2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

1 hour ago, jls667 said:

I agree, which is why pro-LIV discussion is silly. PIF likely just wants a seat at the professional golf table much like they've done with other sports and billion dollar businesses. It's probably only a matter of time before they try to weasel their way in to the NFL too.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that LIV was likely a disorganized creation when the PGAT didn't give PIF the time of day. They used their money to buy players and backdoor their way in to the group of golf super powers. Once that happens, and they have a seat at that table, LIV will likely be over because they'll no longer have a need for that money pit.

Another educated guess on my part is that the primary issue holding up the current merger discussions is how in the world do you bring the LIV guys back so they keep their money but you also do it in a way that doesn't piss off the current PGAT contingent. Sure they all want to play against each other (we all want that too) but the Tour players won't be satisfied with simply having the gang back together while the former LIV players use hundred dollar bills as handkerchiefs. 

It's silly for anyone to really tout the merits of LIV or how it's good for golf or anything like that. It's a Frankenstein tour that will no longer have value once PIF gets what they want.

My guess is that this deal is scheduled to occur at the end of next year when most of the big payouts contracts end.  And that the LIV guys would have to somehow earn their way back in if they wish to rejoin the PGA Tour.

And as noted in a post above Norman claims they are discussIng going to 72 holes but it needs to make economic sense….which would be a first for them.  He specifically mentions adding Thursday television as a deterrent.  Which makes sense considering they are footing the bill for television time…not getting paid for it like most sports leagues.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40013682/liv-golf-open-minded-moving-72-hole-format-greg-norman-says

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, idrive said:

What I don't understand is how anyone that truly likes golf, professional golf, thinks that liv is or has been good for golf.

I'm retired. I play a lot of golf with a lot of different groups of people.

Out of hundreds I've had one person say they think liv is good for the game.

The rest that pay attention to professional golf agree it's ruining the sport.

IMO, here in N America we don't need (or want) liv here helping us "grow the game".  If they (liv) truly want to grow the game then do it for the rest of the world. Take your tour where it might do some good growing the game.

But Normans revenge tour thinks otherwise. His goal isn't to grow the game but to dismantle the PGAT. That and or turn it into a feeder tour.

It's why we are where we are today. Shrinking the game. 

I think that is probably the difference in perceptions between US golf fans and the rest of the world.  

Ask a fan of the European Tour how the changes even pre-LIV made the ET better and a better opportunity to see the best golfers in the world.  Ask an Australian how professional golf was working in their country or region of the world.

I think our bias is impacting our opinions greatly on the status of the game, worldwide, currently.  It is probably not as bad as we perceive it to be and LIV is not as badly looked upon outside the United States as we feel it to be here.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Togatown22 said:

No real fan of competitive professional golf - be they American or European or otherwise - thinks it's BETTER to have fewer opportunities to watch the top players in the world competing against each other regularly, with something meaningful on the line based on how they perform. 

If one does, they aren't a fan of competitive golf, they are a fan of something different.  

It's really simple.  

Well, that is like, your opinion man.  

By that same logic, prior to LIV, any non-major is not worthy of being a fan of.  The Masters, due to how they build their field, is not a good major.

Ponder on this, what about when a tournament is just not competitive?  Is it or is it not then competitive professional golf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smashdn said:

I think that is probably the difference in perceptions between US golf fans and the rest of the world.  

Ask a fan of the European Tour how the changes even pre-LIV made the ET better and a better opportunity to see the best golfers in the world.  Ask an Australian how professional golf was working in their country or region of the world.

I think our bias is impacting our opinions greatly on the status of the game, worldwide, currently.  It is probably not as bad as we perceive it to be and LIV is not as badly looked upon outside the United States as we feel it to be here.

Like I said, do it for the rest of the world. 

Why should the PGAT be worried about the rest of the world.  They have their own golf tours.

Please read my post again and try and understand what I said.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, idrive said:

Please read my post again and try and understand what I said.

I understand.  It appears you failed to include or mention that there is a commercial aspect of this as well.  LIV needs the US market too.

If all you cared about was growing the game, you wouldn't be in the US at all.  Or England or even Australia.  But the PGAT has cut the legs out of the other tours that were serving those other parts of the world.  LIV is filling in that void or competing in those areas.  

We don't like that they are also doing it in the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, smashdn said:

I disagree, I’ve had a similar experience here in the UK where only one or two out of hundreds of people I’ve played with like LIV and think it’s good for the game. The vast majority I’ve played with see it as the rich getting richer and a group that left to a tour that won’t follow rankings rules but then cry they’ve no ranking points. All they’ve done is damage professional golf, Norman doesn’t want to grow the game - he just wants to destroy the pga tour. He doesn’t care what damage he inflicts to the game or his players in the process either.

I watch less golf overall now than before LIV existed and it’s not due to time or cost, it’s just the fact that I don’t like the LIV format and the pga tour has been watered down by their actions. The same would happen if half the f1 teams left to make their own competition or half the football teams left the premier league.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, Togatown22 said:

I guess your interpretation of logic and mind are different.  I specifically said "fewer" opportunities to compete against each other.  Not sure what the majors have to do with that statement.  LIV has moved talented professional golfers away from the entity where they used to all compete against each other - fewer opportunities for us to see them play against each other.   Why would someone who likes to watch competitive golf think that was a good thing?

I am the outsider on this argument. No one that has gone to LIV would make any difference as to whether I watched an event on a Sunday afternoon or not. And, so far, I like getting the “the best players”, who qualify, play against one another, only at the majors. I think it makes the majors bigger and heightens the intrigue/interest. Until there is the next Arnie or Tiger, viewership will continue to flatten because at the end of the day the product is still golf which I love to play and nap to while watching on Sunday afternoons.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

LIV Golf should definitely move to 72 holes and maybe 72 players. Turn this deal into a more legit competition, which would give them a pretty good case for world ranking points. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40013682/liv-golf-open-minded-moving-72-hole-format-greg-norman-says

He’s just tossing it out there. They aren’t ditching the teams and that would still get in the way of OWGR. Fans aren’t going to care about one more day of LIV and TV really won’t care. Just appeasing the wealthy Sultan of Rahm who must think he can “win” if there is one more day.  Well, you signed up for LIV not LXXII. 

15 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Replace "LIV" with "PGA Tour" and you have what it did to the European Tour.

The shoe is now on the other foot and they don't like it.  

Nah, the PGAT is doing just fine. IMO the USGA/RA is doing more damage to the tour than LIV with its nonsensical ball change drama. I also question the timing of it as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, smashdn said:

It’s not exactly the same, the DP world was on life support and the alliance w the PGAT actually raised purses. With that said LIV was needed to shake up golf ecosystem. The PGAT was making millions of dollars due to the golfers on the tour and their was no accountability for that money. 

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

The pga tour set up shop in Europe, scheduled events all over the UK, Ireland, and the Continent

And Paid guys to leave the DP tour and play events in the exact same countries in the same weeks as DP events?

IMG_2704.jpeg

But do you understand the difference between "how" and "what"?  The difference between methods and effect?

Reread what you quoted of mine and then ask yourself, "Did I respond thinking he said the methods were the same or that the effects were the same?"

10 hours ago, smashdn said:

I wonder how many times this same tired take has been posted in this thread (or the others that got locked)? Still nonsense.

• Like 2

And OWGR grants approval for ranking points to the Clutch Pro Tour - a tour which has 54 hole events.

This nonsense about LIV going to 72 is just noise which has zero impact on the OWGR points issue (OWGR has said as much).  It might be helpful for those players who still compete in majors to be playing 72 holes, but as for ranking points - doesn't matter.

https://www.owgr.com/news/clutch-pro-tour

• Like 1