LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

2 hours ago, mitchl said:

sure, but any reporter can likely afford the $3 ticket to just go and find out who’s playing if they want to do that.  

Many people that play in Pro Ams are not well known or widely recognized in person.  So sure reporters can get in but I doubt they know John CEO of Nameyourcompany just by looking at them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Let's say the best golfer in the world, through OWGR points or even just the eye test, is on LIV at some point and he is not in the field at the US Open or The Open due to being barred (even from qualifying methods/playing in), that sort of stifles their abilities to "test the best" or "identify the best" in the world, etc.

I believe Tennis had this situation in the 1960s for a while, largely because of Lamar Hunt's series of tournaments. It took 8 to 10 years for everybody to come together again, if I am not mistaken.
I hope it doesn't happen in golf in the same way.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I understand that is his wish.  However, and I fully understand there are some big ifs in this statement, when there is clearly one or multiples of the top ten or twenty professional golfers in the world locked out of the majors it will illegitimize them.

Let's say the best golfer in the world, through OWGR points or even just the eye test, is on LIV at some point and he is not in the field at the US Open or The Open due to being barred (even from qualifying methods/playing in), that sort of stifles their abilities to "test the best" or "identify the best" in the world, etc.

On the other hand, if the majors are when and only when the very best golfers in the world form all major men's professional tours come together, that is a really, really big deal.

How many times does it need to be said that the PGAT does NOT run any of the four majors? It is NOT up to JM who gets in and who doesn't.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NormanFan said:

So with this info, HOW exactly are LIV and the PGA TOUR supposed to "cooperate" according to some people on this thread?

Easily. LIV also announced in their press release that none of their tournaments would conflict with marquee PGA tour events or majors. Sounds very reasonable to me and leaves the door open for adults to settle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the bishop said:

I think at some point LIV is going to have to address the funding issue and the 9/11 angle of it in more depth beyond expressing sympathy to victims and their families.  The 9/11 survivors group(s) probably aren't going away anytime soon and with a limited schedule they'll have plenty of time to organize between events.  At least the ones held in the U.S.  So lot's of time to organize and co-opt any media outlets they can to report on this angle.

Its media created outrage... it will go away when the ambulance chasing media finds another story they can exploit. Where were these families when the LPGA, PGA tour and euro tour took money from these same entities literally buying events? do the families know there are 40000 americans working in saudi arabia right now for 6-7 figure salaries directly or indirectly employed by the kingdom there? Theres nothing to address

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

LIV wants a TV deal. They have offered to pay Fox to broadcast events, but Fox hasn't said yes yet. 

I believe FOX and the Murdochs are waiting for some positive vibes on LIV. Not a whole lot of positive media floating around right. FOX is even beginning to create distance between them and the former pres. The FOX style has always been patriotism. Think NASCAR. 

4 hours ago, avrag said:

No. Unfortunately we won't, if Monahan gets his way.

I read that Monahan was the second highest earner on the PGA Tour in 2019 just behind Koepka...he likes to get his way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

5 hours ago, jimb said:

Charles Howell III is quoted as saying, for him, joining the LIV is not about money.  Really?!!!  Now, he tried to present a smoke screen of reasons why it isn't about money, but when you get to the bottom of it, Triple Sticks, it is about money.

Every player is, regardless of what they say unless you believe tiger really drinks monster energy...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, kasting333 said:

Making a tour that’s more international is a good thing for golf imo. 

It does seem like LIV is silent partners with the Sunshine Tour and I hope that allows the Australian Open to become a great tournament again. 

Can you name all of the origin countries for the current PGA Tour card holders ? 

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

2 hours ago, idrive said:

How many times does it need to be said that the PGAT does NOT run any of the four majors? It is NOT up to JM who gets in and who doesn't.

Sure, but when the PGA Tour colludes with the USGA, PGA of America, and the R&A to have eligibility criteria for the majors "re-examined", there might be some problems.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol, don’t despair. 

It’s becoming clear that liv is failing both as a sports product and sportswash. The NY/US media and social networks are ripping this and that won’t ever let up. Bad miscalculation. 

Most likely, it will get some traction in Australia and Japan if they sign CS and HM. 

But it’s going to continue to fail miserably in the US. 

For now, we see the same type of praise we might see a Kardashian get on social media….

They getting paid!

OMG, look at that jet! 

But, that type of hype dies out fast. What’s missing is any actual demand for the product.

$1 tickets. $3 for Sunday. 

I'm originally from New Jersey and my buddies from there were texting me today how the local radio, WFAN I believe, were ripping LIV today and how disgusted they were by it. If LIV wanted to enter that area unscathed and supported while being funded by SA, they should have waited to make sure they were established and taken seriously in the public eye. Jersey/NYC is a ruthless fanbase that was most directly impacted by 9/11 than anyone else in the country. Would have been wiser of LIV to avoid Bedminster for now.

That said I don't expect much in the way of on course disruption since golf fans, even NYC golf fans, do tend to lean on the polite side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Amazing that you and others don't seem to understand that the PGA Tour didn't "take" any players from the ET. The ET players played in PGA Tour events and earned enough $ to get a PGA Tour card. The Euro Tour players chose to play on the PGA Tour. Ask Poulter/Westwood/Garcia/Rose why they made that choice or you can just look in Poulter's garage. All of the above built their reputations on the PGA Tour.

They understand. It's just a,LIV talking point and they think if they say it enough times people will start to believe the lie.....

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lowheel said:

Easily. LIV also announced in their press release that none of their tournaments would conflict with marquee PGA tour events or majors. Sounds very reasonable to me and leaves the door open for adults to settle

Easily?  Far from it.  It's easy for someone who has never even come close to building a multi-billion dollar enterprise to talk silliness about their perception of reasonable.  

There can only be one golf tour in the world recognized by all as the top level where all the best players play.  Why would anyone think the PGAT or Greg Norman is willing to cede that to the other?  What reasonable person is going to let the other tour rule over the marquee events with the highest purses and take a backseat?  Both sides are too heavily invested to make any meaningful sacrifice.

This will only settle in one of two ways; either both tours go on their current trajectories and co-exist and fans will be left to settle which brand of golf is better and which tour has the best players never to be truly settled, or, Saudis dump Greg Norman and negotiate a power position within the PGAT umbrella.  

I'm putting my money on the former.  People wanted to complain about rules of golf undergoing bifurcation??!!  That's nothing.  The sport at the pro level is already undergoing bifurcation and it's not going to come together anytime soon.  

Maybe, and this is edge of cliff speculation, maybe the Saudis want a ROI that is taking too long, so two years from now they dump Greg, and behind the scenes negotiate with PGAT that they will be second fiddle, but still want their "tour", want some seats at the table, and want Jay gone too.  

Who knows? But at the moment this does not unwind "easily" and there's a lot of ego in the room not going anywhere.

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1