Ping 2024

9 hours ago, Kenny Lee Puckett said:

erock9174,

I wanted to apologize, when you asked about "updates" on the ChipR that wasn't just fluff, and in a comment I made it out to be.

I can at least try and help. no, personally I haven't heard anything new in ChipR coming out. my guess is it's just too soon for that.    👍

No worries.  I saw where Ping trademarked the names 'BumpIt' and 'Bump N Run' and thought it might be a new chipper coming out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

2 hours ago, erock9174 said:

No worries.  I saw where Ping trademarked the names 'BumpIt' and 'Bump N Run' and thought it might be a new chipper coming out.

yea, who knows, they might revise ChipR a little in the future for finesse. I see you bag the Cleveland C. shorter, lighter, more lofted, and more of a glide sole. IMO better suited design for most chipping work directly around the green. EDIT: in Arizona ideal for our tightly mown greenside aprons and lack of any significant greenside rough, many people buy/use them here.

the ChipR is like tank. longer length, heavy, lower lofted. IMO for player who, for whatever reason "chips" lets call it, final approach shots a lot. meaning distances way out away from the green, always brings it in low and runs it back to every pin location. sure it's indestructible when used for nasty trouble shots, in Arizona they'd call it a glorified "rock club". I'm sure if you really had to you could fly & then run out a shot with ChipR a country mile.

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett
  • Like 1

ChipR-HL for me. 52º would be lovely.

KLP same here. 38 doesn't have any use here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:49 AM, Kenny Lee Puckett said:

yea, who knows, they might revise ChipR a little in the future for finesse. I see you bag the Cleveland C. shorter, lighter, more lofted, and more of a glide sole. IMO better suited design for most chipping work directly around the green. EDIT: in Arizona ideal for our tightly mown greenside aprons and lack of any significant greenside rough, many people buy/use them here.

the ChipR is like tank. longer length, heavy, lower lofted. IMO for player who, for whatever reason "chips" lets call it, final approach shots a lot. meaning distances way out away from the green, always brings it in low and runs it back to every pin location. sure it's indestructible when used for nasty trouble shots, in Arizona they'd call it a glorified "rock club". I'm sure if you really had to you could fly & then run out a shot with ChipR a country mile.

Fair assessment. 

Honestly I had given up on using my Smart Sole C for pretty much anything close to the green as I like my normal wedges better (more feel to me)  and mainly use it for shots in that no mans land with no issues or trouble in front of the green from say 5 yds off to 40-50 yds out.   Where it sort of becomes, in my mind, a more lag putt like stroke.  

I am not one to use an 8 or 9i to hit chips or pitches but during my last round I spend some time on a couple holes messing around hitting a toe down 9i bump and run and got close both times.  could have been just a couple of one off examples where it worked, but it got me to thinking back to the ChipR when I had it.  Also when I chip I usually choke down to the bottom of the grip making the Smart Sole C or say a 9i very light feeling to where I thinkk the heft of the ChipR might be nice to keep the SW up.  

But I agree, when I briefly had the ChipR when it came out I tried to use it greenside and would just blow it by the hole each time and the Smart Sole C being higher lofted was much more accurate for me.  I then started looking for an old Niblick in 50* but they were hard to come by.  So I bought a knock off one from DiamondTour Golf called the HyEdge in 50*, but I got it with a 75g graphite shaft and it felt way too light to me.  Should have went heavier steel.  

• Thanks 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

On 8/30/2023 at 7:25 AM, WristySwing said:

One of the harshest clubs I have owned that pretends to be forged.  But they fly high, straight, go a country mile, and spin.  Plus, they are one of the only companies that does offset well.  TM, Callaway, Cobra, and Titleist all suffer from the same fate.  They don't make their blade lengths long enough for the amount of offset they put on their clubs so it ends up looking like a near 90* edge when transitioning from the blade to the hosel.  I know I am going to get some insane flack for this, but go look at the Apex Pro, Cobra King Tec, Titleist T300, and P790 and put them all down at address.  Then do the same for the i525.  You will see what I mean.

As for the topics at hand, if Ping could make the i530 feel good it would probably be the best selling player's distance iron of that release cycle.  They did drastically improve the feel and sound in the G430 drivers.  I just wish they would fill the heads with something, anything....to make it feel better.  Even the i230 to me sounds and feels clunky compared to other releases.  Also count me in for a Black Glide 4.0/5.0.  The Stealth 2.0 was the best wedge series I have ever played, it barely showed any wear after 2 seasons, and spun plenty fine.  Surely the engineers at Ping can figure out how to make a black hydropearl, even it drops spin by 100 RPMs, that's not enough to make a difference that could not be accounted for on strike alone for the average player.

I agree that if the i530 can match the feel of p790, PXG, cobra and others they will be a HUGE seller for them.

• Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I agree that if the i530 can match the feel of p790, PXG, cobra and others they will be a HUGE seller for them.

heck, I'd take it feeling like a Hot Metal Pro at this point.  Although, off of grass the click is much more muted and you don't notice it being firm hardly at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

6 hours ago, Bbunty said:

Looks like Louis O. was using a Voss model at the Dunhill. 

Saw that, but I’m asking if anyone has heard anything on additional models being added to the retail PLD Milled line. 

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Say, this might be a strange question, but does Ping make anything like a tour-only bonded hosel G430 LST 3w? I'm rather partial to bonded hosels, unless the adapter is like the Callaway adapter, and doesn't rotate the shaft whenever you change a setting.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

8 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

Say, this might be a strange question, but does Ping make anything like a tour-only bonded hosel G430 LST 3w? I'm rather partial to bonded hosels, unless the adapter is like the Callaway adapter, and doesn't rotate the shaft whenever you change a setting.

Essentially, no. Suggest you try it, find your setting, and then go through the trouble of resetting the hosel and grip and shaft direction once you're sure.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I stopped at a Big box store today and by far the most sets of used irons of one brand were i230, there were at least 5-6 sets I saw. But I was not really looking for PING, just noticed there were quite few.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

4 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I stopped at a Big box store today and by far the most sets of used irons of one brand were i230, there were at least 5-6 sets I saw. But I was not really looking for PING, just noticed there were quite few.

I get this feeling that the i230's were not a step forward from the i210's. I haven't hit them to compare, though.

I for one don't believe in tip weights, and I don't like the look of the screw in the toe, either. Thus, my i210's stay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

26 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

I get this feeling that the i230's were not a step forward from the i210's. I haven't hit them to compare, though.

I for one don't believe in tip weights, and I don't like the look of the screw in the toe, either. Thus, my i210's stay.

Honestly, if you have 210s, you're not missing much. Just feel, and a small difference in where the cog is.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, ShAMbotay said:

I230 are an unbelievable iron

high, stable, fast, etc 
The one issue is the sole….turf interaction needs work 

They fix that, this club elevates HUGE

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

Sorry for this being off topic, but can anyone confirm if the I200 irons have tungsten low in the toe, but is not marked?  I found an old review of the IE1 which said that it did, but there is no marking on that model either.  Don't see a mark on the I210 either.  I assume it would be found in the 3-7 irons if so.  I guess I could call Ping, but thought I would check here first....thanks

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping I230 4 - PW| TT DG 105 S300

Cleveland RTX4 50* & 56*| KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

7 hours ago, pjc said:

Sorry for this being off topic, but can anyone confirm if the I200 irons have tungsten low in the toe, but is not marked?  I found an old review of the IE1 which said that it did, but there is no marking on that model either.  Don't see a mark on the I210 either.  I assume it would be found in the 3-7 irons if so.  I guess I could call Ping, but thought I would check here first....thanks

Yes. Same; it's 3 - 7i.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mikeh7 said:

Anyone hear anything about an i525 replacement? I was fit a few weeks ago and the fitter mentioned they were coming (ended up with split set i230 7-G, 4-6 i525). 

It's generally accepted there's an i530 due in January/February, but that's not guaranteed. There's little doubt they'll keep a players-hollow category in their lineup.

• Like 1

I wonder if the i530 will be a bit larger and more forgiving than i525.

I know Ping fitters often combo i525 longer irons with i230 irons but that's more a ball speed story (i525 is faster) than forgiveness, where i525 is arguably less forgiving (lower MOI and higher VCoG).

If you want more forgiving long irons you have to jump to G irons, which is a big difference. In Titleist terms, it's like Ping is missing the T200.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I wonder if the i530 will be a bit larger and more forgiving than i525.

I know Ping fitters often combo i525 longer irons with i230 irons but that's more a ball speed story (i525 is faster) than forgiveness, where i525 is arguably less forgiving (lower MOI and higher VCoG).

If you want more forgiving long irons you have to jump to G irons, which is a big difference. In Titleist terms, it's like Ping is missing the T200.

As long as they keep the playability I'd be fine with that.  The i525 are some of the best irons I've ever played.

I love that they look like a blade and play like a GI iron.  So good.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

If PING took the i500s and made them softer feeling - like a PXG or Mizuno Forged, and called it the i530, I’d be happy.

I’m really curious to see what it looks like when it gets announced. 

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

1 hour ago, ibluetooth said:

If PING took the i500s and made them softer feeling - like a PXG or Mizuno Forged, and called it the i530, I’d be happy.

I’m really curious to see what it looks like when it gets announced. 

If they could make the i530 feel like PXG they would be my perfect iron. Everything about the i525 were great EXCEPT sound and feel.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

14 hours ago, PGA61 said:

Yes, new PLD coming. Saw 2 of them inblack finish, don't remember model's. They have deep milling faces.

Dang, which models are coming out is what people really want to know. Already figured they’d have deep amp milling and that half of them would be black finish just like the rest that are already out. 

Blueprints were on sale for $999.99 CAD the other day at Golf Town, guess those new ones are coming soon

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"