Something is cooking at Titleist

Nobody that plays blades well, wants a larger CB style nickel vs MB dime sweet spot.  It would affect balance and weighting.  Blade heads tend to be smaller than CBs, least that's the case with my 620 MBs vs 620 CBs.  I have both sets. 

Putting a large sweet spot on a smaller MB head means less surrounding area to directionally manipulate the ball.  To play good golf with real muscle back blades the user has to use the sweet spot 99% of the time.  If I mishit, it usually means a shorter distance as opposed to club's standard distance.  Though my miss is left and long, I get no wild and crazy slices or ugly duck hooks.

PS, the image up top says, "NEW JT TOP LINE."  That doesn't mean they are making another full head design for him, maybe a tweak or two.

I recently hit those new PXG Gen 5 blended irons, nice.  But I couldn't feel what the ball was doing without looking up.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

excited to see what Titleist is doing with their upcoming irons.  I do recall JJ mentioning they are experimenting with new metals for different "feels" during a sit down with the TXG guys during the TSR release.  I love the idea of interchangeable combo sets with their new MB, CB and T100 lines.  

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

6 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I believe to increase MOI you'd need more weight heel/toe. A tungsten plug in the sweet spot would be pretty negligible for MOI.

Based on the second pic of the club in the middle it looks like they redistributed weight from the sides to the middle. Which is exactly the opposite of how most clubs are designed.   It decreases MOI. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, getitdaily said:

They are experimenting with a high(er) moi blade. 

9 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I believe to increase MOI you'd need more weight heel/toe. A tungsten plug in the sweet spot would be pretty negligible for MOI.

9 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Look at the 2nd iron in the pic posted.  SLOWLY

9 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Well if you'd uncover your eyes then you'd see it. 

Weight removed from heel/toe along with center weight adjustment...

Allows for tungsten in the heel/toe while maintaining static weight. They're experimenting. Everyone is putting tungsten in irons now. Titleist did it with the t100 mid/long irons. Makes perfect sense to try it in blades too. 

9 hours ago, JStang said:

I'm thinking they cut the weight out of heal and toe to offset the added weight from the Tungsten plug. Too much tungsten would just make the club too heavy. All speculation here. 

Removing weight from heel/toe and concentrating in the center would actually DEcrease MOI, not increase it. The stock 620 is already one of the highest MOI blades out there and is comparable to many players cavity backs, but the CG is a little on the higher side as well as being slightly towards the heel. I wouldn't he surprised is this is simply the process of fine tuning the CG location for JT's strike tendencies, which is one of the reasons Tiger had tungsten plugs slightly toe side in his irons. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

8 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Removing weight from heel/toe and concentrating in the center would actually DEcrease MOI, not increase it. The stock 620 is already one of the highest MOI blades out there and is comparable to many players cavity backs, but the CG is a little on the higher side as well as being slightly towards the heel. I wouldn't he surprised is this is simply the process of fine tuning the CG location for JT's strike tendencies, which is one of the reasons Tiger had tungsten plugs slightly toe side in his irons. 

Yes, but my assumption was that the 2nd iron pic, with heel/toe carved out, is for tungsten plugs....thus raising moi.

32 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Yes, but my assumption was that the 2nd iron pic, with heel/toe carved out, is for tungsten plugs....thus raising moi.

I believe the MOI would be enhanced if the toe weight weighs more than the heel weight however it appears the center weight will weigh a good bit more than either the heel or toe weights. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

31 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

That looks to me more like those areas were carved out to free up the weight to concentrate it in the heavier center plug. You can't carve out three chunks and fill them all with tungsten without the head weight getting really high, and if you wanted higher MOI you wouldn't be doing anything in the center but removing weight and pushing it out to the sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

1 minute ago, Valtiel said:

That looks to me more like those areas were carved out to free up the weight to concentrate it in the heavier center plug. You can't carve out three chunks and fill them all with tungsten without the head weight getting really high, and if you wanted higher MOI you wouldn't be doing anything in the center but removing weight and pushing it out to the sides. 

That was my assumption. That they were toying with a light weight plug in the center to put heavier weight heel/toe and keep static weight the same.

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

That was my assumption. That they were toying with a light weight plug in the center to put heavier weight heel/toe and keep static weight the same.

That would increase MOI then yeah, but I can't imagine JT would need that for any reason? "Hey guys, i've played your blades for ages but i'm miss hitting them too much, I know you have the T100 which is way more forgiving, but can you hack up a blade for me to get a small MOI increase plz?" 😆

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Bridgestone 

1 minute ago, Valtiel said:

That would increase MOI then yeah, but I can't imagine JT would need that for any reason? "Hey guys, i've played your blades for ages but i'm mishitting them too much, I know you have the T100 which is way more forgiving, but can you hack up a blade for me to get a small MOI increase plz?" 😆

He's getting older...lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

I would say take another look. The heel and toe are cut away and there’s clearly a large tungsten slug pressed into the center of the blade. Why? Simple you have to add the weight you took away and add it back. They put it right in the center so there’s more mass behind the strike. I would bet it has nothing to do with moi. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

1 minute ago, phelps22 said:

I would say take another look. The heel and toe are cut away and there’s clearly a large tungsten slug pressed into the center of the blade. Why? Simple you have to add the weight you took away and add it back. They put it right in the center so there’s more mass behind the strike. I would bet it has nothing to do with moi. 

Yes, this I know. I was speculating about the heel/toe cutouts.

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

Yes, this I know. I was speculating about the heel/toe cutouts.

Dude, you’re way overthinking this. 😂 I know what you’re saying. Let’s turn the clock back a little to the Cobra S3 ProMB. Same concept as what your seeing here. Heel and toe were cut out on the muscle concentrating the mass right behind the ball. Pretty sure Cobra did 2 or 3 generations of blades this way. 

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I'd love to hit these or the Tiger irons to see how that tungsten plug feels. I bet it is nirvana on center contact, but I'll still settle for the forgiveness of a little bit of cavity in the end. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, phelps22 said:

Dude, you’re way overthinking this. 😂 I know what you’re saying. Let’s turn the clock back a little to the Cobra S3 ProMB. Same concept as what your seeing here. Heel and toe were cut out on the muscle concentrating the mass right behind the ball. Pretty sure Cobra did 2 or 3 generations of blades this way. 

Not overthinking, overwishing...

I'd be all over a set of blades with tungsten set into heel/toe of the 4i-7i. It'd be like having a progressive set but all blades.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Not overthinking, overwishing...

I'd be all over a set of blades with tungsten set into heel/toe of the 4i-7i. It'd be like having a progressive set but all blades.

Well kind of defeats the purpose of a blade doesn’t it? Hell even Cobra has left that train at the station with the latest line coming in the spring with the new CB and MB. 

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

I saw the first pic and was like whats the big deal? DTCs are forging and milling blades now. Saw the second pic and whoa. Couple of things- callaways use of the tungsten is to customize swingweights withought compromising sweetspot. So to have this “filled” in or covered up, not sure how that would work exactly. The Second iron, with the heel toe cavities for tugnsten is very likely what they do with the t100. Cool pics to see though, thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, JStang said:

What are the odds that the plug in the middle is a lighter material and they to add tungsten heel and toe only. Mind blown!!!!!

Very low. The plug clearly isn't aluminum, the color is way off. It might be titanium depending on alloy... Even if it was titanium, the head weight would be way too low with the pockets milled out.

That most likely leaves a big slug of tungsten. Tungsten is almost 2.5 heavier than carbon steel for the same volume... So at that diameter, that weight hole is going to fairly shallow.

The milled pockets are going reduce MOI, and since the slug is rear of the natural COG, it is going to add some MOI back, but not at the same rate as the pockets. So basically less MOI, with a more rearward COG.

Tungsten absorbs vibration better than steel. If I had to guess, I'd say these irons likely feel more solid, softer, and have more workability due do slightly more gear affect.

Since this is GolfWRX and "who wore it first" is important to some. They are reminiscent of the old T-Zoids and TM Smokes.

image.jpeg.c23cdd15209f3afad0ccda190803f336.jpeg

TaylorMade rac MB TP Smoke Iron Set

• Thanks 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

2 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Very low. The plug clearly isn't aluminum, the color is way off. It might be titanium depending on alloy... Even if it was titanium, the head weight would be way too low with the pockets milled out.

That most likely leaves a big slug of tungsten. Tungsten is almost 2.5 heavier than carbon steel for the same volume... So at that diameter, that weight hole is going to fairly shallow.

The milled pockets are going reduce MOI, and since the slug is rear of the natural COG, it is going to add some MOI back, but not at the same rate as the pockets. So basically less MOI, with a more rearward COG.

Tungsten absorbs vibration better than steel. If I had to guess, I'd say these irons likely feel more solid, softer, and have more workability due do slightly more gear affect.

Since this is GolfWRX and "who wore it first" is important to some. They are reminiscent of the old T-Zoids and TM Smokes.

image.jpeg.c23cdd15209f3afad0ccda190803f336.jpeg

TaylorMade rac MB TP Smoke Iron Set

What material do you think they would have used to fill the heal and toe areas? It would obviously need to be something lighter than carbon steel or it would defeat the purpose. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

15 hours ago, JDTex said:

I'd love to hit these or the Tiger irons to see how that tungsten plug feels. I bet it is nirvana on center contact, but I'll still settle for the forgiveness of a little bit of cavity in the end. 

During my iron fitting I tried a bunch of blades and compared the MP20s to the P7TWs, which for the bulk of the set look VERY similar (Tiger used the MP14s/MP29s for the start of his career.) I think Tiger’s preference for a longer blade means they need to do a few things to get the CG right. If the CG is close to the heel on a longer blade you’ll start hitting a bunch of overdraws or have difficulty fading it.

FWIW, the MP20s felt better. 

• Like 1

New mb and CB coming in August. Confirmed.

It is not the milled one here or a tungsten behind the face.

Same story.

Better turf interaction.

may feature longer hosel lengths into short irons.

Tour preferred finish and other marketing mumbo jumbo.

CB weight moving into the 8 iron.

Really think the CB is irrelevant at this point

Spoiler

Gamer WITB

hit the ProV1x from the wrong side... 

TSR3   9.0                                               D3    Velocore Black 6X Tip .5" 44.85" 117.8 mph @ 10.7 deg - 2350 rpm - 171 BS   

TSR2  15.0                                              D3   ACCRA TZ5 M5 Gen2 80 proto Tip .5" 43"

TS2    18.0                                              D3   Rogue 130msi White TX80 41"

T100S 4-5 - T100 6-P - SM9 50.12F    D3    X100TI

SM9 56.14F - 60.08M                            D4    S400TI
ChampChoice NP2 Ozik125 black GPcordPistol 33.85           D5.5

Players4Carbon - GP TVCord - FJ StaSof - FJ AlphaBoa