2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

3 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

I think LIV players trying to “tear down, compete against, and minimize the PGAT” is being quite dramatic. The PGAT might consider allowing them to play in their events because 1) they want the highest level of golfers in their events and 2) they are qualified to play in their events.

These type of exhibition style tournaments are nothing new. If the PGAT wanted to play ball it would have been great for both parties.

if the PGA tour allows these players to come back freely when they have broken their membership agreements, how does that keep anyone in the PGA tour from breaking their agreements everyday?   The agreement is for the protection and benefit of the fellow members as much as it is for the company of the PGA Tour.

also some of these players resigned their membership so they won’t be involved in any battle.    

which LIV players are even wanting to come back and play their 15 events a year in the PGA Tour.   Only Phil is a lifetime member who doesn’t need to play the 15 event minimum…. Not sure that Phil is interested in playing any Thursdays and Friday’s just to miss a cut.

Edited by mitchl
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Let me help you ... FedEx is doing business in Saudi Arabia similar to Nicklaus Design doing business in Saudi Arabia. Fedex is not funding a rival golf league whose sole purpose is to destroy the PGA Tour. 

But if you keep beating the same drum, someone might listen. 

No one is destroying your precious PGA other than the players that are leaving for greener pastures. Get used to it as more will be “destroying” your tour after the fedex.

Edited by theodoreb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipStrokes said:

they have every right to stand outside, off

of private property, and protest. 

but they absolutely don’t have the right to disrupt a ticketed event on private property. 

And what if they bought tickets and protested on the course? Send in security and have them removed. The Kingdom would love seeing that video on the evening news and social media.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, aus10KC said:

What?!? Good play isn't rewarded? Color me shocked.

That's the thing about these fields and LIV's direction.  Someone like Phil will be a draw so he can stink it up every week and still get paid.  However, if you are a player who is getting top 15s and not drawing eyeballs, you can be cut in a flash.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Would be akin to a United States billionaire buying all the European football teams and players  , shortening the field by half , changing the rules to allow  offsides , cut the clock in half and making the  Goal twice as big so that no keeper could cover it.

You might be surprised, but a lot of European football fans, especially in countries outside of the top 5, feel that this has already happened because of the Champions League, which has become a closed shop due to the guaranteed spots for not only the champions, but also the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th placed teams of the big 5.
You might not know this, but before the Champions League, there was the European Champions Cup, and in this, all the champion teams from all the leagues competed in a pure knock out tournament. There was a similar competition for all the national cup winners and a similar competition for all the 2nd and 3rd placed teams, called the UEFA Cup at the time.
Of course, this meant that over two games in knock out format, upsets were possible, and if a team from a smaller country and league had a really good year, they could reach the semifinals or even finals of such a competition with a little bit of luck. Which meant money and more options for their players to maybe transfer to a bigger league. The current system, which was devised by having markets outside of Europe in mind (Asia, Middle East, and the US), these surprises are kept to a minimum, because the big investors want predictability.
This is pretty much gone now. The biggest teams are set in stone, they dominate their own national leagues because of the huge sums they get from the Champions League (both in prize money and in advertising money) and they dominate the CL as well. What is even worse is the impact on smaller national leagues, my own country Austria being the prime example. If a billionaire supports one club like Salzburg, they have limited success on the European stage, but still dominate at a national level in the most ridiculouis way, which makes the national championship a farce.

So one could argue that it happened already in European football, based on business interests based on the world market. Now it happens to golf, and the Asian (betting) market is bigger in both sports than the markets, in which the sports first blossomed. Might be tough to swallow for an American, but facts are facts.

• Like 3

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

4 hours ago, RobS said:

Stenson signed an agreement that effectively didn't allow him to join LIV and remain captain of the team.

Are you sure, that there was a signed agreement for the Ryder Cup captain, which said that?
All I can imagine is an agreement, which includes a commitment to certain number of events on the European Tour. Much like what Sergio Garcia claims at the moment. And how did Stenson's LIV contract make it "effectively" impossible to honour both? Which tournaments he has to participate in are scheduled at the same time?

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

9 hours ago, lowheel said:

No they dont, its private property.

They don't need to be on the property to disrupt but you already know that. 

10 hours ago, Hocus_Pocus said:

Maybe doing the same thing - but not near as happy or wealthy or fixed financially for life! 

Not near as happy ? How would you possibly know that ? 

Maybe not tied by contract to the Saudis makes him happy - and he'll have plenty of wealth and will be fixed financially unless he pisses it all away like Mickelson. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Not sure if an event “in the shadow” of the former twin towers was a good idea.

“My father was a scratch golfer,” Crowther told The Post on Tuesday at a press conference held by 911familiesunited.org at Clarence Dillon Library in Bedminster. “My husband was a banker, so [golf] is what they did. Welles loved golf, too.”

“If I could talk to [the players from LIV Golf] I would that say I’m horrified they could be bought. It’s not like [Phil Mickelson and others] are struggling [financially]. That they could be morally compromised by money from a source such as this, I find it appalling. I find it a testament to their own character, which is unsatisfactory.”

https://nypost.com/2022/07/26/families-of-9-11-victims-decry-liv-golf-before-nj-debut/amp/

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dalehead said:

Hmm, got me thinking. Did the LIV players get their money up front or is it paid out over the life of the contract? Did DJ get  check for $150 million or does he get $37.5 million a year for 4 years? And what if SA pulled the plug after 2 years? Good luck suing SA and collecting. What laws govern the contracts, the laws of Saudi Arabia?

Yep. I asked this at the beginning.  Doesn’t seem to be a known thing.  But how do you go to Saudi Arabia and sue the princes parent sport  company in court ?  The answer is. You can’t.  

• Like 3

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, theodoreb said:

No one is destroying your precious PGA other than the players that are leaving for greener pastures. Get used to it as more will be “destroying” your tour after the fedex.

Why is this a thing your happy about ?  I detect some glee in that statement. 

• Haha 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It has come up a few times and some presume these guys only play for money. Here is Eddie Pepperell who is like 500 in the world so LIV wouldn't be interested in him anyway except as a temporary filler. Anyway, he talks about not playing for money, however when he does play well money is a by product from that allowing him to do what he loves.

https://golf.com/news/eddie-pepperell-on-liv-golf-defections-and-why-hell-never-join/

Some guys are all about the $$$ and others are not. 

I'm sure Bubba Watson will sign, he is 43 and is coming off knee surgery. Perfect guy for LIV, has a big social media presence and two time masters champ. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

The Ryder cup could have allowed Stenson to continue as the captain. Why does he have to play on the PGAT to captain the Euros in the Ryder cup.

PGAT needs to play ball. They have monopolized the golf market for long enough. They forgot how to compromise.

Disagree 100%. Plus Stenson was on the DP tour not PGAT to be eligible for Ryder cup captain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I think the PGA Tour issue going forward is how marketable are their events when JT and Rory take time off?  Will get worse if they grab more big names

The event last weekend was a zero leaderboard without Finau … I’d have rather watched LIV if it was on .. sad but true.  

this is where the tours could co-exist with proper scheduling in my opinion 

interesting times

Would any of the guys who have gone to LIV played that event? Would they have drastically changed the appeal of the event?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Would any of the guys who have gone to LIV played that event? Would they have drastically changed the appeal of the event?

I don’t know, I wasn’t speaking of that event specifically… just used it as a real time example (and a current one)

i suppose there’s always been weak field events but when I turned it on, I had zero interest 

the top players .. bring viewers ,,, that’s the battle … Tiger, Phil etc etc down the line

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max