2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Not letting my pride buy my clubs again!

FiveByEagle

Hello all! Hope you've had a good week.

So I have decided that I need golf to be more FUN. I currently game around a 12hcp and play 2021 T100's.

Backstory: As a middle schooler I was gifted a hand-me-down set of muscle backs and that shape has just been my preference since day zero.Even when I was a 40hcp, I didnt like the look of a "shovel" at address, and it drove me nuts. So even though they have been out of my skill range, I have always been significantly more comfortable with a compact head. Obvious trade off is obvious. But it was an emotional response,

Fast forward to now - been using the T100's since they dropped and they are great! Love the feel, love the result of a flushed shot. However on a relaxing evening after work, a party round with the boys, or even a blow off some steam round - my ratio of flushed shots to "not-so" flushed shots skews a bit to the right. Whats caused this entire thought is I recently played in a tournament in mid-Ohio, followed directly by a Florida golf trip with family. During these rounds, I was commanding with my woods, wedges and putter. Irons were OK but the thins, or slight toe-jobs would nearly always cause me to get into some serious trouble. And after playing 5 rounds in 5 days the noticeable lack of forgiveness really added up. So many shots I want back forever that really didnt need to be as bad as they ended up. 

Question: Wondering, what should I be considering? An (OK) player who plays often, wants a semi-compact head that is more control based than distance based. I have played the P770's and found them quite hot and explosive and I feel that gapping could become and issue. Pings i230's are on the radar - ZX5's are there, and with Mizuno, I am just not aware of their offerings very much. The i230's compact shape but not so actual compact size was very appealing and it felt a bit more forgiving than the T100.

Love some opinions!!

Driver - G425 Max w a AltaCB S 55

3 Wood - TSI2 Tensei Blue 65 S

5 Wood - TSi2 Tensei Blue 64 S

Hybrid - Cobra RadSpeed 21º ES Recoil S

Irons - 5-PW Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Modus105 S

Wedges - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52/10 + Full Face RTX Zipcore 58/9

Putter - Odyssey Versa White Hot One

Bag: Cobra Ultralight Stand

Ball : Titieist ProV1 - Demoing the Callaway Chrome Tour for 2024 

I am a 12.6 index who plays the ZX5s and loves them. While they are largely "point and shoot" I feel I can work the ball a bit... but mostly they just want to go straight. There is nothing like the feel of a flushed iron and these give that feel when properly struck and a lessened distance loss when not struck on center. How much do I like them? I have a brand new set of the exact same specs sitting in my garage just waiting to be played!

Good luck in your quest.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

Will really need to consider these.

Driver - G425 Max w a AltaCB S 55

3 Wood - TSI2 Tensei Blue 65 S

5 Wood - TSi2 Tensei Blue 64 S

Hybrid - Cobra RadSpeed 21º ES Recoil S

Irons - 5-PW Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Modus105 S

Wedges - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52/10 + Full Face RTX Zipcore 58/9

Putter - Odyssey Versa White Hot One

Bag: Cobra Ultralight Stand

Ball : Titieist ProV1 - Demoing the Callaway Chrome Tour for 2024 

There are now tons of options between the "player's" stuff and the GI category. Every OEM is going to have something to offer. A few popular options would be:

Srixon ZX5 (even the ZX7 is pretty big/stable for a "player's" club)

Titleist T200 (great look for a GI club!)

TaylorMade P790 (uber-popular club)

Ping i525 (fits the bill)

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Don't overlook a combo set.  Srixon and the new Titleist T-Series make this very easy.  I would throw the new Callaway Apex and Mizuno in there e as well.  Probably a few more I'm missing.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

P770's are much better if you weaken them through the set a bit and easier to gap.  I play a 48 degree PW as a starting point and play down weaker through the set.  The added loft helps cut off some of the unnecessary distance that makes gapping tough and adds some needed spin.  Although even in their standard lofts I didn't find them to be explosive, just a little lower on the spin than I'd prefer. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Of the irons mentioned so far in this thread and one other I will add in that are the best on toe strikes.....

1.  ZX5 and ZX7, do a split set, both are more forgiving than a lot on toe strikes.  You could stick with ZX5 for the whole set if you want as well.

2.  the i230 is not quite as forgiving on the toe, but more so than the others on this thread.

3.  The Cobra King Tours, I have them in the bag now and they are very forgiving on toe strikes.  The King CB are not as forgiving toe side as the tours.

My miss is toe side, I NEVER miss heel side, so I tend to end up in irons that have good to great toe misses.  I still have a set of ZX5 and ZX7 in my workshop because they are so toe side forgiving.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I’m an 11.8 currently and I came down to the ZX5s and I230s. I stayed in the Cleveland/Srixon family as I played UHX irons previously and went with the ZX5s for their sole over the Pings. I don’t think you can go wrong, go with what you fit into best or just want more, I’m not sure there’s anything much between them 

Titleist TSR2 9*

Ping G430 3w & 5w

Ping   22* & 26* G430 Hybrids

Srixon ZX5 6i-PW, CBX Zipcore 48*,  54* & 58*

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S

Srixon Z-Star

Shotscope X5

Ping Hoofer 14 Way

QOD Motorized Pushcart & Clicgear Model 8

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Of the irons mentioned so far in this thread and one other I will add in that are the best on toe strikes.....

1.  ZX5 and ZX7, do a split set, both are more forgiving than a lot on toe strikes.  You could stick with ZX5 for the whole set if you want as well.

2.  the i230 is not quite as forgiving on the toe, but more so than the others on this thread.

3.  The Cobra King Tours, I have them in the bag now and they are very forgiving on toe strikes.  The King CB are not as forgiving toe side as the tours.

My miss is toe side, I NEVER miss heel side, so I tend to end up in irons that have good to great toe misses.  I still have a set of ZX5 and ZX7 in my workshop because they are so toe side forgiving.

I second the Cobra King Tours

• Like 2

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

T150 sound up your alley. Or the Callaway x-forged Cb (2021) 

I looked at them the other day. Look much more friendly then the 100’s

i am to in the same boat as you. Love the compact iron look. 

considering zx7 , Callaway apex Cb 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

T150/T200 combo set.  Or just the T200’s

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Were you fit for your shaft? If you were 'commanding' with your woods and wedges but weren't squaring up irons properly then it could be a timing issue from your iron shafts. I'd look at that first and consider reshafting because T100 are about as forgiving as it gets for anything 'semi-compact.' ZX7/5, i230, King Tours are all great but not really materially more forgiving. 

Otherwise, if you really want to prioritize something more forgiving then look at a Ping 'retro loft' GI club like G430.

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

4 hours ago, cradd10 said:

Jpx 923 hot metal pro.   

This is a great option. You seek ease of use; this club fits the bill. But, unlike most GI clubs it has the shape you may be looking for and it’s not that big for a GI head. 
Plus, they’re relatively cheap ($962 for 7 clubs) with many free options on shafts and grips. The downside is it takes Mizuno 4-6 weeks to deliver a custom order. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Callaway Apex 2021 could be great for you and they have been running a good sale making way for the new new..  Srixon ZX5 are hard to beat in the category, but the spin can be a little low.  

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

I know the feeling as age catches up to us. I have played Players Distance irons for many years now and it's time to back off a bit. Not able to hit those 300 yard bombs like it was nothing. I have 2 of the best drivers and have played some of the very best drivers even some JDM drivers but my swing speed had dropped and my irons play hasn't been as sharp as it used to be.

My 1st big change has been going with GI irons as I picked up some Titleist T-350 with SteelFiber shafts and Wow! shooting for the pins has been fun again as my confidence level has been the biggest factor in switching. Now talking about driver my Tsr2 and Stealth 2+ both with some premium shafts are both everything I could ask for. Love em'.

Now with a stiff back from time to time I'm trying the TM Stealth Gloire Drivers as I have the Gloire 3W and love it. If it can keep my in the fairway more often and easier to swing without dealing with some frequent back issues this will be what I will finish the season with. I like the looks and the feel of the carbon face of my Stealth 2+ as this is why I went with TM instead of the Paradym Star. I don't care for the long stretch flat shape of the Star.  I'm starting to realize my limitations as it's much harder now to keep up with all the young bucks out there as I also feel that I must keep my ego uncheck when I do play with people my own age as one of the biggest things I hear is you must play this game a lot, and now to me its more about having fun and I'm having more fun than ever before so don't let your ego get in the way of playing good golf and having fun

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

22 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

If your pride is out of the picture, why the semi compact head?

Get some “shovels” and just get used to it.

This and a few others got it right. 9.1 here and playing PXG XPs and have 4-7 hybrids from Callaway. Easy to hit and my 9.1 is from playing only once a week. Now If I could only putt….

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

On 9/1/2023 at 1:10 PM, Chunkitgood said:

If your pride is out of the picture, why the semi compact head?

Get some “shovels” and just get used to it.

And you can completely negate the "too strong lofts" by going down a club.  Almost all SGI irons are 1 club stronger of a traditional set.  Just order 1 club down at the length you would normally play. Take the G430 irons that are some of the more targeted clubs by the loft police. PW is 41.5, 9 is 36*, 8 is 31.5*, 27.5* 7i and so on. To me, that is a relatively modern set stepped one club strong as more modern clubs usually have a 27* 6i. Just order one club down, instead of 5i-PW as they are, order 5-GW and you could call it your 4-PW.  Who's going to know other than you?

We hit a loft to a yardage, not a number on the bottom to a yardage. If you hit a 23* club that is 38" long 190 yards it doesn't matter if that club is stamped 3i or PW, it's still going to fly that yardage.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Well when you're hitting the ball with more consistency with both your driver/woods/irons with the accurate estimated yardage while having your ball hold the intended line you were aiming at to me is more fun for me. I know that no one can go boogie free at least most of us can't for there are good boogies and bad one and also I would rather be lucky at golf than good. I've always said when I first started to golf it was always the good shots that kept me coming back and I like it when I can go Wow! now that was a golf shot. I know dream on but just getting out and golfing is fun and not having a hole that can ruin your score 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 8/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, FiveByEagle said:

Hello all! Hope you've had a good week.

So I have decided that I need golf to be more FUN. I currently game around a 12hcp and play 2021 T100's.

Backstory: As a middle schooler I was gifted a hand-me-down set of muscle backs and that shape has just been my preference since day zero.Even when I was a 40hcp, I didnt like the look of a "shovel" at address, and it drove me nuts. So even though they have been out of my skill range, I have always been significantly more comfortable with a compact head. Obvious trade off is obvious. But it was an emotional response,

Fast forward to now - been using the T100's since they dropped and they are great! Love the feel, love the result of a flushed shot. However on a relaxing evening after work, a party round with the boys, or even a blow off some steam round - my ratio of flushed shots to "not-so" flushed shots skews a bit to the right. Whats caused this entire thought is I recently played in a tournament in mid-Ohio, followed directly by a Florida golf trip with family. During these rounds, I was commanding with my woods, wedges and putter. Irons were OK but the thins, or slight toe-jobs would nearly always cause me to get into some serious trouble. And after playing 5 rounds in 5 days the noticeable lack of forgiveness really added up. So many shots I want back forever that really didnt need to be as bad as they ended up. 

Question: Wondering, what should I be considering? An (OK) player who plays often, wants a semi-compact head that is more control based than distance based. I have played the P770's and found them quite hot and explosive and I feel that gapping could become and issue. Pings i230's are on the radar - ZX5's are there, and with Mizuno, I am just not aware of their offerings very much. The i230's compact shape but not so actual compact size was very appealing and it felt a bit more forgiving than the T100.

Love some opinions!!

If you're thinking of the i230s, I'd recommend the i525s.  I'm a scratch(ish) golfer and play the i525s and I absolutely love them.  They look like blades, but play like SGI irons.  Totally slept on in my opinion, but I'll add the caveat, that they can feel terrible when you clank em, but I mean don't call clubs?

I have a set of i230's that I'm trying to sell and I personally was not a fan for my misses.  The good ones were GOOD, but my miss is low on the clubface and the ball just fell out of the air with the i230s, so I need more forgiveness low on the clubface.  Very dependent on what your miss is.

Edited by J_Tizzle
  • Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

First, go to a PGA superstore or a golf galaxy and ask to hit a few of the new irons. Look at what's on the shelf. Get and idea of what you like the look of. Most of the irons in this category have reviews on youtube. Then, when you get an idea of what you like for irons, go get fit. 

Most brands have a compact/semi-compact iron with some tech that will offer forgiveness.  Different people on here are going to have favorites to them, but all of these irons perform very well. You have to figure out what works for you.

Titleist: T150 and T200

Taylormade: P770 and P790

Ping: /i230/i525  -- maybe even the i59 if you're a decent ball striker

Cobra: King Tour/Forged Tech

Srixon: ZX5

Callaway: Apex Pro/Apex

Mizuno: 223/225/JPX 923 Forged -- I believe they are coming out with replacements for the 223/225

My personal favorites in this category are the T150 and the King Tour. I seen the new Apex Pro in person, but I have not yet hit it. It looks good, and might be up your alley.