2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Callaway balls

GC70

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

It absolutely does. In my testing it spins more on 60yd wedge shots than any other ball I’ve tested in recent years. 

I saw a video on YouTube with a guy doing a review against a pro V1X and the CTX on an approximately 88 yard wedge shot and the CTX spun 1300 RPMs more on avg. That’s a lot!

• Like 1

$$$$

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I'm a Pro V1 player and i'm looking for a ball that's very similar with more distance. 

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I wanted to do some testing between CTX, Tour BX, BXS and Srixon Z Star Diamond (ballnamic recs), but I won’t have enough time for thorough testing before the 4 for 3 deals end. I played previous versions of each last year and never really found huge differences between them. 

I know that I usually need as much spin as I can get so the BXS and the CTX (CSX) are probably the two front runners. Since I had a bunch of callaway credit, I figured I may as well get 4 dozen for the price of 3 for free. 

My only problem is I don’t really love the triple track logo on the CTX but I can deal with it to get the deal. This will be my ball for the year. 

TSR3 9.0 / Ventus TR Black 6S

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

On 3/16/2024 at 10:01 AM, phizzy30 said:

Yes.  I think it takes all the goodness of the CSX and adds upon it. 

1st round of the year, I played the CT ball. Loved the feel, but it flew too low for me and knuckly. On to the CSX ball...

• Like 4

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

After doing more course testing I've concluded that the CTX is giving me 5 yards more carry with irons and slightly more overall distance with driver and 3 metal.  The biggest wow factor however is that retention of ball speed with misses regarding bad contact.  I've noticed that my misses aren't nearly as punishing in terms of loss of carry distance with the CTX.  Two examples include a par 3 that played 180 after factoring in wind, elevation, etc.  I wanted to land the ball about 5-7 yards short of the pin and hop and stop.   Hit 8 iron and it hit it slightly heel side.  I figured the ball would plug in the green side bunker but it ended up being bouncing on  the fringe and creeping on the front edge of the green.  Another example is that I slightly mishit my 3 metal off the tee toe side on a very narrow fairway and it still ended up in the fairway 265 yards from the tee box.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

16 hours ago, Wardonation said:

1st round of the year, I played the CT ball. Loved the feel, but it flew too low for me and knuckly. On to the CSX ball...

Given this, pretty sure you'll love the X.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Final Thoughts as I am between CT and CTX for the testing.

Here are the numbers. I think CT is the ball to go with, but welcome opinions (I like more short game spin). 

DRIVER:

CT: 278 yard average (5 yard gap), 165 Ball speed, 2,307 spin

CTX: 272 yard average (14 yard gap), 165 Ball speed, 2,623 spin

6 IRON:

CT: 193 yard average (20 yard gap), 133 ball speed, 5,639 spin

CTX: 195 yard average (20 yard gap), 134 ball speed, 5,625 spin

8 IRON:

CT: 172 yard average (13 yard gap), 125 ball speed, 6,794 spin

CTX: 165 yard average (9 yard gap), 121 ball speed, 6,568 spin

PW:

CT: 134 yard average (11 yard gap), 104 ball speed, 7,610 spin

CTX: 138 yard average (23 yard gap), 106 ball speed, 7,145 spin

52 DEG:

CT: 126 yard average (14 yard gap), 100 ball speed, 7,640 spin

CTX: 128 yard average (15 yard gap), 99 ball speed, 6,629 spin

I guess I am leaning toward the CT as it feels better and the numbers are generally higher spinning than CTX. I don't know that it will translate to short game spin though. I expected those numbers to be the complete opposite for the ball. 

*SIDE NOTE: the gap is taking the shortest shot and the longest shot, I found that I nuked a couple balls but I kept them on here for testing to see the difference.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

Here are the numbers. I think CT is the ball to go with, but welcome opinions (I like more short game spin). 

DRIVER:

6 IRON:

8 IRON:

PW:

52 DEG:

I guess I am leaning toward the CT as it feels better and the numbers are generally higher spinning than CTX. I don't know that it will translate to short game spin though. I expected those numbers to be the complete opposite for the ball. 

*SIDE NOTE: the gap is taking the shortest shot and the longest shot, I found that I nuked a couple balls but I kept them on here for testing to see the difference.

Going by this data alone, I'd say there's no question the CT is the better ball for you.

What's curious is how the iron spin and distance data your test produced is contrary to the engineering intent and results most others are seeing. Neither here nor there, in the end, and think you need to give more weight to your own personally produced results.

WITB Link

20 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Going by this data alone, I'd say there's no question the CT is the better ball for you.

What's curious is how the iron spin and distance data your test produced is contrary to the engineering intent and results most others are seeing. Neither here nor there, in the end, and think you need to give more weight to your own personally produced results.

that is why I’m questioning it!

I agree CT is the right ball based on my data and it feels better too. 

guess I’m looking for reassurance it’s the right choice 🤣

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

that is why I’m questioning it!

I agree CT is the right ball based on my data and it feels better too. 

guess I’m looking for reassurance it’s the right choice 🤣

Unless it proves otherwise with further on-course use, I'd say you're good to go.

WITB Link

2 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

DRIVER:

6 IRON:

8 IRON:

PW:

52 DEG:

I expected the numbers to be opposite as well.  Interesting. 

5 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

DRIVER:

6 IRON:

8 IRON:

PW:

52 DEG:

Thank you for your results I’m not sure if you mentioned it earlier but what is your driver swing speed?

8 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

DRIVER:

6 IRON:

8 IRON:

PW:

52 DEG:

CT for the win!!  I only trust what I see and feel on course and def don't trust yahoo Callaway marketing.  Seems like CT prefers your swing and impact location just a bit better.  Though, from looks of it you could easily game either!

• Thanks 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

58 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

CT for the win!!  I only trust what I see and feel on course and def don't trust yahoo Callaway marketing.  Seems like CT prefers your swing and impact location just a bit better.  Though, from looks of it you could easily game either!

I agree. 

I will be going with the CT. Now to find it without the triple tracks on sale! Haha

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BradL13 said:

Going to pick up a case of the CT or the CTX to try on Wednesday.  Any recommendations for a higher swing speed player?  I loved the CSXLS and always have played prov1x.  Everyone seems to love the CT/CTX so far so I am eager to get my hands on some. 

I played the CSX LS 1st gen until Cally messed it up with gen 2.  Currently playing CTX. 

• Like 2

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

A general question, do we see the CT or CTX being the better wind ball?  What's the best performance wind ball available from all manufacturers?  The pro events over the weekend have all been subjected to high wind conditions and it shows in how much they struggle.  Especially in the final third flight where they apex and spin no longer controls where the ball is pushed offline.  For example, Xander is a very steady player, but is using the CT best for him when it's windy and the ball is getting pushed down on wedges resulting in missed greens short??

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

On 2/16/2024 at 3:50 PM, FISHSTIX said:

Just chiming in here after my experience today playing the Chrome Tour for the first time. Performance is solid but not earth shattering. Definitely long off the irons with decent spin around the green and soft feel off the putter. But wow the durability is poor. Full wedge, nick a tree, etc. and it's basically done. Pretty shocking given the hype from Callaway around this ball. No chance I'm moving from Pro V1 to this. 

Felt the need to update here after my previous negative comments. I bought another sleeve of CTs on a whim yesterday and wow this ball is good. Played 18 with the same ball and no durability issues at all. I must have had a bad batch previously. I enjoyed it so much I just bought several dozen and think I have my ball for the season. Long off the driver and irons, soft off the putter, enough spin around the greens. It's great. I've been testing several of the 2024 balls over the past few weeks vs. the Pro V1 that I played all last season and for me (100-105 SS) and my subjective ranking is below for those in the same boat looking for a ball. But I think it's CT for me. 

Driver Distance:

TP5x

CT

BX

CTX

ProV1

Iron Distance:

CT

TP5x

BX

ProV1

CTX

Short Game Spin:

CTX

BX

CT

TP5x

ProV1

Putter Feel (Soft to Hard): 

ProV1

CT

CTX

TP5x

BX

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aussieb said:

A general question, do we see the CT or CTX being the better wind ball?  What's the best performance wind ball available from all manufacturers?  The pro events over the weekend have all been subjected to high wind conditions and it shows in how much they struggle.  Especially in the final third flight where they apex and spin no longer controls where the ball is pushed offline.  For example, Xander is a very steady player, but is using the CT best for him when it's windy and the ball is getting pushed down on wedges resulting in missed greens short??

Bridgestone is better in the wind...by a fairly significant margin. The tour b x just doesn't move much in the wind and it travels farther into the wind than any other ball.

Played in a 2 club wind yesterday and was able to hit b x (my gamer for years) and ct on every shot. B x was almost 1 club longer into wind than ct on iron shots.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aussieb said:

For me and from my testing the Bridgestone Tour BX is the best. Especially in crosswinds. It also ranks highest in Ping’s Balnamic testing for wind performance.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

After 25 years of watching 5 others get holes in one, the gods delivered mine today with the CT. Just an outstanding ball, everybody should play it! 😂

Awesome! Congrats on the ace.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Shot 74 with CTX today.  We were playing from the white tees though at Creste Verde so it played pretty short.  It got really windy from the 13th hole on and the CTX cuts through the wind remarkably well.  I don't say this very often but I was hitting the ball too straight today, so I missed some approach shots right of the green, lol.  No complaints about the CTX whatsoever.  It's as close to perfect as it can get for my hacker swing. 

• Like 2