LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

1 hour ago, mitchl said:

The number they keep throwing out lately is 100m dollars (83m pounds).  Assuming that is 4 years - that's $25m a year.

If what the LIV lawyer said is true that includes any prize money that he would get, then he is getting a flat $25m a year.

This year, so far, he made $10m on course.   He is also likely in line for some serious PIP dollars, lets say at least $5m.

He may not have $10m in sponsorships, but lets say half that - at $5m.   

So his income for this year will be $20m.     Yes, this could be his top year, and be all downhill after this.

But if it's not, he could make $20+m a year for the next 4,5,6 years.   

So LIV is a guarantee $100m over 4 years.   He may not have as many sponsorships, and he doesn't know if he will be able to play in majors - and certainly his OWGR will start to fall like a rock once he stops playing ranked tournaments.

That's a lot of gambling over $20m extra out of LIV, if it is even that.   And if he has friends on the PGA Tour, he won't after he leaves.   But he will have Pat Perez, Patrick Reed, and Charles Howell III to hang out with.    And it's going to be interesting to see how everyone gets along after the entire world finds out what Norman paid each golfer.   

Did you factor in the loss of money from sponsors dropping him?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

9 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I don't think that is true. He would still have status from his US open win if he was only gone a year. He might get a kicker on that as well for winning the API. Being suspended doesn't invalidate his previous accomplishments

Obviously don't know his contract details but I think he's signed up for four years?  Can't imagine him quitting and giving any money back.

Guessing he'd be banned for a year after asking for reinstatement. Four years of silliness followed by a year of no tournament golf isn't going to help his career. Potentially puts him outside his automatic berths in the majors as well. Going to have to earn it all, all over again. Five years during what would most likely be his prime. Not helping his legacy that personally I don't think he cares about.

As far as aspiring to be a youtuber that was mentioned, how many times have you heard someone say they'd rather be a youtuber than a professional golfer?

Just my opinions.

• Like 1

@MtlJeff

I couldn't even imagine the work it takes to become elite, let alone staying elite for long stretches. Most players have a small window of being elite because of this. 

Scottie if he wins the FedEx cup he is looking at $30 million plus. 

He is at $13 right now. Won $4 million for Comcast top 10, then FedEx is worth $18. $35 million Scottie is looking at... Purses are only going up, next year the top guy could get close to $40 million. And we're not talking PIP money, which looks to be increased as well. 

Of course it's not guaranteed...

23 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

there's been a lot of posts like this involving the younger guys, like "why would they leave , if you multiply their earning by the next X years they are barely making more". I know these posts mean well , but if you look at guys like Koepka, Bryson, Fowler, Spieth etc....These heaters dont always last and just staying a top 5 player is very challenging.

The point of the LIV money is that it's basically guaranteed short of them just folding, which right now seems very unlikely ( i don't think losing one court case about an injunction to play in the playoffs is going to have them close up shop)

Many of us i'm sure work in sales or some other job that has MBOs or commission structure. I know i can say if a company offered me not only a raise based on my highest year of income as a starting point, and guaranteed it over 4 years. I'd have a hard time passing that up assuming it's to do basically the same job.

I think sometimes we get lost a bit in the theory of things. This is their real life, and (apparently) real 100M dollars being given to Cam. To stay on the PGA he needs to stay this version of Cam for the next 4 years to even come close. A bird in the hand, as the old saying goes

I agree with you.

As I posted in the OG LIV thread, I find it interesting that Cam does not get the current LIV deal (dollars) if the pgat had 54 hole tournaments. He does not win the players or the open if not for a 4th round. His Sentry win may not have happened either since he and rahm were tied after 54.

• Thanks 1

Just to put this out again, LIV is claiming that advance money is totally separate from tournament winnings. The lawyer who seemed to say something different yesterday was supposedly talking about FedEx Cup money being taken from LIV players, not LIV advances. 

So Greg wants his players to play everywhere, they just won’t get paid for it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

34 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

there's been a lot of posts like this involving the younger guys, like "why would they leave , if you multiply their earning by the next X years they are barely making more". I know these posts mean well , but if you look at guys like Koepka, Bryson, Fowler, Spieth etc....These heaters dont always last and just staying a top 5 player is very challenging.

The point of the LIV money is that it's basically guaranteed short of them just folding, which right now seems very unlikely ( i don't think losing one court case about an injunction to play in the playoffs is going to have them close up shop)

Many of us i'm sure work in sales or some other job that has MBOs or commission structure. I know i can say if a company offered me not only a raise based on my highest year of income as a starting point, and guaranteed it over 4 years. I'd have a hard time passing that up assuming it's to do basically the same job.

I think sometimes we get lost a bit in the theory of things. This is their real life, and (apparently) real 100M dollars being given to Cam. To stay on the PGA he needs to stay this version of Cam for the next 4 years to even come close. A bird in the hand, as the old saying goes

I agree with you, it’s an individual calculus for each player and based on a number of factors, I can see how the magnitude of the liv offers made sense. 

Cam?

I hope he got 200MM at least if that’s what Phil got and guys like DJ and BD got 150.

Cams rolling. He’s cookin on gas!

And this is the most despicable aspect of liv. 

Cam has some cool game. He’s beat all the best in the world. Twice. 

In a world without liv, he might go total alpha, “I can beat all these chumps”.  He’d have no “safety net” so, while he can still make a fortune, he’d have to earn it every day. Knuckle down, Tony Montana!

al pacino scarface GIF

Instead, who knows if we will ever hear from this guy again. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sandpounder said:

Did you factor in the loss of money from sponsors dropping him?

that’s the big unknown.   My wild guess included a possible $5m loss of sponsorships.

but not everyone is losing sponsorships.   If he has sponsorships from Australia, he probably wouldn’t lose any of that.

For other sponsors, they have to calculate in what’s the value of being on the hit n giggle LIV tour?   The players don’t appear in front of the media as much, and their time on screen is less in LIV since they flip around so much more.

there is a question mark about the majors.   

2 hours ago, FriedEgg said:

I'm just one guy, but if they renege on those things I'll boycott every last one of them

Phil was suspended by the tour and didn't play this year. When DJ was suspended in 2014 he didn't play in the PGA or the 2012 Masters when he was rumored to be suspended.

I think there is a lot of precedent for tournaments honoring suspensions.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Davethegolfer said:

The update to the OGWR does nothing to support any tour other than PGAT. Why would you choose to play European Tour now let alone Australasian.  May as well sign for LIV. 

there is a big change in the OWGR which some are missing — it does away with the minimum points per tournament.    Because of that, the LIV tournaments this year would have got more points than the lower PGA events.   The way it was, there was a minimum value for the PGA which would have kept it higher in the tournaments with SoF under 150, which is about where LIV has been.

I don’t know what impact that does have for DPWT or the Asian tour … it could be that their points will now be often lower than their minimums.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davethegolfer said:

The update to the OGWR does nothing to support any tour other than PGAT. Why would you choose to play European Tour now let alone Australasian.  May as well sign for LIV. 

The majority of the professional players do not have the option to "sign for liv".  You have to be courted, bought by GN.  At this point if you're not a big name or someone red hot, (like Cam) top 50-60 OGWR, you're not getting in.

• Like 3

The absolute hypocrisy of these players that went to LIV " to play less golf and spend more time with their families...", but several are now talking of going to play over in Asia. Why?? OWGR points.  These guys want a lot of money and play in the majors.  I hope the majors refuse to let them play.  They chased the $$, but said it was to improve their quality of life with family etc.  BS.  It was for the money which may not be as great deal as they thought, because their winnings comes out of the guaranteed $$ they signed for and they are FORCED to play all the LIV events as part of their contract and they are choosing to play more.  One of the major fallouts of today's society...can't trust the words that come out of most people's mouths these days.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

49 minutes ago, johnseg said:

Phil was suspended by the tour and didn't play this year. When DJ was suspended in 2014 he didn't play in the PGA or the 2012 Masters when he was rumored to be suspended.

I think there is a lot of precedent for tournaments honoring suspensions.

Supposedly Phil was invited and welcome at the Masters this year, according to Fred Ridley's public statements, which I have not heard Phil dispute. DJ's suspension allegedly was for a personal behavior violation involving the use of illegal substances. 

IMHO the PGA/LIV fight is different. The Masters may not want to get involved in the battle between tours. That said, right now OWGR will take care of itself--it's unlikely any LIV players without eligibility from either being a previous Masters winner or a recent major tournament win will meet the Masters invitation eligibility standards as they fall out of OWGR. 

To refuse to invite players who have eligibility due to previous Masters wins or recent major tournament wins because of a spat between tours seems petty and beneath them. For everyone else, the lack of OWGR points (and very limited OWGR point earning options if LIV does start being awarded points given their format) will work itself out and they won't meet the eligibility standards for an invitation anyway. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

44 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

With the defeat in court and now all the questions regarding LIV and their contracts, etc. 

I wonder if their chances of getting a TV deal have now diminished. 

The easy answer is that when a player joins LIV they should resign from the PGA Tour and going forward there isn't a Media Rights issue in the North America market.  At least that is what the court filings make it look like. 

That said - I doubt any major network is still going to give LIV a contract in their current format.  And if they did the dollar figures would not be very high.

Edited by lowndes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

I agree with you, it’s an individual calculus for each player and based on a number of factors, I can see how the magnitude of the liv offers made sense. 

Cam?

I hope he got 200MM at least if that’s what Phil got and guys like DJ and BD got 150.

Cams rolling. He’s cookin on gas!

And this is the most despicable aspect of liv. 

Cam has some cool game. He’s beat all the best in the world. Twice. 

In a world without liv, he might go total alpha, “I can beat all these chumps”.  He’d have no “safety net” so, while he can still make a fortune, he’d have to earn it every day. Knuckle down, Tony Montana!

al pacino scarface GIF

Instead, who knows if we will ever hear from this guy again. 

I'm sure Cam (assuming he goes) would still love to play in all of the majors , and WGC's assuming they recognize LIV as world tour etc...

Since none of those conflict , i don't think, i don't believe LIV is telling him he cannot. It's the PGA tour (currently under investigation for Antitrust) and USGA , R&A etc telling him he (maybe) can't.

There's some aspects of LIV that people can call despicable, which we shouldn't discuss anymore per the rules, but at first weren't they just trying to be a compliment to the tour, so that we don't have to be bored by the Rocket Mortgage classic?

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic