2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

26 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Yeah, honestly if the ball flies straight and the scores drop, I could care less what they look like.  Just seemed strange that the marks on the face don’t come off from such light indoor use.

Seems very strange that you posted a picture of some nice ball contact as PING's aren't the only irons that will show marks like that after light use. I'm a bit OCD as that gap would bother me more regardless how well they perform, but that's me. I know many OP have brought it up but not really any PING loyalist. I really like PING played their irons more than any other 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

38 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Seems very strange that you posted a picture of some nice ball contact as PING's aren't the only irons that will show marks like that after light use. I'm a bit OCD as that gap would bother me more regardless how well they perform, but that's me. I know many OP have brought it up but not really any PING loyalist. I really like PING played their irons more than any other 

Wasn’t trying to humble brag with center strikes - the W happened to be the club with the worst marks on the face, thus the pic served as the best example.

That being said, I’ve played numerous sets from Mizuno, Titleist, Miura and others over the years…never had clean indoor sim balls leave marks like that before…or outdoor range or course balls for that matter.  Figured I’d do a pulse check with the i230 group and see if anyone else had the same experience…guess I should have been ready for the roast lol.

I am by no means a ping loyalist - first venture with the brand with these 230s.  Definitely didn’t buy them based on bag appeal…I decided that this year, I’d finally swallow the pill and buy the best performing irons - regardless of looks.

Edited by Inglewood

1 minute ago, Inglewood said:

…change of subject - anyone playing ping driver?  Don’t love my Stealth and looking at maybe the G410 or 425 as options…curious if anyone has experience with them.

Been playing the 425LST since it came out. Paired with Tour AD M9003 and 5g of hotmelt in the toe , I cant get it out of the bag no matter what I try. Maybe not the longest , but being middle of the fairway is more quantifiable than 5-10 in the rough or dare I say losing one. 

1 hour ago, Tiptx1122 said:

In my experience with later Ping irons, the initials scuffs are pronounced.  It may have something to do with the hydorpearl finish.  After more strikes, however, they all just even out to an even patina.

I speed up the process by hitting it all over the club face.😃  If you dime it every time, it will take longer.

Edited by Foreleft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so has anyone pulled these apart and built with different shafts? I'm looking through other threads and it looks like this hosel is quite wide and a .355 is very loose... To the point where a collar is needed. This means I can't use bbf ferrules with out doing something extra. 

What have you guys been doing? Gluing collars into regular ferrules? Shims? I even saw @Nessismsay he's used dry wall tape as a means to center the shaft.

I really want to use bbf ferrules and not plain boring black collared ferrules. Help!!

3 hours ago, Inglewood said:

Wasn’t trying to humble brag with center strikes - the W happened to be the club with the worst marks on the face, thus the pic served as the best example.

That being said, I’ve played numerous sets from Mizuno, Titleist, Miura and others over the years…never had clean indoor sim balls leave marks like that before…or outdoor range or course balls for that matter.  Figured I’d do a pulse check with the i230 group and see if anyone else had the same experience…guess I should have been ready for the roast lol.

I am by no means a ping loyalist - first venture with the brand with these 230s.  Definitely didn’t buy them based on bag appeal…I decided that this year, I’d finally swallow the pill and buy the best performing irons - regardless of looks.

NP, well you do have some very nice irons as I'm sure you will be satisfied with them

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

33 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Ok so has anyone pulled these apart and built with different shafts? I'm looking through other threads and it looks like this hosel is quite wide and a .355 is very loose... To the point where a collar is needed. This means I can't use bbf ferrules with out doing something extra. 

What have you guys been doing? Gluing collars into regular ferrules? Shims? I even saw @Nessismsay he's used dry wall tape as a means to center the shaft.

I really want to use bbf ferrules and not plain boring black collared ferrules. Help!!

I've used the GolfWorks collared ferrules with a ton of success over the years with Ping builds and Boyd ferrules. Just cut the collar off with a razor and and pre-epoxy it in the hosel. With some sets , even shafting beads and the collared rings still weren't a snug fit so I'd use fishing line or cut every other prong off of a shim so each would be centered. A lot more work than traditional and a couple extra $ , but the build is worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I didn't do the work myself, but I had my builder at Dallas Golf pull the AWT shafts from my i230 and replace them with Project X 6.0 steel, as well as use BB&F ferrules.  I didn't ask about the build process in detail, but I'm sure he'd explain it to you (his name is Austin, my name is Ryan if you want to call him and ask).

I've played them in one round since that time and each club felt totally solid.

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

I separated this post from my previous post since it covers a different topic than rebuild details.

This is mostly comparing i230 to ZX5/ZX4 mk II.  I shared some of the same info this week in the ZX mk II thread.

The summary is that, in my 9 hdcp opinion, the i230 are about as forgiving as the ZX4 mk II and slightly MORE forgiving than ZX5 mk II.

Both i230 and ZX4 are wonderfully forgiving on thin strikes.  On a bad heel or toe strike, the ball really does not move a whole lot for either ZX4 or i230.  Bad strikes with ZX5 made the ball move left or right more than either of the other two.  I'm not saying that i230 and ZX5 are comparable irons.  I don't think anyone would say that.  However, on the course, they had similar, wonderful performance for ME.

Surprisingly, my iron slots in the bag this year will come down to either 6-UW in i230 (plus the 6i of ZX4, operating as a 5i) or 6-PW in the ZX4 (with maybe the PW bent weak plus my Edel 50* gap wedge).  I do realize the lofts are very different.

Honestly both the i230 and ZX4 have similar feel to me too.  Both I find better than ZX5.  I tend to like a soft but springy feel - powerful but not clicky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

34 minutes ago, Arlin964 said:

I didn't do the work myself, but I had my builder at Dallas Golf pull the AWT shafts from my i230 and replace them with Project X 6.0 steel, as well as use BB&F ferrules.  I didn't ask about the build process in detail, but I'm sure he'd explain it to you (his name is Austin, my name is Ryan if you want to call him and ask).

I've played them in one round since that time and each club felt totally solid.

Thanks 🙏 

I think most guys are cutting the collars off and gluing them into the hosel first to help center it. Good to hear that it's definitely possible. 

• Like 1

For those with the set 4 iron, have you tossed around a i525?

Just not hitting it as well as I like…

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

5 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

For me personally the set 4 iron is amazingly long and forgiving. So much so that it's almost made my 20* srixon zx utility iron obsolete lol.  I'd imagine the 525 being even hotter but probably less spin. My interest now is getting the i230 3 iron and figuring out how to put my ventus black hb shaft in it 😅 

Quick update, still getting used to these irons. They are definitely longer than my zx7s by at least 8 yards of carry. But the best part is significantly less draw which is my miss. Also, ive hit a few horrid strikes out on the toe where there are no grooves and still hit the green LOL. Once I'm dialed in with these and some swing changes I'm working through these might get me tournament or two. 

14 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Yes - from TGW with steelfiber i95 in it.  Power spec'd.  Working like a driving iron for me.  i230 4i in on the bench.

• Like 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

i've had these for about 2 weeks now. the more i use them the more confidence i get. they are really long tho distance wise. been hitting my 7i between 190-195 - but still with enough spin to hold firm greens. 

my apex tcb was almost always 175-180 (arguably wayy to much spin tho). 

i'm loving the feel as well. like a muted clicky feel. 

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

i've had these for about 2 weeks now. the more i use them the more confidence i get. they are really long tho distance wise. been hitting my 7i between 190-195 - but still with enough spin to hold firm greens. 

my apex tcb was almost always 175-180 (arguably wayy to much spin tho). 

i'm loving the feel as well. like a muted clicky feel. 

More ball speed or what is difference launch wise? They def don’t go as far as like p790s right? Kinda similar, fly 7I 185ish with p750s and really don’t want to hit it 200 with these and have to redo gaps. Expecting a little more ball speed.

9 hours ago, Wardman said:

Yes - from TGW with steelfiber i95 in it.  Power spec'd.  Working like a driving iron for me.  i230 4i in on the bench.

How is the swingweight?

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

14 hours ago, Mookie91 said:

How is the swingweight?

It was around D1 and BillysGolf sold a weight to increase it a bit.  Easily set to what I wanted.

• Like 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Played again today. My irons have always given me trouble. My swing was off a majority of the day. However, these clubs are like cheating on mishits. Still keep their distance and line, well enough to still hit greens. 

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

30 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

did anyone find them to spin too much? I had to sell mine as they would get eaten alive into the wind. Standard spec

I am a high ball, high spin player. Went power spec and seemed to be ideal. Agree, these are on the spinny side compared to T100, Zx7 etc. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

Everyone keeps talking about how they spin so much.  Are you seeing an inordinate amount of spin on a launch monitor?  Ordered mine standard lofts about 4 weeks ago and still waiting.  Will play with for a few rounds and test out on launch monitor and decide if I need to send back for power spec.  Worried they may be too long then?

9 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

did anyone find them to spin too much? I had to sell mine as they would get eaten alive into the wind. Standard spec

4 hours ago, oc_mike said:

Everyone keeps talking about how they spin so much.  Are you seeing an inordinate amount of spin on a launch monitor?  Ordered mine standard lofts about 4 weeks ago and still waiting.  Will play with for a few rounds and test out on launch monitor and decide if I need to send back for power spec.  Worried they may be too long then?

They seem to spin the ball more than other irons.

For me, they are ideal. I spun my MP52s around 5000rpm with a 7i, the i230 (which is 2* STRONGER fwiw) launches similar but with 6700rpm. The spin difference goes all the way through the set, while the launch seems to be progressive. Wedges are nice and controlled, while my new 4i flys and lands like my previous 6 iron (in a good way). I have around 5 or 6 rounds in with them (since greens opened up after the winter) and these are changing the way I attack greens. Previously, I was never able to aggressively attack greens from further out than a 7i or even 8i, now I can actually hold a green with my 5i and even 4i.

In the wind they are still absolutely fine for me, although I had to adjust to the higher spin a little bit. This might differ for guys who already spin the ball a lot.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

5 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

They seem to spin the ball more than other irons.

For me, they are ideal. I spun my MP52s around 5000rpm with a 7i, the i230 (which is 2* STRONGER fwiw) launches similar but with 6700rpm. The spin difference goes all the way through the set, while the launch seems to be progressive. Wedges are nice and controlled, while my new 4i flys and lands like my previous 6 iron (in a good way). I have around 5 or 6 rounds in with them (since greens opened up after the winter) and these are changing the way I attack greens. Previously, I was never able to aggressively attack greens from further out than a 7i or even 8i, now I can actually hold a green with my 5i and even 4i.

In the wind they are still absolutely fine for me, although I had to adjust to the higher spin a little bit. This might differ for guys who already spin the ball a lot.

Absolutely the same for me. I was quite a low spin player with my irons and these have changed how I play for the better. I have mentioned it before, but the short irons are laser-like and it's just a question of getting the distance dialled in.

I've hit shots with these irons that I simply couldn't pull off with my old Mizuno JPX850s..

• Like 1

Tested the i230 today with the Modus 120 in S, only because that shaft was laying around from last year. I play the i210 with the Modus 120X. Obviously they didn't have this because it was last year's shaft. 

But the i230 was the stock head from Ping and I liked the feel. If I purchase the i230 in a stock offering, any ideas what this would slot into the Modus 120X? I would order the clubs with the AWT shaft which is 119g, compared to the 120g weight of the Modus 120x. Is it safe to assume that the weights of the shafts being similar and ordering the clubs at the stock i230 swing weight options should transfer to the 120X correctly?

Whatever shaft I get from Ping im going to pull the head and put them on my Modus 120X.

Any input appreciated. 

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x