2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I have not swung a club in a month, and have given up on golf.

mangohead

I find no joy in not being able to hit past 150 yards.   (Full driver 220, PW 100)

I'm a +25 who shoots 95-105 on an easy course.

I am in very good shape, and have been active my entire adult life.

I am sick of always being handicapped at 150 - 200 yards out.

I am sick of always saying short game is where the score happens.

I am sick of being a good putter, good chipper, reliable 100 yard PW, and a decent 220y driver.

It feels like complete hackers who barely even understand golf can out bomb me on their first season on the course.   

I feel zero motivation to swing a club and have given up for this season.

I think what killed me was taking 2 lessons and getting very different feedback.

Both lessons are very high end both in cost and pedigree (PGA event experience)

The 6/29 lesson basically told me to swing as hard as I can with a fast take away.

This went against everything I ever believed about a clean pure golf swing (Freddy)

I felt like I was now reduced to a jerky Hollywood swing that looks terrible and tight and muscled.

The 7/5 lesson felt more valid, and he said my arms need to lag my hips more.

Right now they are one unit, with no separation.

However, I felt like when I exaggerated the hip starting the swing, results were hardly any different.

I have no idea which lesson to believe.

So, I did neither.    I just stopped.

This goes against everything I believe about sports development (skill is everything, equipment means 10%)

But, if I can't buy my way out of this with a 7W that goes 150-175, UP IN THE AIR,

then I am walking away from this game after a lifetime of being a advocate of the game.

I am disgusted with myself.

First world problems.

Thank you for listening.

Edited by mangohead
  • Like 2

Golf is hard, there's always tennis or bowling 🙂

If you think you can take a lesson and some magic fix without practicing what you were taught, obviously you're mistaken.  Swing changes take time, if don't have the time or patience to work on swing, I guess you made your decision.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

You can awing fast while staying smooth. See too many guys trying to swing smooth that passing butterflies have more speed 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The average golfer drives the ball the same distance as you do . 
 How much time do you have to devote to practice and play ?

To advise you to hit it as hard as you can 

is just plain irresponsible .

IF your goal is to make significant swing changes, then you must first start with grip and setup changes and then progress to shorter , slower than normal swings .The reason for this this is that changing motor patterns  requires developing  new neural pathways in your brain ; the  longer and faster the swing , the more complicated and difficult it is to do so .

Although in person instruction is preferable to online instruction if the pro is competent and can communicate clearly , many pros are inadequate teachers , so you might want to try online instruction 

Unlike many , Milo Lines offers real time instruction  via the internet .

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, mangohead said:

I find no joy in not being able to hit past 150 yards.   (Full driver 220, PW 100)

I am sick of being a good putter, good chipper, reliable 100 yard PW, and a decent 220y driver.

It feels like complete hackers who barely even understand golf can out bomb me on their first season on the course.   

I think what killed me was taking 2 lessons and getting very different feedback.

The 6/29 lesson basically told me to swing as hard as I can with a fast take away.

This went against everything I ever believed about a clean pure golf swing (Freddy)

I felt like I was now reduced to a jerky Hollywood swing that looks terrible and tight and muscled.

However, I felt like when I exaggerated the hip starting the swing, results were hardly any different.

This goes against everything I believe about sports development (skill is everything, equipment means 10%)

But, if I can't buy my way out of this with a 7W that goes 150-175, UP IN THE AIR,

then I am walking away from this game after a lifetime of being a advocate of the game.

First world problems.

Thank you for listening.

Don't give up - hope the following will help encourage you.  I could have written your post about 5 months ago.   I am digging myself out of the very very very similar hole.  I have a short driver in relation to my irons and I feel even at "proper for age and handicap tees" that I was making zero progress.   Incredibly frustrated; ready to quit golf too...after 25 years...   But as a last ditch effort I applied some business accountability standards to my final search for help:   I took a few lessons from a few different people and ended up back with one of the pros that I like and had used in the past.  Here is why I chose him:

1) Did the lesson give me hope and show some potential for improvement?  

2) Is it a swing that I can do with a little practice without having to relearn the game?

3) Is it a swing that I can swing till I'm 80 years old?

4) do we have a plan?

5) We get along.

In general I went from a violent controlled swing - to a simpler more effective swing - and I'm playing with confidence.  In short:  I hit it better, farther, more reliably - with less effort.

Proof is in both consistency; and better scores.

Hope this helps - don't give up.  Maybe it's just finding another pro?  

1 hour ago, mangohead said:

First world problems.

Thank you for listening.

If you had given up you wouldn’t be posting here. That’s the good news. The bad news is that golf can be so frustrating if you let it. Developing a great swing can take years of hard work and determination. You just need to find joy in that challenge. There will be frustrating days even when you make it down to scratch. Most people focus on the swing and distance when golf is so much about training your mind. There is no easy way out. You need to grind on that range until your fingers almost fall off. You need study the golf swing for hundreds of hours until you can help yourself. Lessons are good too occasionally but you can teach yourself a lot if put in the work. Tons of great books on technique, strategy and the mental game out there. Tons of great free content out  on YouTube. You just need to learn to figure out what is good content and what is bad and the only way to do that is trying and learning. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you gotta stop whining and instead go to work. Enjoy the journey because it’s awesome when it starts clicking!

33 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

The lessons didn't kill you, your misconception of the swing killed you. 

I hear pickleball is quite the rage these days

Just because someone has a title in front of their name doesn't mean they know anything. If you really want to keep playing golf forget all the YT golf crap and go back to the beginning. Start with the simple 9-3 drill and build your swing back on a solid foundation. There's a story in the Bible about one man building his house on a stone foundation and one who built his house on sand. You can imagine how that story turned out.

Edited by rd1959
  • Like 2

My friend shoots 95-105 too and has so much fun on course with us guys..... but we give him a car load of strokes and its on 🦖

Lydia Ko plays many hybrids under 200 yards and one of my faves

Obee.... world famous WRX board member drives as far as you do but plays under par and a bunch of hybrids..... So dont get hung up on yardages

Time for an attitude change..... you want to buy your way out of this!  Then you dont get golf at all and the beauty that it is a life long test!

Are you a self-entitled whiner.... spoiled rich kid maybe? 🐫 

• Like 4

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I play ALL hybrids except my putter and woods.   T Rail irons are a blast to hit all the way down to SW. 

I drive the ball 230 accurately.  My chipping sucks, my putting is coming and going. Working on line with an instructor on getting my hips in front of my arms in transition and at impact. It's tough.  Long clubs are much easier then the short ones.  Short irons will take some time. 

I also almost gave up a few months ago. But now that I know what to work on, it's fun just to practice.  

• Like 1

I think anyone who's played this game long enough can identify with this feeling. I've been there.

Unless you are older - like 60+ or have serious physical limitations - you should be able to hit the ball farther with the driver.

The road to getting that additional distance isn't about searching for distance. It's about improving your overall technique.

Sounds like you might have gone into those two lessons saying "I want to hit my driver longer." So the pro's took the shortest route to get you there.

Maybe next time, just show up and state that you just want to improve your swing. They will probably give you different advice. Build a better swing and distance will take care of itself.

The other thing I can suggest is just stop playing on the course for a bit and commit yourself to practice and swing development.

In my early-40's, I took about two years off from playing the course to rebuild my swing. All I did was study and practice. And it has had wonderful results.

There is hope, my friend.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

This thread sounds eerily similar to they guy that joined a CC, bought a sim, and took multiple lessons and had like a 60% loss in distance. Don't mean to sound like a jerk but if you were truly good at putting, chipping, reliable inside 100 yards and had a 220 yard drive, you could easily shoot around par from the appropriate tees and not be a 25 cap. Seen plenty of seniors do it. Something is not adding up. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, naj959 said:

This thread sounds eerily similar to they guy that joined a CC, bought a sim, and took multiple lessons and had like a 60% loss in distance. Don't mean to sound like a jerk but if you were truly good at putting, chipping, reliable inside 100 yards and had a 220 yard drive, you could easily shoot around par from the appropriate tees and not be a 25 cap. Seen plenty of seniors do it. Something is not adding up. 

Nothing was mentioned about course management ability either either. 

57 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

My friend shoots 95-105 too and has so much fun on course with us guys..... but we give him a car load of strokes and its on 🦖

Lydia Ko plays many hybrids under 200 yards and one of my faves

Obee.... world famous WRX board member drives as far as you do but plays under par and a bunch of hybrids..... So dont get hung up on yardages

Time for an attitude change..... you want to buy your way out of this!  Then you dont get golf at all and the beauty that it is a life long test!

Are you a self-entitled whiner.... spoiled rich kid maybe? 🐫 

+1 to those last two lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

"This went against everything I ever believed about a clean pure golf swing (Freddy)" 

I'm gonna bet the farm that you're too anal retentive. That's my guess, at any rate. You probably need to get a giant bucket and just keep swinging out of your shoes until the ball goes somewhere. 

He probably plays too many golf video games and thinks they're real.

• Haha 1

Both teachers seemed to focus on input rather than output. Golf was pretty hard for me  until I really got dialed in on weight transfer. 

Instead of teaching trying to focus on the swing input (positions... Take away, etc) we focused on output. My only goal in my entire swing was to get my hip to bump into a pool noodle that was placed over a alignment stick a few inches outside my leg. 

If you're a young  in shape guy, then you have the ability to hit a driver 275+ with out much problem. 

Take an online lesson with a reputable instructor from this board. I’ve been working with one for almost a year. Bought a 5 pack of lessons and am 4 deep so far. Been working on feels from the last 2 for 6-7 months now and still don’t have it down. Swing changes are a grind and take time. Out of no where a few weeks back I gained another half club in distance after working on the same thing for all those months. Change takes time and change feels weird. 

• Like 1

I feel your pain

My golf partner of over 25 years and I had a agreement that when the day came  that we could no longer drive the ball 200 yards we would retire.  I can still go 225-250 but he could not do the 200 any longer . He stuck to his word and I will do the same not if but when that day comes.

I know sad story 😂

3 hours ago, glm said:

I feel your pain

My golf partner of over 25 years and I had a agreement that when the day came  that we could no longer drive the ball 200 yards we would retire.  I can still go 225-250 but he could not do the 200 any longer . He stuck to his word and I will do the same not if but when that day comes.

I know sad story 😂

Sounds silly to me. Makes me wonder if you played golf for the love of the game or it's just silly "macho pride" because you can't hit 200 yards anymore.

Edited by rd1959

4 hours ago, mangohead said:

...and he said my arms need to lag my hips more.

I wanted to highlight these bits in case you decide to revisit things.

First, there is no such thing as a "clean pure golf swing" nor is there much that Freddy does that anyone should be copying. He is one of my all time favorites and a big reason why I event picked up the game so don't misunderstand, his swing is just unique and contains a number of elements that shouldn't be mimicked, at least not without an understanding of how they fit together. All that matters are the core fundamentals and whether or not you're doing them correctly, which... 

The second part about not having any separation is one of those core fundmentals and is easily one the most common issues with the average golfer. Go to any given driving range on a busy weekend and 90%+ of the people there will have some version of this issue. It creates so many problems that it is easy to feel overwhelmed with the frustration those problems create, but if you're in very good physical shape as you claim then there is zero reason why you can't do these things correctly. Most of the time it just takes an understanding of WHAT you're supposed to be doing and how/why you're doing it wrong, so if you have any video of your swing please post it so we can help. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

geeez....this post made me depressed.  take a break and then come back with online lessons from one of the reputable guys.  Get a different perspective and PRACTICE for real.   it's never easy to make changes in your swing and it's even tougher without a bunch of practice.   

relax...enjoy the greatest game on earth