2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Lydia Ko ... downside of professional golf

ssp

As Mr. Foster points out, she wasn’t complaining, she was responding to a question, and it wouldn’t have been polite or politic to respond to a question from the press about the worst part of her job with, “The dumbass questions from dumbass reporters.”

I feel sorry for professional athletes because they are largely loving a life they did not chose for themselves.  They are largely deprived of a normal life and the opportunity to become fully actualized human beings.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

As Mr. Foster points out, she wasn’t complaining, she was responding to a question, and it wouldn’t have been polite or politic to respond to a question from the press about the worst part of her job with, “The dumbass questions from dumbass reporters.”

I feel sorry for professional athletes because they are largely loving a life they did not chose for themselves.  They are largely deprived of a normal life and the opportunity to become fully actualized human beings.

12 minutes ago, kmbean said:

I caddied for years, they were more prevalent on ladies day.  Some of the older male members used them as well plus would sport a white towel/napkin hanging out of their pants.  Could never figure out what that was all about 😂 

They probably thought they were "hip" wearing it.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

I guess in Lydia's life, her pressure perspective is derived largely from her golf career.

Keith Miller was a famous Australian Test cricketer who was a fighter pilot during WW2. He flew night missions over Germany and Occupied France. A swashbuckling Errol Flynn type of character.

Quizzed about the pressure in the Test arena, he replied. "Pressure? There's no pressure in Test cricket. Real pressure is when you are flying a Mosquito with a Messerschmitt up your ar*e!"

I suppose it all comes down to experience giving you a broader perspective.

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

12 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

As to golf being different, nah, not really. Messi, The Williams, Hamilton, Kobe, Rossi, Tiger, Rory, Phelps; pick any top athlete you want, and the media is going to have at them after every round, game, match, series, and so on. That's also assuming you're ignoring social media, because if not there's even more criticism coming your way, even when your win. You'd better bring it every day or you're going to hear about it, period. That's not unique to golf. Yes, golf requires you to write down the score and replay the shots at the end if you want to double-check what you're putting down, but the scrutiny is real everywhere in the world of sport, so deal with it, or deal with feeling it working on your mind and turning you into a headcase. 

Life: the thing where almost everyone will judge you for how you perform and doesn't give an eff about the why when you fall short of expectations. That's just how it goes. I get her having been in the spotlight since being a teen can be wearing, but Woods is the same, as was Kobe, as is LeBron, as are The Williams, and many more. Some succeed, some fail, but she is not at all the only one who's been judged from an early age in a sport. Her situation is not unheard of but I can't think of many who have voiced what she has and I can't think of any who have and have been lauded for it.

To me, golf is a totally different animal than any reactionary sports.  With reactionary sports you can easily mentally block out a lot of criticism and negativity. Your mind is far less focused on the pressure, negativity, or criticism compared to golf. When adrenaline kicks in with reactionary sports, you can block out nearly everything and just let your body take over.  With golf it is much more of a mental game and you are constantly inside your head the entire round. All kinds of negativity and doubt can creep into your mind. The best players in the world are the best at brushing off the negativity, criticism, and doubt to stay positive, but even they are not immune to it. 

• Like 1

Here’s the interview.

As a player who’s 1pt from automatically joining the LPGA Hall of Fame, I enjoyed listening to what she had to say — their format is a little tough, it’s rapid fire but I appreciated she was/generally is very vulnerable by her standard. I can estimate what she meant but it doesn’t really matter. I’d rather she do the interview than not, maybe some guys would rather the content didn’t exist.

She has nearly 30 wins at 26yo so she has talent, some luck and works hard. She also shared that if she could become anyone else who’s ever lived for a bit, she’d want to step into her mom’s shoes to understand how much her mom had to sacrifice for her success — I spent more time thinking on that than the score thing. She’s a good egg, imo.

• Like 3

TSR3 8 15 18, Ventus TR Black 6x 7x 8x

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350

On 2/16/2024 at 5:20 PM, TiScape said:

Should have ended with “but it definitely is preferable to working 9-10 hours a day Monday through Friday in a cubicle for a business/company that you have no passion for or interest in for roughly 1/3 of the $ until your in your mid 60s because you have to pay the bills.”

🤷🏼‍♂️

Of course she knows that. And probably also what she find hard is part of the job.

But - You should put that implicit question to all, inluding wrx’ers reading this, people having grown up in a neighborhood where daytime work is not the only answer to ”what to do with life” . People with some academia or wealth down the generations can’t really understand how deep job goes for job jobbers. Never uttered, never discussed. To chose something like art, research or becoming a professional golfer is so far from possible. Having, through success in my daytime job, ended up in a neighborhood where one bloody well could become a pro golfer, that is like the deepest insight - how hard it is for a person born in the land of possibilities to understand the world of working people.

some might have seen the old Robin Williams film Dead Poets Society. I have grown to get bigger sympathies for the father of the lead person boy, and less for the Captain oh my captain. 

And no this aint Politics, this is Sociology and Philosophy.

Edited by Hankshank
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Let me gush about Lydia for a moment (surprised to hear a bit of negativity about her comments, and would like to push back just a bit). I'm a gigantic fan. Absolutely love that girl, in part because of what she she done for the game - the many young women she has inspired not only because she is so damn good, but because she is also so engaging, almost freaking goofy at times. If you can dominate a tournament, and make funny faces at the same time, I simply do not know how anyone can't like her. 

She isn't just a good golfer, she is close to a GOAT of her era. On performance alone, I expect (at least hope) to see her get HoF this year. A level that about 30 women have achieved in 70 years or something - she's that damn good. She actually became what Nike thought Michelle Wie was supposed to become. 

But it is way more than that. There are a few women (having watched golf for decades) that stand out for not only how stunning their golf is, but also who they are. Annika. Lorena. I'd put her in that category. They are all stellar, but also feet-on-the-ground humble. Annika has done so much behind the scenes to develop women's golf that the LPGA itself would be very different (and lesser) if she hadn't been there. And she does most of it quietly, you don't even realize what she did (and is actually still doing).

Lorena? Can't say enough about her. Obviously played golf at an incredibly high level. (And I lived in Mexico for a couple years - met her at some parties, just an amazing human being. One of those people that you somehow just feel happy after you've talked to them.) She quietly made it a point, when playing in the US, to go into the groundskeeper sheds and meet and talk to the minimum wage Mexicans that actually do a lot of grunt work that keep so many US courses looking so good. Went out of her way to acknowledge the people that are usually invisible and ignored. Like Annika, she didn't do it for the press, she just did it because that is who she is. 

Lydia is one of those rare few. Her game itself is astounding. Two major titles, 28 total wins, 125 weeks as the No. 1 ranked player in the world. When she is at her best, the precision of her short game is something to behold. She's like the Mickelson of the LPGA. I've seen her do things with wedges that make me go "wow, that was freaking magic, I wouldn't even have thought of trying that". She isn't a scientist golfer, she's a feel golfer, an artist. But the human side of her has always been solid. Her management firm always tried to push her to do more publicity, but she has always resisted a bit. "I'm not a celebrity, I'm an athlete." 

In 2015 or 2016 or something (if I remember right), she was named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people, and didn't bother to make the trip to New York to attend the red-carpet party. Wasn't important to her. And when she was invited to attend a pro-am party in Atlantic City a few months later, she instead served her time as a volunteer at a local food bank. She had promised. That is who this woman is.

So no one should be hatin' on her. Women's golf is simply better because she plays the game. Simple as that. 

This post nails it. I mentioned it yesterday in a different thread. Looks like Bob and perhaps a couple others are responding more so based on the fact that they are big admirers of Lydias. If JT or a similar male golfer make this same statement, I’d bet you that no knights on white horses are riding up to save the day. I’d go as far as saying the reactions would be downright brutal 🤷🏼‍♂️

*just my opinion 😊

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tatertot said:

What was biased? Most of it was a quote.

Nothing to do with their opinion on the subject.

It's merely a matter of their inability to correctly use English.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

10 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

To me, golf is a totally different animal than any reactionary sports.  With reactionary sports you can easily mentally block out a lot of criticism and negativity. Your mind is far less focused on the pressure, negativity, or criticism compared to golf. When adrenaline kicks in with reactionary sports, you can block out nearly everything and just let your body take over.  With golf it is much more of a mental game and you are constantly inside your head the entire round. All kinds of negativity and doubt can creep into your mind. The best players in the world are the best at brushing off the negativity, criticism, and doubt to stay positive, but even they are not immune to it. 

As someone else pointed out, in reactionary sports you have an entire week after the fact of having to get the play-by-play of where you got it done or screwed up. In reactionary sports you have to live in your own head after the play and on the sidelines and in the locker room at halftime when your coach and teammates are giving it to you if you slipped up. Every theater of competition has its ways of applying pressure. I don't agree at all that it's easy to block out. An entire section of fans yelling at you because you didn't get it done is coming in those ear holes and you'd better be able to overcome it. 

Can't agree at all that reactionary sports somehow give players a pass on feeling the pressure when they need to execute. The best in the world find a way to get beyond the noise and thrive, or they don't. The upside with golf is that if you can tame your own mind and focus on what you need to do, the outside distractions are far less in number & intensity. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

As someone else pointed out, in reactionary sports you have an entire week after the fact of having to get the play-by-play of where you got it done or screwed up. In reactionary sports you have to live in your own head after the play and on the sidelines and in the locker room at halftime when your coach and teammates are giving it to you if you slipped up. Every theater of competition has its ways of applying pressure. I don't agree at all that it's easy to block out. An entire section of fans yelling at you because you didn't get it done is coming in those ear holes and you'd better be able to overcome it. 

Can't agree at all that reactionary sports somehow give players a pass on feeling the pressure when they need to execute. The best in the world find a way to get beyond the noise and thrive, or they don't. The upside with golf is that if you can tame your own mind and focus on what you need to do, the outside distractions are far less in number & intensity. 

Not saying it is easy to deal with the negative backlash of coach and teammates, but it is totally different than golf. With team sports is more about the team than the individual, so there is somewhat less pressure. In golf everything is based solely on the individual's performance which is way more pressure, in my opinion. Nobody else to take the heat, but the individual in golf.

There is a lot of etiquette rules in golf specifically with distractions because it affects golf performance a lot. There are not really any etiquette rules in reactionary team sports. You are way more in tune to your surrounding in golf than team reactionary sports. 

Another big element that adds to the pressure is pro golfers do not get paid unless they perform. Pro team sports players get a paycheck no matter how they perform. Not saying they are not motivated, but there is a different level of pressure on pro golfers. 

46 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

A somewhat flawed, or at least not fully informed opinion. 

Yes, total fan of Lyds. But I'd have the same response to anyone saying the same thing, about any golfer. If an interviewer specifically asks a golfer to talk about the negatives of being a pro golfer, and then gets a rugby scrum of people calling them a boo-hoo whiner because they actually try to simply answer the damn question honestly, and talk about the negatives (which is what they were asked to talk about) ... well, yeah, I'll get up on whatever colored horse I can find to defend them. 

Bizarrely (and almost metaphorically) funny that people are negatively evaluating her for saying that one of the hardest things about being a pro golfer is dealing with the perpetual evaluations of everything they say and do. Not certain if the people that are doing so even understand that they are actually proving her point. But they totally are. 

Most of my opinions are at least flawed and mostly just plain wrong. Just ask @aenemated 

😂

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Most of my opinions are at least flawed and mostly just plain wrong. Just ask @aenemated 

😂

Ha! me too! I have very strong opinions based on extremely partial knowledge. Am actually smart enough to know how little I know. Hell, I'm a golfer. Took me nearly five decades to learn that I suck at it. That we all suck at it. Some of us just slightly less than others. 

All good. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

On 2/17/2024 at 4:55 AM, jholz said:

Was the OP's passage taken from a major print publication?

Regardless, someone needs to learn how to use the word "bias" in a sentence. 

On 2/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

We aren't allowed to know the source of articles any more?  But we can't get this thread in the LPGA sub-forum where we enjoy discussing LPGA players and topics? 

On 2/17/2024 at 5:18 AM, pjc said:

MSN...ok, I think that explains it...

Scratch Donkey GIF by Gasoline And Us

Within Google Chrome browser ... you can use a "Reverse Image Search" (or search the text), to find the source.

image.png.5accf2c02fb9000e16e113a1f74b50a4.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 2/18/2024 at 4:10 PM, g_nw said:

Here’s the interview.

As a player who’s 1pt from automatically joining the LPGA Hall of Fame, I enjoyed listening to what she had to say — their format is a little tough, it’s rapid fire but I appreciated she was/generally is very vulnerable by her standard. I can estimate what she meant but it doesn’t really matter. I’d rather she do the interview than not, maybe some guys would rather the content didn’t exist.

She has nearly 30 wins at 26yo so she has talent, some luck and works hard. She also shared that if she could become anyone else who’s ever lived for a bit, she’d want to step into her mom’s shoes to understand how much her mom had to sacrifice for her success — I spent more time thinking on that than the score thing. She’s a good egg, imo.

Thanks… here’s the Spotify version for those who prefer a podcast 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Within Google Chrome browser ... you can use a "Reverse Image Search" (or search the text), to find the source.

image.png.5accf2c02fb9000e16e113a1f74b50a4.png

Thanks - but …. wasn’t my point. Still in the wrong sub-forum (pretty obvious, lol) and news articles have never had an issue being sourced in the past - need to know where the stuff is coming from without internet gymnastics. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

Not saying it is easy to deal with the negative backlash of coach and teammates, but it is totally different than golf. With team sports is more about the team than the individual, so there is somewhat less pressure. In golf everything is based solely on the individual's performance which is way more pressure, in my opinion. Nobody else to take the heat, but the individual in golf.

There is a lot of etiquette rules in golf specifically with distractions because it affects golf performance a lot. There are not really any etiquette rules in reactionary team sports. You are way more in tune to your surrounding in golf than team reactionary sports. 

Another big element that adds to the pressure is pro golfers do not get paid unless they perform. Pro team sports players get a paycheck no matter how they perform. Not saying they are not motivated, but there is a different level of pressure on pro golfers. 

I'm just gonna guess that a top NBA or NFL player is a lot more likely to have to hear through the grapevine about every comment that hit traditional media, social media, and podcasts regarding their screw up than a top pro golfer. Many of the other sports might be team affairs, but if people feel you were the weakest link you're going to know it from everyone who wants to give you the heat. Once again, that's not including all the film you're going to have to watch even if you manage to avoid what all the talking heads are saying.

I mean, hell, who other sports stars date is front page news. Outside of Tiger and Rory, golfer's love lives barely get a mention, and Rory's only got it when he was tied to a known tennis star of the moment. Golf is a happy aside in comparison to the kind of attention major sports get. 

I'd much rather have a career in the relatively insulated world of golf than that of most other sports. Far, far less noise on the daily in almost every way imaginable. Yeah, if you can't deal with the voice in your own head getting down on you then you're done, but that's the case in literally any sport. If your head is a mess, all the support in the world isn't going to make those key putts for you any more than it will help you make shots or score points, etc. 

Whatever you do career-wise, you have to perform and will be judged on your performance. Thems the breaks. If you judge yourself to the point it's a constant or heavy stressor then get a therapist or whatever else you need to get through it, or get out when it gets to be too much. It seems likely once Ko gets her HoF spot that's exactly the route she plans on and will likely enjoy getting to live for something outside of her golf. I'm sure 20ish years in any spotlight can be taxing if you don't really have any interest in that side of the pro sports game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

I'm just gonna guess that a top NBA or NFL player is a lot more likely to have to hear through the grapevine about every comment that hit traditional media, social media, and podcasts regarding their screw up than a top pro golfer. Many of the other sports might be team affairs, but if people feel you were the weakest link you're going to know it from everyone who wants to give you the heat. Once again, that's not including all the film you're going to have to watch even if you manage to avoid what all the talking heads are saying.

I mean, hell, who other sports stars date is front page news. Outside of Tiger and Rory, golfer's love lives barely get a mention, and Rory's only got it when he was tied to a known tennis star of the moment. Golf is a happy aside in comparison to the kind of attention major sports get. 

I'd much rather have a career in the relatively insulated world of golf than that of most other sports. Far, far less noise on the daily in almost every way imaginable. Yeah, if you can't deal with the voice in your own head getting down on you then you're done, but that's the case in literally any sport. If your head is a mess, all the support in the world isn't going to make those key putts for you any more than it will help you make shots or score points, etc. 

Whatever you do career-wise, you have to perform and will be judged on your performance. Thems the breaks. If you judge yourself to the point it's a constant or heavy stressor then get a therapist or whatever else you need to get through it, or get out when it gets to be too much. It seems likely once Ko gets her HoF spot that's exactly the route she plans on and will likely enjoy getting to live for something outside of her golf. I'm sure 20ish years in any spotlight can be taxing if you don't really have any interest in that side of the pro sports game. 

Zero question that the scrutiny on NFL and NBA players is 100x worse than on an LPGA or PGA player. Not just in volume but in intensity. Very common to hear a top player say they have chosen to stay off “the socials”.  Just like for a big time celebrity actor/actress. Clearly most of us can only imagine what it would be like. In this day and age it probably feels a lot like being in a fishbowl. You’ll hear the old school pro athlete say something like “thank goodness this wasn’t around when I played…”. Like it or not, dealing with it is just a “hazard” of the job these days. And yes, during an interview in a moment, I can see me saying that I didn’t like it, or that it was my least favorite part of the job. 😊

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 5:11 AM, bobfoster said:

Let me gush about Lydia for a moment (surprised to hear a bit of negativity about her comments, and would like to push back just a bit). I'm a gigantic fan. Absolutely love that girl, in part because of what she she done for the game - the many young women she has inspired not only because she is so damn good, but because she is also so engaging, almost freaking goofy at times. If you can dominate a tournament, and make funny faces at the same time, I simply do not know how anyone can't like her. 

She isn't just a good golfer, she is close to a GOAT of her era. On performance alone, I expect (at least hope) to see her get HoF this year. A level that about 30 women have achieved in 70 years or something - she's that damn good. She actually became what Nike thought Michelle Wie was supposed to become. 

But it is way more than that. There are a few women (having watched golf for decades) that stand out for not only how stunning their golf is, but also who they are. Annika. Lorena. I'd put her in that category. They are all stellar, but also feet-on-the-ground humble. Annika has done so much behind the scenes to develop women's golf that the LPGA itself would be very different (and lesser) if she hadn't been there. And she does most of it quietly, you don't even realize what she did (and is actually still doing).

Lorena? Can't say enough about her. Obviously played golf at an incredibly high level. (And I lived in Mexico for a couple years - met her at some parties, just an amazing human being. One of those people that you somehow just feel happy after you've talked to them.) She quietly made it a point, when playing in the US, to go into the groundskeeper sheds and meet and talk to the minimum wage Mexicans that actually do a lot of grunt work that keep so many US courses looking so good. Went out of her way to acknowledge the people that are usually invisible and ignored. Like Annika, she didn't do it for the press, she just did it because that is who she is. 

Lydia is one of those rare few. Her game itself is astounding. Two major titles, 28 total wins, 125 weeks as the No. 1 ranked player in the world. When she is at her best, the precision of her short game is something to behold. She's like the Mickelson of the LPGA. I've seen her do things with wedges that make me go "wow, that was freaking magic, I wouldn't even have thought of trying that". She isn't a scientist golfer, she's a feel golfer, an artist. But the human side of her has always been solid. Her management firm always tried to push her to do more publicity, but she has always resisted a bit. "I'm not a celebrity, I'm an athlete." 

In 2015 or 2016 or something (if I remember right), she was named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people, and didn't bother to make the trip to New York to attend the red-carpet party. Wasn't important to her. And when she was invited to attend a pro-am party in Atlantic City a few months later, she instead served her time as a volunteer at a local food bank. She had promised. That is who this woman is.

So no one should be hatin' on her. Women's golf is simply better because she plays the game. Simple as that. 

I’m not so much into Lydia Ko’s career. But I couldn’t agree more with your depiction of Annika and Lorena.  Their personalities transcend the game in a most humane way. 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Thanks - but …. wasn’t my point. Still in the wrong sub-forum (pretty obvious, lol) and news articles have never had an issue being sourced in the past - need to know where the stuff is coming from without internet gymnastics. 

I did think about putting it in LPGA but thought the response wasn't LPGA specific.  Thought it more about Pro Golf specific.  That was my logic on where to post anyway.

1 hour ago, ssp said:

I did think about putting it in LPGA but thought the response wasn't LPGA specific.  Thought it more about Pro Golf specific.  That was my logic on where to post anyway.

Wasn't picking on you! And good point for sure - seemed more about her personal take on it but no doubt the same as pretty much any pro regardless of gender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

There should be a support group and counseling resources for stressed-out GolfWRX readers.

Have you seen the ball rollback thread?

Should also be one for people who get to play a game for a living , paid millions, and have had everyone stroking them since they were kids. Oh wait, they probably already have that. 😂

Im a huge lyd Ko fan, but lots of folks would see results based as a positive. No politics, no who you know or connections. All you need to do is win. That’s easy enough, right. 😜