2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Callaway balls

GC70

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

That's news to me.  The local shop where one of my buddies is the assistant manager said they sold outta the CTX within the first two days upon release.  They had a ton of CT though when I went there which was about 5 days after release. 

Same here.  X's go quick and plenty of Chrome Tour and TP5X.  I will say, TP5 seems to be moving well at our club.  I'm thinking "y'all do know TP5X is the foshizzle right??!!"  Average golfers love some soft balls.

• Haha 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

2 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Average golfers love some soft balls.

That one kinda hurts as I track my shipment of TP5…

I’ve read the golf ball forum more over the last 2 months than I have in my entire time on WRX. I’ve really enjoyed reading all the comparisons, but I’ve learned you have to go test for yourself. Just like clubs, balls react different to different swings.

tested 

Prov1

Prov1x

zstar diamond

22 Tour BX

CTX

TP5

I am sub 100 mph with the driver, lower launch and spin and play on very firm Bermuda greens. Came down to CTX and TP5 and I’m launching and spinning the TP5 a little higher. 

And at the end of the day I like softer balls. 

• Like 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

19 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

I’ve read the golf ball forum more over the last 2 months than I have in my entire time on WRX. I’ve really enjoyed reading all the comparisons, but I’ve learned you have to go test for yourself. Just like clubs, balls react different to different swings.

tested 

Prov1

Prov1x

zstar diamond

22 Tour BX

CTX

TP5

I am sub 100 mph with the driver, lower launch and spin and play on very firm Bermuda greens. Came down to CTX and TP5 and I’m launching and spinning the TP5 a little higher. 

Glad you found the ball you like!!

I like the softer ball too but have decided I will let the numbers pick my ball and not just feel. 

I always liked the TP5 when I played them!

2 hours ago, Smokey227 said:

tested 

Prov1

Prov1x

zstar diamond

22 Tour BX

CTX

TP5

100% correct~

The cool thing about the new TP5 to me is how it great it feels off the irons and driver.  Not as soft feeling there as thought it would be.  I really only noticed it around the greens and putting.  It's such a good ball this year, in fact both the TM balls are!  My comment was really geared towards the Supersoft and Pinnacle soft that go flying off the shelves like crazy. 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Just ordered 4 dozen CTX from callaway.com as part of their 4 for the price of 3 promo; I'm excited to try them.  

I have been a Titleist guy forever and I really enjoyed the Left Dash, but some extra greenside spin sounds wonderful.  Add in that they do a very nice military discount, I may have found my new ball.  

• Like 4

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ping Hoofer Lite

On 3/7/2024 at 12:07 AM, Avidswampthing66 said:

100% correct~

The cool thing about the new TP5 to me is how it great it feels off the irons and driver.  Not as soft feeling there as thought it would be.  I really only noticed it around the greens and putting.  It's such a good ball this year, in fact both the TM balls are!  My comment was really geared towards the Supersoft and Pinnacle soft that go flying off the shelves like crazy. 

CTX vs new TP5? I tested the CTX vs the new BX and CTX was much better across the board for me, but interested in opinions on the TP5, might go grab a sleeve at the shop and test them.

Played the old model for a bit, liked it but it was just short off the driver comparatively to competition. But felt the nicest out of most.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

2 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

CTX vs new TP5? I tested the CTX vs the new BX and CTX was much better across the board for me, but interested in opinions on the TP5, might go grab a sleeve at the shop and test them.

Played the old model for a bit, liked it but it was just short off the driver comparatively to competition. But felt the nicest out of most.

The new TP5 is definitely longer than the previous version as well as being firmer. It still has a nice softer feel to it. It flies lower than the previous version as well, but still spins about the same. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Hit the new CT in the sim the other day along with the new Tour BX and Tour B RX. Not saying this in a negative way but the CT is a boring ball in that it doesn't do anything crazy but everything well, the spin was a few hundred RPM less than the Bridgestone which is key for me, the height I didn't have on but looked a hair lower on screen than the Bridgestone. Ball speed I also didn't have on but didn't seem lacking distance wise.

Overall just initial impression it's a well rounded ball for irons and woods, wedge game I'll have to wait out on a few more weeks cause you know Canada. I've putted with it at home and feels just fine, firm but not clicky.

As I expected the CT will probably be a top 3 finalist for me, might see it compete with the TP5X just cause that thing is nuts and will have to see between the Left Dash, Tour B X, Z-Star XV for the third spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I've been playing Pro VIx for a while but Callaway sent me an email reminding me that I had a few thousand Callaway points that would be expiring soon (probably from back when you used to get points for just going to the website and stuff, I think that is all gone now?) so I had to buy "something" and said why not try the CTX.

Never liked the Chromesoft back when I last looked at it but reading up online (and here) about the new CTX and figure worth giving it a try to compare to the Pro VIx, I have always liked the triple track alignment when I've randomly putted a ball with (just always seemed to be on something like a Chromesoft marshmallow ball that I knew I wasn't going to enjoy on any full swings).  

Just now, KParks said:

I've been playing Pro VIx for a while but Callaway sent me an email reminding me that I had a few thousand Callaway points that would be expiring soon (probably from back when you used to get points for just going to the website and stuff, I think that is all gone now?) so I had to buy "something" and said why not try the CTX.

Never liked the Chromesoft back when I last looked at it but reading up online (and here) about the new CTX and figure worth giving it a try to compare to the Pro VIx, I have always liked the triple track alignment when I've randomly putted a ball with (just always seemed to be on something like a Chromesoft marshmallow ball that I knew I wasn't going to enjoy on any full swings).  

I saw higher ball speeds with the CTX compared to the ProV1x.  2-3 mph difference which doesn't seem like much but it is out on the course.  It launches a bit lower and spin is a wash.  The head pro at my home cc is on Cally staff and played the ProV1x for years but he's made the switch over to the CTX and says it's the best ball Cally has ever produced within the past 10 years.  I loved the first gen CSX LS but Cally screwed the pooch when gen 2 was released.  CTX is even better IMO.  Btw, my cousin lives in Santa Monica and I live on the border of Walnut/West Covina.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Got in the the 4 for 3 deal.  Big shout out to @Avidswampthing66for sending me a sleeve and letting me test them.  Holler at me whenever you're in the LA area, I'll take you out to lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Got in the the 4 for 3 deal.  Big shout out to @Avidswampthing66for sending me a sleeve and letting me test them.  Holler at me whenever you're in the LA area, I'll take you out to lunch. 

Fa sho! Or play Rustic Canyon, unless you got an in @ Riv or LACC 😉

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

11 hours ago, KhiloD said:

Agree with @hammergolf they improved TP5 as its longer this go around, but still not as hot as CTX or CT.   Callaway produced some great balls this year.   Can they take marketshare away from Titleist?  They went after it this release from a marketing and performance standpoint.  Be cool to see some Pros move into the new balls.  I mean, how many tour pros (on all tours) play Titleist?  75%?

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 2

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Just now, Avidswampthing66 said:

Fa sho! Or play Rustic Canyon, unless you got an in @ Riv or LACC 😉

Love Rustic.  Yeah, we can do golf.  Played both Riv and LACC and those joints are too high class for me, haha.  Maybe Coto de Caza or Aliso Viejo.  I've got connections there. 

• Thanks 1

Played in an epson tour pro-am Thursday.  Callaway is going all out at that tourney.  We got shopping credits so I picked up ai smoke max 3 wood.  It seemed like every girl there had a Callaway head cover.  The girl we played with had driver and 3 wood, she said the Callaway rep was out there wed passing them out for girls to try.   

i know wrong forum but my post was mostly going to be about the range and short game area were filled with CTX balls.   I’ve played this ball already but it was great to have a bucket to chip.  (I might have stuck a couple in the bag). Girls I talked to seemed to really like them.   

that tour is great by the way, I far I I could tell our girl missed 2 shots, 1 she hit a 9 iron a groove low and it still ended up 20’ uphill putt.  Which we took since mine was about 30’ downhill.   Then she tried to hit a 3 wood over a tree to a par 5 and chuncked it but she never would’ve played that shot in the tournament 

Edited by TWGator

So far testing PV1, PV1x, Diamond, and the 24 versions of CT, CTX, BX, and TP5X. 

My club has small firm greens, so I need spin in the summer. Right now the CTX is in the lead, but it spins a little too much off my Ping 10k.

I find the CTX (bottom) to be noticeably more durable than the CT (top). Both after 9 holes. That is the only scuff in the CTX, and there are 2-3 others on the CT. 

IMG_2528.jpeg.2295917e8e417e7cb3d62ace2e4dc7cf.jpeg

Edited by Fairways_and_Greens
  • Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

1 hour ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

So far testing PV1, PV1x, Diamond, and the 24 versions of CT, CTX, BX, and TP5X. 

My club has small firm greens, so I need spin in the summer. Right now the CTX is in the lead, but it spins a little too much off my Ping 10k.

I find the CTX (bottom) to be noticeably more durable than the CT (top). Both after 9 holes. That is the only scuff in the CTX, and there are 2-3 others on the CT. 

IMG_2528.jpeg.2295917e8e417e7cb3d62ace2e4dc7cf.jpeg

What did you see on CT vs CTX for driver spin and ball speed?

1 hour ago, Peterman6068 said:

What did you see on CT vs CTX for driver spin and ball speed?

I’ve been playing through back spasms. Not really moving it like I normally do, so just playing on the course.  I can check on the sim later this weekend. 

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Not worth starting a whole new thread for, but a buddy of mine gave me some expiring pro shop credit so I took CT and new TP5x out with me for nine holes each on my own. A very windy day which I often struggle with so it made for an interesting eye test. 

Truth be told, I struggled to split them! 

Driver - both exceptionally long, and impressive in their ability to hold their lines into the wind. I often struggle with over-shaping my draw when hitting into the wind, but neither ball ever hit that point in flight where I started begging it to stop going left or right. Trustworthy. Downwind was fun…!! 

Irons - a little separation in flight. CT flatter before peaking a little later, TP5X was up quickly but never “ballooned”. CT I felt had a little more spin - a downwind 9 iron actually came back a few feet on the green. Again, both holding their lines really well with and against the wind. 

ATG - a wash, perhaps a slight nod to TP5x.  Both balls had a nice initial check before releasing but certainly never playing for an “on a dime” ripping spinner, which is no issue for me personally but something to consider if you like your green side spin. 

Putting - I could swear the alignment line on TP5x was slightly arced.. just my aging eyes maybe!! CT Triple Track alignment is tried and true no problems. CT maybe a tad “slower” off the putter face, whereas I trusted the speed of TP5x much faster once I put it in play. 

“Feel” - CT felt like a bit more of a “thud”/dense where TP5x felt like a familiar friend in that high compression category, firmer but definitely not “clicky”. Perhaps explains slight difference in flights. Would not rule either out based on this at all. 

TL;DR - both CT and TP5x are excellent performers across the board, particularly if you could use a few more yards, less spin, and can work with less short game spin. I would happily blindly play either ball. TP5x is marginally cheaper which is probably the only reason I’ll stock up on these for the year now. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AusGolf22 said:

TL;DR - both CT and TP5x are excellent performers across the board, particularly if you could use a few more yards, less spin, and can work with less short game spin. I would happily blindly play either ball. TP5x is marginally cheaper which is probably the only reason I’ll stock up on these for the year now. 

Thanks for the writeup, always interesting to hear other peoples' thoughts and process.

Curious why you compared the CT to the TP5x rather than the CTX though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KParks said:

Thanks for the writeup, always interesting to hear other peoples' thoughts and process.

Curious why you compared the CT to the TP5x rather than the CTX though?

Purely out of interest based on what I had read from others and their testing - these two most interested me for my game. I don’t need any help spinning the ball so generally defer to low(er) spin offerings like these 🙂

I have played the Z star diamond now for a few years. That has been my absolute favorite ball of all time. Before that I played the Z star XV for many years. I heard about the new CTX ball and wanted to try it so I bought a dozen. The last two days I played 36 holes and could not believe how long this ball is. The course I usually play at is at elevation at almost 6000 feet so my gains are probably slightly more than those of you at sea level. Anyway, I am so impressed by the performance of his ball. It’s as good in the wind as the Srixon balls are which I always thought were the very best wind balls I’ve ever played. This ball spins just as well as the Z star diamond around the green and on my iron approaches. Driver spin seems low and the ball just goes forever. I’ll give you just one example of many yesterday of an iron shot that I hit that I could not believe. So I’m about a 160 ball speed guy on a good drive. Anyway, I tried to cut the corner on a hole and hit a cedar tree and my ball dropped down and I had about 216 yards, about half a club downhill,  half a club into the wind. Anyway I hit my 6 iron, Ping G700 (rocket launcher), and after I hit it I knew it was going to be good, the ball was very high in flight and I thought that may be on the front fringe or just in the front grass bunker. I got up there and couldn’t find my ball so I looked long  and saw it plugged in the back bunker. It flew the entire green and plugged it in the back bunker. I flew it probably 20 to 25 yards than I thought I could.  I don’t think I have never been that astonished on a golf course in 40 years. Just ridiculous. I really, really like this ball. I am a new convert!!!

• Like 4

$$$$

36 minutes ago, AusGolf22 said:

Purely out of interest based on what I had read from others and their testing - these two most interested me for my game. I don’t need any help spinning the ball so generally defer to low(er) spin offerings like these 🙂

Edit: Disregard, I got your previous post mixed up.

I must have it wrong. I was thinking the CTX was a high spin ball.

Edited by Mike412

3 minutes ago, Mike412 said:

I must have it wrong. I was thinking the CTX was a high spin ball.

The CTX is the higher spinning ball.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mike412 said:

Thanks. That’s on me, I read his post earlier this morning and thought he tested the CTX but i see now it was the CT. CTX and TP5X must have ran together in my head.

Yeah, Taylormade throws the kink in it. Their  X ball spins less but most manufacturers X ball spins more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Yeah, Taylormade throws the kink in it. Their  X ball spins less but most manufacturers X ball spins more.

If you really wanna shake things up throw BX in the mix 😅

• Haha 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

I am still very much in the testing phase of working out what will be my ball for the year. The Chrome Tour and the TP5x are my top two at the moment. Testing for me is purely course based and so far I have two practice rounds under my belt playing both side by side. One thing for certain is that I prefer the Callaway on and around the greens, it does feel softer and my distance control with the putter seems to be automatic, the TP5x for some reason comes up shorter whilst putting. 
Further testing required!

IMG_3522.jpeg

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

4 hours ago, craz-e said:

I am still very much in the testing phase of working out what will be my ball for the year. The Chrome Tour and the TP5x are my top two at the moment. Testing for me is purely course based and so far I have two practice rounds under my belt playing both side by side. One thing for certain is that I prefer the Callaway on and around the greens, it does feel softer and my distance control with the putter seems to be automatic, the TP5x for some reason comes up shorter whilst putting. 
Further testing required!

IMG_3522.jpeg

From reading your post, I think you already know which one you like, but those TP5’s do look cool sweet.

• Like 2