2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Have you really replaced your G 400 Max driver, don't lie

platgof

On 2/6/2023 at 8:15 AM, Jab3384 said:

Will do. I need straight! Haha

First range session intial impresions: You have to put a really bad swing on her to lose the ball... She just wants to go straight. Ball flight may be a little high/baloony, but I need to hit a few real balls with her before jumping to any conclusions. So far so good! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jab3384 said:

First range session intial impresions: You have to put a really bad swing on her to lose the ball... She just wants to go straight. Ball flight may be a little high/baloony, but I need to hit a few real balls with her before jumping to any conclusions. So far so good! 

Throw a heavier weight in the back and play it on a shorter shaft. Fairway finder.

• Like 1

After one round with the 430 LST, the 400 Max will be gone.  Loved it, but the new one is ridiculously good.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Still have my G400 Max but looking at the G430; played the G410+ for a while and it is solid but liked the Max better. Scored a 425 but hear so much about the sound, may swing it this weekend.

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

Stayed loyal to the 400Max until 2 months ago. Did a custom driver fit at Pureform and now playing a Cobra LTDx, and it's been incredible so far. Tested against all the big 4 brands and many shafts, and it beat them all. Shaft is a VA Composites Drago 65. It outperformed the 400Max by a significant margin on distance and dispersion so was well worth the change. Course play since has confirmed and I'm really happy. Sorry G400Max I will always be a huge fan of what was a breakthrough model and set the standard.

Edited by buckethat72
  • Sad 1

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Taylormade P7MC NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 S (4-PW)

Vokey SM10 50.12F

Vokey SM9 54.10S, 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

18 hours ago, buckethat72 said:

Stayed loyal to the 400Max until 2 months ago. Did a custom driver fit at Pureform and now playing a Cobra LTDx, and it's been incredible so far. Tested against all the big 4 brands and many shafts, and it beat them all. Shaft is a VA Composites Drago 65. It outperformed the 400Max by a significant margin on distance and dispersion so was well worth the change. Course play since has confirmed and I'm really happy. Sorry G400Max I will always be a huge fan of what was a breakthrough model and set the standard.

Not a huge surprise.  G400 Max is a classic, but the recent Cobra drivers are excellent and perform better for me as well.  I actually took out the G400 Max today for a winter round in NJ.  Always fun playing it, and it is always armed and ready for me. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

20 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Not a huge surprise.  G400 Max is a classic, but the recent Cobra drivers are excellent and perform better for me as well.  I actually took out the G400 Max today for a winter round in NJ.  Always fun playing it, and it is always armed and ready for me. 

Alright, I may have spoken too soon (again)… I have discovered in recent years that HZRDUS Black and Blue seem to work darn well for me.  So, I recently picked up a cheap HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 6.0 with a G400 tip.  

Weather here in NJ has been cooperative (thank you global warming), so I was able to get out twice this weekend to test out the Smoke Black with my G400 Max 9*.  It was great.  Doesn’t mean that I don’t still love the RadSpeed XB I was playing, but damn I just feel so at home looking down at the G400 Max.  Very comfortable with this combo, and I gotta say it goes back in my signature and back in my bag for now.  Could change again, but for now, long live the king!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Recently picked up a new old stock G400 Max from 2ndswing.....it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

1 hour ago, Misc1600 said:

Big difference in the G400 Max vs standard G400

mainly due to the G400's enhanced sound (from the 445cc head size), correct?

In terms of performance G400 vs G400 max... they are similar/same?

What other differences? I seem to remember a "Vortec" slot on the G400... that disappeared on the G400Max (replaced with a larger tungsten weight?)

Ping G400 Max Driver

2 hours ago, Misc1600 said:

Is there big difference in the G400 Max vs standard G400? 

@Misc1600

https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/ping-g400-max-driver-review-3983.aspx

Some "G400 vs G400 max" comparison threads, on Golfwrx (found via a google-search here: https://bit.ly/3E0W1wP)

Edited by JungleJimbo

You boys weren't lying about the G400 Max.... Just got one in the mail today and it's not the longest, but it is point and shoot.  Looks great behind the ball and I feel like I can go after it without worry.  It came with the Ping Tour shaft and looks to only be 44.75" playing length, but Im not changing a thing.  Might be my year to take a step back in time and find more fairways.  Definitely giving up some yards from the numbers I saw, but Ill trade 2 bombs a round to eliminate the misses.  Should have bought one eariler.  May even get the 400 lst to try.

Edited by realmfg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:13 PM, RolandofGilead said:

I was happily playing the non-Max G400 until I recently bought a Titleist 975J and hit it a few times. I’m personally out of love with massive modern drivers and sold the G400 almost immediately. It’s almost as long on center strikes, looks better at address (and the G400 is a good looking modern driver), sounds way better than anything out now, and mis hits get on the ground faster. But yes the G400 family is a modern classic.

Ya the 975J is great. I used to use that with an AJ Tech shaft to much delight.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, slolane said:

I made the mistake of test driving the 430 SFT the numbers were all better than my 400 max. Now I have only been able to hit it inside as it is 5 degrees and a lot of snow in Michigan. Going to Grand national in Opelika in two weeks then I will see how it does outside.

Ok, first time outside with the 430 today. 18 holes 14 fairways hit the only fairway not hit were par 3s. Point an shoot is all I can say. Can't say if its longer than the 400 max because I am playing courses I have never seen before. Playing another round tomorrow we will see how it goes.

• Like 2

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

I was fit for one when it released and ended up adding some lead tap towards the front to lower the flight. The club has been good to me, but I've been thinking of getting fit for a new driver as my swing has changed a bit since 2018.

Anyone ever keep their driver head and get fit for a new shaft as the years go by? Seems like people just replace the entire thing when the time comes.

I was very loyal to the 400 Max for a long time.  For kicks and giggles, I put the 400 Max against all of the new stuff by a club fitter.  Impressively, the Max with a Tour S shaft came in 2nd to everything new and shiny from the big brands.  However, the LTDx was better in every way.  So I made the switch.  

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Played today and the G400 Max was just awesome. I was hitting some of my best drives ever. Length was good, but heavy rains have slowed everything down. Club felt solid. I am also trying out the new Srixon Q Star Tour golf balls and they really compress well. Not long, but very accurate. Length is hard to determine because of the saturated ground. Great control with the G Max 400.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 2 weeks later...

400 Max to 425 Max to 430 Max SFT LST..like many should have held onto the 400 Max, played 425 Max for a season and never really loved it.   I've tried all 3 heads, and coming around to Max again.   Just wish I had come to that conclusion before I let for my 6.5 rounds in Bandon last week lol

Edited by JLo_73

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

Right now it's the G430 for me. I've gone through a LOT of drivers since my original G400 Max. That includes buying my old one back (she was salty), the 410, 410 LST, 425 Cobra Speedzone, Srixon 585, PXG 0311 and Rogue Max.

The G430 is the first PING driver that feels like it's a clearly improved version. I've only had 4 range sessions and 3 rounds with it though. We all know how honeymoons go, so I'm not hanging the 'Mission Accomplished' banner.  I also think going through a full fitting where I hit every new head and more shafts that I care to remember from a custom club fitter helped me feel better about this fit than me wearing out the BST forum and trying to self fit.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Played another 18 holes today in NJ (thanks again global warming).  Front 9, played my 10.5* G425 Max with Tensei Orange 65 S, standard setting.  Back 9, played my 10.5* G400 Max with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 6.0 (small plus setting).

Hit almost every fairway or in good position with both.  It really is splitting hairs.  Feel totally comfortable with both, and could really play either one.  Both incredibly forgiving.  Sucks I can’t swap shafts between them, as I think I could benefit from a bit lower spin in the G425 Max and the Smoke Black RDX would be a good one to try.  I’ll probably pick one up with the G425 adapter, as they are pretty cheap now.

Anyway, just another reminder that several generations past by now, the G400 Max still holds its own and stands toe-to-toe with the best newer drivers.    

I just joined the 400 Max club. Picked up a 10.5 yesterday that is minty with the tour stiff shaft. I already have a G400 that I hit ok, but I've always been curious about the Max.  I picked up a Mizzy ST-Z 220 last year because a lot of reviews said it's similar to the 400 Max. I'm not a fan of shiny tops though. We'll see. Just waiting for the warmer weather now...sigh...

Edited by hoselrocker

PING fan for life here. Bag is i230's G400's, or TM P790's, Cally Rogue ST Max woods, Cally Paradym TD driver, G410 hybrids (although the Paradyms are tempting), and Glide wedges (trying out CBX Zipcore). Many putters, 2 are the Craz-E IWI and JAS Anser. So....

I have tried, I really really have, but it's just short for me, and spins way too much, even turned down to 9.5. Tried countless shafts. Perhaps I should have got the 9 degree head. Ended up picking-up a 10.5 (I turn down 1 degree) G400 head in mint condition, to match the one I have in Florida. To me, THAT is the GOAT of PING's last 10 years+ of drivers (plus the LST, but that was not as good for me as the regular G400). Even Rocco still has it in the bag, and he says many others. For me the spin and dispersion is perfect. Perhaps it's the 445 head, and why (450cc) I seem to hit the Paradym TD so well. The G400 is not short, not the longest, but pretty darn straight. We shall see what makes the northern bag, that or the Paradym TD. 

More sub 460 drivers in the marketplace please!! See Cally makes a tour only Paradym TD-S head, at 420cc!!