2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Questions for good putters

For those who are absolutely deadly at putting, I several question I'm hoping you can answer.

1) how do you start your stroke? I've seen some people do a forward press as a trigger to start it.

2) Do you want to feel your putter lag behind your hands? I've seen Brad Faxon and Tiger talk about have the putter head behind your hands throughout the stroke.

3) Do you like have soft wrists (like Faxon), or do you try to lock everything in place (like Bryson)?

4) What putter do you use?

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

1) the actual stroke starts with a forward press, but there are a couple of things like breathing out and visualization that take place before so the forward press motion is just somewhere there taking place automatically. 

3) very individual. my putting coach wanted me to hold 9/10 grip pressure inside 2 meters, but I put horribly with it. try things out and note SG putting to see how it performs.

7 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1) how do you start your stroke? I've seen some people do a forward press as a trigger to start it.

Not entirely sure what you mean. The putter head is pretty light on the ground, so… I take it back.

2) Do you want to feel your putter lag behind your hands? I've seen Brad Faxon and Tiger talk about have the putter head behind your hands throughout the stroke.

I have a tiny (imperceptible really, unless you're measuring it or really paying attention) float load.

3) Do you like have soft wrists (like Faxon), or do you try to lock everything in place (like Bryson)?

Much more of A.

Really doesn't matter — I can out-putt people with anything. It's a flat piece (usually) of metal (usually) at the end of a stick.

It's a 33" Columbia (from the Classic Series) Edel. 375g head, 60g counter-weight. Round grip.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Starting the putting stroke me for me is when I do my last glance down the line of putt, when my eyes come back to the ball there is a very slight hesitation then the putter head starts going back. Its a much more organic way to start the stroke to me.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

IMO there are only three things to master for putting.  And most have the physical capability of doing all three.

1) read the putt properly.  And a big part of that is you cannot know what your line is if you don’t know what speed you will hit the putt.

which leads us to #2

2) speed control…speed control…speed control.  Most putts are missed more by distance than direction.

3) learn to start the putts on your intended line

Thats all.  Great putting is making the correct read and then rolling the ball your intended distance on your intended line.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

IMO there are only three things to master for putting.  And most have the physical capability of doing all three.

1) read the putt properly.  And a big part of that is you cannot know what your line is if you don’t know what speed you will hit the putt.

which leads us to #2

2) speed control…speed control…speed control.  Most putts are missed more by distance than direction.

Thats all.  Great putting is making the correct read and then rolling the ball your intended distance on your intended line.

We call it "read, bead, and speed," but the last one is the most important by far, and affects the other two more than people often credit it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Not entirely sure what you mean. The putter head is pretty light on the ground, so… I take it back.

I have a tiny (imperceptible really, unless you're measuring it or really paying attention) float load.

Much more of A.

Really doesn't matter — I can out-putt people with anything. It's a flat piece (usually) of metal (usually) at the end of a stick.

It's a 33" Columbia (from the Classic Series) Edel. 375g head, 60g counter-weight. Round grip.

Round grip? oh la la

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

which leads us to #2

This is pretty much it, have a perfect stroke but cannot read a line or have the right speed then nothing will drop. But have an ugly stroke and have line and speed down you'll be dropping putts like nothing. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

For those who are absolutely deadly at putting, I several question I'm hoping you can answer.

I'm a better putter than I give myself credit for, only because my scores are tied to my putting.

1. I'm a really big fan of tempo training. I use tour tempo. To the beats I set the head, set the feet, look at the hole, and then go. All of those steps are in-step with the tour tempo rhythm. I love to feel the lead wrist in about 60% control of the stroke and I love to feel like I "putt the grip". 

2. I like the putter to feel more 1 piece at all times. I don't feel a lag but when I do, it's because I've gotten quick with transition and the handle outruns the head. 

3. I'm in between. I like a firm-ish lead wrist ala stricker. Lock in that lead wrist and go. But not robotic like dechambeau. 

4. Spider gt max with weights forward, pxg m16 shaft, ss pistol gt 1 grip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1. I had a lot of success this year with using a metronome to practice. Set it to 76 bpm on the practice green before my rounds and time everyone to each click. Set the putter behind the ball, then feet (IMPORTANT TO SET PUTTER BEFORE FEET), look left *click*, back at ball *click*, look left *click*, back at ball *click*, start stroke on the next click, impact ball on next click. After listening to the beat on the practice green for about 10-15 minutes, I can get good at clicking my tongue to the exact beat on the course while putting.

2. no, that's too much thinking. just putt.

3. on the firm to soft spectrum, I would fall directly in the middle.

4. Changes very often even though I would consider myself a good putter. Used a scotty cameron fastback 1.5 for a solid portion of the year, then switched to a counterbalance and also had success.

13 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

In because the information isn’t necessarily the province of “deadly” putters, but fun topic. 😀

1. It just starts. 
2. Not quite an accurate description of Faxon suggesting putter lags behind the hands throughout the swing.  He talks about feel in loading the putter in the backswing and a feel of “lag” in transition but of course the putter isn’t lagging behind his hands in the backswing and he believes in a release of the putter head through impact, so no having the putter behind the hands throughout the forward swing of the putter - definite release.  I subscribe to the Faxon and Tiger notion but no conscious thought whatsoever about “lag”. 
3. Grip is firm but wrists definitely not locked. 
4. LaMont Mann custom. He deserves the attention so a couple pics. 

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

I wouldn't say deadly but better than many, especially at lag putting.

No forward press, no analytics or engineering.

I visualize, feel it then make it happen.

Since 2012, have used an SC California Monterey. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

14 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

only here to comment on your 2nd point. the best reference i heard as it relates to tempo/acceleration in putting that really helped me out was in a lesson from david orr.

think about a swing set as a kid and when you provide the most acceleration/when you're gliding. that is the thought/feel that really helped me. he also recommends having your practice strokes be continuous so you can better feel that as opposed to start/stopping 

• Like 2

1. My head turns back from my last look and I firm up the last 2 fingers of my left hand and go.

2. I don't think about my stroke but I do practise a lot with closed eyes for heightening the senses.

3. My left wrist is firm, always. Right is light/soft for touch.

4. 2 ball versa 35" 74*

P1010904.jpg

• Like 1

Whatever works.

No particular style here, I have an alignment on the Ball, lined up with the alignment on my putter. Only thought rattling around in my head is "every putt is straight, if you hit it hard enough". Sooo many of my buddies in our league leave their approach shots short, then their putts. When they hit a green in regulation, they are happy with a 2 putt par. Point being, kill kill kill, attack attack attack, if you are not comfortable with a 4 foot come backer, why leave it 4 feet short.

P. S. The leaving the pin in rule is the greatest rule change eva! ✌️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

In because the information isn’t necessarily the province of “deadly” putters, but fun topic. 😀

1. It just starts. 
2. Not quite an accurate description of Faxon suggesting putter lags behind the hands throughout the swing.  He talks about feel in loading the putter in the backswing and a feel of “lag” in transition but of course the putter isn’t lagging behind his hands in the backswing and he believes in a release of the putter head through impact, so no having the putter behind the hands throughout the forward swing of the putter - definite release.  I subscribe to the Faxon and Tiger notion but no conscious thought whatsoever about “lag”. 
3. Grip is firm but wrists definitely not locked. 
4. LaMont Mann custom. He deserves the attention so a couple pics. 

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

Agree about Faxon and Tiger but replying cause that putter is just so sweet. I'd make an offer but prob couldn't afford it and I've sworn off buying new putters anyway

• Haha 2

1.) Yes 

2.) No clue 

3.) 8 out of 10 grip pressure

4.) Currently a Daddy Long Legs but I experiment a lot (no reason other than for fun). 

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, Ripper212 said:

Agree about Faxon and Tiger but replying cause that putter is just so sweet. I'd make an offer but prob couldn't afford it and I've sworn off buying new putters anyway

Haha, thanks - LaMont is a wizard and so you’ll feel better I’d never sell it - but ….. he’d make you one for a reasonable price! 

20 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1) I tend to bounce the putter slightly a few times, followed by a very slight forward press

2) I don’t have this specific feel

3) softer wrists, less so on short putts but it’s not by adding tension, just a feeling of quieter hands because it’s a smaller stroke

4) SC Squareback 2 w/ Superstroke Pistol 1.0

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Mental gymnastics about starting the stroke are no more than throwing a dart or picking up a coffee cup. When I’m ready, I do it.

No conscious lag (or forward press) since my putter loft is low and no delofting needed. Another thing not to think about.

Grip is firm enough to keep the head synched with arm and hand motion. The more things are uncoupled, the more inconsistent they can be.

Putters of my own design.

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1) I look at the target 3 times. After the 2nd look, I hover the putter and then look at the target again. Once I look back at the ball, I start my stroke

2) I would say, my impact position is virtually identical to my setup position with my putter except by impact I'm looking at my target (YouTube Luke Donald, for a good example)

3) I do let my wrists and hands move freely during my motion (I always trying to keep my putter putting at my belly button)

4) Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Does anyone know who makes this training aid?  I’ve used the clips but this appears to be another level.

Adam Svensson was using this at Pebble this week.

image.jpeg.dbb70e484377fdaa8ca84f304fc3e5a0.jpeg

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Been better at putting the last couple of years, to the point where I've had multiple random playing partners comment on the number of good putts that I make.

O-works Jailbird Mini, double bend shaft.  Stable head, and the dark finish fits my eye better.

I went back to forward pressing to start the stroke, which definitely helps.

Biggest impact?  Has a no-taper superstroke grip (2.0 I think?), and I take my grip wherever the stance dictates so that my eyes are directly over the ball.

So my hands are always in a slightly different place -- ball above my feet, below my feet, uphill, downhill, legs wider because it's windy, etc.  I just put the putter down, take my stance, get my eyes over the ball, then take my final grip.  Forward press and go.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:20 AM, Shilgy said:

which leads us to #2

This x1000

In every putter lesson I give I get people to read four putts (two breaks each way) of varying slope. Out of a lot of attempts from people I've had one person read all four putts well. EVERYONE else has under-read the breaks and their mechanics provably suffer for it