2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best exercises for golf performance?

For those who actually go to the gym, what lifts/exercises do you find to be the most beneficial towards golf?

Your mileage may vary obviously but I'm curious to hear your opinion. 

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

I’ve been working out at home, push ups, kettle bell, swing training etc… 

recently got a medicine ball, and medicine ball slams and throws have been by far better than anything I’ve done in the past. Not just strength but also helping me feel the power of a shorter backswing/transition. Wish I had started sooner.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Compound movements. I've been working out along with speed training for a while now. I've done a lot with lifting and plyometric training in the past as well.

I would do these for strength first

Deadlifts

Squats (front and back)

Split Squats and/or Goblet Squats

Bench (all inclines bar and/or dumbells) 

Military Press (I prefer standing)

Pullups or Machine Pulldown

Decline situp/crunch

Now that it's full golf season I do push, pull, legs with usually one compound and then a more speed element. 

Today is legs in the rotation for example. I bought a commercial seated calf machine so I do those. Then front squats with bar outside. I finish with medicine ball outside. I have a 15lb ball on the ground. Walk up approach, small jump, land and plant feet while squatting to grab ball. Pull up while pushing hard into the ground. Throw up and back as high as I can, really extending the ribcage and entire body. If you ever saw strongman when they throw the keg over the bar, that's it. I do like 20-30 of those then go mess around dunking a basketball in the driveway for a few minutes. 

Edited by ezra76
spelling
  • Like 1

This won’t be the answer you want, but I think you have to look at more of a “macro” approach to working out for the benefits to clearly show up on the golf course.  A well-designed golf-specific workout is also going to be individualized to your specific strengths and deficiencies.

That said, in the most general terms ALL golfers are going to benefit from several things:

1. The compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, and bench.

2. Core work that includes anti-rotation work, separating the movements of the upper and lower body.

3. Work with medicine balls that uses “ground forces” and rotation.

4. A LOT of soft tissue work with a LAX ball and foam roller, and a lot of mobility work, especially on the hips and shoulders.

Anything is better than nothing, but the biggest benefits of working out are going to come from targeted stuff based on your current capabilities and deficits.  If there is any way that you can get assessed by a TPI type, it will help you chart a path forward. 

MyTPI.com

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

The big 3 are great for strength and core work, you can obviously make variations depending on your capabilities. 

I also like a lot of lifts where you have to drive your feet into the ground, work and learn those ground forces. 

Rotational core work, stability work, mobility work, definitely lots of work on the shoulders and hips. 

Changing my lifting from strength sports to golf has been interesting but the body has enjoyed it more, less pounding. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have 6 clients that I train for golf ranging from the weekend hacker all the way up to my buddy who plays on the Mackenzie Tour.  I'm also doing the things I preach as well.  This is a general layout. 

-Strength training:  Compound and isolation movements.  I believe the entire body needs to be strong for any sport from the neck down.  This includes forearms, glutes, adductors and abductors which most people ignore.  I cycle training by going heavy weights with lower reps to lighter weight with higher reps.  Works both slow and fast twitch fibers. 

-Speed training:  Consists of Olympic lifts and plyometrics. 

-Dynamic and static stretching:  Traditional stretching along with yoga mostly.

-Balance exercises:  I usually do these on a yoga ball and bosu ball.  I either do body weight or use very light dumb bells depending on the exercises. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

yep, just echoing a lot of what people are saying, but if you are going to spend time in the gym, #1 thing I'd say before anything else is squat, deadlift and standing military press.  These are "macro" functional exercises that transfer over to basically everything and definitely golf.   Then, by core work, think planks, anti-rotational (paloff press) stuff like someone else mentioned, etc.  Of course, you can go a lot deeper than that but if you don't have any strength training background, you will definitely notice difference. 

I personally believe you need a well rounded resistance training program of at least 3 days a week that hit every major muscle group.  Compound movements are preferred...

From there add in some cable work with variations of different rotations training both sides of the body.  I also love the anti-rotational pallof press variations.  Trunk rotation machine is nice to have as well to really target the core and increase flexibility.  

SPEED TRAINING is the icing on the cake if you really want to set off your distance. 

Always depends on the individual, but overall i would say leg strength and core strength are big ones. Building strength also doesn’t mean having to do olympic style lifts. Too many ppl equate strength with squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. If somebody is starting from never working out, then just doing any form of resistance training on the major muscle groups fairly consistently, will result in strength gains. Also a lot of ppl don’t understand HOW to actually resistance train. You don’t have to do a bunch of exercises for each muscle group, but the targeted muscle group or groups needs to reach failure at some point on the last set. That can mean different things, depending on level of fitness, desired rep range, etc.. But just lifting a weight 10 times then putting it down (when u can probably lift it 20-25 times) is not exhausting the muscle enough to achieve growth.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

If you have not been a gym person, then the macro lifts are a great place to start.  If you already lifted, then you can fine tune with some speed drills and stuff.  ANYTHING will help if you have not been lifting.  I always hate this question without knowing what people are already doing.

Forearms is what most people neglect.  We can add 10% ball speed with just a few weeks of wrist rollers and forearm exercises in high school kids that I coach - softball and golf.

When I was in college with baseball (mostly, and golf on the side) they made us sprint... nothing works your core more like this.. and your CV, as well.  I have had more core strength since I started to do intervals of sprints in my runs again... like a minute at 5mph then a minute a 9mph (a lot of me on my treadmill) for 20 minutes.  If your abs are tired after a run, then you are going fast enough so you don't have to be Usain Bolt.  Sprints are hard work, but the results are worth it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jda said:

If you have not been a gym person, then the macro lifts are a great place to start.  If you already lifted, then you can fine tune with some speed drills and stuff.  ANYTHING will help if you have not been lifting.  I always hate this question without knowing what people are already doing.

Forearms is what most people neglect.  We can add 10% ball speed with just a few weeks of wrist rollers and forearm exercises in high school kids that I coach - softball and golf.

When I was in college with baseball (mostly, and golf on the side) they made us sprint... nothing works your core more like this.. and your CV, as well.  I have had more core strength since I started to do intervals of sprints in my runs again... like a minute at 5mph then a minute a 9mph (a lot of me on my treadmill) for 20 minutes.  If your abs are tired after a run, then you are going fast enough so you don't have to be Usain Bolt.  Sprints are hard work, but the results are worth it.

Yes, this is fair.  If this is someone that's literally never lifted and probably has poor overall functional strength, squatting and deadlifting are going to immmediately make a huge difference.  OTOH, if you played football in HS, know you are relatively strong, then obviously you aren't going to get the same rapid gains from that.

It's hard to suggest to others because it depends on what you naturally bring to working out and golf.  Lots of people have physical limitations, some of which are discovered at the gym.

I been working out since youth on the farm, and years of football and hockey training in weight room.  Years later, held membership at a gym since gyms were stand-alone, going 2–4 times per week.  I've held my current membership since 83.  When I took up golf at 40, didn't change my workout regime.  Just focused more on CORE exercises and stretching and cardio, which work really well for golf.  Still doing them today plus general body, leg and fore/arm strengthening, but not to any extreme.  Exercise and physical activities have always been a way of life for me.  Partially why, at my age, I still have game; then there's genetics aspect; the unquantifiable piece.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

4 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

It's hard to suggest to others because it depends on what you naturally bring to working out and golf.  Lots of people have physical limitations, some of which are discovered at the gym.

I been working out since youth on the farm, and years of football and hockey training in weight room.  Years later, held membership at a gym since gyms were stand-alone, going 2–4 times per week.  I've held my current membership since 83.  When I took up golf at 40, didn't change my workout regime.  Just focused more on CORE exercises and stretching and cardio, which work really well for golf.  Still doing them today plus general body, leg and fore/arm strengthening, but not to any extreme.  Exercise and physical activities have always been a way of life for me.  Partially why, at my age, I still have game; then there's genetics aspect; the unquantifiable piece.

Dude, one of these days we need to get together, and I will ghost write your life story. Where, exactly, was this farm where you grew up?

Just joking dude, you know I love you! 😁

• Haha 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

18 hours ago, jda said:

I agree that most golfers neglect forearms.  I include forearm exercises for my clients who play baseball and golf and myself.  A lot of reverse grip curls and wrist rolls with dumb bells, barbells and straight bar on the cable pulley system.  I have to caution to not go too heavy as this increases the chances of injury significantly.  There needs to be enough strength in the forearms to muscle through the rough.  The biggest forearms in golf belong to Hatton, Paul Casey, Rory and Tiger and I'm pretty sure those guys put in work. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

On 6/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, Fuscinator said:

If you want to be minimalistic/lazy about it, you could probably get some benefit from just doing hill sprints (uphill, not downhill) and deadhangs. 

Hill sprints are a great contralateral exercise (not unlike a golf swing). They're safer than flat sprints because of the angle of contact (and most people can't run them fast enough to rip their hamstrings). They train speed. They increase mitochondria and improve VO2 max. Once or twice a week is enough.

Deadhangs improve grip strength. They improve shoulder health. They increase lat strength at end range. They isometrically increase strength in the "rotator cuff" muscles (which, in addition to rotation, hold the humerus in the shoulder capsule). They decompress the entire spine (excepting the neck). They improve overall range of motion in the upper body. Just put a pull-up bar in your house and hang for 30-60sec. every time you walk by it.

Excellent advice.  Having been a runner in my past  and having a 14 year old who runs cross country and track I can attest.  His team has  access to periodic testing and I’ve seen his Vo2 max raised several times and I believe it’s due to their coach working in 2 days of hill speed work a week.  .  

in my opinion this advice ^ combined with almost any daily stretching or band routine you can name will help the golf swing.  Add in regular stationary bike work and you can not only swing better , but you can walk and play.   I get around 7 miles walking with moderate or greater strain according to whoop in 18 holes of golf.  More people should strive to walk this game.  It’s a sport if you walk it and keep pace.  In my opinion people work too much on being bigger. Not at all on any endurance. Slim and flexible beats bulky guys who max out lifting weekly , any day.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I agree that most golfers neglect forearms.  I include forearm exercises for my clients who play baseball and golf and myself.  A lot of reverse grip curls and wrist rolls with dumb bells, barbells and straight bar on the cable pulley system.  I have to caution to not go too heavy as this increases the chances of injury significantly.  There needs to be enough strength in the forearms to muscle through the rough.  The biggest forearms in golf belong to Hatton, Paul Casey, Rory and Tiger and I'm pretty sure those guys put in work. 

IMG_4416.png

5 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

I'm guessing it wasn't a prison farm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_farm

Yeah, if it was Angola, then that would be a story!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Excellent advice.  Having been a runner in my past  and having a 14 year old who runs cross country and track I can attest.  His team has  access to periodic testing and I’ve seen his Vo2 max raised several times and I believe it’s due to their coach working in 2 days of hill speed work a week.  .  

in my opinion this advice ^ combined with almost any daily stretching or band routine you can name will help the golf swing.  Add in regular stationary bike work and you can not only swing better , but you can walk and play.   I get around 7 miles walking with moderate or greater strain according to whoop in 18 holes of golf.  More people should strive to walk this game.  It’s a sport if you walk it and keep pace.  In my opinion people work too much on being bigger. Not at all on any endurance. Slim and flexible beats bulky guys who max out lifting weekly , any day.  

and slim, flexible and strong beats out both of them.  😉

13 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

IMG_4416.png

Any sort of gripper type contraption only does so much for for forearm size and strength.   I forged my forearms with good old fashion exercises in the gym.  They're not terribly large but were a lot smaller eons ago before I started working on them.  Having strong forearms also helps me get through thick rough.  

PXL_20230616_162740253.jpg

Edited by phizzy30

1 hour ago, chigolfer1 said:

Sure. But strong is a relative term.  Most use it when talking gym reps.  And I find that to translate pretty poorly to the real world.  Some of it is genetics.  ( read - a lot ).  And can’t be learned.  But I’m biased.  I’m 25 years from any gym.  But living on a farm and running a fab shop means gym day everyday.  That’s all I do is press this , push that , lift this and run , etc.  

last gym rat who worked for me was trying to push a 87 mustang up a small incline into the shop.  He wasn’t moving it.  It honestly irritates me because I had done that very thing 100 times.  And I’m 43. He is 25.  I came up behind him and said move. And I grabbed it by the lower rear bumper and drove it in like pushing a blocking sled in football.  That’s what I mean by nature.  Being 6-3 with a huge wing span and thighs like hideki is just how it’s is .    I regularly see a 19 or more strain on whoop for the day , if you’re familiar with its metrics.  That’s burning as much as 5200 calories in a day.  including off days.  And a resting heart rate average of 59 bpm.   Before My doctor was on me to work out.just because  of my age , and  Because I said I don’t.  After seeing 6 months of whoop data he said “ please slow down “. 😂.  

I guess my point is , it’s individual person dependent.   All of it.  

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, chigolfer1 said:

This reminded me of a thread from about twelve years ago (maybe longer) on Dan John's forum discussing snatch grip deadlifts from a 4in. box (see pic below). Some of the throwers in the thread (hammer, discuss, javelin) even said they did these instead of squats (you can imagine the great gnashin' o' teeth). They're what got me to a 405lb. deadlift when I still lifting (I do Yoga instead now). Doing these as singles is a good strategy for those who want to get stronger while minimizing bulk. As they have a greater range of motion than conventional and especially sumo deadlifts, they are less likely to take away from one's flexibility.

2FB410E5-6E82-4098-8E03-75DD516A75EF.jpeg

22 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. But strong is a relative term.  Most use it when talking gym reps.  And I find that to translate pretty poorly to the real world.  Some of it is genetics.  ( read - a lot ).  And can’t be learned.  But I’m biased.  I’m 25 years from any gym.  But living on a farm and running a fab shop means gym day everyday.  That’s all I do is press this , push that , lift this and run , etc.  

last gym rat who worked for me was trying to push a 87 mustang up a small incline into the shop.  He wasn’t moving it.  It honestly irritates me because I had done that very thing 100 times.  And I’m 43. He is 25.  I came up behind him and said move. And I grabbed it by the lower rear bumper and drove it in like pushing a blocking sled in football.  That’s what I mean by nature.  Being 6-3 with a huge wing span and thighs like hideki is just how it’s is .    I regularly see a 19 or more strain on whoop for the day , if you’re familiar with its metrics.  That’s burning as much as 5200 calories in a day.  including off days.  And a resting heart rate average of 59 bpm.   Before My doctor was on me to work out.just because  of my age , and  Because I said I don’t.  After seeing 6 months of whoop data he said “ please slow down “. 😂.  

I guess my point is , it’s individual person dependent.   All of it.  

you don't have to be a gym rat to be strong.  some are naturally strong, some are doing what you did.  No one's discounting you living and working on a farm.  I bet if you did go to the gym though and lifted for about a month, you'd be doing a heavier deadlift than a lot of people.   Same with guys that dunk that don't really lift.  put them in a gym and have them deadlift for a month and they're doing a ton of weight.   Sprinters are much stronger than I'm sure the general public understands.   They are strong.   It's not an accident that you can convert someone's squat to their vertical.   In short, athletes are strong.  (of course, some are better at putting that strength to work in a short amount of time explosively, etc., but that's a deeper discussion than is necessary here)

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 1