2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Callaway balls

GC70

19 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Yeah totally.  CTX would fit nicely there.  CTX has a slightly softer feel off putter and wedge than CSX because of the softish cover.  Chrome Tour plays like CSX LS.  The cover is firm so it comes across as more clicky than CTX even though the compression is slightly lower.  Having tested side by side with Pro V1, CT is nothing like that ball IMO.  I think Chrome Tour is a really cool ball.  There is no ball like it.

interesting.....cant wait to hit them both

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

not when you are used to the previous lineup. i just have to get rid of the previous models where it was CS, CSX and CSX LS......the LS is now the CT

Not really though. The CT is a new beast in it's own. It's based off a tour proto played by a bunch of guys last year. the CT isn't high compression/firm like the CSX LS. It is just carrying characteristics of that ball due to its long distance/straightness.

Callaway never had a true Pro V1 competitor, this is what the CT is built to beat.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

6 hours ago, TWGator said:

So what are the differences in the CT and the prov1?  I’m basically looking for a higher launching Prov1 or a lower spinning Prov 1x, I guess closer to the left dash.

5 hours ago, KhiloD said:

Should be similiar launch to the Pro V1 with lower spin that Pro V1x and from many player reviews, just goes long off driver.

I agree with Khilo here with a little lower spin than Pro V1 and def lower than Pro V1X.  Feel is firmer than Pro V.  Chrome Tour is a mid flight golf ball for sure.   Its by no means a low flight ball.

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

1 minute ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I agree with Khilo here with a little lower spin than Pro V1 and def lower than Pro V1X.  Feel is firmer than Pro V.  Chrome Tour is a mid flight golf ball for sure.   Its by no means a low flight ball.

I think I’m in a weird spot, I want higher launch with the driver and lower with the irons. Or maybe I should just reshaft my irons!

2 hours ago, remlap13 said:

All you ball experts, help a guy out... 

Which of the new Callaway offerings would resemble the Wilson Triad? I played the Triad most of last year due to the slightly cheaper price point, but am curious about trying one of these new offerings out. 

Out of the tour balls, I would say Chrome Tour because the compression rating is closer  But, you will see more distance and a little less spin.  The new Chrome Soft would be closer imo.  I have yet to hit the new one, but they say it spins a little better around the greens than prior gen.   Still soft!

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

3 minutes ago, TWGator said:

I think I’m in a weird spot, I want higher launch with the driver and lower with the irons. Or maybe I should just reshaft my irons!

The flight with CT is lower with irons for sure.  Mid off the driver for me.  So, in theory, if I wanted to launch my driver higher, I wouldn't rely on the ball, but the loft of the club and maybe a slightly softer tip shaft.  I try and tailor the ball to my short game and go from there.

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

54 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

The flight with CT is lower with irons for sure.  Mid off the driver for me.  So, in theory, if I wanted to launch my driver higher, I wouldn't rely on the ball, but the loft of the club and maybe a slightly softer tip shaft.  I try and tailor the ball to my short game and go from there.

Haha yea I get it, I’m kind of a mess right now, still getting used to the Apex CBs.  The left dash seems to hit my distances the best but I’m not crazy about it around the greens.  I already have Ventus red 6s shaft in the driver @10* so I like it but don’t wanna hit it any lower and don’t want to go up in loft.  Possible could drop down to the 5s shaft.

39 minutes ago, TWGator said:

Haha yea I get it, I’m kind of a mess right now, still getting used to the Apex CBs.  The left dash seems to hit my distances the best but I’m not crazy about it around the greens.  I already have Ventus red 6s shaft in the driver @10* so I like it but don’t wanna hit it any lower and don’t want to go up in loft.  Possible could drop down to the 5s shaft.

10/4

I have a feeling CT will be a heavy hitter for you.  Ct spins good around the greens and is so long off the tee.  I tested it up against -dash (among others) and it was consistently longer.  

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Likely that Callaway will run a 4 for 3 deal in March? 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

15 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Out of the tour balls, I would say Chrome Tour because the compression rating is closer  But, you will see more distance and a little less spin.  The new Chrome Soft would be closer imo.  I have yet to hit the new one, but they say it spins a little better around the greens than prior gen.   Still soft!

Thank you sir! I might grab a box of each (CT and CS) and do some testing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, remlap13 said:

Thank you sir! I might grab a box of each (CT and CS) and do some testing. 

Let us know how it goes! 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Very interested to try the Tour. Ballnamic recommended the LS and X to me last year. I played the LS and still have a few left. The performance was there but the cover durability just put me off. They improved it over the OG but it still was not good. Never tried a Left Dot but if this is similar then its a definite try for me.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 7:20 PM, TWGator said:

is it LAUNCH or trajectory you are looking for? 

I find many people are dead set on talking launch and seeing a number on a monitor when in fact they want to hit a certain window of trajectory.....for me its about hitting a certain window and wanting the ball to peak later and fall at a certain angle to the green. I could care less if the launch is 18 degrees or 19 as long as it hits the window i like. 

42 minutes ago, tsecor said:

is it LAUNCH or trajectory you are looking for? 

I find many people are dead set on talking launch and seeing a number on a monitor when in fact they want to hit a certain window of trajectory.....for me its about hitting a certain window and wanting the ball to peak later and fall at a certain angle to the green. I could care less if the launch is 18 degrees or 19 as long as it hits the window i like. 

Yes exactly, i would just like to see a higher peak.  And honestly not sure how much that will help me, I don’t spend much time at all on a monitor so I’m just going off on course results.  I don’t have the peak height that some guys I play with have but many times can have equal total distance.  Overall I think I want more carry less roll but maybe I need more swing speed for that.  Im usually right around 100mph and a 5 handicap so I get it around pretty good.  

These balls sound intriguing. I've been playing the Prov1x as long as I can remember, and have been wanting to try something a little different. I switched from a draw to a fade off the tee and noticed that I could spin it a bit much and that the flight was a little higher than I liked. I've been considering trying the Prov1 but don't want to give up on ball speed. Sounds like a Chrome Tour could be the winner. Will definitely try a box of these when they come out.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

40 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Played 16 more this morning before the lightning showed up; more confirmation that the Tour is great but I’m a CTX guy. Second hole this morning I had 157 stick with a ridge two yards short. Stock number for 9 is 150, 8 is 163 so I tried to hit a change up 8. Good lie, struck it well, flew right over the flag. Found the pitch mark 10 feet past, so the lower spin presents me problems when having to manufacture a carry distance shorter than full. 

CT is LONG, flies heavy in the wind, pleasant feel, plenty of spin around the green, and will be perfect for players who fight high iron spin. 

Thanks for the insight! I’m pretty high spin across the board and rely on Dash and BX mainly, and I trust them both but not opposed to something that might feel a little softer which CT apparently does? Expensive but might have to give them a run and find out

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AusGolf22 said:

Thanks for the insight! I’m pretty high spin across the board and rely on Dash and BX mainly, and I trust them both but not opposed to something that might feel a little softer which CT apparently does? Expensive but might have to give them a run and find out

CT would be well worth a test run!

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I still need to test the new BX, but for now 'm all in on CTX.  Such a good ball.  I was seeing mid height and great distance today with driver on a very blustery day.  The ball just wants to HOLDS ITS LINE.  Spin around the greens is top tier and iron control just as good.  I think I would game Chrome Tour in the summer to take advantage of the distance gains.  

• Like 3

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

5 minutes ago, Notsohotshot said:

Played with a guy today that’s a Callaway Staffer. He let me try the Chrome Tour. This is what it looked like after a 90 yard shot with a gap wedge. Maybe I got a dud idk. 

IMG_3822.jpeg

Not discounting what happened for you, but I had no such issues with the CT and my iron/wedge grooves are very fresh.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Played a round with Chrome Tour over the weekend and was thoroughly impressed.  I have been a long time ProV1 loyalist and think that this ball could easily replace the ProV1 going forward.  Ball flight with the CT was more neutral with the driver and I was getting significantly more rollout due to the less peak height.  Off the irons and wedges, the CT felt a little firmer than the ProV1 but not to the point that it was unpleasant to me.  Greenside spin will take a bit of time to get used to because I was getting a bit more spin based on this first round.

Wish I had more to test..I got a two-pack from Callaway, but a mower shredded on of them on the 5th hole tee-shot.  Played the other ball for the remainder of the holes.

Only issue so far seems to be durability.  Flighted gap wedge (SM9 with at least 100 rounds) put some nice cut marks in the cover on hole 6.  I played the ball for the duration of the round with no noted issued concerning flight or performance. 

5 hours ago, Notsohotshot said:

Played with a guy today that’s a Callaway Staffer. He let me try the Chrome Tour. This is what it looked like after a 90 yard shot with a gap wedge. Maybe I got a dud idk. 

IMG_3822.jpeg

I've played 5-6 rounds with both balls and nothing like this has occurred. That looks like cart path ball!   My SS is around 105, do you have a lot of speed?

• Like 2

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

2 hours ago, Notsohotshot said:

Definitely didn’t hit a cart path haha. 

I’m just shy of 105mph. Usually around 100-103mph

Let's hope you got a dud.  At Nearly $60 a doz, we don't need a dud.

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, elwhippy said:

Haven't seen any recent ball mark up that much. Are you wedges legal, or do you have a particularly aggressive downward strike? 

I’m a digger but don’t make trenches or anything so nothing excessive. This was a very good strike that took a divot. I used a CBX Zipcore 50°. I was very surprised to see how chewed up the cover was. Like I said, could’ve been a dud. But at $60/dozen I don’t want to take that chance.