2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The perfect irons !!??!!

Cblount1121

I’ve seen that many of you are like me, always trying something new; always trying to find the perfect club or set of clubs. Over the years I’ve tried way too many iron sets and have come to realize that the Ping i210’s are as close as I’m going to find as the perfect set for me. 

I’m foolishly on my 3rd set and am going to stop looking (***fingers crossed***as I’ve said that before). After missing my i210’s, I stumbled on a set that was in mint condition and quickly remembered why I love them so much. They’re not necessarily the best at any one thing (I’ve sets that are longer, feel softer…), but altogether I'm not sure I could find a better set for me. They simply work. 

What is the “perfect” set of irons you have found that fit you?

• Like 3

PXG 0317CB.....best yet....but nevertheless I'm still looking

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

My Titleist 681s.

• Like 4

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

T100, G2. I tried the new T200 but feels like trash by comparison. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 - Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR2 22.00 - Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

There is no such thing as perfect irons for anyone. We don't ever play the game of golf the same way twice in a row. Only until we realize that new isn't always better and you can't buy a better game we will learn to be content as we buy sell and trade because most of us have the money to do so and just enjoy trying out new equipment. It's an addiction a hobby as some of us are so head strong and won't admit that it's the Indian not the Arrow and will no way try any different brand out there, and then you will always have those that can only play a brand that their favorite Pro plays.

I don't know how many times over the last 15 years I said oh I have found the perfect set of irons only to find the next set that's is perfect Haha. You will have many who have had bad experiences with customer support or warranty issues as that will keep people away from playing certain brands and unfortunately we all have had bad experiences one time or another. I enjoy listening to people who have been playing the same set of irons for the last 5 years or longer. Maybe they are just tired of spending and wasting money on all the marketing hype out there. There is an awful lot of BS out there. 

Now will you say they are perfect for you when you shoot well above your handicap. I can mis-hit any name brand out there and hit every named brand well on certain days. So for now I can easily say my Titleist T-350's are one of the very best set of irons I've ever owned but being properly fitted in some new PING's, Callaway's Srixon's etc I could hit them just as nice but that doesn't mean they are perfect for me.  I like to hear what works the best for you and why and what did you play perviously, but as far as finding or playing the perfect set of irons we will all continue down the road and search for the holy grail of clubs. For now my T-350's is working better for me then all my other sets I've owned as every round I always seem to hit that one shot I thought I could never pull off before. Now Mizuno JPX 923 HMP would be my #2 spot, as it's a toss up for the next 3,4 and 5 spots. So it's like I'm listening to a broken record really as hope my search is over for I only went thru 3 sets of irons this year and hope my bag is complete for all of 2024 Lol!

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

1 hour ago, Tiptx1122 said:

There is no such thing as perfect irons for anyone. We don't ever play the game of golf the same way twice in a row. Only until we realize that new isn't always better and you can't buy a better game we will learn to be content as we buy sell and trade because most of us have the money to do so and just enjoy trying out new equipment. It's an addiction a hobby as some of us are so head strong and won't admit that it's the Indian not the Arrow and will no way try any different brand out there, and then you will always have those that can only play a brand that their favorite Pro plays.

I don't know how many times over the last 15 years I said oh I have found the perfect set of irons only to find the next set that's is perfect Haha. You will have many who have had bad experiences with customer support or warranty issues as that will keep people away from playing certain brands and unfortunately we all have had bad experiences one time or another. I enjoy listening to people who have been playing the same set of irons for the last 5 years or longer. Maybe they are just tired of spending and wasting money on all the marketing hype out there. There is an awful lot of BS out there. 

Now will you say they are perfect for you when you shoot well above your handicap. I can mis-hit any name brand out there and hit every named brand well on certain days. So for now I can easily say my Titleist T-350's are one of the very best set of irons I've ever owned but being properly fitted in some new PING's, Callaway's Srixon's etc I could hit them just as nice but that doesn't mean they are perfect for me.  I like to hear what works the best for you and why and what did you play perviously, but as far as finding or playing the perfect set of irons we will all continue down the road and search for the holy grail of clubs. For now my T-350's is working better for me then all my other sets I've owned as every round I always seem to hit that one shot I thought I could never pull off before. Now Mizuno JPX 923 HMP would be my #2 spot, as it's a toss up for the next 3,4 and 5 spots. So it's like I'm listening to a broken record really as hope my search is over for I only went thru 3 sets of irons this year and hope my bag is complete for all of 2024 Lol!

Probably took my post a little too seriously. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cblount1121 said:

What is the “perfect” set of irons you have found that fit you?

The current perfect set are Tour Edge Exotic C721.  Everything about them works from the KBS TGI shafts to the incredibly forgiving heads. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

If you had my swing, you would realize that not only is there not a perfect set of irons, but there is not a single set of irons ever made that work correctly.  AND, there is no such thing as a forgiving iron.  AND, there is no such thing as good turf interaction.  AND...sorry, my swing has gone to crap lately.  Gotta blame something other than my pitiful ability.  Did I mention that no one makes a driver that will hit the ball straight?

• Haha 1

The next ones will be perfect.  
currently playing ok with the irons. 
I series always consultant and often forgives my mistakes.  
blades not as consistent but they enhance the good ones. 
perfect will arrive, for me, with the new blueprint blade.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

I feel like the perfect irons have to complement my game and my personality. I like a unique look, too.

So the PXGs 317 irons in my bag fit the bill. I got a good look at how well I'll be able to hit them last week,  but acclimation is an up and down process... lol...

Yet, a well struck ball is smooth and carries nicely. I like my "standard" shot to peak high. I don't want piercing shots for rollout. Something that would crest over a tall tree in the distance.

There are a lot of clubs that would allow for that. That's where the unique looks came in. Hehe

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Oh,  and I feel I must add that there are no perfect irons.

Clearly, he did not intend to imply "the irons that suit you best over others you have used."

I think.... like others.... he literally meant PERFECT. Clearly he could not have meant the former......

😐

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

4 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

PXG 0317CB.....best yet....but nevertheless I'm still looking

Oh...I should probably add the P7TW irons...man those Tiger irons are unreal good.

Guess, I should say perfect set of CB irons, and perfect set of Blades.

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The perfect set is always the next set. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, Cblount1121 said:

Probably took my post a little too seriously. 

No it just opened the door to more opinions to what you mentioned as I liked it. You will get all different kind of comments as I will say my Titleist T-350's are as close as I will find for me when it comes to a perfect set of irons. Especially since I just bought a Folds of Honor Titleist bag to put my irons in.  I'm sure there's a few who already had a matching bag for their irons but.....How many people went out and bought a bag to match what they think is their perfect set of irons......

ADB314E0-5A7D-43A4-8821-BB88669B407E_1_105_c.jpeg.b87f19d29dfafa18e9ceb8fb44ba0dd6.jpeg

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 3

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Ben Hogan PTx.

They’re the perfect size for me in the player’s cb category, they’re very forgiving, feel great, excellent turf interaction with the v sole.

They tick every box for me

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

The Proto Concepts co5’s I have in the bag are close to perfect for me.  The Fourteen TB5’s were pretty close too, although if I were going to stick with them I would have probably combo with the TB7’s..  Neither offers much, if any, functional improvement over the i210’s that I really loved.  I like the way the Protos look and feel better and perhaps that translates to better confidence but there certainly is no data to back that up.  If you get along with i210’s they are tough to beat,  

Titleist 755's.  Played them since 2006.  Unfortunately they are dropping off the USGA conforming list this year.  I will be forced to find some new irons before the 2024 competitive season.

I have no idea what I'm going to get at this point.  Especially since my irons are 4 degrees flat and as far as I can tell, I can't even test irons at 4 degrees flat, as the flattest my local fitters offer is 2 degrees flat.  I'm feeling quite lost at this point.

IDK, after watching my buddy stripe his T150's...it became apparent that they were special.  They look very very clean and classy, sound great, workable, with plenty of forgiveness.  Oh and they are pretty long.  After some years have passed I think it may be a contender for some of the best irons created.  

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue +

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, otto6457 said:

Titleist 755's.  Played them since 2006.  Unfortunately they are dropping off the USGA conforming list this year.  I will be forced to find some new irons before the 2024 competitive season.

I have no idea what I'm going to get at this point.  Especially since my irons are 4 degrees flat and as far as I can tell, I can't even test irons at 4 degrees flat, as the flattest my local fitters offer is 2 degrees flat.  I'm feeling quite lost at this point.

I can't recall what the 755 profile looks like, but you could get a single iron or two of a Titleist design that you like the look of for testing.  Have a club maker install the same shaft that's in your 755's and bend them to the same lie angle,... along with an actual loft comparison, so you can decide what you want the loft to be

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SVTM5 said:

Mizuno MP-32. Played them for 10 years. 

Still in my bag after almost 20 years.

• Like 1

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"