The Distance Myth ?

Some years ago Trackman published an analysis they had done covering 11,000 golfers world wide, and came to the conclusion that the average golfer ( male ) has a swing speed of 93 miles per hour. That would imply an average drive of just over 200 yards.

My question is : does this reflect what you see on the course ? I know that GRWérs are all scratch and hit it over 300 yards, so probably don't ever play with 18 handicappers, but maybe one or two of you have ventured down to that level and can report on the experience ?

For myself I was initially highly sceptical of this number, so I took the liberty of measuring the swingspeed of some of my fellow club members on the first tee using a slightly less sophisticated technology, and came to the conclusion that the average was somewhere in the low 80's. Some of the seniors were down in the 60's ! I also measured drives during 2 club competitions, standing next to a fairway bunker at 200 yards distance from the tee, and only 10% of all players came anywhere close. My club I would say is about average in standard playing level, a couple of scratch players and plenty of single figure handicappers. 

My concern is that this number has been adopted worldwide as gospel by golf organisations and all kinds of decisions have been made on this basis. I just don't believe it's true and would welcome any imput from other contributors.

• Confused 1

I see usually two extremes. 100- 105 plus. Or the 65-80 crowd.  The average stated seems about right to me.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, davidy1948 said:

Some years ago Trackman published an analysis they had done covering 11,000 golfers world wide, and came to the conclusion that the average golfer ( male ) has a swing speed of 93 miles per hour. That would imply an average drive of just over 200 yards.

My question is : does this reflect what you see on the course ? I know that GRWérs are all scratch and hit it over 300 yards, so probably don't ever play with 18 handicappers, but maybe one or two of you have ventured down to that level and can report on the experience ?

For myself I was initially highly sceptical of this number, so I took the liberty of measuring the swingspeed of some of my fellow club members on the first tee using a slightly less sophisticated technology, and came to the conclusion that the average was somewhere in the low 80's. Some of the seniors were down in the 60's ! I also measured drives during 2 club competitions, standing next to a fairway bunker at 200 yards distance from the tee, and only 10% of all players came anywhere close. My club I would say is about average in standard playing level, a couple of scratch players and plenty of single figure handicappers. 

My concern is that this number has been adopted worldwide as gospel by golf organisations and all kinds of decisions have been made on this basis. I just don't believe it's true and would welcome any imput from other contributors.

Just googling around, it seems that right off the bat, you are starting with some bad information.  All the charts I saw would indicate that a swing speed of 93 MPH would result in a much longer drive, approx. 220 carry and 240 total.  A 200 yard drive would result from something closer to an 80MPH SS which I would think is closer to the average for all golfers.  That also corroborates your results.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davidy1948 said:

measuring the swingspeed of some of my fellow club members on the first tee using a slightly less sophisticated technology, and came to the conclusion that the average was somewhere in the low 80's. Some of the seniors were down in the 60's ! I also measured drives during 2 club competitions, standing next to a fairway bunker at 200 yards distance from the tee, and only 10% of all players came anywhere close.

Too many other outside variables  to dissect here, but your sample size is minuscule compared to “worldwide’ .  
Would be similar to asking those teeing off what brand/type of ball they play and extrapolating that to what “golfers worldwide” are playing.  

2 hours ago, davidy1948 said:

What did you measure swing speed with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashanks said:

Just googling around, it seems that right off the bat, you are starting with some bad information.  All the charts I saw would indicate that a swing speed of 93 MPH would result in a much longer drive, approx. 220 carry and 240 total.  A 200 yard drive would result from something closer to an 80MPH SS which I would think is closer to the average for all golfers.  That also corroborates your results.

The charts I see don’t factor in smash factors or launch angles, or if they do it’s “optimum.”  How often does the average driver actually achieve these optimum conditions?  My guess is not very often, which would account for  the shorter average, observable distances.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

The actual results might be helpful. 

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/

When it was done an average distance off the tee of 214 yards hardly seems surprising. 

Anecdotal results with questionable equipment isn’t really busting or revealing any myth. Most of the guys I play with are in that largest swing speed group of a bit above 90 on average, variety of ages all over 50 and plenty of us can hit it 250 plus. But still a tiny sample size. 

Sigh, we’re so average overall. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, davidy1948 said:

I took the liberty of measuring the swingspeed of some of my fellow club members

Are you in the US? I could imagine a certain barrier to entry ($$$) might bias your sample population toward the lower end of swing speed. Maybe I'm wrong...

But in my limited experience, the rando bombers I get paired up with at public courses tend to be young, athletic, and broke.

Edited by KD1

4 hours ago, SNIPERBBB said:

So what's the myth we're talking about? 

Guessing that, while maybe the TM mean swing speed is correct (just for the sake of argument), the myth is that it's a bell curve-shaped distribution, where maybe it should instead be viewed as a bi-lobed distribution?  With medians for both lobes at ~100-105 and 75-80 respectively?

I genuinely don't know.  What does the Arccos or similar datasets say for drive distance (once you discard the 0 and similar outliers) and maybe we can back into swing speed from those distances?

The only myth regarding distance is that so many people just accept swinging slowly instead of doing relatively easy things to improve speed. A healthy male under 50 years old should be swinging over 100 mph with minimal effort. If not, they either have physical limitations, a terrible swing or simply have not tried to increase speed.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a direct correlation between handicap and swing speed. Better players swing faster in almost all cases and its extremely hard to be competitive as a short hitter.

If you did your same "study" at a higher level event the speeds and distances would drastically increase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stryper said:

The charts I see don’t factor in smash factors or launch angles, or if they do it’s “optimum.”  How often does the average driver actually achieve these optimum conditions?  My guess is not very often, which would account for  the shorter average, observable distances.

I do think this contributes to a pretty wide disparity between "what an average amateur thinks they drive the ball" vs "average driving distance for that same amateur."

Because as a higher cap when I think about how far I drive the ball, I don't think about my average. I think about my average on good strikes. Not necessarily "perfect" strikes, but good. My swing speed with driver is ~100 mph, so that means that if I hit the ball decently, I'm going to hit it between 230-250. So I'd probably tell you that my "average" drive distance is ~240. 

My speed is limited by my mechanics, not my physical ability, so occasionally I'll sequence everything JUST right and be in that 260-270 range. But FAR more often that that I'll mishit one, or duck hook, or not get the face closed and it's a high wipey push fade, etc, and it goes <230. And some of the "bad ones" are bad enough that I'd be pretty sure that my actual "average" drive distance is <230. 

I'm sure when you look at a sample size of 11,000 golfers and you don't filter out those bad strikes, it brings those averages WAY down. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Averaging swing speed of the everyone from those who are 80 and/or don’t really play golf but randomly maybe once a year to the top long drive professionals is like trying to find the average top speed of all motor vehicles. Like you have a 30 year old farm/feed truck with 3 gears and probably multiple cylinders not firing maybe tops out around 40 mph in the same pool as a top fuel dragsters doing 300 plus in a quarter mile. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

4 hours ago, 596 said:

Data used seems a bit off. A 93 swing speed will produce well over 200.  I'm at 87 and average near 220 with a few outliers at 250.  

I was about to say how impressed I was that you were hitting it 220 at age 87…..now where are those reading glasses?🧐

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I do think this contributes to a pretty wide disparity between "what an average amateur thinks they drive the ball" vs "average driving distance for that same amateur."

Because as a higher cap when I think about how far I drive the ball, I don't think about my average. I think about my average on good strikes. Not necessarily "perfect" strikes, but good. My swing speed with driver is ~100 mph, so that means that if I hit the ball decently, I'm going to hit it between 230-250. So I'd probably tell you that my "average" drive distance is ~240. 

My speed is limited by my mechanics, not my physical ability, so occasionally I'll sequence everything JUST right and be in that 260-270 range. But FAR more often that that I'll mishit one, or duck hook, or not get the face closed and it's a high wipey push fade, etc, and it goes <230. And some of the "bad ones" are bad enough that I'd be pretty sure that my actual "average" drive distance is <230. 

I'm sure when you look at a sample size of 11,000 golfers and you don't filter out those bad strikes, it brings those averages WAY down. 

Hey man, 250 yd hang time with 120 yd curve to the right is still 250 yds!!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, stryper said:

Smash factor, swing speed, whatever you've got, I'll agree that "average is average" and I would say the average driving distance for all golfers could be around 200 yards.   And again, it hard to get a perspective because everyone around here is flying it 317 yards.   Or so they believe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dashanks said:

.   And again, it hard to get a perspective because everyone around here is flying it 317 yards.   Or so they believe.

That's really the only distance mutt, what people believe how far they hit the ball. 

One of the things any long term reader of this forum should know is that Average is such a meaningless figure as its so context dependent.  Even when comparing distance averages amongst different handicap groupings is of limited value. As you move towards higher skilled players the dispersion of averages will tighten up, you'll have some outliers coming from the shorter end of the distance chart. As handicaps get higher the dispersion is all over the place and your outliers will be on the long end of the distance chart. 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind