Player's Distance Iron Opinions (ZX5/7, Miz 223/225, Ping i525, PXG Gen 3/4 P/T)

The Frase

So I have been a loyal Ping fan for 20 years and have been playing the i210s for the past 4x years.  Been very happy with them and have been between a 4 and 6 handicap with my putting holding me back from getting below a 4.  I would consider myself a digger with a steep angle of attack.  Have a short back-swing and a fast tempo and have been playing the SteelFiber 110s in stiff due to elbow pain.  Long story short, been a rough winter for me and have climbed to an 8.  In all honesty, I think at age 54, my swing speed has slowed and my short back swing has impacted my ability to hit the ball as high and as far as I used to and greens in reg have suffered.  I think the new wave of players distance irons are just what the doctor ordered for me.  I am scheduling a fitting at Club Champion and intend to try the clubs listed in the title.  Will also try some lighter shafts and perhaps consider going down to a regular flex to get more launch and distance.

I am interested in opinions from those who have tried these during fittings but more importantly on grass as I will not be testing on a range.  Here are my initial thoughts based on preliminary research:

• ZX7:  Great reviews and look solid at set-up.  V-Steel may be great for my steep swing.  Can I handle the ZX7?  Should I consider mixing with the ZX5s?  Is a new model coming later this year and should I wait?
  • ZX5:  Awesome reviews and can't tell difference at setup to the 7s.  Again, V-Steel could be great but much bigger soles.  Do I mix with 7s or go all in on 5's?  Will spin be too low and will I have trouble holding greens?  New model coming?

• Miz 223:  Look very similar to i210s from behind and at set-up.  Feel is incredible.  As forgiving than the Ping or harder to hit?  Will I get the extra distance and height that I need?
  • Miz 225:  Look fabulous over the ball.  Fantastic reviews.  How will spin be and descent angle?  Very costly especially if I go with the SteelFibers (95 Reg?)

• Ping i525:  Love the look and would be very comfortable staying with Pings.  Are they just what I am looking for as far as a player's distance iron that looks what I am used to?  Didn't like the sound or feel of the i500s whatsoever but heard that has been addressed.  How low will spin be on these compared to i210s?  Do I wait for the i220s?

• PXG Gen 3 P/T:  Prices have dropped and look very much like my i210s.  Can I handle the T's or should I go all in on the P's.  Split set?  Is spin on the low end?  How is feel?
  • PXG Gen 4 P/T:  Are they improved over the Gen 3's and worth the extra cost?  P or T decision?  Wait til the Gen 5's come out if I want to go in on the 4's?  How does feel compare to the others in this class of irons?

I know much of this will be figured out during the fitting but like I said, I am curious for on course opinions from those in similar boat.  I have come to grips with fact that I need more pop and probably should be playing a lighter shaft and a less stout shaft.  Those variables alone could fix my issues right away if I go with a SteelFiber 95 or a Recoil 95 or even the Elevate or Modus Neo but if I am going to make the switch, I want to choose a head that I love and I can have for the next 5+ years.

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks to all in advance.  I love this community and look forward to hearing any and all opinions.

Best, Frase         

Edited by The Frase
  • Like 1

Why not walk into CC with an open mind, try them all, and see what gives you the best outcome, for you? I'm not being flip with you and honestly understand you wanting to enlist some opinions. It's just no one knows anything about your swing and you're going to get several different prejudiced answers that I personally don't see how they can help you.

Good luck with your fitting as I hope they find something that works well for you. 🍻

Edited by nitram
  • Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

If you happen to have old numbers to compare to, then you might be on to be right path if your SS has lowered, or your AoA is different...etc. 

I had I500, couldn't hit i210 with the same shaft.  I've also noticed that indoor fitting (as a fellow digger) isn't too bad as long as you know you're hitting in front of the ball, not behind. 

I'd take the advice, trust the fitting get best #'s, although admittedly every time I went to my CC guy (if you find a good one keep using them) I'd leave with something to work on.  

First it was AoA on driver...my fit was amazing, but he closes by saying "tee it higher and put it further up in your stance until you get that angle positive. "

Next time I came in, he was ecstatic he could up the loft and still keep the spin down...my wood swing had changed with that, and he took me from deep faces to shallow...took him 5 mins to see the issue.  

He's ready to move me to graphite as well, just waiting for the right time to fit again.  He texts me when the newest stuff comes out.  Ping homer, have no interest in anything else.   If the ping stuff doesn't work for me, I just don't get new stuff...I have trust issues..lol

I will admit, I had a brand in mind and that's ok, as long as you hit all the right windows and have the right dispersion.  Once we found the right SW/Shaft/profile, you could have put anything on it and I could hit it, but when it came down to "ready to buy?", I wanted the look, feel, and the consistency I have found in ping, but not without #'s to prove it.  

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Good question GDB99.  I don't think I spin it too much so these lower lofted, lower spinning heads may hurt my cause.  I may just have to club up as I have been doing as of late, but I am very intrigued by this new line of clubs that fits my eye more than going the shovel route.  If I can get more distance, launch, and hold greens in a players looking package, I am in.  From all of my research, that just may be the ZX5 but quietly hoping it may be the Ping i525 or the Mizuno 225 as far as looks go.        

Lots of good options. The 223s and zx7 are neck and neck. I have some 225s and they are freaking hot..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just picked up the Srixon ZX5's.

Have four rounds on them and very satisfied. These check all the boxes.

Still in the honeymoon stage of use, 

Probably a little early for a review on my part,  except to say, so far so good. Also, I have had no issues holding any greens

Edited by puttingmatt
  • Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

4 hours ago, The Frase said:

So I have been a loyal Ping fan for 20 years and have been playing the i210s for the past 4x years.  Been very happy with them and have been between a 4 and 6 handicap with my putting holding me back from getting below a 4.  I would consider myself a digger with a steep angle of attack.  Have a short back-swing and a fast tempo and have been playing the SteelFiber 110s in stiff due to elbow pain.  Long story short, been a rough winter for me and have climbed to an 8.  In all honesty, I think at age 54, my swing speed has slowed and my short back swing has impacted my ability to hit the ball as high and as far as I used to and greens in reg have suffered.  I think the new wave of players distance irons are just what the doctor ordered for me.  I am scheduling a fitting at Club Champion and intend to try the clubs listed in the title.  Will also try some lighter shafts and perhaps consider going down to a regular flex to get more launch and distance.

I am interested in opinions from those who have tried these during fittings but more importantly on grass as I will not be testing on a range.  Here are my initial thoughts based on preliminary research:

• ZX7:  Great reviews and look solid at set-up.  V-Steel may be great for my steep swing.  Can I handle the ZX7?  Should I consider mixing with the ZX5s?  Is a new model coming later this year and should I wait?
  • ZX5:  Awesome reviews and can't tell difference at setup to the 7s.  Again, V-Steel could be great but much bigger soles.  Do I mix with 7s or go all in on 5's?  Will spin be too low and will I have trouble holding greens?  New model coming?

• Miz 223:  Look very similar to i210s from behind and at set-up.  Feel is incredible.  As forgiving than the Ping or harder to hit?  Will I get the extra distance and height that I need?
  • Miz 225:  Look fabulous over the ball.  Fantastic reviews.  How will spin be and descent angle?  Very costly especially if I go with the SteelFibers (95 Reg?)

• Ping i525:  Love the look and would be very comfortable staying with Pings.  Are they just what I am looking for as far as a player's distance iron that looks what I am used to?  Didn't like the sound or feel of the i500s whatsoever but heard that has been addressed.  How low will spin be on these compared to i210s?  Do I wait for the i220s?

• PXG Gen 3 P/T:  Prices have dropped and look very much like my i210s.  Can I handle the T's or should I go all in on the P's.  Split set?  Is spin on the low end?  How is feel?
  • PXG Gen 4 P/T:  Are they improved over the Gen 3's and worth the extra cost?  P or T decision?  Wait til the Gen 5's come out if I want to go in on the 4's?  How does feel compare to the others in this class of irons?

I know much of this will be figured out during the fitting but like I said, I am curious for on course opinions from those in similar boat.  I have come to grips with fact that I need more pop and probably should be playing a lighter shaft and a less stout shaft.  Those variables alone could fix my issues right away if I go with a SteelFiber 95 or a Recoil 95 or even the Elevate or Modus Neo but if I am going to make the switch, I want to choose a head that I love and I can have for the next 5+ years.

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks to all in advance.  I love this community and look forward to hearing any and all opinions.

Best, Frase         

I’ve only tested the Mizuno 225’s in what you have listed. I tested them with the steel fiber 95 in stiff. Felt really good and smooth. I ended up with Project X IO 6.0’s With the mizuno 225’s and love them! You could maybe even try the IO 5.5 and the steel fiber. Either way I think you will get what you are looking for out of one of those. 

edit: I tested the zx5 I believe and they were not as long as the 225’s. 

If you get fitted for Ping you may never see them with how slow they are. If you get fitted to Mizuno probably will wait a little but not as much as Ping. I play to a 11.8 and last year I played ZX7 with LA golf 105S shafts. Previously used steel fiber 95S. The full graphite feels much better and dispersion was better. This year I went combo ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-pw. As a 4-6 or 8 now, you’ll be fine. 

I'd be weary of dropping shaft weight unless you try them out and have no issue with the feels.  SF is a stout shaft, I would try the 110 R honestly before dropping weight if you enjoy the feel of that shaft, or some 105 other shafts. 

that would be my strategy: focus on one club and shaft weight to get an idea of how you are loading and delivering that shaft.

When you are on a shaft, now play musical club heads. Do not play musical clubheads and musical shafts. 

As for the clubs, its a great selection. Manny have said it before we live in an age where there are so many good clubs. I could honestly game 2 clubs per MFG myself without trying too hard. 

I will say other than wanting something different, I think its going to be hard to kick those 210's out of the bag: they are that good. Don't be mesmerized by 5-7 more yards if you don't take into account loft/spin rates. 

I understand 6 years with an iron is 5.75 years too long at club WRX but still, they are good. 🙂

- b

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Add Titleist and Callaway, a little obvious they are missing, widen choices, drive fitter nuts, lol. 😉

Steelfiber 110 in stiff seems really stout, graphite notwithstanding, if you have elbow issues, so guessing you must still have a good bit of speed.

Why not MMT? May as well add more shafts to the mix.

I agree with the above - not much anyone can say that really will relate to your game, but hey, I bought zx7s with a rudimentary fitting because I made up my mind I needed them last year, lol.  They didn't last the season in my bag.

If a certain look to an iron is important, I get that as well.  I'm currently enamored with T100s irons having just seen some in person a week ago.  T200 is probably a better fit for my game, but I saw those as well and just don't care for them.  I've finally gotten over the urge to track down some T100s irons because (1) Titleist doesn't offer the shaft I want to put in them, and (2) I don't even know if the shaft I want to put in them is the best fit.  

Sounds like I need to arrange a fitting come spring and go from there but somehow I feel I'll probably be using my 11 year old irons at the end of the season like I have the last couple of times I thought I needed new ones.

• Like 1

Based on my own experience with the ZX7 I suspect low spin could be an issue. I also have a hard time imagining that it’ll give you a step up in easy distance and forgiveness compared to your i210 set. 

I personally don’t see the benefit of blending ZX sets or 0311 sets. There is such a significant difference in offset that it would be jarring to me, especially with how PXG’s offset is progressive. But, if you didn’t notice the difference in ZX7 and ZX5 then maybe you’re the perfect candidate for it and I’m just not.

I would plan to take your top one or two options to a range. That is especially true if the Srixons are in contention. 

We sound very similar except that I am playing i200s with Steelfiber i95s as my main iron set.  I just went through a fitting with all the clubs you mentioned and then some.  The only club that offered better launch than the i200s was the T200 and many really were not close.  I could hit some farther but was not comfortable with the landing angles and/or spin.  The majority were really low in spin for me.  I'm going to reshaft the i200s as the Steelfibers are too stout for me at this point.

17 hours ago, nitram said:

Why not walk into CC with an open mind, try them all, and see what gives you the best outcome, for you? I'm not being flip with you and honestly understand you wanting to enlist some opinions. It's just no one knows anything about your swing and you're going to get several different prejudiced answers that I personally don't see how they can help you.

Good luck with your fitting as I hope they find something that works well for you. 🍻

I generally agree if time were unlimited during the fit session.  There are so many brands that compete in this space, it’s very difficult to try them all out while also tweaking with shaft options that the OP also seems to be trying to test variations on.  OP could end up testing 18 different heads with a completely opened mind.  At a certain point you have to come in semi narrowed down assuming the fitter has all the choices available, or you’re picking a fitter that has all or most of your narrowed down choices to begin with. 

I’d narrow some choices down based on looks, price, and expected availability. I’d still likely end up testing 6-8 heads across 4-5 brands which is probably the most I’d want to given I’d always be rotating swings with my current gamers in there as well.  I doubt you’re going to see a huge difference by testing 6-8 heads instead of 18 as all the manufacturers make good stuff. But finding more time to pair the right shaft, and saving some time for the final comparison to the last 2 finalists and your current gamers will IMO make you feel more confident about your fitting outcome. 

4 hours ago, bnperrone said:

Based on my own experience with the ZX7 I suspect low spin could be an issue. I also have a hard time imagining that it’ll give you a step up in easy distance and forgiveness compared to your i210 set. 

I personally don’t see the benefit of blending ZX sets or 0311 sets. There is such a significant difference in offset that it would be jarring to me, especially with how PXG’s offset is progressive. But, if you didn’t notice the difference in ZX7 and ZX5 then maybe you’re the perfect candidate for it and I’m just not.

I would plan to take your top one or two options to a range. That is especially true if the Srixons are in contention. 

I didnt find the srixon combo set to be an issue for me but I could be different then others. Perhaps try a different shaft and your swing numbers on the ZX7 might be okay.

30 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

I didnt find the srixon combo set to be an issue for me but I could be different then others. Perhaps try a different shaft and your swing numbers on the ZX7 might be okay.

I meant that I thought low spin could be an issue for him given it's already a concern of his. The ZX7 is, objectively, a low-spinning head. I have them in a mid-mid well fit shaft (Modus 105X) and I felt like the flight was a bit off until I bent them a bit weak. At that point the flight and numbers are pretty solid. When I tried them against the ZX5 what I found surprising, all else being equal, is that numbers were better with the 7. 5 was not more forgiving or consistent or superior. At this point I have to assume that the ZX5 having even stronger lofts got too low spin for me. 

Main point being, if he's concerned about spin and he's looking for distance and forgiveness compared to i210 I'm not thinking the ZX7 fits the bill. 

• Like 4

Bnperrone,

I got what you meant and appreciate the feedback.  I have not found the i210 to be unforgiving at all as I think that is what I have loved about the iron.  I just think I have lost swing speed and maybe I need some new technology to help with ball speed and launch.  Perhaps the SF 110 Stiff shaft is too much for me, and I am not getting as much help out of it as I now need.  The answer may very well be in the shaft and I could conceivably keep the irons and get them re-shafted, but it is clear I have the itch for something new so weighing my options.

I think any club in this range will probably be great and the key will get the shaft that can help with my shortcomings.  As someone suggested earlier, maybe I find the shaft that feels the best and gives me the best launch and descent angle first and foremost and then back into the head based on look, feel, cost, and availability.

Thanks all. 

JF          

• Like 1

@The Frase I did not read what everyone said but I have a mixed set of ZX5 / ZX7 and could not be happier.  The 4 and 5 iron are ZX5, I decided to do those in ZX5s because I wanted a little extra pop and that is just what I got.  The ZX5s fly straight and very true and at address its hard to tell the difference between the ZX5 and ZX7s the ZX5s are slightly bigger and the soles are slightly thicker but in terms of playability they are very similar.  I have ZX7s in 6-AW, they are very workable but still a lot of forgiveness. I used to play the i210s and find the ZX7s to be just as forgiving but more workable.  If you have any questions just let me know but I am very happy with my mixed set!

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Bump.......I'd love to here this too....i210 was ultra consistent but short n spinny in the grand scheme 

Can you elaborate what you mean by short? Relative to what? 

Going to add @The Frase since he was asking... funny enough, I'm trying to offload ZX7 heads. Previously offloaded a ZX5 set and my buddy plays the i210 so I happened to have hit all 3 lol. 

Obviously ZX5 to 7 isn't too drastic. 5's are slightly stronger in loft, feels more forgiving with a deeper face/sole (I think it's also a hollow body?). I personally like the 7's because of the thinner sole and the toe strikes were forgiving as others have pointed out. I came to find out my swing isn't as steep/divot taking as I thought and my personal preference was it would've been awesome if the ZX7 had your conventional sole shape like a T100. Anyway, faces were great and forgiving and definitely underrated. I can say the sound and feel have a more "clicky" sound/feel to it. It ain't no Mizuno lol. 

Ping i210, however, definitely had more of the Mizuno-like sound/feel from their hollow irons. I felt like the i210s are unique from i500 and i59 where the sound/feel is not like the rest of the product line. Even though the sole is pretty fat, i210 is damn consistent which is why my friend loves his set. With the lofts pretty much the same as the ZX7s, my distances on good strikes resulted in pretty much the same outcomes. It was the mishits where I felt i210s helped a little more with a hollow body design. 

I do agree with what @granata10 said about ZX7 and workability (not that I'm that great to speak much of it), but thinner soles will definitely allow you to. 

Overall, I felt that ZX7 vs i210 on good hits are the same for me, but mishits I'd lean towards i210. I'd think a more accurate comparison is to get ZX5 and make it weaker to match the i210 or make the i210 stronger to match the ZX5 and compare those two.

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

4 hours ago, stevechooster said:

Can you elaborate what you mean by short? Relative to what? 

Going to add @The Frase since he was asking... funny enough, I'm trying to offload ZX7 heads. Previously offloaded a ZX5 set and my buddy plays the i210 so I happened to have hit all 3 lol. 

Obviously ZX5 to 7 isn't too drastic. 5's are slightly stronger in loft, feels more forgiving with a deeper face/sole (I think it's also a hollow body?). I personally like the 7's because of the thinner sole and the toe strikes were forgiving as others have pointed out. I came to find out my swing isn't as steep/divot taking as I thought and my personal preference was it would've been awesome if the ZX7 had your conventional sole shape like a T100. Anyway, faces were great and forgiving and definitely underrated. I can say the sound and feel have a more "clicky" sound/feel to it. It ain't no Mizuno lol. 

Ping i210, however, definitely had more of the Mizuno-like sound/feel from their hollow irons. I felt like the i210s are unique from i500 and i59 where the sound/feel is not like the rest of the product line. Even though the sole is pretty fat, i210 is damn consistent which is why my friend loves his set. With the lofts pretty much the same as the ZX7s, my distances on good strikes resulted in pretty much the same outcomes. It was the mishits where I felt i210s helped a little more with a hollow body design. 

I do agree with what @granata10 said about ZX7 and workability (not that I'm that great to speak much of it), but thinner soles will definitely allow you to. 

Overall, I felt that ZX7 vs i210 on good hits are the same for me, but mishits I'd lean towards i210. I'd think a more accurate comparison is to get ZX5 and make it weaker to match the i210 or make the i210 stronger to match the ZX5 and compare those two.

When I used i210s all of last year they were some of the most consistent irons I've ever played.......however that consistency led to what I deemed to be yardage control......the larger soles made me more shallow than ever and with a sweepy like swing came limitations on flight......sure I could hit some sort of knockdown but not nearly as effective of a shot......also on the rare occasion that I wanted/needed to jump on an iron they would just launch even higher with more spin ......I tried 5 different shafts in them but alas couldn't find the right combination to fit me.

Everything about them except for this one factor is great and one can see why they still are very visible at the highest level. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, The Frase said:

@granata10How would you compare the launch, spin, and distance of the ZX5/ZX7 to the i210s?  Many thanks.

@The Frase @SwooshLT    Sorry for the delay I didnt see this notification.  

Distance wise its close with the ZX7s but I am definitely longer with the ZX5s. I have always had gapping issues after the 6 iron (5 iron too close to the 6 iron and 4 iron not close enough to hybrid, if that makes sense) the ZX5s have solved those issues.  My gapping with the Srixon’s is as good as I have had it.  The reason I moved on from the Pings is I hooked them too much, especially 4-7 iron.  Distance wise the Pings were very consistent even on miss hits but there were times I would hit it good and look up and the ball would be drawing (normal ball flight) and then just keep moving left and turn into a hook.  

I just looked up my fitting report from club champion launch of the 2 irons are very similar, the Pings spin around 800 less RPM, that might explain the hooks (need spin for control).  Overall I am more consistent with the Srixons, and I played Pings for 15 years before this.

Edited by granata10

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

On 2/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, LBB said:

I generally agree if time were unlimited during the fit session.  There are so many brands that compete in this space, it’s very difficult to try them all out while also tweaking with shaft options that the OP also seems to be trying to test variations on.  OP could end up testing 18 different heads with a completely opened mind.  At a certain point you have to come in semi narrowed down assuming the fitter has all the choices available, or you’re picking a fitter that has all or most of your narrowed down choices to begin with. 

I’d narrow some choices down based on looks, price, and expected availability. I’d still likely end up testing 6-8 heads across 4-5 brands which is probably the most I’d want to given I’d always be rotating swings with my current gamers in there as well.  I doubt you’re going to see a huge difference by testing 6-8 heads instead of 18 as all the manufacturers make good stuff. But finding more time to pair the right shaft, and saving some time for the final comparison to the last 2 finalists and your current gamers will IMO make you feel more confident about your fitting outcome. 

This is an excellent point. One thing I’ve done with some success in the past ahead of a fitting is head to a golf store and demo a bunch of clubs to narrow things down a bit. When I was fit for my driver I did this and found that while great, the Mizuno, Srixon, and Callaway drivers just didn’t agree with me. This allowed me to go to the fitting with a much smaller batch of heads to demo and get numbers on. I arrived to my fitting knowing I was going to walk out with either Ping, TaylorMade, or Cobra. 

IMO, Ping and PXG are interchangeable for many aspects of the performance I see. I’ve played i210s for almost 3 years and then switched to PXG. The feel is better, the distance is better but the consistency is not at good as the i210s but better than any other player distance iron I have tried.. I’ve tried the ZX5 and did not like them overall. I did like the sole performance but the iron was not as consistent overall. Early on before the i210s I did have some i500s and I really liked the iron but once you play the i210s for a while and go back to the i500s you understand what all the consistency talk is about. I  have not tried any of the new Mizunos but I did look at them and think they are the best looking Mizuno irons every produced. I just never get along with the soles and have sworn them of finally. Who knows though, may try them someday.

Not directly related to the OP. But reading a couple (ok one) of the posts above made me chuckle a bit. Reading someone has already moved on from an iron that they were singing the praises of from every rooftop they could find like they were somehow filled with “magic”! 😂 Moral of the story, take initial club love (reviews) here with a big grain of salt! Good luck with your search @The Frase

On 2/21/2022 at 3:32 PM, The Frase said:

Have a short back-swing and a fast tempo and have been playing the SteelFiber 110s in stiff due to elbow pain.  Long story short, been a rough winter for me and have climbed to an 8.  In all honesty, I think at age 54, my swing speed has slowed and my short back swing has impacted my ability to hit the ball as high and as far as I used to and greens in reg have suffered.  I think the new wave of players distance irons are just what the doctor ordered for me.  I am scheduling a fitting at Club Champion and intend to try the clubs listed in the title.  Will also try some lighter shafts and perhaps consider going down to a regular flex to get more launch and distance.

... I have always played stiff flex shafts in my irons and going from Recoil 95 Prototype s-flex to Steelfiber i95 s-flex didn't work for me and after one round I sold my i95's. Taking to a rep at the pga show a year later he said while there is no true to flex, Steelfibers play much stiffer than most other graphite iron shafts and recommended I try i95's in r-flex. I did and they have become my favorite irons shafts. I am the opposite of you however with a smooth transition, so take that into account. Hit my 7 iron 165. 

... I am little surprised (just a little) that you did not list the soon to be released Cobra Forged Tec irons on your list. Unless you are in a hurry, it might be a good idea to wait until April when they are released. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

On 2/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, granata10 said:

@The Frase I did not read what everyone said but I have a mixed set of ZX5 / ZX7 and could not be happier.  The 4 and 5 iron are ZX5, I decided to do those in ZX5s because I wanted a little extra pop and that is just what I got.  The ZX5s fly straight and very true and at address its hard to tell the difference between the ZX5 and ZX7s the ZX5s are slightly bigger and the soles are slightly thicker but in terms of playability they are very similar.  I have ZX7s in 6-AW, they are very workable but still a lot of forgiveness. I used to play the i210s and find the ZX7s to be just as forgiving but more workable.  If you have any questions just let me know but I am very happy with my mixed set!

What shafts are you playing with the mixed set? I went for a basic iron fitting and really was surprised how well I hit the ZX7. I am trying to zero in on the shaft - currently play nippon modus 120 stiff in callaway CF16. I hit the Recoil 95 looking for a lighter weight option and came away impressed. My plan is to hit the Recoil's and ZX7 on turf in the Spring before I commit to buying. Likely will go 5 iron in ZX5 and 6-AW isn ZX7. How do you like the gap wedge?