I am comfortable at 1 degree upright at the 37.75 length, and carry distance is most consistent. But 1 inch down? Hard to say. I have played with plenty who are getting up in age and are longer than they would be — thanks to their clubs’ design that seems to maximize declining swing speed. God bless ‘em. They’re still playing. 

I think club design can be a factor in how it plays out for individuals. I’m no expert on this, but I think the optimization that occurs is launch angle related to ball speed, as some of these club designs use stronger lofts for more raw ball speed but also launch higher due to thin faces, weighting, etc. For some players there is an optimal matchup in there. How that matches up with launch angles off more traditional clubs, I don’t really know. Or if you converted the high tech clubs to traditional lofts, would they launch to the moon?

I don’t know. I’ve experimented with the hollow heads but not really feeling it. I found more progress in getting quality coaching, really. Forged cavity backs work great if I am swinging well. Now I’m not interested in a hollow head except in my longest iron (4) and I use that for full shots needing 200 yards carry or 3/4 as needed. I don’t play hybrids so to me it is a hybrid replacement and gaps to my 7 wood. I like a 7 wood. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'm not a long hitter ( 150-155 carry 7i ) and I play a very short length increment set of current T200.  I subscribe to the belief that the sole reason we all hit our 9i better than our 5i is simply because it is shorter.  The T200 really surprised with how high the launched in comparison to my previous ZX5, ZX7, MP-18 MMC sets ( those spun a bit too low for me too ).   I was getting almost too much height out of the T200 and bent them a bit stronger, even though they are already very strong lofted.  Hey, why not try to squeak out as much "serviceable yardage" as I can without sacrificing too much in descent angle.   For me, I try to be accurate from 7i-LW.  For 5i and 6i, I just want to be close.  I'm very good if I'm greenside and getting up and down.

That said, I'm going to go with JPX-923 Tours 7-PW for next season, and pair up with either HMP or Forged for 5-6-7 ( Yes 2x 7i ).  The Tour 7i loft will be the same as my current T200 8i.  I want to get a bit more height, a bit steeper descent, and a bit more spin, and don't mind having an extra club to tighten up my scoring yardage spread.  I still plan to re-build that set in very short increment -> there's no going back for me to traditional length clubs.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

12 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Agreed. If I can hit the green with an iron that has a touch more loft and a shaft that is 1 inch shorter, that’s noticeably easier. I don’t hit a lot of full wedge shots anyway, so there is no big change to the short end of the bag. I may end up hitting a 3/4 58 instead of a 3/4 54, it makes no difference. 

So, I may be way off here, but I always thought the short/scoring irons were more “friendly” due to the higher loft.  I still couldn’t hit a 2 iron even if it was 35.25 inches long.  So I understand the favorability for opting to be closer to the ball, but it’s the loft I always thought that was helping more so than shaft length.   As an aside, rant,  I just can’t wrap my ahead around the loft jacking on some of these sets.  More wedges to carry I guess 

I think the loft and length need to be looked at in different ways.

A shorter shaft is generally easier to make centered contact- thus a 9iron is easier to hit in the middle than a 4-iron.

Loft(and CG) with its increased backspin generally results in a straighter shot

With changes in iron design focusing on ballspeed and optimizing launch conditions(backspin and launch angle) the difference in a short vs. long iron can be a little different now than it was in the past.

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9* Tour AD VF6X (Triple Diamond Max incoming)

BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* HXRDUS RDX Blue 60 6.5X (random shaft I had laying around and it has been perfect)                
'24 UW 19* MMT  80X
P-UDI  22* MMT 105X

'24 Apex Pro 5-AW Axiom 125X

SM9 54/10M
SM9 60M

Lots of putters

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10,  Apex UT 23*  

On 8/30/2022 at 11:17 AM, Red4282 said:

Well...there's one factor that many don't consider sometimes, which is the total weight of the head.

If you start shortening a shaft too much, then you need to start adding weight.  (I know that these are old numbers, but this is close)  If you shorten a shaft on a club an inch, then that takes the swingweight down roughly 6 points.  So take a "standard 8 iron" of 36.5", and you shorten it to 35.5", then the SW goes down 6 points from a D2/3 to a C6/7.  In order to counteract the act of shortening a shaft down 1", you will probably need to add roughly 12g to the head.  That either results in a CRAP TON of lead tape on the club head, or a 12g weight put in the hosel/shaft.  Either way, that will have an effect on the COG of the club head.  Might be good...might be bad, but it will be different.

Another thing that I was wondering about in terms of why a shorter shaft/club is easier to hit than a longer shaft/club is the deflection of the shaft during the swing.  I wonder about how much more a longer shaft would deflect both down (droop), and bow towards the target.  If there are any club builders that could shine a light on that...I'd be all ears/eyes.

6 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

Do we know the US embargo date? 

6 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

9/23 😉 

Mizuno is one of my son's sponsors and here is what they said about the 923 after he tried getting them:-

"The JPX 923 Hot Metal models are available for pre-order now and will officially release in the US on September 23rd. However, the JPX 923 Forged and Tour models won't be released in the US until February 2023."

Sorry to be the messenger of bummer news.

1 hour ago, Tugu said:

Mizuno is one of my son's sponsors and here is what they said about the 923 after he tried getting them:-

"The JPX 923 Hot Metal models are available for pre-order now and will officially release in the US on September 23rd. However, the JPX 923 Forged and Tour models won't be released in the US until February 2023."

He asked about “embargo”

On 8/27/2022 at 9:31 PM, seaside65 said:

for me it's a combination of 2 things (1) my drives are usually 260 to 280 leaving me with not much more than about 120 into most par 4s I play, and often much less, and (2) at 120 or so and less I want to be hitting full wedges with plenty of spin. With a 186 7 iron I end up looking at around 140 or so with a PW but then I have to start finessing my wedges for anything much less than that. Honestly for me it is a preference given I have played with that sort of distance management for the best part of 40 years. Not saying it doesn't work for others to hit their mid irons that far, I simply don't really need to and would rather have a little more choice to hit a full iron shot at a shorter distance so that I can stick it close and score.

By the way, was in the Golf 5 store in Shinjuku (Tokyo) this afternoon and they also have the JPX923 for fitting. From what I have seen most of the big golf retailers here seem to have them advertised on their websites for fitting. I know this is slightly off topic but Golf 5 also have those blue finish Mizuno Pro 221 on display/for sale at 192,500 yen. 

It's hard living in Japan surrounded by so much beauty.

10 hours ago, Tugu said:

Wait…so the HM and HMP are available for pre-order in the US now even though there’s no info released on them in the States? 

2 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

Wait…so the HM and HMP are available for pre-order in the US now even though there’s no info released on them in the States? 

I am no expert on whats where, but the player rep wrote and said he could pre order them now. 

My boy tried the 923 at the Mizuno event at Big Sky and loved it so much he immeduately tried to order it. But they replied and told him what is available Sept (pre order) and also what's available next year.

Edited by Tugu

14 hours ago, Tugu said:

Yes, that info has been posted a few times.   Embargo is the date that all information on the clubs are released, which is Sept 23, that doesn't mean they will be PAR (present at Retail) that day.  For most companies those dates are rarely if ever the same.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

4 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

2 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

I don't believe so, my fitter hasn't heard anything yet.  he told me he would definitely have his fit card before I would be able to order anything

It all depends on the rep and varies by company policy. . Some will take orders and  from customes  and hodl them until they can officialy enter them in the system.   Others may just tell accounts they can't until the offiical pre order date.   

Vokey

1 hour ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

It all depends on the rep and varies by company policy. . Some will take orders and  from customes  and hodl them until they can officialy enter them in the system.   Others may just tell accounts they can't until the offiical pre order date.   

Other than wanted to know the details and pricing it doesn't matter to me exactly when they release, I got fitted a week ago for the 921 hot metals with the intention of buying in a month or 2.  However with the launch of the 923s getting closer I decided I'll wait because theybwont be able to order the 921s for me then, and of course the weather will put me out of golf season by then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SagedCrusader said:

Other than wanted to know the details and pricing it doesn't matter to me exactly when they release, I got fitted a week ago for the 921 hot metals with the intention of buying in a month or 2.  However with the launch of the 923s getting closer I decided I'll wait because theybwont be able to order the 921s for me then, and of course the weather will put me out of golf season by then

Yeah. It’s a tough in between window to be in for sure.   I think you’re making the right decision for the long run by waiting.   

Vokey

1 hour ago, SagedCrusader said:

do the golfwrx thing, buy both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were to plan on JPX-923 Tours 7-8-9-PW and wanted to combo for the longer irons, any preference to HMP or Forged 5-6-7i  -> I'd bend both of those options to the same loft in 4* increments.   My preference is for those 5-6-7i to launch high as I have reduced swing-speed and play shorter length increments.  My guess is HMP would be a better option, and slightly cheaper, though not a big concern for 3 clubs up top.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

2 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yeah. It’s a tough in between window to be in for sure.   I think you’re making the right decision for the long run by waiting.   

yeah I agree. I've been playing my current irons since 2004 so what's a little longer haha.  I really like the look of the 923s, hopefully I hit them as well as I did the 921s, which I expect I will. 

Edited by SagedCrusader
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ARL67 said:

If I were to plan on JPX-923 Tours 7-8-9-PW and wanted to combo for the longer irons, any preference to HMP or Forged 5-6-7i  -> I'd bend both of those options to the same loft in 4* increments.   My preference is for those 5-6-7i to launch high as I have reduced swing-speed and play shorter length increments.  My guess is HMP would be a better option, and slightly cheaper, though not a big concern for 3 clubs up top.

I did this combo in 919 Tour/Forged. 4-6 were Forged and 7-PW were Tours, bent 1 degree strong.

I feel like the combo of Tour/Forged would make more sense than Tour/HMP. HMP arent forged, at least they werent back then, so they would feel like entirely different clubs. At least with the Forged and Tour, they feel relatively the same, just have more help up top.

I like golf. A lot.

12 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

yeah I agree. I've been playing my current irons since 2004 so what's a little longer haha.  I really like the look of the 923s, hopefully I hit them as well as I did the 921s, which I expect I will. 

Our rep is brining them buy next Thursday for us to see, and we will have our fitting heads the week after that.  So I'm sure at least a couple orders from our staff will go in soon thereafter! 

• Like 2

Vokey

Rakuten says for sale 9/16. Im sure there are others, but it’s the only place I know that translates. 

Probably going 5 iron forged, with tour the rest of the way down. I really like the 921 tour, but stuck with the MP5s for another year.

Edited by Whatnogarnish