2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Callaway balls

GC70

The pro at my club is a Callaway staffer and they hosted a deal to bring your gamer and they would fit into one of the new Callaway balls. I took a prov1 and did the comparison. My results saw 4 mph faster ball speed with the Tour and Tour X over the ProV1 but both spun more off the driver. About 300 for the Tour and 500-600 for the Tour X. I saw the same increase from a pitching wedge but I didn’t hit any of those solid. It’s early in the year and I just swung about 40 drivers!  Both Callaway balls felt like a ProV1 off the putter. I don’t think I could tell the difference if blindfolded. 

They gave me a dozen Tour’s to try out so I’ll report back once I can do more comparison. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

On 2/26/2024 at 1:59 PM, kingbing said:

For those that have tested both the Chome Tour and Chrome Tour X, which launches higher?

CT launches higher but spins less can the CTX for me across the board.  However it's especially noticeable with mid-short irons. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Played another 9 today. I've been a left dash guy for two years but I really like how the CT feels now. Played another ball out of a different sleeve from the dozen and it was done after 5 holes. Oddly inconsistent cover durability ball to ball but love how it feels and plays. Club has 4 for 3 Titleist right now and are more durable so far, so not sure what to do. 

•  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1," VF7TX tipped .5"
  • Qi Tour 5W at 16.5, HZRDUS 80g 6.5, playing 43.25"
  • T200 2i Utility, HZRDUS 105x tipped .5"
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW,  PX LS 6.5 
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

Finally got my hands on CTX today. Took ages for them to be available in stores here. 

Tested against ProV1X for 18 holes.  I’ve played that forever since it became the higher launcher and spinner in the Titleist family. 

I play in Ireland, my home club is links so am always focused on a ball that does well in the wind, but equally I need launch and spin with my irons. driver speed 100, quick transition, load it pretty hard. 

Quick review: 

seriously impressed by the CTX. Definitely longer for me off driver - every single hole bar one as against ProV1X.

A smidge longer on irons, I’d wager, but need to test in the sim to confirm.  

I had tested the CT indoors, and was seriously impressed by the ball speed as compared to Pro V1X, but I need more spin which the CTX gives me. 

Feel - To me, this feels identical to ProV1X off putter, slightly softer off irons and driver seems a wash. 

wind - absolutely handles it really well. Zero complaints. Played in about 20kph today. 

Short game spin - totally agree with other comments to the effect that this has serious short game spin too. Noticeably higher than ProV1X on pitches 

it may be honeymoon stuff, but I can’t recall a ball I’ve been more impressed with right away.  It helps that I hit it great today, but I think Callaway have a super product here. And I’ve been playing Titleist for years. 

messaged two of my best golfing buddies mid round saying “You have to hit this thing”. It’s that good. 

Do yourself a favour and try these. 

I’ll be switching. 

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 10.5, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 3HL 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red 7X

Callaway UW 19, Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Titleist 505 22, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

ProtoConcept C-03,  5 - PW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S

Artisan 50/54/58, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
Piretti Matera Elite
Callaway Chrome Tour X
Lamkin Crossline Cord

1 hour ago, gm12673 said:

Finally got my hands on CTX today. Took ages for them to be available in stores here. 

Tested against ProV1X for 18 holes.  I’ve played that forever since it became the higher launcher and spinner in the Titleist family. 

I play in Ireland, my home club is links so am always focused on a ball that does well in the wind, but equally I need launch and spin with my irons. driver speed 100, quick transition, load it pretty hard. 

Quick review: 

seriously impressed by the CTX. Definitely longer for me off driver - every single hole bar one as against ProV1X.

A smidge longer on irons, I’d wager, but need to test in the sim to confirm.  

I had tested the CT indoors, and was seriously impressed by the ball speed as compared to Pro V1X, but I need more spin which the CTX gives me. 

Feel - To me, this feels identical to ProV1X off putter, slightly softer off irons and driver seems a wash. 

wind - absolutely handles it really well. Zero complaints. Played in about 20kph today. 

Short game spin - totally agree with other comments to the effect that this has serious short game spin too. Noticeably higher than ProV1X on pitches 

it may be honeymoon stuff, but I can’t recall a ball I’ve been more impressed with right away.  It helps that I hit it great today, but I think Callaway have a super product here. And I’ve been playing Titleist for years. 

messaged two of my best golfing buddies mid round saying “You have to hit this thing”. It’s that good. 

Do yourself a favour and try these. 

I’ll be switching. 

Great review! I haven’t been able to test the CTX in the long and mid game yet, but it has been outstanding in the short game and pitching testing I’ve done. Nice to hear the performance on the links. I’ll be making my annual pilgrimage to Ireland again in August. I have a pretty good feeling CTX is going to be my ball this year as well.

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

31 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Great review! I haven’t been able to test the CTX in the long and mid game yet, but it has been outstanding in the short game and pitching testing I’ve done. Nice to hear the performance on the links. I’ll be making my annual pilgrimage to Ireland again in August. I have a pretty good feeling CTX is going to be my ball this year as well.

Cheers Hammer 

if you’re East coast and or Waterville direction in August and fancy a knock, PM me and we will see what we can make happen. 

Piretti Matera Elite
Callaway Chrome Tour X
Lamkin Crossline Cord

Played 9 with the CTx and 9 with the CT yesterday.  I think both of these balls are really good and honestly didn’t see a lot of difference.  I’d say the x is higher launch.  I played on newer greens that are still pretty firm so balls bounced but neither have a problem holding, they both hope and stop.  It’s gonna take some more playing to make a decision on which I like better.

Played another 9 with CT today.  Not a scuff or scratch btw...

I could easily game this ball.  I rolled in some putts with it and it just feels great off the putter.  We've established that it's long off the tee.  Something of note is, sidespin on off-centered strikes.  This ball likes to go straight. This is both good and bad, bc if you want to work the ball, I would go a different route.  But, what I really liked about it today was off the irons.  It has a nice mid flight and great feel.  I think it feels slightly firmer than ProV1.   My ONLY small complaint is green side spin.  Don't get me wrong, It has great spin for being a low spin ball, but I like that CTX checks, but CT checks and rolls.  This can easily be accounted for by 1) play for some roll 2) Don't miss the green lol

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 3

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

10 hours ago, Morry said:

spin on ctx vs prov1x? 

For me, marginally higher on mid irons, noticeably higher on pitches. Pretty similar on driver / 3 wood 

• Like 1

Piretti Matera Elite
Callaway Chrome Tour X
Lamkin Crossline Cord

Played my first round of the year yesterday.  Been gaming TP5 for the last 4 years or so.  Bought a dozen of the Chrome Tours and have been hitting them on my SkyTrak for about a week and was liking what I was seeing.  Decided to play Chrome Tour yesterday on the course and see what actually happened in real life.  The ball just flat out performed and I've made the decision to make the switch and have it become my gamer.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Was able to get out on the course today and play a few holes. Good day to test as it was pretty windy. Nobody on the course so was able to hit several balls. I hit 5 balls, ‘22 BX, ‘24 BX, CTX, Z Star Diamond, and ‘24 TP5 side by side. Here’s what I found.

FEEL Best to worst

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

CTX

’24 BX

’22 BX

IRON PERFORMANCE Best to worst

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

PEAK HEIGHT 

‘22 BX

CTX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

WIND PERFORMANCE

’22 BX

CTX

Z Star Diamond

’24 BX

TP5

DRIVER DISTANCE

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

GREENSIDE SPIN

CTX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

’24 BX

’22 BX

The two balls that stood out were the CTX and my current gamer ‘22 BX. That being said, the Z Star Diamond and ‘24 BX are both really good balls too that I could play as well. The new TP5 is just not a good fit for me. Not saying it’s not a good ball, because it is, but it’s definitely lower launching and spinning compared to the previous version. I need higher launch and spin. I’m going to try and get out tomorrow afternoon if the rain stays away and test some more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Was able to get out on the course today and play a few holes. Good day to test as it was pretty windy. Nobody on the course so was able to hit several balls. I hit 5 balls, ‘22 BX, ‘24 BX, CTX, Z Star Diamond, and ‘24 TP5 side by side. Here’s what I found.

FEEL Best to worst

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

CTX

’24 BX

’22 BX

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

PEAK HEIGHT 

‘22 BX

CTX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

WIND PERFORMANCE

’22 BX

CTX

Z Star Diamond

’24 BX

TP5

DRIVER DISTANCE

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

GREENSIDE SPIN

CTX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

’24 BX

’22 BX

The two balls that stood out were the CTX and my current gamer ‘22 BX. That being said, the Z Star Diamond and ‘24 BX are both really good balls too that I could play as well. The new TP5 is just not a good fit for me. Not saying it’s not a good ball, because it is, but it’s definitely lower launching and spinning compared to the previous version. I need higher launch and spin. I’m going to try and get out tomorrow afternoon if the rain stays away and test some more.

great info! Thanks. 

Will be starting a review thread shortly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheppick.dan said:

great info! Thanks. 

Will be starting a review thread shortly

When are you heading across the pond?

Edited by hammergolf

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

FEEL Best to worst

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

CTX

’24 BX

’22 BX

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

PEAK HEIGHT 

‘22 BX

CTX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

WIND PERFORMANCE

’22 BX

CTX

Z Star Diamond

’24 BX

TP5

DRIVER DISTANCE

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

GREENSIDE SPIN

CTX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

’24 BX

’22 BX

Thank you! I’m thinking the CTX could be my ball.

17 hours ago, hammergolf said:

FEEL Best to worst

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

CTX

’24 BX

’22 BX

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

PEAK HEIGHT 

‘22 BX

CTX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

WIND PERFORMANCE

’22 BX

CTX

Z Star Diamond

’24 BX

TP5

DRIVER DISTANCE

CTX

’22 BX

’24 BX

Z Star Diamond 

TP5

GREENSIDE SPIN

CTX

Z Star Diamond

TP5

’24 BX

’22 BX

Wouldn’t the TP5x be more suited for this testing?

• Like 1
Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

26 minutes ago, GC70 said:

Wouldn’t the TP5x be more suited for this testing?

The TP5x doesn’t spin enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Almost done with this years ball testing.  Today was short game and driver testing.  Around the green today, I chipped in twice with CTX and was generally closer to the hole than CT.  We're talking pretty small margins, but closer still means closer.  Around the greens CTX wins.  For being firm CTX has a nice dense softish feel.  Both balls feel explosive/hot off driver.

I took Fill Swing LM out for a ride today and chose hole two for driver testing.  Long par 5 with a wide left to right fairway.  It was wet from today's rain, so no roll out unfortunately..   I probably hit 20 drives total.  5 shots with each twice.   Chrome Tour had a lower peak height average at 96 and a few rpm MORE spin than CTX.  CTX peak height was 104 .  My dispersion was tighter with CTX with a bunch of shots landing within yards of each other.  Really impressive stuff.  I was not expecting more peak height and less spin out of CTX but, that is what the LM said.  CT average was a few yards longer in carry, but was a wash in total distance.   I can't think of any reason as of now to not choose CTX.   Tomorrow will be iron and putter testing then we are done.

I found the CTx to be more consistent gapping. I’m excited for the putting and chipping to see. But unless the pro v or 1x is better I might be a CTx this year. 

I started a topic to track my numbers

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

I found the CTx to be more consistent gapping. I’m excited for the putting and chipping to see. But unless the pro v or 1x is better I might be a CTx this year. 

I started a topic to track my numbers

Yep, following along.  My dispersion circle was wider with CT that included both front to back and side to side.  There was the one long ball from CT, but also a shorter ball.  CTX was absurdly tight.  A ring within the ring.  🪐

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

13 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Yep, following along.  My dispersion circle was wider with CT that included both front to back and side to side.  There was the one long ball from CT, but also a shorter ball.  CTX was absurdly tight.  A ring within the ring.  🪐

Agreed on the dispersion with the CT vs CTX... CTX seems to be tighter groupings out of ALL the balls I have tried so far.

• Like 2

Don't know if you guys noticed but the '24 TP5x is plentiful in golf stores and courses while the CTX has either been sold out or in very limited quantities.  It's been the case around here. That tells me the CTX is one hell of a ball and I for one, agree with the consensus. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Don't know if you guys noticed but the '24 TP5x is plentiful in golf stores and courses while the CTX has either been sold out or in very limited quantities.  It's been the case around here. That tells me the CTX is one hell of a ball and I for one, agree with the consensus. 

Could also just be that a lot more TP5x's have been produced at this point.  Don't think it really tells you anything.

• Like 2

Just now, GolferPerson1 said:

Could also just be that a lot more TP5x's have been produced at this point.  Don't think it really tells you anything.

Actually it does, because I've noticed it in multiple locations.  Tell me this.  Why is it that there's a ton of Chrome Tour but Chrome Tour X is usually in limited quantities or sold out around here?  

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Actually it does, because I've noticed it in multiple locations.  Tell me this.  Why is it that there's a ton of Chrome Tour but Chrome Tour X is usually in limited quantities or sold out around here?  

The chrome tour was full stocked on release date at both local shops in my area.  The tour x showed up a week late to both locations and they receive a much smaller stock.    They still have stock of both as of today. 

Seems like the x had release supply/logistics issues.

• Like 2

Just now, Pnwpingi210 said:

The chrome tour was full stocked on release date at both local shops in my area.  The tour x showed up a week late to both locations and they receive a much smaller stock.    They still have stock of both as of today. 

That's news to me.  The local shop where one of my buddies is the assistant manager said they sold outta the CTX within the first two days upon release.  They had a ton of CT though when I went there which was about 5 days after release. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phizzy30 said:

That's news to me.  The local shop where one of my buddies is the assistant manager said they sold outta the CSX within the first two days upon release.  They had a ton of CT though when I went there which was about 5 days after release. 

There were some storms up north around the release date so that could have been challenge.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

This is what I saw too. My club didn’t get any of the x on the initial shipment and tons of the tour. Local golf shop had maybe 10 Dozen x and 5 shelves of the tour. 

• Like 2

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

53 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

This is what I saw too. My club didn’t get any of the x on the initial shipment and tons of the tour. Local golf shop had maybe 10 Dozen x and 5 shelves of the tour. 

That’s what happened at the golf shop I buy from.

and a week later they received the X in, and the X’s got snapped up quick.