2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

I will watch all sorts of golf this weekend.  LIV is on now while I'm having lunch.  I caught a few minutes of the Travelers but gave up after the third commercial break in less than 20 minutes.  LPGA action in the evening is great too, with a west coast location for their event.

I've never been one to be beholden to mega-corps.  I have the same loyalty to the PGAT as I do to say Ford, Pepsi, Walmart.  None.  I've owned 10 different makes of cars, drink all sorts of different beers, and I watch all sorts of different golf.  

Hell, my current bag makeup has 7 different brands of clubs (I have a Mizuno driving iron in addition to the clubs listed) and I play a Callaway ball.  So 8 different mfgs.  I really don't get a strong loyalty to mega-corps.

Edited by subrew
  • Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

1 hour ago, Archimedes65 said:

BTW, IMO, simple thing that LIV got totally wrong was by forming teams with goofy names with no ties to cities or states.  If I were them, I would change that immediately.  Fans don’t get invested in a team with a random name like the Fireballs, but they do get invested in a team aligned with their city or state.

I can take or leave the team part of it.  I think the names have to sort of be generic because there is going to be some churn, albeit low, and it makes even less sense to have "The Spaniards" with two players on the team not from Spain or something like that.

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

Gooch nearly aced the fifth.  Rolled and hit the flagstick.

Another par 3 flagstick hit on the 13th by Gooch.

DriverCobra Radspeed XB | Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S
3 WoodCobra Radspeed |Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

5 WoodCobra Radspeed | Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

UtilityMizuno MP225 3i | Mitsubishi MMT 105S

4-5 IronMizuno MP225 | KBS $-Taper 120

6-PMizuno MP223 | KBS $-Taper 120

52° & 58°Cobra Snakebite |KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - 2022 Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I don't guess I need to convince anyone of anything regarding LIV.  I watch it.  I watch the PGAT as well.  There are things I like and dislike about both.  I don't need to denigrate one to justify my choice to watch the other.  I don't think it needs to be an either or situation the way folks want it to be for some reason.

I don't sit by and let it LIV get run into the ground here though.  Again, I don't see the need to denigrate something that is not drastically dissimilar to other golf products when you view it through the lens that it is only a professional golf television broadcast after all.  I am not trying to justify my choice of watching it by running the other options down.

Most people don't have the free time you have to watch 6 to 8 hours of golf on the weekend's. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

cheers sdn, you’re a very accomplished golfer in your own right and I don’t question why liv appeals to you or others. 

Im actually pretty shocked that signing basically 50% of the top guys, as defined by popularity and accomplishments combined, has not resulted in more success with fans.

I think for you, you’re a great player and enjoy watching great players and their swings from that perspective. Other reasons as well perhaps

But why is it that so many people, like myself, who got excited to see Rahm, BK, BD, DJ tee it up on the tour, can’t even watch 2 minutes of liv without shuttin it off quickly? 

Anyway, I appreciate your posts 🍻 

What turns you off about it so much? I agree it's kinda weird to watch Bryson hit a chip shot to house music, but other than that it's not that crazy different

But the caddie/player interactions can be fun, they have a lot of good audio to those discussions

The average LIV tournament is not a major or WGC event. But compared to your usual tour stop i don't see why it's less interesting. If people have some sort of moral opposition to it, i'm not going to debate that. That's their right.....i just mean for people truly just looking at it like golf. 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

15 minutes ago, dalehead said:

The answer(s) to me are:

Of the 54 LIV players there are 6 who I have any interest in watching play golf. Of the rest of the players 2/3 are has beens or never weres and the rest are players I had no interest in when they were on the PGAT.

Continuity of the telecast. Showing more golf shots is fine, but for me LIV’s presentation is too disjointed. A bunch of shots, mostly putts, from players, whether or not they are even in contention. LIV quantity is great,quality not so much.

The music that bleeds into the telecast.

Arlo White, who tells us unceasingly that we are watching the best players in the world. “The eyes of the golf world are on Nashville this week”, the crowds are huge, the courses magnificent, the team competition is nail biting, all in a delivery style fitting a late night infomercial and with an English accent I gotta believe even Englishmen would find grating.

Jerry Foltz. Annoying when he was on the Golf Channel.  Now taking shilling to new heights.

David Feherty. He’s great. In small doses. Seems to be mailing it in on LIV.

The golf courses. I’d call them second rate, but that might be over rating them.

What is not on the list is Saudi involvement, money, 54 holes, no cut, or shorts. For me it just comes down to the product being unwatchable. 

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

What turns you off about it so much? I agree it's kinda weird to watch Bryson hit a chip shot to house music, but other than that it's not that crazy different

But the caddie/player interactions can be fun, they have a lot of good audio to those discussions

The average LIV tournament is not a major or WGC event. But compared to your usual tour stop i don't see why it's less interesting. If people have some sort of moral opposition to it, i'm not going to debate that. That's their right.....i just mean for people truly just looking at it like golf. 

Was about to reply to dh post then saw yours, my reply applies to both

Jeff, as soon as I put it on, I see the shorts, hear the mumble rap, see the sellout players, I immediately think,

these guys don’t give a crap and you know what, I don’t give a crap about this either 🤣

Right or wrong, that’s the vibe I get and I’ll just bet a ton (if not a majority) of golf viewers feel the same way. 

How else can you explain that everyone was so psyched to see these guys play on the PGA tour and now have no interest in seeing them? 

The only way I think liv can get traction is to get the top names playing head to head against each other. 

Maybe switch to match play so weekly you’d see,

BK vs Bryson

Rahm vs Cam

DJ vs Phil 

Then keep have the captains play each other so they are head to head as much as possible. 

That could be interesting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Was about to reply to dh post then saw yours, my reply applies to both

Jeff, as soon as I put it on, I see the shorts, hear the mumble rap, see the sellout players, I immediately think,

these guys don’t give a crap and you know what, I don’t give a crap about this either 🤣

Right or wrong, that’s the vibe I get and I’ll just bet a ton (if not a majority) of golf viewers feel the same way. 

How else can you explain that everyone was so psyched to see these guys play on the PGA tour and now have no interest in seeing them? 

The only way I think liv can get traction is to get the top names playing head to head against each other. 

Maybe switch to match play so weekly you’d see,

BK vs Bryson

Rahm vs Cam

DJ vs Phil 

Then keep have the captains play each other so they are head to head as much as possible. 

That could be interesting 

Yeah i get it.....LIV golf is kinda like watching NBA basketball in January. It's the Pacers vs the Raptors and 30% of the guys are dogging it. I know what you mean----Like i'm not under the impression Dustin Johnson really cares about any of this. 

But there's guys who do, and i can watch it on my phone while my daughter watches TV, and some of the audio interactions are nice. That's all LIV is to me. 

The majors are compelling golf. The rest is just passing the time mostly, though in some of the year end events i'm sure the guys do care about the extra $$$

It is what it is. Other than the majors i probably watch 50-50 LIV and PGA. But it's not because i think Phil Mickelson is out there grinding. It's more the ease of watching

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

No fans, shorts, Sergio looking like an ice cream truck driver in his goofy shirt and team hat, music playing in the background.  It looks like someone turned a webcam on at the local public course during a junior tournament.  But most importantly, meaningless golf in that the tournament has no history (who knows where it’ll be the next year) and the guys playing have already been paid.  They’re just competing for tips.  And many of them are just mailing it in.  Doesn’t make for riveting entertainment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, subrew said:

It sorta feels like you haven't watched much LIV this year.  The broadcast has changed quite a bit from the early days.  

With regard to continuity:  They now have featured groups, so you see all their prep work, and often have multiple caddies mic'd up.  They also can respond very quickly when someone makes a run and moves towards the lead who isn't in that featured groups.  Today's group was Bryson, Rahm, and Ortiz.  But Hatton made a run and started showing his shots, including prep with his caddie.  The first year they just hammered you with a billion shots back and forth.  It is not at all like that now.

The music is very much toned down, and not on all the holes.  In the last hour of coverage, it has barely been present.  It is on the party hole, and you started hearing it as the featured groups came down 18.  Zero music on 17, and many other holes a ways away from the festival grounds.  It's been like this at most events this year.

I have zero issues with 54 holes, the shotgun format (I like it actually) or wearing shorts. 

The three presenters are what they are.  There is always a hype man, a company man, and a funny guy.  I typically dislike presenters in all forms of sports.  I can't listen to half the PGAT presenters either.  And I'll never forget seeing Todd Lewis actually crying last year when the news broke of a possible PGAT/LIV merger.  Talk about a shill. 

It just feels like the people vocalizing their distaste for watching LIV, don't actually watch LIV.  Or maybe tried it a few times last year, and then just check down the list of common issues that are different than a typical PGAT broadcast.

I agree that the telecast has gotten better since the first season. And you are correct that I don’t watch a lot of LIV in terms of hours of screen time. But I do check in on every tournament with the attitude that maybe this time it will catch my interest. After a half hour or so I kinda say to myself “It’s just golf on TV.” With mostly players I don’t care about, presented in a style that doesn’t appeal to me, on courses I find forgettable.

I’ve had the same experience with soccer on TV. For years I’ve tried to like it, but it just leaves me cold. Like I said, the LIV product doesn’t appeal to me. To those to whom it does appeal I say”Enjoy.”

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

No fans, shorts, Sergio looking like an ice cream truck driver in his goofy shirt and team hat, music playing in the background.  It looks like someone turned a webcam on at the local public course during a junior tournament.  But most importantly, meaningless golf in that the tournament has no history (who knows where it’ll be the next year) and the guys playing have already been paid.  They’re just competing for tips.  And many of them are just mailing it in.  Doesn’t make for riveting entertainment.

I'm all for bashing either tour for various things because at this point i really don't care all that much, but if shorts and music bothers you that much (almost every other sport has both) than OK. 

I understand there's very little "prestige" in winning the nashville LIV event"  but i'm not sure how much there is in winning the Canadian Open either. There's like 8-10 golf events a year that really move the needle one way or the other. 

Rory was the highest paid golfer in the world last year i believe and he was on the PGA tour. So Rahm got his 100M from LIV (and many sponsors left him)....Rory has his brand partnerships with the tour and his TGL deals and etc. He is making 100M whether he wins an event or not. I don't see much difference to either of them grinding over 6 footers in July in some second rate event but that's just me. I think "the players have been paid" argument is pretty irrelevant to the top guys on either tour these days

• Like 4

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

The golf courses. I’d call them second rate, but that might be over rating them.

... Just wait til they play Bolingbrook Golf Club. 😱  I lived in Bolingbrook for 40 years and probably played there 5 times and only because friends wanted to try out the course. I played Naperbrook, an average at best muni right down the road that was always more enjoyable. Other than a huge island green that is hard to miss for an Am, there is not a single memorable hole out there. Foot traffic will be a nightmare for the 643 partier's that show up to watch. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

9 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

I read that Rahm was paid $500,000,000 for going to Liv.  I also read that he gave up about $20,000,000 per year in sponsor money when he went over.  IMO he has lost his motivation to win.  He likes playing on the PGA Tour because he likes having a large audience see his mastery with golf and it's not happening on Liv.

I can't imagine attending a professional golf tournament that had music blaring.  I like music, I don't like being force fed someone else's idea of what is music for the entirety of the event.  Liv to me is someone's idea of "dumbing down golf for the common man", it seems presumptuous.  Butt that's me.

What I really don't get is having generational wealth doing what you love and giving that up for more money.

I do believe the top guys likely have some remorse. Koepka seemed to indicate that.....I would bet if you put Bryson on a lie detector he'd rather be on the PGA tour. Rahm it's only been a moment, but i could also see it. 

I think they likely miss the history and for lack of a better word.....the lack of anything they do adding to their Wikipedia bio. 

It doesn't really make me not want to watch LIV when i have a moment though. 

Money is a weird thing. I'm sure at some point in their life these guys thought "if i just make X i'll never need a penny more" --but not many people are really like that. So many of us end up wanting more even if we don't need it. 

• Like 3

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

I do believe the top guys likely have some remorse. Koepka seemed to indicate that.....I would bet if you put Bryson on a lie detector he'd rather be on the PGA tour. Rahm it's only been a moment, but i could also see it. 

I think they likely miss the history and for lack of a better word.....the lack of anything they do adding to their Wikipedia bio. 

It doesn't really make me not want to watch LIV when i have a moment though. 

Money is a weird thing. I'm sure at some point in their life these guys thought "if i just make X i'll never need a penny more" --but not many people are really like that. So many of us end up wanting more even if we don't need it. 

I can only guess.  Unless I win a huge lottery I'll never know.  Yes, it is easy to say what I'd do now but given the situation things could change.  Good post.

• Like 2

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

37 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just wait til they play Bolingbrook Golf Club. 😱  I lived in Bolingbrook for 40 years and probably played there 5 times and only because friends wanted to try out the course. I played Naperbrook, an average at best muni right down the road that was always more enjoyable. Other than a huge island green that is hard to miss for an Am, there is not a single memorable hole out there. Foot traffic will be a nightmare for the 643 partier's that show up to watch. 

My son lives in Geneva/Batavia. Any good suggestions for out that way? 

Ping ISI irons 6-PW
Ping J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

5 minutes ago, J-Blade said:

My son lives in Geneva/Batavia. Any good suggestions for out that way? 

... Great area for courses with a mix of nice muni's and resort courses. Prairie Landing, Cantigny, Mistwood, Heritage Bluffs, Wedgewood, Highlands of Elgin and Prairie Bluff my personal favorite. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Great area for courses with a mix of nice muni's and resort courses. Prairie Landing, Cantigny, Mistwood, Heritage Bluffs, Wedgewood, Highlands of Elgin and Prairie Bluff my personal favorite. 

Thanks! I will check them out. We will be visiting in the fall. 

• Like 1

Ping ISI irons 6-PW
Ping J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

28 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

I can't imagine attending a professional golf tournament that had music blaring.  I like music, I don't like being force fed someone else's idea of what is music for the entirety of the event.  Liv to me is someone's idea of "dumbing down golf for the common man", it seems presumptuous.  Butt that's me.

... Same for rounds with strangers. I was an air personality on the radio from 71-82 before changing careers to acting. 70's classic rock fills me with good vibes on the course but may not be a Country or Rap lovers cup of tee. As John Lydgate said and never truer than music: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.” 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah i get it.....LIV golf is kinda like watching NBA basketball in January. It's the Pacers vs the Raptors and 30% of the guys are dogging it. I know what you mean----Like i'm not under the impression Dustin Johnson really cares about any of this. 

But there's guys who do, and i can watch it on my phone while my daughter watches TV, and some of the audio interactions are nice. That's all LIV is to me. 

The majors are compelling golf. The rest is just passing the time mostly, though in some of the year end events i'm sure the guys do care about the extra $$$

It is what it is. Other than the majors i probably watch 50-50 LIV and PGA. But it's not because i think Phil Mickelson is out there grinding. It's more the ease of watching

Actually I imagine watching LIV golf…for me….would be like watching Big3 hoops.

Contrived format…mostly over the hill “names”…

https://big3.com/

• Like 3

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar