2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

4 hours ago, johnseg said:

I am sure others will feel different but saying you are playing on a Golf Now rated, $60 a round course doesn't push my buttons. That really doesn't inspire me to tune in.

I would say this is a true preception, or most the time people relate price as "how good" a golf course is.  Personally have never played Bolingbrook but someone I play with has and said it is a great course.  Note from the back it is tough..! I am sure like any course they can set it up to be hard as they want. 

I do find the price of $60 interesting as it caters to a broader range or more the common golfer. 

Played a number of TPC courses and honestly most are "okay" and not worth the $$$ IMHO.  Some good ones but most are "okay".   

Never made sense to me when the PGAT said they where buidling courses to grow the game and we all know it was not really true.  I guess it is true if the model is  "we growing the game at $250 a pop"  😁

One nice thing is the PGAT this year plays on 25 courses that the public can play.  Some good ones on the list too.  I still think it is funny how they claim the majors when they have zero to do with them LOL.  

The pricing of the courses they are playing seem to range around $180ish to $500 plus now.  Having played a handful of them can honeslty say a number of them are over priced.   I know it was an appeal for a long time that people would say "PGAT plays here" but that seems to have gone to the way side as many of those courses started to price gouge for that fact.   

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/pga-tour-new-2024-schedule-new-public-courses-events 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, golfday said:

I've always thought that when a great course is on TV, more fans will watch. It's true for me at least. Maybe they're going to turn that assumption upside down and see if more people watch when you a play a course that anyone can play and can afford to play.

I will but almost always on TV it’s hard to appreciate them. 

11 hours ago, johnseg said:

I am sure others will feel different but saying you are playing on a Golf Now rated, $60 a round course doesn't push my buttons. That really doesn't inspire me to tune in.

lol...Bolingbrook has a slope rating of 142, yet TPC Louisiana is 138 and it doesn't inspire you. You do know that any course can be set up to play as hard as you want it to be?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jdl said:

9 hours ago, CDM said:

I would say this is a true preception, or most the time people relate price as "how good" a golf course is.  Personally have never played Bolingbrook but someone I play with has and said it is a great course.  Note from the back it is tough..! I am sure like any course they can set it up to be hard as they want. 

I do find the price of $60 interesting as it caters to a broader range or more the common golfer. 

Played a number of TPC courses and honestly most are "okay" and not worth the $$$ IMHO.  Some good ones but most are "okay".   

Never made sense to me when the PGAT said they where buidling courses to grow the game and we all know it was not really true.  I guess it is true if the model is  "we growing the game at $250 a pop"  😁

One nice thing is the PGAT this year plays on 25 courses that the public can play.  Some good ones on the list too.  I still think it is funny how they claim the majors when they have zero to do with them LOL.  

The pricing of the courses they are playing seem to range around $180ish to $500 plus now.  Having played a handful of them can honeslty say a number of them are over priced.   I know it was an appeal for a long time that people would say "PGAT plays here" but that seems to have gone to the way side as many of those courses started to price gouge for that fact.   

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/pga-tour-new-2024-schedule-new-public-courses-events 

9 hours ago, Rob G 89 said:

Should of picked harborside so they were actually playing in city limits and much better course I’m assuming 

Probably not a matter of what they pick - it’s which course wants the hassle of having any event weighed against the benefits, which largely are what is being paid for the use of the course.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, notsohard said:

lol...Bolingbrook has a slope rating of 142, yet TPC Louisiana is 138 and it doesn't inspire you. You do know that any course can be set up to play as hard as you want it to be?

I've played Bolingbrook and I'd consider it a potential tournament caliber layout.  I think it's a surprising pick for the championship though as it's not particularly challenging by pro golf standards.  Add more bunkers and mounding and it's pretty similar to Louisiana.  Slope is irrelevant to scratch or better players.  TPC Louisiana rates 2 strokes higher which is the appropriate metric comparison for a pro tournament.  That's not a knock on Bolingbrook but I would expect the event to be a shootout, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by RobS
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, notsohard said:

I'm not sure how they got that slope rating, but I don't believe it's rated correctly.  You can hit the ball all over creation out there and still score.  I had a round there last year where I hit zero fairways, 5 greens and still shot a 76.  Outside of a couple of the holes, there's no real trouble that's in play unless your 50+ yards offline.  Anybody who hits it 300 yards can take some pretty insane lines on holes resulting in being right up next to the green, or having a short iron into a par 5.  All the fairway bunkers sit in the 260-270 range from the back of the tee boxes, meaning they won't be in play at all.   Without building some tee boxes to add 30-40 yards to each hole, this course is just too short for the best players.  Even the greens are not tough, you could cruise them up to US Open speeds, but there's very little slope to most of them.  This course was built to be playable/scorable for all levels of amateur golf, it wasn't built to hold a tournament for some of the worlds best players.   There's only so much you can do to make a place difficult.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, RobS said:

I've played Bolingbrook and I'd consider it a potential tournament caliber layout.  I think it's a surprising pick for the championship though as it's not particularly challenging by pro golf standards.  Add more bunkers and mounding and it's pretty similar to Louisiana.  Slope is irrelevant to scratch or better players.  TPC Louisiana rates 2 strokes higher which is the appropriate metric comparison for a pro tournament.  That's not a knock on Bolingbrook but I would expect the event to be a shootout, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Glad you wrote that about Slope Rating because there are no bogey golfers out there playing. I regularly play a course that is Rated 75.2 from the tips but that course is so far away from a tour level course that it can't be calculated. Granted, I have not played at Bolingbrook but I have looked at the "tour" on their website and I see a flat wide open course.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, johnseg said:

Glad you wrote that about Slope Rating because there are no bogey golfers out there playing. I regularly play a course that is Rated 75.2 from the tips but that course is so far away from a tour level course that it can't be calculated. Granted, I have not played at Bolingbrook but I have looked at the "tour" on their website and I see a flat wide open course.

Most of the holes you're looking at 50-70 yard wide fairways where they'd be landing golf balls.  I think there's  There is water out there, and some OB, but in a lot of places you can hit the ball 100 yards offline and still have a shot at the green.  Wind is the biggest defense that course has, but it's got so much room that I don't see insane wind even being an issue.  There's two driveable par 4's for them, possibly more depending how they set the tees.  The two short par 5's will probably have to play as 4's.  The other two are reachable by them, one will be a driver/mid to short iron and the other is 600+ but still can be reached (normally plays downwind).   The toughest hole for them to navigate will probably be the 230 yard par 3,  it's a smaller green and a lot of rough lies around the green, but this hole also normally plays downwind.   The island green is cool, but the complex is about 40 yards wide by almost 70 yards deep, not to much to manage from 160 yards. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I used to live by and play Bolingbrook regularly.  I know from speaking around that LIV had hit up multiple private clubs and nobody wanted them.  The owner of Rich Harvest felt it was a bad experience for his club which is why they aren't there again this year.  I assume multiple public venues told them no as well, Bolingbrook is a last resort type course for something like this.  The course is not designed for professional golfers of the highest level.  From the tips, any trouble sits 260-270 out, they'll be flying it over all of that.  The fairways are very generous and the greens are not challenging on any level.  Most of the hazards/OB wouldn't be considered in play for a touring pro at all, barely in play for low handicap golfers.    The course itself is very overrated by a lot of publications, it's not a very thrilling golf course to play.  Arthur Hills phoned this design in big time.  Unless there's hurricane level winds, I would not be shocked to see multiple rounds under 60 and a winning score that goes beyond -30.   A guy like Bryson should absolutely destroy this place, even on his worst day. 

Selecting a course like this while trying to maintain you're a top tour, is nothing short of laughable.  I think they would have been better served cancelling the Chicago event than trying to promote this.  In the Chicago area, this news is getting them laughed at more than anything.

There will be a lot of low 60's put up.  They hosted a mini tour event there a few years ago and there were some 8 and 9 under rounds.  

• Like 1

Mountain King is dead on about Bolingbrook. The green complexes were not built to challenge top level players, they were built to be affordable to maintain by a course built on a municipal budget. The only defense out there is wind, and even then the fairways are wide enough that the players wouldn't have to worry much. In the rare occasion one of these players misses a green, the recovery shot will always be the same spinny flop shot to 18 inches. There will be zero strategy for any players in this tournament, and the biggest drama might be which caddy falls asleep first from a lack of anything to do or think about. Seriously, for an elite pro the course is basically the same hole 14 times over plus 4 par 3's.

The video review higher up is a little misleading about one thing -- the range isn't mats and chewed up turf, that's the range by the training center but the range also has a nice set of tees on the other side by the clubhouse. 

It's not a bad course, it's a pretty good one. It's fun for most any golfer. You could have a State Open out there and not apologize for it, I guess. But it's on par with places like Orchard Valley, Stonewall Orchard, Thunderhawk, or a dozen other upscale municipal builds in the Chicagoland area. All very good golf courses that have no business hosting a shotgun outing with 5-6 of the best players in the world, a large handful of mid-tier Tour players, and Anthony Kim (actually, this might be a really good place for Anthony Kim right now).

Crooked Cat/Panther Lake didn't even cut off public tee times on their other course until the LIV Event started last year, so maybe after the shotgun is finished at Bolingbrook people can still get out in the afternoon?

So I got to thinking -- what courses in the Chicago area would have been better for LIV?

Obviously the clubs with existing relationships with the Tour, USGA and PGA are out, so scratch Medinah, Olympia Fields and Glen Club.

The only LIV courses in North America that have hosted multiple LIV events are the ones that had and lost PGA Tour events (Mayakoba, Doral and Greenbrier) so it's kind of telling that Cog Hill and Conway Farms aren't interested. I'm sure they are among the first places LIV would call.

Merit Club had the US Womens Open years ago, that's a good course but they probably said no thanks.

Kemper Lakes is an obvious one (they are not affiliated with Kemper Management any more) since I'm sure Greg Norman would love going back to where he won the 1986 Grand Slam of Golf.

Would never happen but would be awesome would be to go to one of the private clubs that have hosted US Opens in the past (forget Chicago Golf Club, but you've got Glen View Club, Onwentsia, North Shore, Skokie and Midlothian). No way any of those would stick their heads up, but it sure is neat to dream.

LIV talks about growing the game of golf and it's time they do something about the ridiculous discrimination against clubs with male-only memberships. They should hold their event at Butler National.

The Links at Carillon is close to Bolingbrook and for sale, they could just buy it and not have to worry about asking around in the future (this is a joke ... kind of).

Harborside is a obvious one, but an even better option to highlight what can be done with public money golf construction/management -- George Dunne. That course is awesome, beautiful and if you get the greens up to speed some of them could pose some dramatic challenge.  It's got some great holes and that course has deserved more recognition for years. Only thing is they would probably need to reverse the Nines so they would have an 18th hole with room for galleries, while the current 17 and 18 are the best holes out there. And they got to get some sand in those bunkers.

But the more I think about it the more obvious it is that there is one course in the Chicagoland area that would be perfect for LIV golf.

Canal Shores in Evanston.

Pros:

-- It's a Kemper Management course, so it's already run by a company willing to do business with LIV.

-- At 3,612 yards and a par 60, Al Rumayyan's dream of seeing a LIV player shoot 54 or better should come true.

-- Ease of access for fans is second to none. Not only is there an L station right over the first tee, the course is bisected by 5 city streets.

-- Because Northwestern is rebuilding their football stadium this year, the fairways aren't going to be used for overflow parking that Saturday.

-- The pace of play should be relatively quick, which I believe LIV has said is an advantage of the shotgun format.

-- Rich tournament history. About 30 years ago they tried watering the greens for a few weeks and cobbled together $30,000 for a tournament called the "Evanston-Wilmette Open" (it was the 75th anniversary of the course or something). Tim Herron, newly graduated from college and driving home to Minnesota, heard about it while he was driving through Illinois, pulled off the highway, and knocked out his first professional win thanks to getting up and down left handed from the base of a chain link fence on #16.

-- The lack of fences around the course means the 400-500 paying customers can come and go as they please. Sure, most people will just walk up and go for free but it seems that's the same amount most LIV ticketholders pay anyway.

Cons:

-- Crowd control over the beer line at the snack shack by #4 will be tough since it's only about 15 yards from the 4th green so people might stand on the green when the line gets long. But if the line turns left it's on the 9th tee and if it goes right it will go into the street and block the sidewalk where players need to access the bridge to cross the sanitation canal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mojo_wire said:

Would never happen but would be awesome would be to go to one of the private clubs that have hosted US Opens in the past (forget Chicago Golf Club, but you've got Glen View Club, Onwentsia, North Shore, Skokie and Midlothian). No way any of those would stick their heads up, but it sure is neat to dream.

Chicago Golf Club would actually get me to watch a LIV event. I grew up in Wheaton and caddied there. 

I never would have had a chance at membership of course, but I can actually say I've played the course as if you carried three times in the previous week you could play on Mondays...

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 5/1/2024 at 2:03 AM, JungleJimbo said:

How do you qualify for the championship? If every member of LIV qualifies, it is just another event with a meaningless title attached. Top 25-30 no teams 72 hole stroke play winner takes all would have been a draw, what they are doing is putting lipstick on a pig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mojo_wire said:

Mountain King is dead on about Bolingbrook. The green complexes were not built to challenge top level players, they were built to be affordable to maintain by a course built on a municipal budget. The only defense out there is wind, and even then the fairways are wide enough that the players wouldn't have to worry much. In the rare occasion one of these players misses a green, the recovery shot will always be the same spinny flop shot to 18 inches. There will be zero strategy for any players in this tournament, and the biggest drama might be which caddy falls asleep first from a lack of anything to do or think about. Seriously, for an elite pro the course is basically the same hole 14 times over plus 4 par 3's.

The video review higher up is a little misleading about one thing -- the range isn't mats and chewed up turf, that's the range by the training center but the range also has a nice set of tees on the other side by the clubhouse. 

It's not a bad course, it's a pretty good one. It's fun for most any golfer. You could have a State Open out there and not apologize for it, I guess. But it's on par with places like Orchard Valley, Stonewall Orchard, Thunderhawk, or a dozen other upscale municipal builds in the Chicagoland area. All very good golf courses that have no business hosting a shotgun outing with 5-6 of the best players in the world, a large handful of mid-tier Tour players, and Anthony Kim (actually, this might be a really good place for Anthony Kim right now).

Crooked Cat/Panther Lake didn't even cut off public tee times on their other course until the LIV Event started last year, so maybe after the shotgun is finished at Bolingbrook people can still get out in the afternoon?

So I got to thinking -- what courses in the Chicago area would have been better for LIV?

Obviously the clubs with existing relationships with the Tour, USGA and PGA are out, so scratch Medinah, Olympia Fields and Glen Club.

The only LIV courses in North America that have hosted multiple LIV events are the ones that had and lost PGA Tour events (Mayakoba, Doral and Greenbrier) so it's kind of telling that Cog Hill and Conway Farms aren't interested. I'm sure they are among the first places LIV would call.

Merit Club had the US Womens Open years ago, that's a good course but they probably said no thanks.

Kemper Lakes is an obvious one (they are not affiliated with Kemper Management any more) since I'm sure Greg Norman would love going back to where he won the 1986 Grand Slam of Golf.

LIV talks about growing the game of golf and it's time they do something about the ridiculous discrimination against clubs with male-only memberships. They should hold their event at Butler National.

The Links at Carillon is close to Bolingbrook and for sale, they could just buy it and not have to worry about asking around in the future (this is a joke ... kind of).

Harborside is a obvious one, but an even better option to highlight what can be done with public money golf construction/management -- George Dunne. That course is awesome, beautiful and if you get the greens up to speed some of them could pose some dramatic challenge.  It's got some great holes and that course has deserved more recognition for years. Only thing is they would probably need to reverse the Nines so they would have an 18th hole with room for galleries, while the current 17 and 18 are the best holes out there. And they got to get some sand in those bunkers.

But the more I think about it the more obvious it is that there is one course in the Chicagoland area that would be perfect for LIV golf.

Canal Shores in Evanston.

Pros:

-- It's a Kemper Management course, so it's already run by a company willing to do business with LIV.

-- At 3,612 yards and a par 60, Al Rumayyan's dream of seeing a LIV player shoot 54 or better should come true.

-- Ease of access for fans is second to none. Not only is there an L station right over the first tee, the course is bisected by 5 city streets.

-- Because Northwestern is rebuilding their football stadium this year, the fairways aren't going to be used for overflow parking that Saturday.

-- The pace of play should be relatively quick, which I believe LIV has said is an advantage of the shotgun format.

-- Rich tournament history. About 30 years ago they tried watering the greens for a few weeks and cobbled together $30,000 for a tournament called the "Evanston-Wilmette Open" (it was the 75th anniversary of the course or something). Tim Herron, newly graduated from college and driving home to Minnesota, heard about it while he was driving through Illinois, pulled off the highway, and knocked out his first professional win thanks to getting up and down left handed from the base of a chain link fence on #16.

-- The lack of fences around the course means the 400-500 paying customers can come and go as they please. Sure, most people will just walk up and go for free but it seems that's the same amount most LIV ticketholders pay anyway.

Cons:

-- Crowd control over the beer line at the snack shack by #4 will be tough since it's only about 15 yards from the 4th green so people might stand on the green when the line gets long. But if the line turns left it's on the 9th tee and if it goes right it will go into the street and block the sidewalk where players need to access the bridge to cross the sanitation canal.

Chicago has a lot of great golf courses, but not a lot of great golf courses for the highest level of comp.  Dubs is the obvious choice, but they still think the PGA would eventually return.  Harborside is a good choice, a challenging 18 can be made out of the 36.  Makray has some brutal greens, but like most public courses here it's just not long enough. 

I know LIV had hit a few private clubs around here and got turned away.  From what I understand at Rich Harvest, they had to replace a couple greens after their last event, and the owner was on the fence about hosting the event to begin with.  Kemper would be a great option like you suggested, but my guess they also have hopes of doing something with the PGA.  Butler IMO seems like it would be a great place for LIV. Feel like that membership would align well with LIV. 

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how the pro's play the course.  I used to be a member of the range when I lived by there and played a ton of rounds there.  It's always cool to see how my game compares to the worlds best.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 hours ago, TiScape said:

Oh wow! There is a muni by me that is about $60 and has an “iconic” island green on hole 9 (their signature hole). Only a 4.2 on GolfNow though. The thought of a professional event there is quite simply, ridiculous to me. But kinda cool at the same time. 

Maybe LIV will finally answer that age old question of weekend golfers everywhere ... "I wonder what the pros would shoot if they played (insert name of local muni)?"  Now we just need to keep the unrepaired divots in the fairway and ball marks on the green and we will all have our answer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

From what I understand at Rich Harvest, they had to replace a couple greens after their last event, 

Any idea what caused that?  I wouldn't think LIV is pushing greens to US Open or "bikini wax" levels.

I don't know much about Butler National and because of that reason I would have tuned in same as when we got a peak of Seminole on TV.

Edited by smashdn

On 4/30/2024 at 10:03 AM, smashdn said:

Fair enough.  When it comes to a battle of funds, LIV has more than the PGAT or more willingness to spend those funds to meet what it is angling for than the other.

That’s true but I’d say the tour has more structure. For the amount of money that PIF has LIV is a disappointment.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, smashdn said:

Any idea what caused that?  I wouldn't think LIV is pushing greens to US Open or "bikini wax" levels.

I don't know much about Butler National and because of that reason I would have tuned in same as when we got a peak of Seminole on TV.

Trying to get the green speeds up. Bent grass in Sept/Oct grows like crazy, very difficult to get fast speeds without almost scalping the grass.  I heard that's what happened.

Butler is a men's only club.  They allow no women on the property. The entrance sits inside a public course's parking lot that I live by.  I've seen women drive up and drop their husbands at the gate because they wouldn't be allowed past it.  Part of why the PGA pulled out.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

Anyone notice that Jon Rahm isn’t on the Callaway sight anymore?

https://www.callawaygolf.com/team/pga-tour/

Saw a few posts last week saying the same. Not really surprised if they’ve indeed parted ways. He doesn’t need the $ and could play whatever he wants. And from Cally’s perspective, he’s no longer the player they originally signed from an exposure standpoint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scotee said:

Bryson DeChambeau talks up LIV Golf.

True? False? Good prediction? Delusion?

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 8.44.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 8.44.21 PM.png

Just planned "talking points" so LIV could have some clickbait headlines across all sorts of "media" just before the event this week, nothing surprising (you don't really expect him to say anything that makes sense?).

But I'm sure they appreciate wrx being used as one of the outlets, lol.

• Like 3