2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nice Paul Azinger Interview

Nessism

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/paul-azinger-breaks-silence-parting-with-nbc/

Forced out because of money, it seems.  Or maybe he was driven out?

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

It sounds like it was about money in terms of them intentionally offering him so little he'd be embarrassed staying. He also sounds very bitter for a not bitter guy.

100% agree with the comments above about Donald. Had no idea he'd be in the booth this week but he sounded like he'd been at it for years and managed to avoid any Azinger-style hot takes. Very good flow with the rest of the crew and offered good insights based on his years playing. Chamblee was also great in the booth a few weeks back, to the tune of managing to get some of his haters to even give him a pass. The difference in his/Donald's prep and Azinger's during any broadcast of choice was apparent.

Not really a knock on Azinger as his career was as a golfer and I'm sure six figures a year with all travel & lodging included while you still get to be around your peers is hard to turn down. Whatever love he had for the position didn't ever translate into skill in the booth, though, so he shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.

Even with Kaufman & Kisner at a minimum you get guys who know all the current players and give insights while also bringing out good energy from them and other guests who come through. What does Azinger bring that's been missing since his departure? What did he add that met or exceeded the opportunity cost of having him in the chair instead of someone else or several other someones?

Networks gonna network, and if you're not performing you get the boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

No complaints here. Donald was superb in the booth this week, well prepared unlike Azinger and wasn’t too over the top. 
Azinger was horrible last year at LACC (see video below). He obviously never did any pre-tournament prep and was just freewheeling it

While I appreciate Zinger's candor here and agree with much of his assessment of the current state of golf, he's not loss to the booth.  

• Like 2

Looks like bad strategy by him and his manager. The digs at the PGA Tour seem founded in bitterness considering he said he wanted continue.

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I make no judgement regarding the job he did as an announcer, but I will say that I liked the interview.  He seems honest and unfiltered.  

He thought Monahan has done a crap job with the whole LIV business, which is fair.  And he was taken back by the way Flood treated him during the contract talks.  Also fair.  

I hope he's able to stay close to the game in some capacity.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Azinger is a fine commentator for Golf. His comments were insightful, and he gave the audience a glimpse into the players thinking at certain times in the tournament.

I recently watched last year's Honda and this year's Cognizant golf tournament.

Azinger was miles better than this year's talking heads. IMO 

And yes, like Azinger likes to say, "Pressure burst pipes" He's correct, we see it every week on the PGAT because they're usually playing for something besides cash.

Paul is an advocate for the PGAT because it's all about overcoming obstacles and persevering and fulfilling dreams as a kid. Azinger is setting himself up for another comeback. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, King_Slender said:

Zinger going to the LIV booth for sure.

Please noooo

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

There is more to this "story."    Stay tuned, please. 

Marital problems?

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

12 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

He has. Said he might go back in the interview, but didn't seem too enthused. 

let's be honest - it's easier to place judgements on other's performances than be accountable for your own.

Social media incl this forum exists on this premise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ferguson said:

There is more to this "story."    Stay tuned, please. 

8 hours ago, Ferguson said:

When it comes to TV announcers, trouble delivering on air can often be tied back to trouble " in the home." 

There it is! 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

It's not as bad as Zinger makes it out to be.  Yes the PGAT has lost some big stars and is depleted but that void will be refilled over the next few years as a new crop of young stars emerge and start winning majors.   We still get to see all the big boys at the majors and it's not like the guys that left for LIV were winning 3-4 times per year.  Other than JR most of the other guys were on the tail ends of their career and would've been lucky to win 1 Tour event in any given year.  The PGAT is doing fine and will be doing even better over the coming years.  New stars always emerge.  

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Zinger in about as much denial as big John is in this one...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

15 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

It's not as bad as Zinger makes it out to be.  Yes the PGAT has lost some big stars and is depleted but that void will be refilled over the next few years as a new crop of young stars emerge and start winning majors.   We still get to see all the big boys at the majors and it's not like the guys that left for LIV were winning 3-4 times per year.  Other than JR most of the other guys were on the tail ends of their career and would've been lucky to win 1 Tour event in any given year.  The PGAT is doing fine and will be doing even better over the coming years.  New stars always emerge.  

lol, talk about painting a wonderful "the grass is greener over here" picture.  

I personally think Azinger's interview with Rick Shields is more accurate.  The best players don't play on the PGA tour anymore, it's fragmented and the tour has absolutely suffered.  It's hard to watch.  

I have no clue what comes next, but the idea that "young new stars" will take their place and the PGA Tour will rise again seems quite optimistic.  The PGA has been hurt by their departure and it may not be the same as it was ever again.  And that changes lots of things, like for example the Ryder Cup.  Do we really want only PGA tour players on the Ryder Cup?  As viewers, I don't think so.  But ..... Maybe it will make the majors more significant this year.  I really don't know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Zinger refers more to the atmosphere surrounding golf, today.  During Zingers day, professional golf was different.  As someone older than PA, and had a relative playing on the PGA Tour in the 50-60s, what's missing most today is character and respect for being able to play on the tour.  

I don't see the PGAT the same.  Yes, it appears fine, but the undertow is there, and it's the undertow that is dragging it down.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX